| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 575 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Migraine Thread
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:00 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

is it wrong I take great joy in knowing I'm not alone? :-\

normally I don't have a migraine with my menses, but this month was 'special'. I'm on day 6 of non-stop migraine and I'm out of meds. YAY!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:16 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

chipmunk - ugh!

dangersquirrel - not at all! i was actually glad after my husband got one because i could tell he didn't get what the big deal was. can you see a doctor? does the pain go away even briefly?

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:57 pm 

a week of and then 3, 3 days in a row. they stop when i take meds but come back the next day

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:38 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hello. I've suffered from chronic daily migraine, too. I had a migraine everyday for 6 months once! I just wanted to add what I've found helpful, in case someone looks here for information. I went through all of the regular meds. They all had weird, unlivable side effects. So eventually, I was left with no help from medication and an order from the doctor to stop taking naproxen, since he felt I was getting rebound headaches.

I'm doing much better now. I rarely get a real migraine, although I still have a lot of "para-migraine" symptoms, like fuzzy head and smaller headaches.

I do herbs now that do help A LOT. I know its the herbs helping because a couple of times now, I took myself off of them and the migraines came back. I take butterbur and Saint Johns Wort. The St. Johns was an accidental discovery. I decided to take it because I was going through a depression, but discovered that it really helps my migraines.

For breakthrough pain, I take a strong cup of coffee (I normally don't drink the stuff, so the caffine has a strong effect on me.) and advil. I don't do this often because I really will get rebounds if I do.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:07 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

blog wrote:
Hello. I've suffered from chronic daily migraine, too. I had a migraine everyday for 6 months once! I just wanted to add what I've found helpful, in case someone looks here for information. I went through all of the regular meds. They all had weird, unlivable side effects. So eventually, I was left with no help from medication and an order from the doctor to stop taking naproxen, since he felt I was getting rebound headaches.

I'm doing much better now. I rarely get a real migraine, although I still have a lot of "para-migraine" symptoms, like fuzzy head and smaller headaches.

I do herbs now that do help A LOT. I know its the herbs helping because a couple of times now, I took myself off of them and the migraines came back. I take butterbur and Saint Johns Wort. The St. Johns was an accidental discovery. I decided to take it because I was going through a depression, but discovered that it really helps my migraines.

For breakthrough pain, I take a strong cup of coffee (I normally don't drink the stuff, so the caffine has a strong effect on me.) and advil. I don't do this often because I really will get rebounds if I do.

Hello blog! So glad to hear your migraines have improved that well on these. I've tried butterbur (which didn't do very much for me) but I haven't tried St Johns Wort (but I will now!). Do you take these as supplements or do you purchase the herbs themselves?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:49 pm 

hi blog! i haven't tried butterbur or st john's wort - i will try them though! glad you're doing better!

i bought some new magnesium pills and started taking them like 4 days ago, so today is day 4 w/o a migraine - i almost got one yesterday but it faded away.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:00 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm on day 3! Such excitement! I'm not sure if it's technically the same migraine, though, because today it's on the right side. I also had stars today for the first time in (recent) memory. So pretty, like fireworks in my house. And I have fork tons of reading to do but cannot manage to think about comprehending school work. It's time I quit dragging my feet on the neuro appointment.

And the heightened smell in a sushi restaurant sounds nightmarish. I think I'm about to embark on a project with someone who wears too much perfume...not sure how to handle that one.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:20 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

bekki wrote:
I'm on day 3! Such excitement! I'm not sure if it's technically the same migraine, though, because today it's on the right side. I also had stars today for the first time in (recent) memory. So pretty, like fireworks in my house. And I have fork tons of reading to do but cannot manage to think about comprehending school work. It's time I quit dragging my feet on the neuro appointment.

And the heightened smell in a sushi restaurant sounds nightmarish. I think I'm about to embark on a project with someone who wears too much perfume...not sure how to handle that one.

