| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15772 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 370, 371, 372, 373, 374, 375, 376 ... 631  Next
 Post subject: Re: What was the worst thing about your day?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:32 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

kilgore trout wrote:
acr wrote:
kilgore trout wrote:
Today a little girl in my group at work was saying she didn't want to play outside because she'd get sweaty, and she's fat, so she doesn't want to get sweaty (her words). I talked to her for a few minutes and told her that people come in all different shapes and sizes. She said, "I don't like shapes and sizes!" There was more, but that's the gist of it. She's six. My heart is breaking a little. I know I need to bring it up to her mom when I see her on Monday (at the very least that she mentioned being bullied about her weight at school) but I'm not sure how to phrase it.

i want to hug this girl forever and ever and ever and tell her she's pretty and make her a friendship bracelet. i know you have to tell her mom, but i'm afraid her mom will try to deal with it by signing her up for racquetball lessons (based on nothing).

Yeah that's what I'm worried about. I'm afraid her parents will take it the wrong way and try to have her diet or sign her up for the soccer league. Which is not to say there's anything wrong with sports, but if a girl feels too ashamed to go on the swings and you tell her she needs to be out on a soccer field with the kids who are already bullying her...

Yeah...the sad/scary thing is that her parents are probably the ones feeding her negative body image messages in the first place :(

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:28 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

PMS. Tomorrow is my birthday, and I realized that family issues (between my mom and sister, mostly) have made it so hardly anyone is even coming over. Just two friends, mom, and my brother. My dad isn't even coming because he can't get a ride. For some reason this all made me really, really upset and I sobbed for about twenty minutes before I made myself stop because I had work.

fork mood swings, for real.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:33 pm 
Dead by dawn

My half-Ironman was today. My swim was good... a minute faster than my goal time. I had a solid plan for the bike leg, and two goal times... I was on pace for the stretch goal when I flatted. No problem, I'm in a really great state of mind and I figure as long as it takes less than 15 minutes to repair, I am still on pace for my more reasonable goal time. I sent the sag wagon on his way because I had no intention of DNF'ing this race. Replaced the tube, reinflated, started gathering stuff up before I put the wheel back on and BLAM!! The tire blew. No saving it now. I hitched a ride back to transition and did the run anyway, partly to make my coach proud, partly to make something of my day, and partly to kill time until my sister finished. I'm so disappointed.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:43 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

^ah noooo! glad you got to finish, but that totally sucks! how frustrating.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:21 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Aww mtoes, I'm sorry. That really sucks.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:27 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

monkeytoes wrote:
My half-Ironman was today. My swim was good... a minute faster than my goal time. I had a solid plan for the bike leg, and two goal times... I was on pace for the stretch goal when I flatted. No problem, I'm in a really great state of mind and I figure as long as it takes less than 15 minutes to repair, I am still on pace for my more reasonable goal time. I sent the sag wagon on his way because I had no intention of DNF'ing this race. Replaced the tube, reinflated, started gathering stuff up before I put the wheel back on and BLAM!! The tire blew. No saving it now. I hitched a ride back to transition and did the run anyway, partly to make my coach proud, partly to make something of my day, and partly to kill time until my sister finished. I'm so disappointed.

Oh no! That's awful. So proud of you for finishing a minute faster than goal time on your swim however! Yay you!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:04 am 
Dead by dawn

Thank you guys. I'm going to let this be the worst part of my day today, too. And then I have to put it behind me because there just aren't any local races this late in the season so I can't have a re-do until next year and I can't let the disappointment linger while I start marathon training. That forking 70.3 car sticker I bought is going to mock me for at least 9 months, though. Maybe I will give it to my mom to hang onto so I don't have to see it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:04 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I've had a sore throat for a week that only seems to be getting worse regardless of what I do. It's so painful I can't sleep at night. So now I have to make a trip to the ER, because I can't stand the pain anymore and the ER is the only place that is open today and accepts my insurance. Ugh.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:32 pm 
Cranky

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
I've had a sore throat for a week that only seems to be getting worse regardless of what I do. It's so painful I can't sleep at night. So now I have to make a trip to the ER, because I can't stand the pain anymore and the ER is the only place that is open today and accepts my insurance. Ugh.

This happened to me when I got mono! I hope you're ok and feeling better soon.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:19 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Work is going by so slow, I keep finishing all these tasks and only like 15 minutes will have gone by. Am I moving at super speed or something?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:01 pm 
Impressive boner

Allergies non stop for the last 7 hours despite a double dose of antihistamines.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:17 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

choirqueer wrote:

Yeah...the sad/scary thing is that her parents are probably the ones feeding her negative body image messages in the first place :(

Not necessarily. I sure as heck never got that crepe from my parents, but kids in 1/2 grade bullied me about being fat. Kids also deliberately threw balls at my face to try to break my glasses (I went through a lot of glasses in elementary school). It isn't my Parents fault that I have negative body issues and get panic attacks in gyms.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:50 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Dr. Apricot wrote:
raspberrycomplaint wrote:

This happened to me when I got mono! I hope you're ok and feeling better soon.

