| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Car (seat) Talk
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:00 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

See what I did there?

(I miss NPR)

Anyway...I'd be interested in hearing about what your second-step carseats are, for your little ones. Freya's Maxi Cosi, which has been wonderful is about to the end of its time in our house. The max weight is 29 lbs and the top of her head is just over the top edge of the frame. She's just not quite 10 months though, so I still want something rear-facing. Our much loved pram took a beating on holiday (insert baggage handler rant here), so we're wondering even about some sort of travel system. I'm not sure something toddler-sized really exists though, and I'd definitely want the ability to have a rear-facing seat in stroller/buggy.

I'm actually not sure I can get rid of the pram yet. More than any piece of clothing, toy, item of furniture, etc...my heart is tied up with this buggy. We spent many many days walking in the crisp spring air, a couple of miles to town, Freya falling asleep on the way. She loves riding in it even now, like a queen in her chariot. Oi, I'm in love with a baby buggy. I need help.

Post subject: Re: Car (seat) Talk
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:38 pm 
Nooch of Earl

We just bought a Britax Advocate. Vi is hitting the height limit for the Chicco Keyfit 30 even though she's still <21 lb (bean pole baby). You can install it rear or forward facing, though my husband put it forward because he thinks she'll be "happier" there. *sigh*

If it's practical to carry it around, I would consider keeping your bucket for your existing travel system (if you have one) if you like it. The safety thing is only really an issue as a car seat, right?

At the moment we have both car seats installed - I generally use the Britax but the Chicco is still the best for when I know she'll fall asleep and nap for a few hours afterwards.

ETA: I actually really like the Britax and all the things that annoy me about the Keyfit don't apply to it. It definitely seems much more spacious and comfortable for V.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:42 pm 
Semen Strong

Leela is also outgrowing her infant car seat, so we have the Britax Pavilion. Those things are expensive!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:46 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

The only toddler-sized travel system that I'm aware of is Orbit Baby. I don't think the carseat is available in the UK though (standards are very different on different sides of the pond, I think). I wouldn't really recommend the todder carseat travel system though-- toddlers-sized carseats are so bulky that they aren't really great seats for a stroller. I have the Orbit toddler carseat and stroller, and I very very rarely take the seat out and put it on the stroller.

Basically, I recommend figuring out which carseat to get based on the size of your child, the size of your car, and how much $$ you want to spend. I love the car seat lady website, but once again, not useful for someone in the UK!

I really really wish I'd considered the size thing, because now that we have twins on the way, we're going to need to put 3 carseats in a row in the backseat of our car, and I think that means that we're going to have to buy all new carseats since the ones we have are all very wide. Very annoying!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:39 pm 
***LIES!!!***

We just got two Britax Marathon seats for free from a friend. I don't know if we would've chosen these seats, but they were free and free is better than anything else. Malka already looks much more comfy, but the seat is a bit more upright than the bucket seat, so she's more likely to slump a little when she falls asleep.

And did you know Car Talk is no more???

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:27 pm 

Thanks for the ideas. We can get most anything from the States over here too, it just takes a bit of doing sometimes. I wondered about the ease of a travel system for toddlers. I think we'll do as you suggested helbury and just hunt for the carseat and figure out the pram part later. We're hoping to ditch our car at the end of the year, so having a good stroller/buggy is going to be essential.

Aw, I just listened to them about 3 weeks ago while I washed dishes and pappa/baby were on a walk. I definitely have to be in the mood for them, but they will be missed. I wonder what they will do now.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:32 pm 
Semen Strong

They are really old, and plan to just enjoy being retired. Also, NPR has said they will be reairing their old shows, which is great because they are awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:12 pm 

refinnej wrote:
We're hoping to ditch our car at the end of the year, so having a good stroller/buggy is going to be essential.

I'm interested in knowing how the carless handle the Toddler carseats. We don't have a car and the infant seat is so easy to use without the base whenever we need to take a cab or go out of town...how do I mangage those big ones? (I have done no research on this, I admit)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:13 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

We have the Britax Boulevard for Silas and really love it. It is wide, but we fit 2 tall teenage boys next to it just fine in my Murano. Silas is super comfy in it. When we bought it, he was still rear facing for quite some time, and he was just so much happier in it than he was in his infant seat.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:56 am 
Chip Strong

We have the Britax Marathon and Ada really like it.

