| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 365 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Sandwiches Save the Day! Celine and Tami's new boo
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:51 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I tried putting dough (for pita bread) in the oven with the light on, but it wasn't quite enough for it to rise fully. My go-to spot in my old house was in the bathroom with the heat lamps on, but there doesn't actually seem to be a switch for the heat lamps in my new place! Weird. But it's a really nice day here today so I shouldn't have to worry about the cold for much longer.

I've got quinoa protein wraps for work lunches this week! Just had my first one and it was great- I used tomato and basil mountain bread (a super, super thin flat bread) instead of a tortilla which made it extra delicious. Nice and light-tasting, which is awesome on a warm day like today, but still filling and really satisfying.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:21 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

bookwormbethie wrote:
I don't have a waffle-iron (I have strongly hinted to my hubby that I would like one for Xmas) and I'm wondering if I can use the waffle batter to make pancakes instead? Not having made up any of the waffle batter yet, I'm wondering if it whips up a bit "thick," if I could just thin it out with a bit of water or soymilk and make pancakes instead.

It should work just fine, it did for me with other recipes in the past when I was waffle iron-less. I haven't tried it with these ones, but like you said, if the batter looks too thick, just thin it out with a little milk.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:45 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

PS: the only waffle recipe I wouldn't recommend doing the pancake switcharoo thing with is the bread waffle for the beans not on toast.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:39 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The bierocks were awesome! Husband said "This is better than pizza!" Whatever that means. Definitely a project though, not a weeknight dinner.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:36 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I made the tempeh Caesar wraps for work lunches for Boyfriend and I today. Super filling and delicious! I love tempeh so I'll definitely make these again. I really liked the sunflower seeds in there too- I almost skipped them because I was in a rush putting the wraps together this morning, but I'm really glad I didn't. All of these lunches have been way more exciting than salad from the food court near my office!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:46 am 
So Totally Yiffy

celine wrote:
Kelvia wrote:
Stop the presses! Trader Joe's had creamed coconut yesterday for $1.49/can!

Can you tell me how thick or thin this is, compared to full-fat coconut milk? What we used in the book is almost like a paste and needs reconstituted with water, it's not liquid at all. You might have to play around with the amount of extra liquid added to the recipes if it's not a paste like what we used. Keep me posted and we'll figure it out together if needed.

Here's the Coconut Cream product description from the Trader Joe's site.

"Water, milk, cream – the coconut does it all. But what's the difference? Coconut Water is the clear, natural juice you find if you crack open a coconut. Milk and cream, in contrast, are created by boiling the coconut meat with water and pressing it into liquid. Coconut milk uses approximately one part shredded coconut to one part water, while coconut cream uses about four parts shredded coconut to one part water – the result is a much thicker, richer, creamier liquid. It can do what no water or milk can, making it the "secret" ingredient for an array of delicious curries, soups, cakes, puddings, pies… We are happy to add Extra Thick & Rich Coconut Cream to the Trader Joe's culinary coconut collection – each 14 fluid ounce can is $1.49."
http://www.traderjoes.com/products.asp

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:30 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Then I would think that what Trader Joe's sells is the equivalent of the reconstituted creamed coconut we use in the book. So basically, you wouldn't have to add the liquid the recipe calls for to turn the creamed coconut into coconut cream. Which for example in the Curried Lentil Wraps would mean using 1 cup of the coconut cream TJ's sells instead of 1 cup warm water + 7-ounce packaged of creamed coconut. It might be a little less intense, but it won't make a huge difference.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:57 pm 
Crazy bat lady

I made the chutney from the curried chickpea pita party recipe, and added pears because I didn't have enough peaches. Ryan now wants this every week. :) I can easily see us eating this rather than jam.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:58 pm 
Crazy bat lady

celine wrote:
Kelvia wrote:

Can you tell me how thick or thin this is, compared to full-fat coconut milk? What we used in the book is almost like a paste and needs reconstituted with water, it's not liquid at all. You might have to play around with the amount of extra liquid added to the recipes if it's not a paste like what we used. Keep me posted and we'll figure it out together if needed.

I'm sorry, I haven't opened it yet, but will report back when I do.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:48 pm 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Ordered it! I never make sandwiches but the pics look awesome so I have to try. I love it that it's available by amazon Germany so it will be in my hungry hands on saturday already!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:23 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Kelvia wrote:
celine wrote:
Kelvia wrote:

I'm sorry, I haven't opened it yet, but will report back when I do.

