| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: West Michigan (Grand Rapids, in particular)
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:50 pm 
Tofu Pup

I'm from the midwest, the Toledo Ohio area, (Yea, I know) and I am looking for vegan or vegetarian places to eat. I know of Seva in Ann Arbor Mi. but not much else. Any one from around here with ideas. Would greatly appreciate it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:33 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I wished I had looked in this thread earlier, but if you guys are getting together in west michigan or somewhere thereabouts again, let me know. I'm about 30 min from grand rapids if there are others of you in the area.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:18 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I'm going to be in Grand Rapids the weekend of St. Patrick's Day for LaughFest (live Marc Maron Podcast taping I can't wait!!!!). I'm so excited to try the vegan options! Stella's sounds like a blast- vegan menu+dive bar, that sounds like my version of Heaven.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:10 pm 

Stellas is nice I suppose but so very crowded, so maybe go on a weeknight or something? I've been there weekends before and it is packed, which is good, but the last few times I've tried to go there was no room whatsoever to be in there, so best of luck to you.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:43 am 
Huffs Nooch

Stella's has definitely been more busy since they added an easier to find entrance, which is slightly ironic since opening up the other entrance made much more seating available. Anyways, it's worth a shot! I like it their lots, though there from a strictly food perspective there are tastier options, depending on when you make it to the area. If you're around for lunch/early dinner Stella's shouldn't be too busy. Bartertown is just a little bit away and their food is delicious! Whereas Stella's vegan menu was concocted by a vegan dude but is now cooked by non-vegan chefs (as far as i know), Bartertown's menu is created by the same dude but he still cooks there. And Bartertown relies on fresh/local produce so everything is awesome.

For beer, the people who own Stella's also own Hopcat, just a couple blocks away. They have, by far, the best beer selection I've ever been privy to. They have a few vegan options (tasty veggie chili, but make sure to ask for no sour cream on top) and their crack fries are heavenly!

For breakfast or lunch Marie Catribs is probably my favorite ever. They have an awesome tofu scramble, vegan stuffed french toast, and the best veggie burger I've ever had.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:36 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Thanks for the heads up guys. Seeing as how it will be St. Patrick's Day weekend Stella's may have to be avoided. Or we can go earlier in the day, my husband and I aren't adverse to drinking in the afternoon. Your other recommendations sound great theCHtotheAD. Veggie chili, stuffed french toast, beer, YUM.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:52 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Oh, and Brickroad is delicious if you want pizza. They have a pretty decent bottled beer selecion and a reasonably priced lunch buffet. Sometimes you have to ask for vegan pizza, since if there aren't any vegans in the store at the time they might not put one out. But it usually has a vegan soup, breadsticks, pasta/potato salad of some sort, and chocolate chip cookies!

All this to say, you should be covered in Grand Rapids! If you like coffee and need some more recommendations, let me know! ;)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:35 pm 

Marie Catribs makes a good kibbeh sandwich type thing, that is about all I have tried from there. They have gluten free bread too if you are into that kind of thing. If you're going to be in Holland on your way through grand rapids I could probably give some suggestions.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:54 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I would be interested in things in Holland! I only know a couple of things. (I love lemonjellos)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:52 pm 

Lemonjellos does have good muffins, vegan and gluten free, and cookies, so you are right, its pretty great. If you are looking for thai/vietnamesse there's Shooters, which is a pool bar but also has the full menu which is like 6 pages long available till 2, and they have good selections which are vegan, no fish sauce either. I don't know places that only serve vegan food here, but whatever, these are some places with good options. In Saugatuck there's an even better coffee shop, Uncommon Grounds, which has delicious coffee, fair trade, and also normally has at least 4 vegan sweets, a daily soup that is normally vegan, and other good stuff on the menu. They also have rice, soy or almond milk for the lattes and coffee drinks, so you can take your pick. Back in Holland, the Great American Bagel has in house made bagels which are vegan, except for the ones that have cheese in them, but the other ones are. They have homemade hummus too, and make a decent vegetable sandwich with them. I suggest this for the price, which seems good for a bagel sandwich, of 2.39 with coffee as well. I'll think of more places that aren't for coffee or breakfast and be back.

I forgot, so edited to add that The Piper has some vegan and vegetarian entrees, which is surprising given that its a fancy place, but for a fancy place its also pretty affordable ($15 about for a meal). I had a white bean, corn and greens thing with roasted peppers and garlic there once, I would go there again. I do not recommend the restaurant salt and pepper, no matter how much people try to tell me they have good things to eat there. Too much focus on hummus and salad I think. Also, the mexican resturant El Huraches (sp?) has many traditional things, meaning they may have a lot of meat in them, but their black beans do not and they have a sope which is delicious, filled with black beans, and topped with cabbage, cactus, avocado, cilantro, and other good stuff. And their sauces are good too, so I would go there if getting mexican food, rather than Azteca, which does not have many things without cheese that are good.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:19 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Wow, I never knew West MI had so many veg places to eat. I miss the area so much (I went to Western, graduated in 2005). I had a vegan meal at a fancy restaurant in Birmingham today that made me want to cry, it was so bad...
I can't wait to come back!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:37 pm 

