| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: What Romney allegedly thinks of Obama supporters
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:17 pm 
Semen Strong

What is "it"? I honestly don't know what a Romney presidency would bring. Besides a very conservative SCOTUS justice to replace Ginsburg when she retires in 2015, which would just be the everliving suck.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:26 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i lived in massachusetts while he was governor, and nothing burst into flames, but he was catering to a group of deeply democratic voters, so his rhetoric and his approach were entirely different (he was still an arrogant son of a bisque; that's a core trait). i wasn't quaking in my boots when i first heard he was a frontrunner in the primaries, but i'm nervous now. i honestly have no idea what a romney presidency would look like, either. because i got used to him in that other setting, a lot of what i'm seeing now is initially bewildering and then deeply dismaying in an "oh, america" sort of way, because this is what our current party system does to and demands of people who at least have the potential to be reasonable.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:34 pm 
WRETCHED

I meant him being a candidate is real, that is the 'it'. And the real possibility that he could be the president.

And yeah, the president doesn't act alone but I think voting in Romney would mean other things like voting in others that think like him (if people are voting for him that is).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:38 pm 
Grandfathered In

But when he was governor of Massachusetts, he championed pro-life policies (or am I wrong about that?) and (closer to) sensible health care systems.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:47 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

FootFace wrote:
But when he was governor of Massachusetts, he championed pro-life policies (or am I wrong about that?) and (closer to) sensible health care systems.

i really don't remember him being avidly pro-life. maybe i'm remembering wrong or didn't pay enough attention, but i think it was a case of him professing to be pro-life personally but promising that it wouldn't interfere with policy, and i know he said he believed that safe and legal abortion should be a right. he did later veto a bill related to expanding access to EC, but that was many years later, when he was (i assume) already planning to take a stab at the presidency.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:06 pm 
Grandfathered In

Hit us up, Rude Pundit.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:42 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

acr wrote:
i really don't remember him being avidly pro-life. maybe i'm remembering wrong or didn't pay enough attention, but i think it was a case of him professing to be pro-life personally but promising that it wouldn't interfere with policy, and i know he said he believed that safe and legal abortion should be a right. he did later veto a bill related to expanding access to EC, but that was many years later, when he was (i assume) already planning to take a stab at the presidency.

the impression i've gotten is that Romney is the type of person who will modify his stances on issues to appeal to his electorate. he wasn't disconcerting as a governor because Massachusetts voters are pretty left-leaning compared to the country as a whole. but now he's representing the entire GOP, so he's had to move considerably to the right.

a similar thing happened in 2008 with McCain, i think - at the beginning i thought he wouldn't be such a bad president, but as the campaigns progressed i remembered that the Republican party has jumped the fricking shark. i don't think anyone with a centrist bone in their body could possibly lead the country to the best of their ability while having to answer to the RNC as it is today.

So today at PPK I learned how to fork up a falafel and a taco. - craiger_ny

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:41 pm 
Grandfathered In

Naw, McCain always sucked.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:16 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

they're discussing this on the news, and did i just hear romney distinguish hispanic voters from "actual american" voters? oh my goodness.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:38 pm 
WRETCHED

Oh Romney... Maybe he should check out how many Hispanic voters there are in the US.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:41 pm 
Semen Strong

Wow! That is even worse than him saying it would be easier for him to get elected if he were Latino...
http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/politi ... e-winning/

Is there a link?

Last edited by Tofulish on Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:42 pm 
Tofu Pup

He is in deep sh*t for this. Many pundits, talk show hosts are already saying he's done for over this. I have heard there is more damaging video of him that's about to come out.

Someone secretly recorded Romney saying these things at a $50,000 a plate fundraiser. That would be sweet justice if the source of the video was one of 'the help'.

I'm excited because I think this might, MIGHT (I get overly hopeful sometimes) be the straw that breaks the camel's back. And I mean not just the Romney/Ryan ticket but the republican party, for a long, long time.

Next election cycle the demographic base that typically supports the republican party (which has been shrinking MORE, quickly, lately) is shrinking. The broader demographic base for the democrats is growing, growing, growing. They have expressed enough sexism, racism, homophobia to turn off a broad array of otherwise potential voters for a while.
They need the executive branch this time around so that they would be able to at least create the conditions necessary to terrify more people to vote for them. That's all I can think of for them to attract more voters for their base. This is a party that openly believes that waging wars is a good way to gain popularity for pete's sake. Believe what you want about these two parties being 'the same', if that's what you believe, but the current democratic party is not evil enough to wage wars out of machismo, brainlessness and cold-heartedness. The republicans cannot attract voters with their real plans for this country. That's actually what I have feared, is that if these bastardos get the executive branch they'll screw things up far worse, ironically to bring more citizens closer to them, while at the same time advancing their sick agenda.

