| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1562 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 63  Next
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:38 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Gulliver wrote:
This is more a broad cheesemaking question that a book-specific one, which I hope is okay.

Has anyone ever added wheat gluten to their cheeses? I thought it might have a casein-y function as they're both stretchy binders. Maybe I'll try it when I feel like ruining something and my rejuvelac batch has rejuvelated.

sounds promising, Gulliver. i have never worked much with wheat gluten but please do report back when you start experimenting!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:37 pm 
Nailed to the V

how much tails am I supposed to wait for? I've got a bit of tail-age going so is it time to cultivate?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:05 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

daisysunshine wrote:
how much tails am I supposed to wait for? I've got a bit of tail-age going so is it time to cultivate?

Yes, a little tail is fine. Add water and let it sit until cloudy.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:41 am 
Nailed to the V

Thanks.
(I added some water hehe its cloudy NOW). the sprouts smelled very tangy-lemony so I don't think i have to wait too long

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:27 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Please convince me not to just eat the air-dried cheddar mixture that I made last night with pasta. or broccoli. Or just with a spoon. It is already so good just as is. I know this book is all about patience and stuff, but having to wait nearly a week for it just isn't fair...I guess I need to start another batch as soon as this one is done to have around.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:50 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I'm going to try some of the VegNews recipes and maybe even lose my rejuvelac virginity. Hopefully this thread will help with my fears. I'm really excited about this cookbook and haven't even tasted anything from it yet! It's definitely going on my Christmas wish list.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:57 pm 
Naked Under Apron

bekki wrote:
Please convince me not to just eat the air-dried cheddar mixture that I made last night with pasta. or broccoli. Or just with a spoon. It is already so good just as is. I know this book is all about patience and stuff, but having to wait nearly a week for it just isn't fair...I guess I need to start another batch as soon as this one is done to have around.

The air dried cheeses get nice and firm if you can wait, even just a few days. The air dried gouda and cheddar have been favorites!

Also, I made antipasto and made mini fresh buffalo balls that were drizzled with a garlic and basil infused olive oil, then served with tomato slices, more basil and salt and pepper. So very good.

Pub cheddar is also really good!
xo
kittee

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:31 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Two sad updates: no sprouting on either my brown rice or millet yet. I tried another coop for rejuvelac, no go. Is there some magic or obvious secret I'm missing here?

My parmesan was in no condition to flip after 24 hours, so I let it sit out another night. I just got back from being away last night, and it's in several pieces. The side touching the parchment is still very sticky in some spots. I flipped the pieces as well as I could and salted the top to sit some more. The taste is tangy and great, though!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:43 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I used quinoa and mine sprouted really quickly. I think someone mentioned earlier that quinoa was the easiest to sprout, so I figured I would ease myself in and try that first.

The water is really cloudy but doesn't really taste like anything yet- was I supposed to rinse the sprouted quinoa before adding the filtered water? Because it got cloudy almost immediately. Fingers crossed it'll be lemony tonight!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:49 pm 
Tofu Pup

Buffalo Mozzarella by misterrachel, on Flickr

Buffalo Mozzarella & balsamic vinegar. I was out of tomatoes and basil...

Mini review in my blog!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:53 pm 
Semen Strong

That looks so good!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:56 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

jdfunks wrote:
My parmesan was in no condition to flip after 24 hours, so I let it sit out another night. I just got back from being away last night, and it's in several pieces. The side touching the parchment is still very sticky in some spots. I flipped the pieces as well as I could and salted the top to sit some more. The taste is tangy and great, though!

I meant to make this suggestion earlier: split the Parmesan into two parts to dry. I don't even want to talk about the mess that happened when I flipped mine, and honestly, I can't imagine how long it would have taken to truly been ready. I'll just say that you're lucky to have only found yours in two pieces. I had drained mine mine enough based on the reduction in volume, so maybe it's because I live in NC (it's all kinds of humid here!)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:14 pm 
Nailed to the V

Erinnerung wrote:
I used quinoa and mine sprouted really quickly. I think someone mentioned earlier that quinoa was the easiest to sprout, so I figured I would ease myself in and try that first.

The water is really cloudy but doesn't really taste like anything yet- was I supposed to rinse the sprouted quinoa before adding the filtered water? Because it got cloudy almost immediately. Fingers crossed it'll be lemony tonight!

Mine is the same way.
Let's wait 3 days eh? and we'll see how ours come out :)
(and yes, are we supposed to rinse the sprouted quinoa then add water?)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:49 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I only use quinoa for rejuvelac. Its easy and sprouts fast.

