| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cookbook Challenge - Week Two - World Vegan Feast
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:55 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

The book for this week is World Vegan Feast by Bryanna Clark Grogan.
If you don't have access to any of the cookbooks, you may also choose an alternate book, just remember to post all your results here.

Choose 3 or more recipes from the selected cookbook of the week and tell us about it! Post pictures, comments or anything else you can think of here. If you choose to switch books around and do this cookbook on a different week, feel free to come back and post in this thread anytime.

Here's the line up for the remaining weeks:

September 9 – Isa and Terry FREE CHOICE – Pick any book from the amazing duo – V’con, VV, AFR, VWAV, VB, etc.
September 16 – World Vegan Feast
September 23 – Hearty Vegan Meals for Monster Appetites
September 30 – Vegan Diner
October 7 – Yellow Rose Recipes
October 14 – Vegan Sandwiches Save the Day
October 21 – Isa and Terry FREE CHOICE – V’con, VV, AFR, VCIYCJ, VWAV, VB, etc.
October 28 – Chloe’s Kitchen
November 4 - American Vegan Kitchen
November 11 - Quick and Easy Low Cal Vegan Comfort Food
November 18 - 500 Vegan Recipes
November 25 – Isa and Terry FREE CHOICE – V’con, VV, AFR, VCIYCJ, VWAV, VB, etc.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

Post subject: Re: Cookbook Challenge - Week Two - World Vegan Feast
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:26 pm 
Nailed to the V

I picked my recipes for the week:

Bahn Mi, which I will make with soy curls
Moroccan Roasted Sweet Potatoes (to use up the sweet potatoes from last week's tzimmes)
Basque Chickpea Stew

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:20 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

bcakes wrote:

Moroccan Roasted Sweet Potatoes (to use up the sweet potatoes from last week's tzimmes)
Basque Chickpea Stew
Those all sound delicious! Now I'm wishing I had this cookbook.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:32 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I made the Banh Mi tonight using her recipe for baked marinated tofu
Delicious!!!

I plan on making the liverwurst recipe too
Loved liverwurst as a kid, going to recreate a favorite
childhood sandwich with it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:34 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I have this book and am so excited to see what everyone makes!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:24 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I don't have this book (yet!). I'm probably going to concentrate on cooking as much as possible from my pantry this week, instead of picking recipes from 1 book.

I'm excited to see what everyone makes!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:00 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

bcakes wrote:

Basque Chickpea Stew

You've got great taste! I made the banh mi during MoFo last year (the most labour-intensive banh mi ever, but worth it!), I've had my eye on the Moroccan sweet potatoes and I made the Basque stew last night!

Pictured with some crusty bread (also from World Vegan Feast):

I made this to use up the chorizo that I had left over from Viva Vegan last week. I was worried it might be a little bland since there aren't any spices, but the flavour from the chorizo really comes through nicely. So use good-quality, flavourful vegan sausage if you make this! We're a little bit in love with this bread, too. I halved the recipe because I didn't think we needed four loaves for the week- I was wrong! It's less than 24 hours since baking and the first loaf is almost gone. It made for some awesome sandwiches for lunch today, too. I've got the dough for a second loaf rising right now!

I also made ANZAC biscuits!

ANZAC biscuits are such a basic recipe here that it seemed really funny to come across the recipe in a world food book, but I realised that I had all the ingredients and hadn't made (or eaten) them in years so I made a batch. I added a pinch of salt, since my favourite ANZAC biscuits always have a hint of salt to them, and these are awesome. This totally reminded me how great they are, and I think I'll be making them pretty often from now on.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:22 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

That settles it, I'm making chickpea stew this week. And maybe the Moroccan glazed carrots as a side.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:41 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I was planning to participate but ended up not shopping from this book for the week. I really have trouble finding recipes I want to make. Everything sounds really good, but then seems like it'll take way too long, or there are tons of recipes within the recipe, or just like one weird ingredient I don't want to buy. I've made the grilled eggplant with pesto mayo sandwich several times, but that's it.

So yeah, I'll be really excited to hear some feedback this week, and maybe I can dive into the book later on.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:29 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I'm going to make the bobotie and yellow rice this week. Maybe the shawarma too!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:32 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Recipes chosen based on what ingredients I had at home. Walnut Parmesan, Italian Rustic Squash and Kale Tart, and ANZAC biscuits (I added a pinch of salt, too). This will be lunch tomorrow!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:37 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I don't have this book and am not really interested in it based on what I saw on the Look Inside feature on Amazon...I may take a page out of planteatingathlete's book and use recipes from her blog this week, if I can find things that use what I have or am getting in our CSA.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:52 pm 
WRETCHED

I am making Drunken Beans tonight from World Vegan Feast. I was flipping through the book trying to figure out recipes I could use with ingredients I have. I happen to have beer that someone gave me that they didn't want and we don't drink beer. It'll be a nice way to get rid of the beer rather than pouring it down the sink.

I also would like to make Serbian Braised Sauerkraut and Seitan as well as the Persian Stew.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:50 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

We had an Indonesian night tonight- tahu goreng with edamame, and Balinese green bean salad.

Both were really quick and easy, which was great since I've previously had concerns about recipes from this book being a bit labour-intensive, too. But I was able to prep the stuff for both dishes while Boyfriend was playing basketball tonight, and then throw them together in about ten minutes after he got home. The tahu goreng reminded me a lot of a dish I get from a Chinese restaurant back home, only with an Indonesian twist, of course! Really simple and flavourful, and using pantry ingredients (in my house, anyway).

