| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The big C
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:06 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

My 12 year old cat had a tumor removed from her chest almost 2 weeks ago, and the lab results came back positive for cancer (adenocarcinoma). The vet told me the cancer has already spread to Kitty's lymph nodes, but they would have to do imaging studies to see if it has reached her internal organs. The oncologist who reviewed her case said that chemo would not help at this stage.

The prognosis isn't good for the long term, but right now she is doing okay, and doesn't appear to be in obvious distress. I'm taking Kitty for a post-op visit tomorrow and will hopefully find out more.

If anyone has experience with caring for a pet with cancer, I would appreciate hearing how you dealt with it. Not just the emotional stuff, which is difficult, but the practical side too because I'm not really sure what to expect with an animal who may be terminally ill. It seems weird to type that out, because Kitty doesn't seem all that sick.

Post subject: Re: The big C
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:53 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

I am so sorry. I can tell you that Mar had cancer but it was on his tail and had not spread so we had his tail amputated. It does not apply to your situation, I just want to say you and your kitty our in my thoughts.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:17 am 
Dead by dawn

As much as I hate to say it, you may want to prepare yourself for a rapid decline. I have had a dog with adenocarcinoma (primary lung involvement,) and have been through osteosarcoma and lymphoma with family cats. Each time, because of how advanced it was at diagnosis, the choice has just been to provide palliative care and it's all gone down pretty quickly. Regardless of how you decide to treat, just love her as hard as you can. I'm so sorry you're going through this with kitty. <3<3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:26 am 
WRETCHED

I am so sorry.

The only experience we have is that my childhood cat had normal (not cat) leukemia. She lived for another year after the diagnosis and didn't seem to be in pain. One day, she seemed normal then disappeared. We found her the next day in a hidden spot in the backyard and she was gone.

When I was young, we had another cat that had a different issue. There was a noticeable deterioration from one day to the next and we knew it was time but we also had hopes of a full recovery. This is hard for me to tell you but I think most people just know. Keep your kitty comfortable and ask the doc about what can be done to keep her comfortable. Cats are definitely good at hiding pain as well so that part is tough. Concentrate on the positives and do the best you can and know that whatever decision you make and when you make it, you are doing it for your kitty's best interest.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:11 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I'm so sorry bunniee. My kitty that I had for a really long time and was my bestest friend passed away because of cancer. He was fine and then one day he was just really sick. It took a few different tests to diagnosis him. Once we were at that point though he was in such rough shape that there was really only one choice. My experience with caring for him was only a week and a half or so. All I could do was make him as comfortable as possible and when it became apparent that he was suffering and miserable, we let him go.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:15 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I don't have any experience, but I wanted to say I'm sorry this is happening to your kitty and I'm sure you'll make the right decisions.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:24 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'm so sorry you are going through this with your kitty. I don't have any advice except to cherish every day you have with her. I hope she still has many good days to spend with you.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:47 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Thanks for the well wishes & suggestions. <3 I'm kind of expecting Kitty to decline quickly once the disease is in her lungs or other organs, I just don't know when that is going to happen or what part of her body it's going to affect next. When we go to see the vet tomorrow, I'll ask them for signs & symptoms to watch out for. I can usually tell when Kitty is in pain or not feeling well, because she hides under my bed and doesn't want to socialize.

At least she is eating and in good spirits for now. Earlier today she tried to convince my roommate to let her outside. She was denied, but that was the first time in weeks that Kitty had shown any interest in the great outdoors.

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:16 am 
WELFARIST!

