| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2885 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 ... 116  Next
 Post subject: Re: the lactation station: share your breast feedin' stuff h
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:23 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Owww T. I feel you... the Magician has a cold right now and the only thing that seems to make him feel better is clinging to me and doing the nurse-whine-nurse-whine-nurse-whine shuffle.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:43 pm 
Semen Strong

You know, I dread even sleeping, because being woken up from a sound sleep by someone crying, hitting or biting you is just not fun. I'd almost rather just not sleep.

We have her on a humidifier with a few drops of eucalyptus, so god willing she'll sleep...

Also, she hates me for Nose Friedaing her.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:05 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Ugh, that sucks. :( Sorry you're all in this boat. Sven has been suffering the wrath of seasonal allergies, but it's not nearly as bad as being sick. My boobs cringe just thinking about it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:03 pm 
Naked Under Apron

aww hugs to you ladies with sick or teething lil ones...Sierra already wants to sleep with my boob in her mouth so I'm very scared of how much worse things can get!
also, has anyone else ever experienced dizziness while nursing? i've been getting very dizzy in bed the last couple days and just now had a spell while nursing Sierra at work. Probably gonna have to get my iron levels checked I guess.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:10 pm 
Semen Strong

Audrey are you drinking enough? I get superdizzy when i'm dehydrated and nothing dehydrates me like BFing....

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:26 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Ditto to the dehydration possibility. I get so freaking thirsty these days! Are you eating in that small, frequent meals way too? Could be something related to blood sugar.

@Tofulish, I hope she feels better soon!

Last night, after some 2ish hours of play at 3a.m, we ended with a minor meltdown because I refused nursing after a laugh and 2 intentional bites, the second of which left a cut on top of the nipple and a nice dribble of blood. (edited...didn't realized I was bypassing the filter....let's just say that there were some naughty words there). Whew.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:51 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I have an opinion question to ask.. my SIL had a baby on Tuesday (yay!) and she and my brother are both very pro-nursing. My brother was paranoid the whole hospital stay that someone would slip the baby formula. Anyway, they came home yesterday and had the first Dr visit today. Baby had a rough day/night and Dr suggested they supplement. Really? Her milk can't even be in yet? Well, they decided to see LC, who told them she doesn't think mom will be able to keep up with baby's need and to supplement before nursing. Is it just me or is three days too early?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:53 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Oh, a few months ago I sent her the "booby traps" article that tofulish (I think?) posted as kind of a "don't feel bad if this happens to you." And now I feel like this is straight out of that!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:58 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

One more thing, what can I say to help her? If it were my sister it would be easier, but I don't want to over-step my boundaries as sister-in-law. Today, I just tried telling her everything that worked well for me. Sorry for all the posts... but this is making my head hurt!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:02 pm 

Can you talk to her? Maybe she needs to hear about your experience. Maybe she has an anatomical issue that the LC could see (conical breasts or something like that)?

It does seem early, but I'm just wondering if there are other details that would cause the LC to say that. If not, then that is terrible! Hopefully she advised her to pump after nursing to up her supply if it really is an issue.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:02 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

My sister and I are both trying to share experience, advice, encouragement, etc. without sounding preachy.
I did ask if the LC mentioned pumping, which she did not. Maybe they'll ask about that...I would think the LC would want to follow up, but I didn't ask.

Post subject: Re: the lactation station: share your breast feedin' stuff
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:24 pm 
Semen Strong

Is there other information about the infant's health that you might not be getting? It does sound awfully like a booby trap, especially if the LC didn't explain her reasoning but put it down to supply, 3 days after giving birth. Was the LC an IBCLC? Nurses etc can be certified as LCs with as little as a course lasting an afternoon.

I would get recommendations from people in your area about a BF-friendly IBCLC, suggest a second opinion and be ready to drop the matter if your SIL isn't interested in investigating further.

Post subject: sRe: the lactation station: share your breast feedin' stuff
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:20 am 

Would she be able to contact your local lll? 3 days seems way too early to tell about supply. Lots of women don't get any milk until the third or fourth day. Also, fwiw, babies are made to be able to survive on very little for those first 3-4 days, so she needn't worry too much. This is assuming the baby is full-term & healthy.