Since they're very likely going to miss the chance at a republican administration they'll have to wait four more years. Within those four years the economy will probably get better, Americans will have enough time to realize that Obamacare is far from the death knell of this country, and who knows what else will happen. In that time everyone will realize that the ridiculous, teabagger warnings about 'the end of America' under a second Obama term were exactly that, ridiculous and EXTREMELY paranoid. That far right which has come to dominate the republican party, as well as their most fanatic supporters, is going to lose it even more if Obama wins a second term. The apocalypse will not happen and everyone is going to laugh at them, and distance themselves from them, more. And trust them & the republicans less. While the demographic base of the democratic party grows, even more.

Also, the republican party is about to realize, too late, that they have derailed themselves by letting FOX news and the teabaggers take their party over. The nature of the right wing conservative mindset just HAPPENS to be close-minded, hard-headed, stubborn and not so capable of self reflection. So, it is going to take them a long time, and a lot of infighting/resolution, to get themselves back on track as a more moderate-conservative friendly party. I don't even see how that can happen. People like my dad are really down today because their republican party has become poisoned with Obama derangement syndrome, incivility and fundamentalist ideology in just a few years.

I am borrowing from James Carville's theory of the democratic party becoming the dominant party in this county for the next 40 years. That's the lead strategist of the Clinton campaign talking.

Sorry for going a bit off topic here, I see this Romney blunder as being too much to recover from, what with all else he and his campaign have blundered. And if this is too much for his campaign to recover from it could end up as a critical turning point for our future. Because if Romney/Ryan get the white house I'm afraid they will acknowledge the threat they face in future elections, of less supporters. These people believe in lying, cheating, anything to get their way because their kind are more entitled than anyone else to rule this country. Who knows what shenanigans or disasters they'd pull off just to stay in power

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:54 pm 
Semen Strong

Have you seen Mexican Mitt, btw? https://twitter.com/mexicanmitt It is a twitter account satirizing Mitt's attempts to play up his Mexican roots (his father was born to Americans living there). I loved "I am the Juan percent." And "chupacabras are people, my friend."

Also re the death of the GOP, there was a lot of buzz saying the same thing after Obama's election and then we got the Tea Party and GOP "The Party Of No" gaining control of congress, so I'm not hearing any death knells for the GOPs, and not even for Mitt at this point. As I said above, for whatever reason, he is going to the right wing of the party with Ryan instead of positioning himself as a moderate, so his comments are in line with that faction which is why he isn't disavowing them.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:32 am 
WRETCHED

Basically Romney doesn't know how to win an election. The extreme right will vote for Romney no matter what. The extreme left will never vote for Romney. The moderates are the ones you have to win over. Obama plays the moderates while Romney ignores them.

It doesn't make sense unless he doesn't care about winning the election or hopes that the moderates are thinking that they gave Obama his chance and now want something new.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:18 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

acr wrote:
they're discussing this on the news, and did i just hear romney distinguish hispanic voters from "actual american" voters? oh my goodness.

He said that on the news? I wish I had a video of that. Can't seem to find it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:29 am 
Semen Strong

I can't find a link either, and can't believe it wouldn't have hit the Mitt Gaffometer by now.

And I wouldn't say that Mitt doesn't know how to win an election. He has so many analysts and strategists on this team, that they might just have a strategy past "appeal to the middle ground" I agree that esp with the choice of Ryan, this isn't a middle ground ticket. Perhaps they feel like if they mobilize their base and keep likely Obama voters from the polls, they can win in the crucial swing states. Hey, PA specifically designed its voter ID law to deliver that state for Romney.

I feel like the GOP strategy with the election is like their strategy with abortion. They can't win straight up or overturn Roe v. Wade, but they can quietly chop and chip away at it until they get what they are after.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:33 am 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

he didn't say it on the news; the news was airing a clip of the video footage. but i did mishear; the actual quote is, "if the Hispanic voting bloc becomes as committed to the Democrats as the African American voting bloc, why, we're in trouble as a party and, I think, as a nation." african american, not actual american. my presumptuous bad.

eta: i want to link to the video, but i can't wade through it right now to find the right time stamp, so here's an article that mentions that statement:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... e-him.html

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:13 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

linanil wrote:
It doesn't make sense unless he doesn't care about winning the election or hopes that the moderates are thinking that they gave Obama his chance and now want something new.

Given the attention span of the voting American public, this is a good strategy.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:01 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

We built it together: a hand up for Mitt Romney’s family, Paul Ryan’s family, and mine

Ugh I saw all these cave paintings complaining about vegan cheese options. I don't miss those days. -Isa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:08 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I thought this was pretty funny...

http://jezebel.com/5951975/rosie-perez-hilariously-unamused-by-romneys-claim-that-latinos-have-it-easier-than-white-dudes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:48 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

chosephine wrote:

What if you were gay and had a vagina! In the bag!