| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: To nonstick or not to nonstick?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:05 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I don't think you need nonstick pots. I have one really good non stick skillet, but the stuff I put in pots is usually some sort of liquid like sauce or soup and there's no real reason you need non stick for that.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:21 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

ijustdiedinside wrote:
I don't think you need nonstick pots. I have one really good non stick skillet, but the stuff I put in pots is usually some sort of liquid like sauce or soup and there's no real reason you need non stick for that.

Agreed. The most you are probably going to do in a pot is brown some garlic and onions, which you will likely then deglaze with some stock or other liquid, so sticking shouldn't really be an issue. I have a cheapo (from Walmart or Target) stainless steel pot that has lasted for 10 years. It has a nice heavy bottom and heats evenly. If there is stuck on stuff, Barkeeper's Friend does the trick. I even put it in the dishwasher (your mileage may vary). I'm sure an expensive stainless steel (without nonstick) will serve you very well, but a huge investment isn't a requirement.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:24 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I tend to cook just about everything in pots though, not just liquidy stuff. I make stews, grains, beans, tofu scramble....basically anything that's too big for a pan. But it does seem to be true that the nonstick pots aren't all that much nonstickier than the one pot I have which is stainless steel. So I think I will probably go with stainless steel.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:06 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Yes to thick bottomed stainless steel. We have this set from Ikea, and I use those pots for everything. I almost never burn stuff, and when I do, it can easily be scrubbed off. Also, they have cup-measures indicated on the inside!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:31 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I have both. And I USE both, frequently. I guess it depends on what cook and what you need.

I cook oil free a lot, or with cooking spray, so the nice non-stick (think it is andonized actually) gets used an awful lot. I couln't go without it. Especially for my proteins (tofu, tempeh, setian - only use cooking spray to sautee) It is a caphalon, and it cost $25 at TJ Maxx. It is REALLY nice. Killer deal

But I also have a nice stainless steel sautee pan (and big pot, med pot, small pot) the whole set. Got that as a present from Bed Bath and Beyond, and I know it cost just over $100 with the coupon.

I would reccomend getting one nice non-stick and one nice stainless steel saute pan. You can get good deals at discount department stores like TJ maxx or Ross. Or go to Bed Bath and Beyond, they have coupons online for like 20% off! For $100 you can get really nice pans. I like caphalon personally.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:18 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I got a set of Revereware - stainless steel with copper bottoms - for my bridal shower 35 years ago and aside from the teapot still use them every day.

Teapots I melted because I didn't hear the whistles, and went through 4 Revereware ones and a few cheapo ones before I finally discovered electric tea pots with auto-shutoff.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:28 am 
Dead by dawn

I have some copper-clad Revereware and some aluminum-clad Farberware, both sets are 20+ years old and I have no reason to believe I won't still be using them 20 years from now. Seriously, invest in some good stainless and it'll last you forever. I did succumb to the lure of shiny red nonstick pots a few years back, but they're cheapo crepe and will be in a landfill somewhere while I'm still using the shiitake out of my stainlesss.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:47 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Thrift store, definitely! you can get really really good stainless steel cookware that has been used for 30 years and have 30 more years in them. also, you would be able to spend less than you originally planned and can use the extra money on something else! like a party dinner to celebrate your new pots.

if you can't find thrifted pots, i suggest IKEA.. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20149533/ this serie won a design award! it's supposed to be really good. and you can buy the pots separate.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30101168/ this set is decent enough, i have a lot of friends who have it, and it lasts at least 3-4 years for most people (if not longer).

Non stick pots are silly. they die much faster. but if i were you, i'd totally thrift this.