Have any of you been to Bartertown Diner/Cafe, forget what it is called exactly? I went after city lights last weekend. Its a buritto shop in GR, everything was vegan when I went there, but there was a dairy cheese option for some things. Anyway, I had a chickpea noodle caserolle buritto when I was there, which tasted like a pirogi kind of but was the best. Homemade hot sauce too. It is also open till 3, so what can be wrong? Only one thing was wrong, there was mochi, and it was super stale. But I suggest going to this place for anyone who wants a buritto with not just the standard fillings, and also a nice place to hang out with people and the like. Its where discussions coffee shop was. Any one else been here yet?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:29 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Yes! I have been to Burritotown a number of times. It gets a little confusing, but Bartertown is open for lunch and dinner weekdays, and also open for brunch on Saturday and Sunday. They have a variety of foods, depending on the seasons. They have lots of sandwiches and a couple burritos and such, depending on the produce they got that day. They have raw stuff sometimes too.

Burritotown is held in the same building, but is run by different people, so it is slightly distinct from Bartertown. It is 10pm-3am Wednesday through Saturday. They had a changing menu every day, but just started a set menu that features several specialty burritos, a cheaper burrito, some tacos and nachos.

Whenever you go, and whether you attend Bartertown or Burritotown, it is all vegan with a dairy cheese option on a couple things and it is all fantastic. Glad you had a chance to go and that you liked it!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:07 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

How did I miss this thread for so long? We were just in West MI a month ago. :) VA, are you from Holland? I grew up there (well, moved there in 8th grade). Maybe we know each other, heh.

We made it to Bartertown this trip (last year, they opened the day we were leaving at like 8 a.m. on the Amtrak). Everyone was nice, but the place was a bit um, disorganized when we were there, and my sandwich was basically unedible due to the amount of vinegar involved (really, it went uneaten). All in all, it was all right and we'd try again, but I wouldn't recommend it to a friend just yet. Marie Catrib's pleased as always, and we had probably the best meal of the trip at the Green Well http://www.thegreenwell.com/. We went there with a group including 2 vegans, 2 vegetarians, a meat and potatoes but lactose intolerant mom, a smattering of other omnivores and an 8 month old. Every single one of us had a great meal (and many had fab beer too). I really can't recommend this place highly enough. Service was fantastic, and they were well informed about veganicity of menu items. (including the booze)

In Holland, you could check out Rice and Spice, which is nice (har har) but nothing super special. Southeast Asian fare with loads of bean curd dishes. We got takeaway from somewhere on the southside too one night, and they had fab garlic eggplant/tofu, but I'm not remembering the name of the place.

Other Holland faves:

Good Earth, on 7th street downtown: lots of vegan options, but some of the staff not too well informed so takes a bit of doing to figure out what's what. :)

Wild Chef..Japanese hibachi sorta place with loads of veg options. We've been here many, many times. Out on northside by the sad sad Westshore Mall.

Captain Sundae used to have Tofutti but the past two times we've been there, they say they've been unable to source it, so now there are no vegan options (aside from things like soda or potato chips) Supposedly they're trying to get it back again, so worth checking maybe. The almond bark stuff they had was really good.

DeeLite in Grand Haven has a decent selection of vegan friendly diner fare too. Not really worth a drive, imo, but a good find if you're in GH for a festival or something.

At the Whitecaps game, we were able to get a vegan wrap at one of the stands there. They had the pita bread and italian dressing ingredients right on the containers, so we had that with an assortment of veggies. Not bad. There is a veggie burger at the grill too, but it's Morningstar and not vegan.

Oh, and how has no one mentioned that Stella's has wicked awesome video games? :D

Very excited that each trip we make back to GR, it seems to be more vegan friendly (I mean, places sometimes know what a vegan is now).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:05 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I'm going to be in Holland for a wedding this weekend! I'm from the Ann Arbor area and went to MSU, but I've never actually been to Holland. Now I'm really excited that I'll have fun stuff to try while I'm there!! Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:12 pm 

China Kitchen: http://local.yahoo.com/info-16450396-ch ... land%2C+MI is the place we got the yummy takeaway from. One of my mom/dad's favorites.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:43 pm 

Captain Sundae had some article about them in a paper this summer and they were talking about having some vegan ice cream options but I couldn't tell you what they were or if that is true since I never went. I initially got excited about it, but I like to make fun of all the people sitting around eating ice cream there too much to go, I don't really know why I it amusing.

I guess Burittotown was the place I went, since it was at night, not Bartertown, correction.

I am not from Holland, refinnej, I moved here about 2 years ago with my boyfriend, who is from here, so it is possible that you know him but probably not me.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:47 pm 

Ah. I think I'm older than the average PPKer anyway. :D

That's interesting about Captain Sundae, I will have to hunt for that article.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:31 pm 

The article was in some free entertainment/music type newspaper thing that I saw in Saugatuck about the area, don't remember which one.