| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2988 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97 ... 120  Next
 Post subject: Re: Appetite for Reduction
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:10 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Ooh, thanks for reminding me that I need to try those tacos!

I made the Upside Down Shepherds Pie for the second time today. I love it! The only changes I made was using portobello mushrooms instead of shiitake (too spendy) and a pinch of basil and sage instead of tarragon (too yucky). I ate it over caulipots with a couple of teaspoons of magical nooch added.
I also love that it makes, in my opinion, a decent sized portion. You could easily add another vegetable side and still be under 500 calories in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:14 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Love Child wrote:
fruitbat wrote:
Love Child wrote:
I can't believe I haven't made the mango bbq beans even once this summer. And now mangoes are out of season. Fork.

Frozen mango!

Yeah, I could do that, but there's something special about fresh mango in this. Frozen doesn't disintegrate in the sauce like the fresh does. :(

I actually made it tonight with frozen mango and they still disintegrated.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:41 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I made the Irish Stew this evening. Nice and easy to make. I used Fry's beef strips instead of seitan since wheat gluten isn't readily available here and I am far too lazy to go through the hassle of washing bread flour. I also subbed courgette instead of the green beans since I didn't have any. I also stupidly had a teeny glass of the left over beer and since I next to never drink I am now a tipsy young lady.

Must say...... I loved it. It will probably be a firm favourite and my go to dinner for the winter.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:48 pm 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Made the curried chickpeas with green yesterday, subbing spinach for kale. it was quite good, and quick to make!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:32 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Made the kidney bean and butternut squash jamba stew this evening. It was just gorgeous. it is easy on the pocket to make too which is great since I am so broke lately. It will be my dinner for the next three nights.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:30 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

On Sunday I made the Eggplant Chickpea Curry and Cashew Cranberry Biryani. Yum! I just had these two dishes for lunch and they go so well together. So simple to make and so delicious, the eggplant is really silky and melts in your mouth. Definitely going to be a repeat in the future.

I love love love this book, the Green Goddess Dressing is my new go-to sauce for everything. Slowly cooking my way through this book and so far I have made:

Chickpeas and Greens - My favorite Curry dish so far from the book
Nicoise Salad with Green Goddess Dressing
Caesar Salad with Eggplant Bacon and Caesar Chavez Dressing
Baked Falafel
Everyday Chickpea Salad
Curried Corn Soup
Some of the bowls - Vegan Bowl, Green Goddess Bowl
Garlicky Sauteed Kale and Mushrooms

So many more dishes I plan on making from this book.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:32 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I used the edamame pesto as a spread for the flat breads on the blog last night. Topped with pizza toppings (red peppers, mushrooms, onions, & kalamata olives). It was guhhhreat.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:18 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Made the veggie pot pie stew and sweet potato biscuits today. Both were tasty and easy to make but those biscuits especially are so more-ish. I'm pretty sure I'll be eating a couple for breakfast tomorrow!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:22 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

creep wrote:
I used the edamame pesto as a spread for the flat breads on the blog last night. Topped with pizza toppings (red peppers, mushrooms, onions, & kalamata olives). It was guhhhreat.

yes, I made that pesto for the first time recently, and have been using it as a sandwich spread, pita filling, and a topping for baked potatoes.

That pesto is really versatile. I really need to try it on pizza. I also want to use it as a filling in suffed pasta, and maybe as a layer in lasagna.

Your flatbread sounds so good.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:58 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Tzippy wrote:

I actually made it tonight with frozen mango and they still disintegrated.

I guess your mango was riper than mine or something. It was still yummy though!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:10 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

The jamba stew is far too nice. It is my dinner every night this week again.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:16 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

whoa, i can't believe there are 94 pages for this thread! i've been eyeing this cookbook, and it seems there are a lot of people who are loving it?!

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:51 am 
Calls "cavemen" on that

bookwormbethie wrote:
whoa, i can't believe there are 94 pages for this thread! i've been eyeing this cookbook, and it seems there are a lot of people who are loving it?!

It's a really awesome cookbook. I try to eat low calorie, and have an omni partner, so this book works really well for us (not a lot of fake meat 'vegan-y' food if you know what I mean). And delicious, FAST recipes.

