| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My stinky feet
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:11 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I have them. I work on my feet and wear TOMS or similar all the time because I need something comfortable, but my feet get sweaty and stinky pretty fast. I use Lush's T for Toes--however it has kind of stopped working now, and I hate the build up of powder in the shoes. It's almost like clay--so I wash the shoes, but that never fully gets rid of the stench and it makes the shoes look ancient.

How do you deal with your stinkers?

I would LOVE the option of sandals or flip-flops, but I need something closed-toe.

Post subject: Re: My stinky feet
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:10 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

What about plain baby powder or gold bonds medicated foot powder or baking soda? If you sprinkle them at night when you take them off (let the sweat dry first) and then let them air out over night they should start smelling better.

I just bought my first pair of Toms a few months ago and I don't wear them everyday. So I haven't noticed if they smell or not, but I'm sure they will eventually! How do they handle being washed?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:16 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

What about a comfy shoe you can wear socks with? I'm not a big fan of flats or slip-ons like Toms because I hate having sweaty feet.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:22 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

creep wrote:
What about a comfy shoe you can wear socks with? I'm not a big fan of flats or slip-ons like Toms because I hate having sweaty feet.

I'm with you on this one. I hate the feeling of closed toe shoes with no socks. But for some reason Toms doesn't have this effect on me. I don't consider myself as having sweaty feet. But I'm sure they get sweaty and funky without me realizing it from time to time. I haven't noticed any issue with wearing Toms sockless yet!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:51 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Use your deodorant on them - seriously! I slap Mitchum on mine (the solid one, which I hope is still vegan) and it works! No more vinegar feet!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:05 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I desperately need a solution to this problem, too. I wear flats to work every day that look stupid with socks, but they are filthy inside and smelly and it's embarrassing. I work in an office, so I need shoes I can wear with dress pants. Even my sandals are gross looking. There's like a footprint of gross black gunk that won't come off.

I have tried baking soda. I have tried putting them in the freezer. I have tried baking soda AND the freezer at the same time. I just want to give up and buy new shoes, but the ones I have now aren't even that old. A few months, maybe.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:33 am 
Kale Wreath

I used to get stinky feet with canvas shoes too, but when I moved to Japan I discovered the thin socks that barely cover your toes and the bottom of your foot, and since then I haven't had any trouble. I highly recommend those socks, you can buy them here too.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:10 am 
Inflexitarian

insoles. seriously. you put them in your shoes and when they get stinky, you wash them. and they suck up all the stink and ick. i swear by them for all my shoes-sans-socks.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:07 am 
Seagull of the PPK

insoles or peds!! (i think that's what Dragonssister is talking about). i get horrible blisters, even when shoes are broken in, and have to wear socks with everything, and i have several pairs of these peds- different colors, different coverage.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:40 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

GraciaKai wrote:
How do they handle being washed?

Just fine! Actually, it helps them for me, because mine stretched way too much when I first got them, but washing them (I even put them in the dryer, which wears them down a little bit, but whatevs) shrinks them to fit a bit better.

I've tried those wee socks that are just toe to heel in the past to no avail. It sounds like insoles are my best bet. When the weather cools I'll start wearing my boots with socks, but for now I am wearing casual dresses with bare legs almost every day so bare feet in flats is kind of what I need to stick with for now.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:43 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I can't do peds. Those forkers never stay on my feet and then I'm just fighting with them all day.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:23 am 
Seagull of the PPK

you might want to see if you can try different types of peds, i was amazed to see there are now different types- i have a few varieties and one is a "higher-top" one (the model has a gel pad in the bottom) and there's no way that forker is coming off. yet it's not visible unless your shoe is really low cut.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:48 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

GraciaKai wrote:
I can't do peds. Those forkers never stay on my feet and then I'm just fighting with them all day.

Same here! If anyone knows of any brands that don't do that, I'd probably try them. It would be nice to wear flats without sweaty feet.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:40 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

My feet get super sweaty and I hate wearing socks in the summer. I have been using these washable terry cloth insoles. When they get gross, I wash them with some peppermint Dr. Bronner's (minty fresh!) and let them air dry overnight. They've been working well so far.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:20 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I haven't tried it but I read that you can soak your feet in strong black tea. You can google it for directions.

I also saw on one of the morning shows that you can seal your shoes in a ziploc bag and put them in the freezer over night. Supposedly it takes away all of the odor.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:04 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

This is a little OT, but a couple years ago my then 10-year-old told me the salt and vinegar potato chips I bought smelled like his sandals in the summer...and he liked them. Ewww!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:59 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I have been known to use my deodorant crystal on my feet. It doesn't stop them being sweaty, but if I make sure to get between the toes it keeps them from being stinky. My boyfriend uses alcohol and baking soda to de-stink his sneakers. He sprays the inside really well with 99% isopropyl alcohol to kill any bacteria and, after it sits overnight, shakes some baking soda in to neutralize the acid that makes the stink.