| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1568 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 63  Next
 Post subject: Re: Graduate Students of the PPK, Assemble!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:24 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

coldandsleepy wrote:
Ugh. Venting for a moment.

One of my classes is taught by this guy who is very difficult to understand at times, which is not helped by the fact that he spends 90% of the time shouting (seriously). He told us in class that he was willing to review our first assignments (due in a while) before the turn in date provided that we got them to him at least a week in advance of the deadline. The assignment is 2 sets of work for 2 different processes.

I banged out the first set for the first process and sent it to him yesterday, asking for some feedback. What did I get back? An email from him saying don't send me any technical questions ever again, or I'll mark your address as spam.

What the ever living fork, guy. Thanks for the help?
Make a complaint; he's not doing his job and is misleading students.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:35 am 
Cranky

Gulliver wrote:
coldandsleepy wrote:

One of my classes is taught by this guy who is very difficult to understand at times, which is not helped by the fact that he spends 90% of the time shouting (seriously). He told us in class that he was willing to review our first assignments (due in a while) before the turn in date provided that we got them to him at least a week in advance of the deadline. The assignment is 2 sets of work for 2 different processes.

I banged out the first set for the first process and sent it to him yesterday, asking for some feedback. What did I get back? An email from him saying don't send me any technical questions ever again, or I'll mark your address as spam.

Um, speak to (email) him first. Ask him to clarify why he said the one thing and then shut you down. If his response is shitty, you have all the proof you need to go higher up. If it was a misunderstanding, it should be resolved quickly.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:01 am 
Married to the wolfman

I emailed him back for clarification. I'm just frustrated because I busted asparagus yesterday to get the work I sent to him done, and also because seriously I don't understand his expectations for email communication, the assignment, or the class overall.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:13 pm 
Kale Wreath

coldandsleepy wrote:

I am outraged on your behalf. That is awful!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:13 pm 
Human Gravy

Dr. Apricot wrote:
Gulliver wrote:
coldandsleepy wrote:

Um, speak to (email) him first. Ask him to clarify why he said the one thing and then shut you down. If his response is shitty, you have all the proof you need to go higher up. If it was a misunderstanding, it should be resolved quickly.

Hold on to those emails. I've had problems with profs in the past. You need the (electronic) paper trail. In this case email may be better than speaking to him in person because he has already gone against what he has said once and this way you'll have proof of what he says.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:40 pm 
Inflexitarian

Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!! (that is all)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:47 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Am I the only one that is finding grad school WAY easier than undergrad? To be fair, it's an MSW program, so no dissertations, no thesis to write, just internship in between classes. And internship is amazingly challenging and life-changing.

But I swear, the academic part of this is a joke. My program practically hands out A's. I've read maybe 1/2 of the readings assigned and breezed through everything. I feel REALLY REALLY bored in many of my classes. It now makes sense to me why this can be done online because I feel it's a tremendous waste of my time driving to campus for classes. Just online class and internship would have been the same education. Anyone experiencing this? I don't want this to come off as some kind of bragging or rubbing it in the face of the stressed out people. I'm posting because, in reality, the opposite of being super overwhelmed and busy is feeling patronized and bored and it creates a lot of anguish and anger for me since I'm paying out the asparagus for this program.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:43 am 
Inflexitarian

I think it's field dependent. I took some classes for an MA in Education that were a joke (no offense to anyone here... I was probably just at a really easy program!), but these English lit courses are crazy.

ETA: Or at least they become crazy once you add a 2-1 teaching load.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:58 am 
Human Gravy

I also was enrolled in a MEd program that was a joke. My MA program was pretty challenging--there was a ton of reading and the expectations for papers were pretty high. The coursework for my PhD program was really challenging as far as amount and difficultly of reading assignments and the frequency of writing assignments, especially when you add in TAing or teaching. I'm now in the self-guided phase (qualifying/dissertation) which is a challenge because you need self-discipline, but you also need to keep up with the standards of your faculty advisors (who are all different and thus have different expectations and ideas of what shape your work should take). I am also finding it difficult to even get feedback from one of my committee members, which in the end is going to cause problems as far me finishing on my desired timeline. I feel like he's going to wait to the last minute to hit me with a "well, this isn't at all what I expected... redo it." But, since I'm not talking classes, this is really all on me.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:11 am 
Inflexitarian

Allison, not Alison wrote:
your faculty advisors (who are all different and thus have different expectations and ideas of what shape your work should take)

<--This is what I'm dreading. Right now I'm just so sick of coursework and can't wait to be done, but I'm also not really looking forward to trying to make my dissertation meet the expectations of four different people.