No worries at all, I think gingerlime's description did the trick. The two are different, but the coconut cream should work just fine with the no-reconstituting-liquid adaptation noted above. Thanks Kelvia!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:55 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I made the moo free seitan last night. It was super easy and turned out very flavorful. I used chickpea flour in place of soy, and baked the seitan in the oven. I have poblano peppers and onion to use up, so I'm thinking of making fajitas or maybe a spicier version of Philly cheese steak.

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:13 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Celine, thank you! I ran across the Coconut Cream product at TJs and bought it, thinking it was what I needed. I found the right stuff on Amazon but will see how this stuff works out before I order it. I appreciate you dropping in to give ingredients advice.

I'm eating leftover tempeh Caesar wraps for lunch today. That recipe attracted me immediately, and the Caesar dressing is great!

Last week, I made chickpea shawarmas, and then found that my pitas weren't really soft. Much depends on a soft pita! I ate it on toasted pita wedges instead... Whatev. You can't really go wrong with roasted chickpeas.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:54 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I won this on efcliz's blog (Cooking the Vegan Books), and it just arrived yesterday. The book looks amazing, and I can't wait to start making some sandwiches! Thanks efcliz!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:36 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I made the chicken-style seitan a couple of nights ago and I'm excited to use it. It looks and smells great. I have the KFC and Somewhere Blackened sandwiches on my to-make list....

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:35 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Could anyone give me the ingredients for the chickpea shawarmas? I would like to make them this weekend but my book is at home...

P.S. any plans on making it available for my Kindle?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:34 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I'll copy and paste the ingredients in a flash, Angelina. And I just checked: it looks like it's already available on Kindle.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:39 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Here's the list of ingredients for the shawarma...

For chickpeas
1 tablespoon (15 ml) apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon (15 ml) fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons (30 g) unsweetened plain
nondairy yogurt
1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon mild to medium curry powder
1 can (15 ounces, or 425 g) chickpeas,
drained and rinsed

For tahini dressing
1/2 cup (128 g) tahini
1/4 cup (60 g) unsweetened plain
nondairy yogurt
1/4 cup (60 ml) water
1/4 cup (60 ml) fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
1 or 2 cloves garlic, pressed, to taste
Salt and pepper, to taste
3 tablespoons (30 g) chopped red onion

For sandwiches
2 cups (144 g) shredded lettuce
Four 8-inch (20 cm) pita breads, lightly
toasted
4 small tomatoes, chopped
1/4 cup (15 g) chopped fresh parsley
Lemon wedges, for serving

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:43 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Thank you so so much, Celine! I will get the Kindle version right away too, even though I already have the book. Some vegan cookbooks are just that good that I don't mind having both. The Kindle makes it so much easier to carry your cookbooks around with you...I have whipped it out many times when food shopping to look up ingredients.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:20 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

My book finally arrived today! And the moo-free seitan is in the oven at the moment.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:04 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

I did the tempeh from the From Russia With Love and quite enjoyed it. I was sick this week and didn't get to eat it with rye and sauce, but the tempeh alone was good in a sandwich with pickle relish and some mayo.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:31 pm 
Saggy Butt

Made the Green Monster Bread again, this time with a fresh packet of the correct yeast, and it was wonderful! It came out with a soft and fluffy texture almost like white bread from the store. I haven't used it for sandwiches, just eating by the slice. I used my bread machine for the dough and it could have used more flour, because it came out really sticky and soft, but I just slapped it in the pan. Next time I'll have to remember to bake it one level lower, though, cause the top started rising really high and getting pretty brown so close to the top of the oven.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:32 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I made the Almighty BLTs for work lunches this week. My spread was a bit heavy on the sun dried tomatoes (I read the ingredients as minced, not sliced, so there were more packed in there than there should have been), but it was still delicious. The sandwiches themselves were awesome- a bigger lunch than I usually have at work, so I had the content food coma thing going on at my desk each afternoon. And Boyfriend, the former avocado hater, actually really enjoyed it on these. Kicking goals all 'round!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:49 pm 
Nailed to the V

oh darn you - I never thought about having an ebook for that purpose... heee

I made the gobbler. I think I like it. I never made a "ROLL" of seitan before, so unlike the Moo and the No-Cluck this has a more "bread-y" texture for me. (It could also be I have no idea what a six inch roll should look like and it was a big thick log LOL).

I think next time I'll cutlet this as well (I am all about the cutlet), and use the Cluck broth (but add more of the Gobbler seasonings).

which I actually made. I ran out of gluten flour. (darn it) so I shall make some more. these are awesome. (and I haven't even made white/red seitan heee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:54 pm 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Today I finally read through it all and can't wait to try some stuff! I definitely want to make the green bread, sounds and looks delicious!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 365 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next