Aww...bunniee...I hope you get lots of quality time with your kitty and she stays well and with good spirits for as long as possible so you can enjoy her! <3 <3 <3

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:33 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Kitty update: her appetite is still good, and she is more sociable now that she's recovered from the surgery. I try not to leave her alone for very long, in case she suddenly takes a turn for the worse. The only thing that concerns me right now is that she appears to have some weakness in her back legs. This was present before the surgery, and the vet thought Kitty might have arthritis before we got the cancer diagnosis. I don't know if I should call the vet about the limping. Kitty doesn't seem to be in distress and I want to avoid any unnecessary visits to the clinic. She was so upset when I took her in for the post-surgery recheck that she peed all over the carrier. :/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:05 pm 
WRETCHED

I saw your FB update and just wanted to say I'm rooting for the kitty <3

Sendings lots of love to you both.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:26 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

linanil wrote:
I saw your FB update and just wanted to say I'm rooting for the kitty <3

Sendings lots of love to you both.

<3 Thank you. Yesterday Kitty threw up and wouldn't eat most of the day. She ate some food last night but I could tell she still wasn't feeling well because she just wanted to hide and sleep. She refused to eat or drink anything today so I took her to the clinic this evening. She is really constipated so they are going to give her an enema or two and see how she does.

Kitty kept dozing off while we were waiting in the exam room, she is kind of out of it. She is also down a half pound since last week, which probably means the cancer is spreading.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:20 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

Kitty! Give her some foot if needed.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:19 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Kitty is back home after an eventful night. They gave her several enemas which only gave her partial relief and made Kitty grumpy. The vet recommended trying a laxative and stool softener, before they resort to putting her under sedation for more invasive treatment. I really hope the laxatives work because I would hate to put her through another hospital stay.

In the exam room getting weighed. We had to wait quite awhile and she fell asleep. <3

Home again.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:56 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

Kitty is all tuckered out.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:38 am 
WELFARIST!

She is too cute! The scale picture is to die for! <3 <3 <3 I hope she's feeling better.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:34 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Aw, so cute. I hope she is feeling better.

We have a cat at the shelter with arthritis in her hind legs, and we give her glucosamine and it seems to help her a lot. The kind we have is a paste and we just mix in in with her canned food. She also gets constipated sometimes and we use this stuff: http://shop.robbinspetcare.com/phytomucil-1-oz.html along with laxatone and it usually gets things moving in a couple of days.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:05 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Thanks for the tips, RC! Kitty has been sleeping most of the day. I gave her a dose of lactulose this morning but she hasn't pooped yet. The vet suggested giving her Miralax once a day also. I'm trying to get her to eat now. I mixed a little baby food chicken (plain chicken & water, no seasoning) with her regular Wellness canned food, and she was licking the puree but not eating much.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:14 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Kitty still hasn't pooped and is barely eating, so I took her back to the clinic. She is dehydrated and her weight is down a lb since Thursday. They are going to do bloodwork, give her IV fluids, and another enema. The doc thinks it would be too risky to do an enema under sedation right now and said that getting her hydrated would probably be enough to get her going.

The good news is that she was up and moving around, and seemed to feel better this morning except for not being able to poop.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:14 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I use lax'aire to help my kitties out sometimes. It's the only kind that they seem to like and it really helped Chewie get his system going again. I hope kitty feels better soon.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:51 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

The vet prescribed cisapride, which is supposed to help stimulate peristalsis. They also gave me some high fiber canned food to feed Kitty. She isn't crazy about it, so I've been mixing it with Wellness.

Kitty was in the clinic for 12+ hours yesterday but is feeling much perkier today. She is eating and more active & frisky than she's been in weeks. I'm supposed to bring her back later in the week to discuss a long term strategy with the vet on Kitty's pooping issues.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:18 pm 
WELFARIST!

Yay! I brought my cat home from the vet Friday and they gave him a few treatments while there for his kidney/bladder ailment and he's been eating better and has been perkier ever since. He doesn't have cancer though (renal disease), but just to say that it's so nice to see them recover some quality time and enjoy themselves again when they've been unwell! Wishing Kitty the best and plenty more quality time!!!! <3 <3 <3

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:04 pm 
WRETCHED

It looks like bunniee hasn't logged in for a while but I saw on FB that Kitty passed away today. I'm so sorry bunniee.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:14 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

:(

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:45 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Oh, sad news. So sorry bunniee