Butternut, when we take out a zipcar Andy just has to pull up and park temporarily in front of our building to install it. It only takes a couple of min and isn't too difficult. Same with using a car service to get to the airport. We used to take a train to visit my brother in long island and then he would pick us up from the station but yeah, not doing that with a toddler car seat. Now we just take out a zipcar to go there or for other similar situations. Which honestly is easier now anyway than trying to get Ada home via a few trains. just more expensive!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:04 pm 

Thanks sashi!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:49 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

We have the Diono Radian. It is supposed to be the least toxic carseat. As with all the convertibles, it is enormous and cannot fit in our car rear facing, so Grey had to start front facing at one year. He is a big boy so that makes me feel a bit better and he likes it a lot more, but I still have guilt because I know it is safer for him to be rear facing. I am really curious how people in Europe with smaller cars keep their kids rear facing.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:10 am 
***LIES!!!***

I'm sure they sell lower profile rear-facing car seats! Either that or they don't have these kinds of recommendations.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:00 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Does anyone have a really small car and have a rear facing convertible carseat? I have a Honda Fit and started reading reviews about how HUGE these seats are and I am getting concerned about it not fitting in our tiny backseat. We can still use our baby seat for a while longer but I was hoping to switch sooner rather then later as he really hates the car and I was hoping a different seat might help things a bit - especially before our 14 hour drive at Christmas that I am already dreading.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:49 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I believe the Combi Coccoro is the smallest convertible seat there is. If your kid is big though, it might not be a great choice because you can only be in the seat up to 33 lbs rear facing and 40 lbs forward facing.

I'm looking at getting two of them because I think it's the only seat that will allow me to put 3 seats in a row in my car.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:40 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I have a 2012 Ford Focus Hatchback and fit 2 Graco MyRides in there. In the beginning it was one forward and one rear facing, and now both our forward facing. I could still fit my small adult bum in between the two buckled as well They are huge, but I like them, and my kiddos seem so safe and comfortable.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:00 pm 

Thanks for the recs - I recently heard you can go to babys R us and they will let you try out the carseat in your car? I am hoping that is true and we can try a couple to make sure they fit! My baby is a giant so I don't think the combi sounds ideal but I guess I will have to take what will fit.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:09 pm 
***LIES!!!***

For what it's worth, the Honda Fit seems roomier than the Ford Focus (which I also have), and full-size rear/forward facing seats fit just fine in my car.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:40 am 
Nooch of Earl

My experience w/ tiny cars is that it very strongly depends on the person who will be sitting in front of the car seat.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:21 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Yes yes, what annak said. I always ride passenger in my Ford Focus when my husband is with us, and he drives. I am a petite 5'3" frame as well. It was even more important when the seat behind was rear facing.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:25 pm 
***LIES!!!***

We have the rear-facing seat right behind the driver's seat and it seems to work whether I'm driving or my husband, but the seat and the car seat are definitely touching.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:51 pm 

Both my husband and I are tall and prefer the seats to be all the way back which was my concern. I was reading that only certain brands of carseats allow "bracing" or having the carseat touch the car's seat (confusing there). I guess britax does allow bracing.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:23 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Man, sometimes it drives me up a wall how forking complicated everything has to be with a toddler.

So next week I'm taking a trip back to Chicago with V, leaving her there while I fly to visit the husband, and then flying back with her after a few days with family.

My family, who will be watching V, will need some sort of car seat. I don't want to bring our Britax Advocate because it's heavy and wide and I don't want to set it up again - feh - and don't really want baggage handlers throwing it around since it wasn't cheap.

But here's the logistics. I have a harness for the plane that works, and while it seems like a good idea to have her carseat on there I don't want to wrangle it through the airport alone and then have to have just the right seats to set it up and THEN have flight attendants glaring at me anyway, etc. Reading online I saw some really obnoxious stories.

So I could buy a new one and have it shipped to my parents, who could install it before picking me up. But then getting her to the airport, I will probably take a cab or limo because I don't want to pay to park for that long at the expensive SD airport parking (shoulda just flown out of LAX! Maybe the new airport Real Food Daily would have opened. and yes i am always thinking about my stomach.). I mean, I've put her in the ergo for cab rides in New York, but it seems vaguely unkosher, even though cabs seem to be a magical judgment-free, lawless zone when it comes to carseats.

Or I could order a carseat to send here, use it in the cab and then on the plane (or check it), and then have it in Chicago but that would involve so much wrangling of stuff..

Or I could ask somebody for a ride, but I'd need to find somebody who has a carseat they're not using. I know plenty of people with carseat age kids, but all of them have spouses who are deployed or whatever as well. So they'd have to have somebody watch their kids while they drove me and V to the airport, which doesn't seem likely to happen.

It's just all so complicated and expensive.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:57 pm 

Around here, there are car services with car seats so that might be an option for getting to the airport.

I have also been looking at travel car seats, but they are expensive.
http://safety1st.djgusa.com/en/djgusa/s ... 2256ahe--1

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:04 pm 
Semen Strong

Do you have friends in Chicago who belong to parenting groups? People on our mom's group lend out car seats all the time, if they just have them sitting in their garages. And there is more security in knowing the history of the seat than just buying one off CL.

Good luck!