Soak quinoa 3-8 hours. Drain. Rinse. Place in sieve or other draining device. cover with a cloth and place in a dark place that is not too hot or cold. (I put mine inside of my microwave with the light off)

every hour or so, RINSE quinoa. put back in dark place. do this for about two days. IF you cant get to it every hour or so, dont worry...just do it when you remember.

on about the second or third day, you will see little tails. I usually wait for the tails to get a little longish and then I place them in a large glass container or bowl and add filtered water. cover with cloth and place in dark place. let sit for two days. Occasionally STIR the mix to give it some extra fermenting power.

Taste it on the second or third day. It should look cloudy and taste lemony-smokey. It should taste FRESH. If it tastes rotten or bad, toss it, because it is bad. This is not a common thing--I have had this happen only once in all my years of making the stuff.

Rejuvelac is not hard to make and dont stress out. I read these posts and see so many people stressing over rejuvelac. Go for the easiest grain to sprout: QUINOA. And dont worry so much. It will work for you--

:)

D.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:54 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

My favourite was with (domestic, Australian) brown rice. I'm wondering, however, if people's brown rice is not sprouting because it's imported? Aren't many imported rice varieties irradiated to stop growth?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:22 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I've had the smoked Provolone in the fridge for about a week. I'm pretty sure it's supposed to last 6 weeks...? Just pulled it out and it's covered in mold! I wonder if it wasn't wrapped tightly enough, or what what wrong? The Cheddars that I made even before that look like they're doing fine, so it seems strange. Also made the Brie, Gruyere, Parmesan and Swiss style (which smells strongly of wine). Those all look fine, but haven't tasted them yet. I wonder what went wrong with the poor little Provolone. That one looked so pretty, too.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:44 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

PoesiePie wrote:
I've had the smoked Provolone in the fridge for about a week. I'm pretty sure it's supposed to last 6 weeks...? Just pulled it out and it's covered in mold! I wonder if it wasn't wrapped tightly enough, or what what wrong? The Cheddars that I made even before that look like they're doing fine, so it seems strange. Also made the Brie, Gruyere, Parmesan and Swiss style (which smells strongly of wine). Those all look fine, but haven't tasted them yet. I wonder what went wrong with the poor little Provolone. That one looked so pretty, too.

I don't know what to say about the mold. I have found most of the cheeses keep fairly well. On the other hand, I moved some cheese into another refrigerator, and was surprised to find it getting moldy after a couple of weeks. How well they are wrapped, how clean they were at the time of refrigeration, the temperature, all play a part. The lower the water content. the longer they keep typically. The parmesan keeps the longest - I just finished some that was a year old. The cheddar generally keeps for several months. But it's just like dairy cheese as I remember - sometimes they get moldy faster than others. If you're not sure, you can always freeze them.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:08 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I'm so intrigued by this thread, and can't wait to order the book. Your food pictures are making me drool.

Question though. I'm a bit nervous about the sprouting and aging stuff on my kitchen etc since I'm pregnant. Should I wait on delving into this until after the baby is born? I'd ask my OB, but the chances of her knowing anything about this stuff are pretty slim. Not exactly pasturized if I'm making it myself, then again will sticking quinoa in water to sprout grow into lysteria? I don't want to take unnecessary chances, but how likely is doing something wrong in vegan cheese creation that will make me and baby sick?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:11 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I think sprouts are supposed to be off limits in pregnancy. I think I'd avoid homemade cheeses, too. But there are some cheeses in the book that don't require culturing, so maybe those would work?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:28 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

PoesiePie wrote:

Hi PosiePie,

i've discovered that the top shelf of my fridge is much more humid than the rest and things there, if not super well-sealed (i've started using Ball jars sealed with the food sealer), tend to get moldy much more quickly. if i store things on the bottom shelf, i have much better luck.

hope that helps!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:45 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My millet started sprouting! I feel like I'm jinxing myself by posting, but hey. I transferred it to new jars this morning.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:23 pm 
Nailed to the V

Hmm. mine smells to high heaven.... but no lemon yet.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:18 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

daisysunshine wrote:
Hmm. mine smells to high heaven.... but no lemon yet.

Probably not a good sign? Mine successfully finished today, and it smells tangy.

Now I have to remember to stop at the Asian market tomorrow for some miso.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:36 pm 
Nailed to the V

Im going to do it all over again and take everyone's advice. :)
No biggy. just a loss of 2 cups of quinoa.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:11 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Rejuvelac success! I have all my appendages crossed that my carageenan will be waiting on my doorstep when I get home tonight.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1562 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 63  Next