On the plus side, I like grad school much better than the dead end job I used to have!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:38 am 
Human Gravy

quark wrote:
On the plus side, I like grad school much better than the dead end job I used to have!

Agreed.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:13 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I am so over trying to synthesize this all this research into a coherent paper. I'm about to give up for today, drink wine and grade some student work.

Writing Praying Vegan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:19 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Allison, not Alison wrote:
quark wrote:

Agreed.

Thirded. That's why I'm here, guys.

I had to write a 200 word intellectual merits piece for a project proposal that I am really not into, and I have such a hard time with so few words even when I AM into the project. So I procrastinated on it all weekend and I could have KEPT procrastinating on it until Tuesday afternoon probably but then it would be hanging over my head so I made myself sit down and write all 196 horrible words of it and then I made myself send it to my group members. So now I can spend the rest of my Sunday night doing what Sunday night was made for, fooling around on the internet and drinking whiskey.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:51 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Awesome. All the annotation work I was going to do today is already done! I wonder if my lab has a ghost. Or if I just did this a few months ago + forgot. Either way, party on. Bring on the stats! Etc.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:08 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My advisor just asked to meet in person instead of through a phone call this week. I'm not sure if I should be worried or not. Currently, I'm terrified. Ever since being put on probation I've felt terribly inadequate.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:02 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The results are in, and it's not good . . .
(scroll to bottom)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:48 pm 
Naked Under Apron

starrynight87 wrote:

Any updates?? Gosh, I want to just send you a hug and chocolate. <3 <3 <3

Writing Praying Vegan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:26 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

Oh grad school. In the next few weeks I'm gonna buy a GRE prep book and start studying up.

I finished up undergrad this past May and decided to take a year off to really focus on my band. I'm honestly kind of itching to get back into a classroom right now, though. Looking at heading back to school next Fall for a MA in (most likely) Education.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:40 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I didn't do as well as I thought I did in my last assessment (I'm doing an MA part time, and by distance learning), which is a little bit annoying. Reading back through it, I can see that it was a bit scrappy in places... I need to learn to proof-read better.

I'm also having trouble finding something to write about for my current assessment. There are a lot of moderately interesting things, but nothing I think I can extrude a full paper out of. Sigh.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:01 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

AutumnLeaves wrote:
starrynight87 wrote:

Any updates?? Gosh, I want to just send you a hug and chocolate. <3 <3 <3

I would love both.

My best friend just left. She dropped everything and spent the night here with me, and called off work saying she had a "family emergency." <3

My supervisor called me a second time yesterday evening and told me that he decided he'd fight for me, as long as I promised to step up my game. They seemed pretty pissed off over there, so he's not sure what's going to happen though. He's supposed to talk to them today and call me and my advisor immediately. I have two meetings tomorrow, one in the morning with my supervisor and one in the afternoon with my academic advisor. I'm so scared.

I work so hard, and I just don't understand why this is happening.

Right now, I'm basically waiting by the phone and trying to hold it together. I need to call my mom and let her know what's going on, but I want to wait until I hear more news.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:56 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I have a phone call with my advisor tonight. Ug.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:18 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Aw SN. I'm glad it at least sounds like your advisor has your back, and I hope you get some good news from that corner. That is such a shiitake situation to be in.

The shouting man finally emailed me back re: our earlier email exchange, saying nothing but that he'll "discuss this issue in class" today. I hope that means other people interpreted what he said in class the same way. That will make me feel less stupid.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:15 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

starrynight87, that sounds super stressful. It might help if you can offer them a plan as how you are going to move forward to bring your grades back up. Do you have a sense where you were struggling? If it's a specific subject you could get extra tutoring, or if it's essays you could describe how you will structure your time allow for more work on future assignments. Either way I really hope everything is OK! Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:55 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Thanks! I am more than willing to use this as a learning opportunity.

I just got off the phone with my other best friend. I ran through all of the points I wish to make to my advisor and supervisor and she says they are all solid.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:25 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

SN: I hope everything goes well for you.

Just got my first supervisor lined up for my MRP. Gosh, grad school is scary.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1568 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 63  Next