I used some vegan mock chicken that I had in the freezer for the salad, and it was great here. I also really loved the shredded coconut (also from the freezer) in this. I was a bit hesitant when the introduction to the recipe said that Bryanna had reduced the heat from the traditional recipe, so I kept the amount of chilli the same while I halved the rest of the recipe. I still didn't find it spicy so I would consider upping the chilli even more next time, but it was still delicious so I'm not complaining!

I've noticed a few errors throughout the book this week- the salad recipe here lists vegetable broth in the ingredients, which is never used. The bread I made earlier in the week also says that there's more detail about loaf pans and stuff on page 229 or something, but there's nothing there- instead it turns up a few pages later.

Speaking of that bread- my third loaf for the week is in the oven. That recipe is a total game changer!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:34 pm 
Nailed to the V

I will post pictures when I'm feeling ambitious, but I wanted to review the Bahn Mi. The total prep time for all of the recipe components was about 30 minutes. Since I used soy curls, I didn't marinate the curls for 1 hour as called for in the recipe. Instead, I rehydrated them in water, squeezed it out and then added them to the marinade. Once most of the marinade was soaked up, I cooked the curls. I forgot to buy fresh cilantro and had to use dry, which I mixed in to the mayo. Other than that, I followed the recipe. These came out really well and I would definitely make them again. I thought they were especially good considering how quick they were to make. My husband and I took them to our child birth class and other members of the class were asking where we got them, which is always a good sign.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:08 am 

Erinnerung, I love your photos. You're making either stuff I've made or have planned to make! Good to know if you give rave reviews to something I haven't gotten to yet.

The squash and kale tart was lovely. The parmesan was flavourful enough to make it taste great even if there aren't really any spices. I also skipped the green onions because I didn't have any.

Today I made the no-knead crusty bread but baked it like regular bread. Make sure to line the pan with parchment paper or you'll never get it out! It's really good bread, even though I forgot mine so the second rising was actually two hours rather than one... The recipe does say that the dough is wet and messy, but mine was borderline batter. I often have to add extra flour to American recipes (flour differences I guess), so I'll probably add just a bit more flour to this too next time. No problems getting it to rise in my cool autumn kitchen.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:31 am 

What's your take on the authenticity of the recipes? Judging from the recipes from my area it's not the least bit authentic. The Hasselback potatoes are close enough, but the ginger balls? That is most definitely not Swedish pepparkakor (which is gingerbread cookies, Anna's ginger thins would be a typical example of the kind you can buy in shops). The sole Finnish recipe is also unfamiliar to me. Oven pancake where I come from is just a regular pancake batter poured into a jelly roll pan and baked in the oven. It can be either sweet (served with jam) or savoury (often baked with bacon added to the batter).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:00 am 
WRETCHED

Fruitbat, I'm not sure if they are meant to be authentic or just inspired by. One reason I decided not to cook Posole (Mexican) recipe this week is because I didn't expect it to be authentic. I mean, the drunken beans were supposed to be Mexican/Latin flavor and I can totally see it except for the fact that beer is being added to a recipe instead of being drunk directly :) It isn't something I am familiar with though so I have no prior context.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:01 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Made the yellow rice and bobotie today.

It was pretty good. Very different from what I usually make/eat. Not something I'll make again soon, if ever, but I'm glad I tried it.

I messed up the rice a bit, for example I had missed that you were supposed to soak the rice for 8 hours. Instead I cooked the rice (just brown rice, not basmati) halfway before putting it in the oven. It was a bit too sweet on its own, but worked well with the bobotie.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:23 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

fruitbat wrote:
Oven pancake where I come from is just a regular pancake batter poured into a jelly roll pan and baked in the oven. It can be either sweet (served with jam) or savoury (often baked with bacon added to the batter).

I don't have the book, so I can't comment on specific recipes, but the oven pancake I am familiar with is very eggy. It is poured into a pie pan and baked in a hot oven so that it puffs up. Once removed from the oven, it sinks in the middle. It is generally served with fruit and syrup or powdered sugar. The batter isn't the same as for stove top pancakes.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:23 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I think a lot of the recipes are inspired or the flavors are similar to the original dish. We made the Basque chickpea stew last night, which was delicious, but it is pretty different from Basque chicken stew.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:31 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I made the Quinoa Taco Bowl loosely inspired by the recipe on Bryanna's blog. I don't have soy curls so I made tofu and black bean taco filling based off a recipe from Whole Foods that I added kale to, I had no corn, jalapeno or green peppers so only added diced avocado. I also added some diced Roma tomatoes from my garden and taco sauce.

So the recipe was really nothing like the one on her blog but it was based off of it! LOL.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:04 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Here's a pic of the chickpea stew, which I took for lunch today. I just snapped a pic of it in my tupperware, so it's not very pretty! I used the chorizo from Vegan Brunch and it was really good!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:54 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I made the Golden Cauliflower Dal Stew the other night, it was super good! All the spices and blended lentils made the dish incredible rich and filling. I accidently screwed it up by adding a tablespoon of turmeric instead of the teaspoon it called for, which made the turmeric flavor a little overwhelming, but it was still a great dish. Perfect with some flatbread for scooping up any remaining deliciousness. I’ll post a pic once I get around to taking them off the camera.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:23 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Update on the bobotie: It was better today!