| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2824 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78 ... 113  Next
 Post subject: Re: the lactation station: share your breast feedin' stuff h
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:16 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

So sweet - and thanks for the warning about the tissues!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:48 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

In preparation for going back to work and having to pump I would like to boost my supply a bit - for those of you who found Mother's Milk Tea to be of benefit how much did you drink. The box says 3-5 8oz servings a day. I think the drink is yummy so I don't mind having the maximum amount but at the same time it is a little spendy since there are only 16 tea bags in a box. Advice greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:56 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

ahhh I read that article while pumping yesterday at the office and was in tears immediately. It sure made me walk even faster to get home when I got out!

annasrobbie, I did think a mother's milk tea helped a bit. However, I bought a big bag of something called Mama Special Blend or something from Iherb.com - waaaay cheaper than buying those boxes, just fyi.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:00 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Ahhh refinnej I am bawling right now.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:58 pm 
Semen Strong

I love breastfeeding, and it has been really easy for us, but I am not going to miss having my breasts bitten or having someone demand constant tit-access. No tissues here!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:11 pm 
Married to the wolfman

In what will likely endure as one of my least sexy moments ever, I just pumped both sides standing up with no shirt on while wearing the Magician on my back in the ergo.

He did fall asleep though, and I pumped 10 oz of milk, so at least my goals were met.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:14 pm 
Semen Strong

Nice work C&S!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:16 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

coldandsleepy wrote:
In what will likely endure as one of my least sexy moments ever, I just pumped both sides standing up with no shirt on while wearing the Magician on my back in the ergo.

He did fall asleep though, and I pumped 10 oz of milk, so at least my goals were met.

This is kind of a superwoman feat. Nicely done.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:19 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Ha! Awesome. I'll have to try that.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:48 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

haha seriously, don't know how to say this without being a perv, but c&s, your boobs are awesome! (It would take me 2 days to pump 10oz probably.) And you are obviously a master multitasker!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:39 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

@tofulish...I am going to be glad when our time is over too. I'm really not sure about making it until F's two, which is when the most significant health benefits begin to disappear, near as I can tell. We very very rarely have those picture-perfect moments, but when she nurses while wide awake, she often plays with my face and then has to unlatch because we get into fits of giggles. Despite the screaming, vomiting, pumping, biting biting biting, plugged ducts, and surely more tears than in all the world's rivers...I will miss the boobie giggles, nose dives into my cleavage while riding the bus, her poking my nipples "back in" (this is new), etc.

Seriously c&s, you should get some kind of "golden boob" award for that!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:15 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

annasrobbie wrote:
In preparation for going back to work and having to pump I would like to boost my supply a bit - for those of you who found Mother's Milk Tea to be of benefit how much did you drink. The box says 3-5 8oz servings a day. I think the drink is yummy so I don't mind having the maximum amount but at the same time it is a little spendy since there are only 16 tea bags in a box. Advice greatly appreciated!

Are you pumping now? If it's possible, pumping more frequently rather than longer sessions it supposed to help.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:19 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Yes I am pumping now. I have had the luxury of having two adults home for the last two months so can pump pretty much whenever I please - I have pumped about 10-15 minutes after most feedings for the last several weeks. I just got off the phone with a lactation consultant though and among many issues she addressed what pumping for work and she recommended just waiting and seeing how much I actually pump while there before doing any type of supplement. For other reasons she wants me to stop pumping right now after noon. Giles continues his refusal to boob in the evenings and we all agree it is because breastmilk just doesn't flow fast enough for him at night - she thinks keeping him away from bottles and stopping the pumping at night (therefore supposedly letting the breast fill more between feedings) will help. Of course baby got his 2 month vaccinations today and is soooo sad and is refusing the breast. I think he might get a bottle from me today. If it wasn't such a pain to pump and clean gazillions of bottles I would move to exclusive pumping because this is so frustrating. Hopefully we can work through it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:43 pm 
***LIES!!!***

annasrobbie, did the LC show you how to bottle feed in a way that supports breastfeeding? Obviously use the smallest nipple, but also, if you have Giles sit up on your lap (supported with your hand on his back) and hold the bottle just high enough that there's milk covering the nipple opening, but not so much that gravity gives him an advantage, it helps make him work a little to get it and keep using good sucking techniques. This can help babies go back and forth easier and not come to prefer the bottle.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:00 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Thanks Ariann - I hadn't heard of that!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:32 pm 
***LIES!!!***

refinnej wrote:
nose dives into my cleavage while riding the bus, her poking my nipples "back in"

I don't know what this is about, but Malka does this stuff and I haven't breastfed in like 8-9 months.

