| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 357 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Slings/carriers/papooses..what do you recommend?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:59 pm 
Semen Strong

I love the backcarry in the Ergo. Its easy to do. I just feel like the body might be too short (15") so for babies who flop it may not work as well.

But that deal is crazy cheap.
http://babysteals.stealnetwork.com/

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:36 am 
Nooch of Earl

I find the backcarry works well when I have someone to assist. But other mothers seem better at life and can manage it alone.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:54 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Backcarry gets a lot easier when the kid's a bit older. I didn't wear Ezra for almost a year, and we just picked it up again right after he turned 2. He has the mind to be able to hold on around my neck while I buckle him in now. Before then, it was just a mess trying to do it on my own.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:49 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Yeah, I remember it being a real pita with one of the carriers I used with Baby G. Being able to do it on my own is of utmost importance.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:50 pm 

Has anyone heard of/used the Hip Seat: http://www.hippychick.com/index.cfm/pro ... hipseat-15. Was recommended by someone locally, but it looks a bit odd to me. (but Freya and I are odd too) :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:18 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Looks cool, though you'd still need to hold onto baby, so not hands free like some of the other baby-wearing choices. How old is Freya? If she were ~1 year or so, I bet it'd be really nice in the house.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:29 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

yeah that hip thing looks like the way I use the brest friend pillow all the time to walk around my office etc., its nice because you don't have to support the full weight with your arms but still not all that helpful...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:17 pm 
Semen Strong

honestly, I couldn't get a back carry down until I went to the Baby Wearers Group in our area. Just having someone actually work with you and your baby to find the best method for you is invaluable. Now I rock backcarries in the Ergo and MT, but still the sling is not my thing :)

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:33 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Momo wrote:
Anyone else here obsessed with BW & carriers??? I can't stop buying them :/ must wear all the babies!

Seriously though, there must be someone else here as crazy as I am about having beautiful stash, right?!!?
So far I have a stretchy wrap, pocket sling, BB2, Gira FR shorty, Lenny Lamb RS, Dream Carrier WC NL Podagei, Anaira Creations WCMT, Vatani Ningaloo 6, & KoKaDi elephantes 4 on preorder...I'd log to have more wraps, I think I might gets rainbow springs and I wouldn't mind a WCFB. An Obimama would be amazeballs but they are sooo hard to come by. They are usually FTO or at least $300+ which I never have enough in my pp when one comes up on the swaps!

whoah! i am loving the wrapping, but i have just bought my first woven. it's a gira amitola yellow weft 5 and it's just beautiful! zahara is loving the wrapping too. so much cuddlier than the mei tai and so much more comfortable than the ringslings now that she's getting massive.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:33 pm 
Semen Strong

ERMAGERD you guys! I just bought my first Kinderpack!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:15 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

so pretty tofulish!!! let us know how it goes!

here's a pic from the internet of my wrap i just bought, i have it on me right now and it's sooo pretty <3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:08 pm 

Okay, I feel a little dirty linking to mdc, but they spammed my inbox today and this was one of the threads mentioned: http://www.mothering.com/community/t/13 ... e-carriers. Some carriers there which I've never even heard of!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:17 pm 
Semen Strong

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:05 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Tofulish wrote:

***LOVE***

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:21 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

So now that winter approaches... How do you all like to dress your babies when you're going to wear them outside? Z is too big for the snuggly-type position in our sling or wrap, so he's got legs dangling out now. We've already started to layer, but baby clothing is so thin! Should we get one of those poofy baby snowsuits? (It doesn't get ridiculously cold here, but definitely below freezing many days and we get a lot of windchill.)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:34 am 
Semen Strong

I got a giant XXL fleece that I wear over me and Leela, who is in my carrier wearing an undershirt, sweater, leggings under jeans and socks and shoes (KP4lyfe!). It keeps us both toasty warm and is the cheapest BW solution.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:56 am 
Married to the wolfman

Most of the time it's not ridiculously cold here, but my solution when it's particular cold and/or rainy (the bigger issue here) is that after the baby's in, I take a larger fleece baby blanket and tuck it all around him. Blanket goes on the outside of the carrier and then I tuck it in anywhere I can... under his feet, around his shoulders, etc. It works for us. I also sometimes wear him on my front and wear my husband's jacket, which I can zip us both into, and just zip it til it gets to the back of his head.

I haven't had much luck putting him in a thicker suit and then putting him in the carrier-- too much bulk on him makes it really uncomfortable for me.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:04 pm 

I have one of these

http://www.amazon.com/Peekaru-Original- ... B0084EDA4M

I think you have to be careful not to over dress them because being snuggled next to you is quite warm. We do regular clothes under the fleece. A big puffy coat would be too warm for us.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:21 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I bought a big jacket last year that fit around me and Malka in the front carrier - I think it would probably still fit around her, but she doesn't like to be carried so much anymore. Not sure what to do if we wind up doing back carries in the cold.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:00 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Yeah, keeping the kid warm in the back carry is tricky! We're going to be in Oregon a few weeks in December and I NEED to be able to take the baby outside so I don't go nutso. But he's too big to go on front very long, and the last couple of years it's been ice and snow cold where my in laws live.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:38 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

It's cold here. What we are doing now is LittleMap wears whatever he was wearing inside plus booties, hat, and gloves. I put the wrap on over a sweater then insert him into the wrap. Then I put a peekaru fleece vest over both of us, and I wear my jacket unbuttoned. I like the idea of being able to wrap him outside my jacket- then he could wear his own winter clothes and I could put him in his stroller if that worked well- now we have to either dress him for the stroller or dress him for wearing, and we can't use both methods during one journey.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:23 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

We were thinking about getting the ergo winter weather cover. Has anyone tried it?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:46 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

C&S- in icy places front carries are recommended over back carries because when a person falls down, they fall backwards.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:48 pm 
Semen Strong

I do back carries with a big fleece over both of us and she seems toasty. Its way safer for us because I can carry her easy and it doesn't throw off my center of gravity.

I am careful on icy bits and fell once while hiking, and I basically threw myself forward and landed on my hands and she was fine.

Oh Ariann, there is a Babywearing meeting in Verona on Saturday, if you're up for working on the backcarry aspect

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:01 pm 
***LIES!!!***

like, of the BBW of NNJ? No thanks.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 357 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next