Thanks! They tested me for mono and strep and I was negative for both and my bloodwork looked okay. So the doctor said "I think you just have a virus that is kicking your butt right now." I was dehydrated, so I had to have IV fluids (which means they had to have an extra nurse come in to hold my hand while they put in the IV catheter, because I'm terrified of needles), and they made me swallow a bunch of disgusting lidocaine to numb my throat and gave me some kind of NSAID intravenously. But basically there's nothing I can do for it, beyond resting and taking something like motrin for the pain, which I have been doing all along and it doesn't really help.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:29 pm 

I stabbed my thumb with the knife I got for my birthday. That being said, it's a great knife.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:53 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

My dog woke me up at 5:30am.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:08 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

lavawitch wrote:
choirqueer wrote:

Not necessarily. I sure as heck never got that crepe from my parents, but kids in 1/2 grade bullied me about being fat. Kids also deliberately threw balls at my face to try to break my glasses (I went through a lot of glasses in elementary school). It isn't my Parents fault that I have negative body issues and get panic attacks in gyms.

Yeah, I said "probably", not necessarily. I do think most kids who learn that kind of self-hate learn it from their parents initially though, commonly enough that it should be considered likely if someone's planning to bring up the issue with a child's parents. But of course it isn't always the case.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:58 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm bawling my eyes out. I just got an email from my academic advisor saying that he would like to meet with me in person. It was completely out of nowhere, so I called my supervisor to see if he knew anything. Apparently, he had gotten complaints about me acting unprofessionally last week . . . but I haven't the slightest idea what I did wrong. I did everything I was asked to do, even though I felt like they were asking too much. And once that complaint was submitted, all other complaints that people had been holding onto came pouring out. And now they never want to see me again. But this whole time, I thought I was being professional. And I really wish these things would get communicated earlier so that I could fix them before it was too late.
What the fork do I do now? It's so surreal. I almost don't believe it happened.

Last edited by starrynight87 on Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:04 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

starrynight87 wrote:
What the fork do I do now?

sucks that it's come to it, despite being late. but it's better now than never at all. sit down with them, hear what they have to say, communicate where you're coming from, and try to agree on expectations of each other. there's nothing wrong with feedback (both ways!), and hopefully you'll both grow and learn out of this.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:06 pm 
Impressive boner

Whoa starrynight87.... I'm so sorry to hear that! Is there anything that can be done to make reparations?

Mr8's line manager has been changed to someone who appears to know and care little for non-physical disabilities. It's taking it's toll on him and it's starting to take it's toll on me.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:13 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

8ball wrote:
Whoa starrynight87.... I'm so sorry to hear that! Is there anything that can be done to make reparations?

I don't know . . . my supervisor wants to keep me but on a probation, but he's having a hard time convincing the higher ups right now. I'm just really worried that between this and me being on academic probation, that my advisor is just going to recommend I quit for good. But at this point, I really don't know what's best for me. Since I'm so upset, I sat down and made a list of all the things I thought I was doing right because I want to make sure I am able to advocate myself as best I can, and I don't want to miss anything.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:18 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

starrynight87 wrote:
I'm bawling my eyes out. I just got an email from my academic advisor saying that he would like to meet with me in person. It was completely out of nowhere, so I called my supervisor to see if he knew anything. Apparently, he had gotten complaints about me acting unprofessionally last week . . . but I haven't the slightest idea what I did wrong. I did everything I was asked to do, even though I felt like they were asking too much. And once that complaint was submitted, all other complaints that people had been holding onto came pouring out. And now they never want to see me again. But this whole time, I thought I was being professional. And I really wish these things would get communicated earlier so that I could fix them before it was too late.

I was in this situation once and I know other people it's happened to as well. It's awful and I'm so sorry you're going through it. But if they can't even clearly tell you what it is that your mistake was, and couldn't tell you soon enough for you to address the issue, the problem is not you, it's the institution. I know that's not very helpful and it doesn't make the situation any better, but I hope it at least helps you not beat yourself up about it like I did. Even if you made some sort of mistake, which is a totally normal human being thing to do, you're a student and you're there to learn and if they can't support people who make mistakes then they should not be having student interns and they really aren't doing their jobs well at all.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:21 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

choirqueer wrote:
starrynight87 wrote:

I was in this situation once and I know other people it's happened to as well. It's awful and I'm so sorry you're going through it. But if they can't even clearly tell you what it is that your mistake was, and couldn't tell you soon enough for you to address the issue, the problem is not you, it's the institution. I know that's not very helpful and it doesn't make the situation any better, but I hope it at least helps you not beat yourself up about it like I did. Even if you made some sort of mistake, which is a totally normal human being thing to do, you're a student and you're there to learn and if they can't support people who make mistakes then they should not be having student interns and they really aren't doing their jobs well at all.

Thanks CQ. I do agree. There have been times where I have felt more than enough support there, but there have also been times where I have felt almost none at all.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:02 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My supervisor just called again. He's going to try really hard to bat for me, but he doesn't know what will happen. I am so thankful to have him on my side.
And my best friend is coming over. I guess I should get dressed.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:19 pm 

I had really bad cramps in class today and was a grouchy butt as a result. But it's all good now.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:56 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Miserable health day, today. It would seem I can't eat really gluteny things (think fake meat as opposed to bread) these days without incurring the wrath of my gallbladder and GI tract. Ah well. One more thing off the list. At least I've used my sick day well--a marathon of ER.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15772 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 370, 371, 372, 373, 374, 375, 376 ... 631  Next