So you have as long as you want to enjoy nipple poking I guess!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:52 pm 
And you never will.

You guys, I'm having a bad week. My nipples hurt SO BAD (I think it's PMS? Not sure, I'm only on DAY FREAKING 70 of my cycle... but that's another thread), and poopiebaby just wants to nurse all damn day. And night. And pinch, and pull, and twist and turn and... ugh. I'm so over it right now, I'm starting to resent him every time he nurses. Something about the sensation is like the most irritating feeling in the world lately and I can't stand it.

*deep breath*

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:06 pm 

Oi, pb, that sucks. I'm not following the ttc thread so well...are you sure you're not pg? Boob pain was killer for me in the beginning.

@Ariann..that's good to know, chuckle. I thought the boob-diving was food related, but maybe it's just nice and warm and squishy in there. (she really does it a lot on the bus for some reason too)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:21 pm 

annasrobbie wrote:
Yes I am pumping now. I have had the luxury of having two adults home for the last two months so can pump pretty much whenever I please - I have pumped about 10-15 minutes after most feedings for the last several weeks. I just got off the phone with a lactation consultant though and among many issues she addressed what pumping for work and she recommended just waiting and seeing how much I actually pump while there before doing any type of supplement. For other reasons she wants me to stop pumping right now after noon. Giles continues his refusal to boob in the evenings and we all agree it is because breastmilk just doesn't flow fast enough for him at night - she thinks keeping him away from bottles and stopping the pumping at night (therefore supposedly letting the breast fill more between feedings) will help. Of course baby got his 2 month vaccinations today and is soooo sad and is refusing the breast. I think he might get a bottle from me today. If it wasn't such a pain to pump and clean gazillions of bottles I would move to exclusive pumping because this is so frustrating. Hopefully we can work through it.

Have you tried power pumping? My LC recommended doing it once a day when I was trying to up my supply. It takes longer but then you are done with it.

You pump for twenty minutes. Stop and rest ten minutes. Pump ten minutes. Rest ten minutes. Pump ten minutes. Then you are done. I just left the whole apparatus set up (hands free bra, hello!) and watched tv while I did it. I believe this helped me a lot. I was also pumping after feedings until 6:00pm.

I hope you get things sorted out so the two of you are more comfortable.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:00 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Thanks butternut! I will give that a try - I definitely need to get myself a hands free bra. You mentioned pumping after feedings until 6 pm - was that because of slower flow/volume in the early evening? I have been reading more on KellyMom about fussing at the breast in the evenings and I am thinking Giles behavior might just be a normal baby thing... I wish breasts had a little ticker on them that let you know how many ounces were being produced - and maybe baby tummies could have a little window one could see if they were nice and full or not. :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:04 pm 

Yeah, it was just too much for me to pump in the evenings. She would get too fussy and i never knew when she just wanted to comfort nurse or if she was really hungry. It just made me feel better to take that time off from pumping.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:10 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Does it matter what time of day you power-pump? Such as - would one want to power pump in the afternoon when the supply seems a little less or does it not matter.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:18 pm 
And you never will.

refinnej wrote:
Oi, pb, that sucks. I'm not following the ttc thread so well...are you sure you're not pg? Boob pain was killer for me in the beginning.

Thanks. Two separate tests have confirmed that I am not pregnant (STILL), and boob pain has been a new and exciting PMS symptom since my period came back after poopiebaby, so I'm guessing (hoping?) it has to be that. It just seems a lot worse right now than it's been before, plus the added feeling of being SUPER ANNOYED anytime he latches on. Like, to the point where I'm seriously considering weaning him.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:17 pm 

annasrobbie wrote:
Does it matter what time of day you power-pump? Such as - would one want to power pump in the afternoon when the supply seems a little less or does it not matter.

I'm not sure if it matters what time of day you do it. I just tried to fit it in when my husband was around and baby was asleep.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:32 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I may do my first power pump tonight then when the manchild goes to sleep.

On another note I "cataloged" my frozen breast milk and discovered that I have 6 lbs stored up! I was super excited and had no idea that all those little 2 oz baggies would equal so much!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2824 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78 ... 113  Next