Definitely worth being persistent now because it's not easy to build up supply and formula can get in the way, if not used carefully.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:21 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Baby was full-term and healthy. The hospital is smallish and I think they only staff two LCs. I'm not sure of IBCLC-status, but I know SIL took a breastfeeding class with her and really seems to like her (so again, I'm hesitant to say anything too pushy). Everything sounds good on baby's end, from what I heard the main concerns are weight gain, fluids, getiing frustrated at the breaste (hence supplementing before, she said to make the breast a happy time), and something about a fertilizer SIL's mom may have been exposed to while pregnant (doesn't that seem like a bizarre question?). I told her about LLL, but I think I'll research her local group and send her the info.

Thanks for the suggestions. It's probably more upsetting to me than them, but I know they want to be successful! I'm going to visit Tuesday, so maybe I'll just hang low until I actually see them. They have my number if they want it!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:09 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

That's terrible, kdub! It must be frustrating to be close enough to her that you care so much but not quite close enough that you can really say exactly what you want to. I completely agree that it's messed up to be talking about formula with a healthy 3 day old baby. Hopefully you can find a good LC and she'll be open to seeing them!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:47 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

kdub, how old is your SIL? i think she would need to be ab 40, but in the states there was drug given to pregnant women which made fertility and bfing very difficult for women exposed in-utero. I have a friend who struggled and tried everything before they figured this out.

it really seems like there are some very un-informed LCs! a friend here has seen the same WIC LC twice and been unable to bf her 2nd and 3rd child, although she bfed her first for 15 months, when she stopped bc she was pregnant and dried up. The LC told her both times that since she was running around after toddlers, of course she would need to give the babies bottles.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:16 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Jildez, that's really interesting. She is 32. I was just wondering how that topic would have even come up.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:07 pm 
***LIES!!!***

jildez, do you know what the drug was? This was never mentioned to me when I was struggling with not making milk.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:41 pm 

How do you figure out the cause of nipple pain? I thought my trouble was caused by our biting trauma, but I'm not sure and over the past maybe 36 hours it's gotten significantly worse. Hurts like hell during latch on both sides, uncomfortable but tolerable during nursing, then horrendous if she pulls off, and sore for a long while afterward. No spots on F's tongue that I can see. No plugs, and just a small spot on pinkness on the top side of one areola. Hurts more on the right side, which is the one that was cut pretty badly a few days ago. Her latch seems pretty much the same. (I even shined my cellphone on her when we were nursing in the dark before bed!). Not perfect maybe, but lips turned out and more than the nipple in there. I don't think she's teething particularly, but maybe. Nothing really new except some occasional experimenting with sit-up nursing.

I'm going to try one of the local breastfeeding clinics in the next couple of days, but just wondering if there's something I"m missing. I really didn't think I was going to make it through tonight and was going to have to get a bottle from the freezer.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:42 pm 

Oh, and this was posted on our local LLL group's page today: http://sarahbessey.com/in-which-i-am-he ... stfeeding/. Very beautiful, but have your tissues at hand. Whew.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:58 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I'm bawling, refinnej! I just got home from a very long day away from my baby and lying down in bed to nurse her was heaven. My nipples are finally starting to not hurt, after three months. Breastfeeding without pain is a whole different world! It's so wonderful.

I'm sorry about your pain issues, though! How discouraging that this stuff can come back months later! Sorry I can't help.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:05 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

oh dear, i didn't even make it through the first paragraph before i got a lump in my throat. i want to snatch my baby out of bed right now and latch him!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:09 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Yup. I sobbed.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:58 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Oh wow, that was so very lovely to read! And probably the one thing I've read online where the comments are truly inspiring, as well.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:51 am 
ol' garly cooch

Keep hangin' in there mommas. Breastfeeding is an art. Some take to it instantly, but most of us have to really work the canvas until we get comfortable. My kids have weaned a long time ago and I miss the nursing ritual.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2885 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 ... 116  Next