| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Gardein
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:49 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

starrynight87 wrote:
I've got some of the mandarin chikin. What should I do with it?

I usually bake it on parchment (longer than instructed), toss with the sauce, and serve with rice and steamed or pan-fried broccoli with garlic.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:10 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I found a few safe products for me (free of quinoa & amaranth). We have tried the crumbles - good, the fresh patties - a boyfriend fave and the orange chicken bits - good but needs more sauce!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:40 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Chicki wrote:
jdfunks wrote:
I'm a bit less freaked out about trying the buffalo now that I've tried the seven grain and realized that they're good (though easily over-baked) and what freaking Veggie Grill - and maybe Native Foods? uses. I know that CA-based, but I'm shocked more people don't mention this connection!

No, I have met both the owners of Veggie Grill and Native foods, and they make thier own faux chicken product. I think both of thiers is better than Gardein though. Similar, but better flavor. But yeah, really similar.

are you sure veggie grill doesn't use gardein? it tastes exactly the same and i just looked at the ingredients of veggie grill's chicken and also some gardein chicken products and they look too similar to be totally different.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:49 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

ijustdiedinside wrote:
Chicki wrote:
jdfunks wrote:
I'm a bit less freaked out about trying the buffalo now that I've tried the seven grain and realized that they're good (though easily over-baked) and what freaking Veggie Grill - and maybe Native Foods? uses. I know that CA-based, but I'm shocked more people don't mention this connection!

No, I have met both the owners of Veggie Grill and Native foods, and they make thier own faux chicken product. I think both of thiers is better than Gardein though. Similar, but better flavor. But yeah, really similar.

are you sure veggie grill doesn't use gardein? it tastes exactly the same and i just looked at the ingredients of veggie grill's chicken and also some gardein chicken products and they look too similar to be totally different.

Yeah, I don't mean to be ridiculous here, but I've also spoken with the owners of both chains (and I dig both so much) and I know the VG guys have a technicality where it's called a "third party chickenless product" or something silly, and kinda wink that it is Gardein.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:41 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

I wasn't too fond of their "full meal burgundy tips" or what it's called. But after reading your reviews here I might give their frozen products a second chance. Crispy tenders just went onto the shopping list.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:56 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Well, the manager at veggie grill (this was like 2 years ago) said that they made thier own chicken product from scratch. But she was not the owner or cook, just a manager.

I have been to a few native foods demos and asked the owner/chef/creater Tanya about the chicken product, just out of curiosity, and she claimed it was her own as well. I asked her once alone, not in front of the class, and another demo another person asked in front of the class, and she answered the same both times.

I think veggie grill tastes a LOT like Gardein. I think maybe the manager didn't know and just said it was house made. I can't imagine that the owner of Native Foods would have lied about it and not just say that it was Gardein. She said that they use Daiya (the used to use Teese before Daiya). That was a couple of years ago too

but, you know that is just what I was told, maybe neither place wants to claim it's commercial, or maybe they can't claim it for some reason. I like the chicken at both places either way....They do good stuff with it! I don't really care where it comes from as long as it is vegan. Weird though to get different answers...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:21 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

void wrote:
I wasn't too fond of their "full meal burgundy tips" or what it's called. But after reading your reviews here I might give their frozen products a second chance. Crispy tenders just went onto the shopping list.

I like them, and I don't generally like fake meat products.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:16 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I tried the terikyai strips today at VegFest and yuck. It was like, pure sugar sauce. Not for me.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:33 am 
Flounceiad 2011

missmuffcake wrote:
I found a few safe products for me (free of quinoa & amaranth). We have tried the crumbles - good, the fresh patties - a boyfriend fave and the orange chicken bits - good but needs more sauce!
The orange chicken is super popular at our house, but I always doctor the crepe out of it as follows (bear in mind I usually make 3 or 4 packages at a time because my house is full of hungry menfolk):

While the "chicken" is baking, sauté some minced garlic and grated ginger in sesame oil; add a good shot each of tamari and hot sauce, then add the orange sauce packets and 1-1.5 cups orange juice mixed with a teaspoon or so of cornstarch. Cook a few minutes until thickened, then add a few chopped scallions, the chicken, and a handful of broccoli florets; cook a few minutes more until the broccoli is bright green and everything is hot. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds et voila: better (and cheaper) than Chinese takeout!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:02 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Desdemona wrote:
missmuffcake wrote:
The orange chicken is super popular at our house, but I always doctor the crepe out of it as follows (bear in mind I usually make 3 or 4 packages at a time because my house is full of hungry menfolk):

While the "chicken" is baking, sauté some minced garlic and grated ginger in sesame oil; add a good shot each of tamari and hot sauce, then add the orange sauce packets and 1-1.5 cups orange juice mixed with a teaspoon or so of cornstarch. Cook a few minutes until thickened, then add a few chopped scallions, the chicken, and a handful of broccoli florets; cook a few minutes more until the broccoli is bright green and everything is hot. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds et voila: better (and cheaper) than Chinese takeout!

Now that's something I might try! I'll have to go buy some oj.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5