It is my most used cookbook for sure.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:25 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I too adore this cookbook - it really is my "go-to". I have been trying to roughly follow the "eat to live" diet for health and weight loss and most of these recipes either already fit the bill or can be easily modified. I have made at least half the recipes now and have only found one that I really didn't like (it was a mole and I think I just don't like a chocolate flavor to my beans!!!) Also what I like about this cookbook is the ingredients are typically all at my regular grocery store, most of the recipes are pretty simple and quick to put together, there is zero need to buy those expensive fake meats and cheeses, AND my omni husband will typically eat these dishes!

Last year I had a green smoothie for breakfast, fruit or veg for snack, a hearty salad for lunch (often one from AFR), and usually an AFR meal for dinner and in 6 months I lost 30 lbs! I wasn't hungry and had great energy.

We had the tofu hoison-mustard lettuce wraps for dinner two nights ago - and I used the rest of it to top my salad for lunch the next day. Nummers. Also I can't remember the name of the recipe but Isa recommended a squash recipe as a side to the lettuce wraps and I made it with yellow squash instead of delicata squash and it turned out really yummy (and again super easy!)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:35 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

congrats that is awesome!

as for your green smoothies, do you have a super fancy vitamix or are you able to use a regular blender? i am browsing a different cookbook that has some green smoothie recipes and they really are insisting you need a vitamix to make the recipes which i find such a bummer :( not that i have $500+ to spend on a blender but if i did, i would not be spending it on a blender ;)

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:10 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

bookwormbethie wrote:

as for your green smoothies, do you have a super fancy vitamix or are you able to use a regular blender? i am browsing a different cookbook that has some green smoothie recipes and they really are insisting you need a vitamix to make the recipes which i find such a bummer :( not that i have $500+ to spend on a blender but if i did, i would not be spending it on a blender ;)

I have a regular old hamilton beach blender...I will admit though that sometimes my smoothies aren't exactly smooth :) There would typically be flecks of whatever greens I had blended throughout the smoothie but still totally drinkable. It didn't really bother me that much, although it is true I still lust after a Vitamix!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:01 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I made the Classic Black Bean and Vegetable Chilli today. Like everything else I've made from this book it is amazing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:18 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Anybody with omni partners who had a particular recipe that they loved? I mean I'm positive they're all delicious, but any that stand out that you also found to be really easy? I'm cooking dinner for my beau this weekend (...I usually just have rice and beans or a sandwich) and I want to make something from this book that I know he'll like but that I can also actually pull off.

Disclaimer: I usually stick to recipes with, oh 4-5 ingredients but I love me some Isa.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:17 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I've actually changed my mind on the Classic black bean and veg chilli.... It is actually the most amazing thing I have ever tasted in my entire life. Serve with brown rice and tortilla chips and your omni boyfriend will be impressed.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:45 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

redhairrising wrote:
Anybody with omni partners who had a particular recipe that they loved? I mean I'm positive they're all delicious, but any that stand out that you also found to be really easy? I'm cooking dinner for my beau this weekend (...I usually just have rice and beans or a sandwich) and I want to make something from this book that I know he'll like but that I can also actually pull off.

Disclaimer: I usually stick to recipes with, oh 4-5 ingredients but I love me some Isa.

My omni partner adored the mac & trees with buffalo tempeh, it is one of his most favorite meals. He also likes the broiled blackened tofu, the corn chowder, and all of the bowls from the back of the book that we've made.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:19 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

People always like the pot pie stew, and it's easy enough. If you have some cool fall weather, that would be really nice with some kind of bread thing!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:21 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

LazySmurf wrote:
redhairrising wrote:

My omni partner adored the mac & trees with buffalo tempeh, it is one of his most favorite meals. He also likes the broiled blackened tofu, the corn chowder, and all of the bowls from the back of the book that we've made.

The Kidney Bean and Butternut Jamba Stew! I know that's rice and beans again, but what a difference!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:22 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

My omni husband really liked the Arabian lentil and rice stew.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:47 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Thanks for all your suggestions everybody!!! :) I'm excited!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:09 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Oh, my omni partner LOVES:

the tortilla soup (had it last night)
Rice and lentil soup
eggplant provencial
lentil shepherds pie
thai green beans
Roasted fusilli pasta
beans and greens pasta
hottie black eye peas and buffalo tempeh
Ceasar salad (especially that dressing)

and he loves loves loves the thai green beans. He will actually eat tofu if I dry fry some and add it in.
And more I can't remember. We cook out of this book a ton.

ALso, add some soy curls to the tortilla soup! I added the end of my bag, the crumbles, and made it 'chicken' tortilla soup. So good.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2988 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97 ... 120  Next