I just peed a little! I love thinking of those little floaters as stars! I'm totally going to borrow this going foward. :-D

scent is a major trigger for me, so working with someone who wears a heavy scent would be a death sentence. if it's a trigger for you, let them know. hopefully they can scale it back to save you from the pain.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:21 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

appifanie wrote:
hi blog! i haven't tried butterbur or st john's wort - i will try them though! glad you're doing better!

i bought some new magnesium pills and started taking them like 4 days ago, so today is day 4 w/o a migraine - i almost got one yesterday but it faded away.

that's awesome appifanie! what magnesium pills are you taking?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:49 pm 

it's just an otc (sundown i think) 250mg but I did get a migraine today, but my period is about 5 days out and i switched to open windows from a/c so that may have done it (i love to be freezing)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:07 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Day 3. Meds not working and it's actually worse today than yesterday, when I was at least semi-functioning. Construction workers at work right outside my building. And I have a cough. Coughs and migraines do not mix.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:43 pm 

oh no they don't - all that head throbbing? i'm so sorry. i hope you feel better soon :(

i forgot to mention - in addition to requitting peanut butter (which gives me a migraine) I cut out chocolate.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:30 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Just sprayed some Migranol in my nose for the first time. Is it gonna work? Who knows!! Why am I looking at a screen right now? I don't know!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:40 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

appifanie wrote:
oh no they don't - all that head throbbing? i'm so sorry. i hope you feel better soon :(

i forgot to mention - in addition to requitting peanut butter (which gives me a migraine) I cut out chocolate.

No fun! Appifanie, are you still doing xgfx? Did it do anything for your migraines (and anyone else who has gone the xgfx route, please answer, too!)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:41 pm 

Migraine liveblogging: Head still hurts, also I think the Migranol is going to make me throw up.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:45 pm 

My doctor seemed to think that because two triptans didn't work for me we should focus on non-triptans, but there are lots of triptans right? Ugggggh she said she would consult a neurologist if the Migranol didn't work...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:55 pm 

bekki wrote:
appifanie wrote:

No fun! Appifanie, are you still doing xgfx? Did it do anything for your migraines (and anyone else who has gone the xgfx route, please answer, too!)

To answer this...I am xgfx for stomach reasons, and it did not change anything about my migraines.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:44 pm 

My migraine is gone! I didn't throw up though that wave of nausea was super intense and I still feel kind of nauseated! And apparently it is actually spelled Migranal. So, sweet.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:34 pm 

srock i'm glad you made it through! and yeah, there are tons of triptans. i am on zomig now but relpax works for me too. i think a neurologist is a good idea

here's a good triptan list - http://www.headaches.org/press/NHF_Pres ... t_Triptans

bekki i relapsed into gluten land and i think sometimes gluten affects my migraines, but mostly it doesn't matter so much. the gluten free ness is mostly for what i think is ibs. gluten does make my head feel foggy sometimes though.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:10 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Apologies if this has been mentioned but Badger Balm's "Headache Soother" has been essential in leading my impending migraines straight off a cliff: http://www.badgerbalm.com/p-436-headache-soother.aspx

Sadly it does contain beeswax in the ingredients. As someone who's had migraines for 11 years now, I have found any sort of balm or aromatherapy does help. Any vegan alternatives?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:33 am 

punky i've never heard of that and will totally try it - it's not vegan but it's more vegan than my migraine meds i'm sure. head on is vegan but lately it just makes my skin feel slightly burn-y and i have some essential oils but they only sometimes kind of work.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:28 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

the headache soother looks wonderful! i need to try that.

i'm in a pretty good place migraine wise right now, but when it hits it hits HARD, for several days at least once a month. i'm taking sumatriptan, which works okay if i take it early enough. my doc told me to take 2 ibuprofen when i get a headache, if that doesn't work, i am supposed to take 2 codeine. i get migraines from regular headaches, so first step is to get avoid letting a headache linger for too long. but if i get a migraine, i take a sumatriptan and something against nausea, as i get really dizzy and feel sick when i take the sumatriptan.
i would like to experiment with the triptans to see if something else is better, but as the sumatriptans are around 1 USD per pill and everything else is between 10-20 USD per pill, i am sticking to the sumatriptans for now.

i get horrible headaches (which leads to migraines) whenever i don't drink AT LEAST 8 cups of water a day - most days I have to drink 12-16 cups of water to not feel like i am dehydrated and trigger a migraine. am I the only one who has this issue?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:30 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

oh, and i've already missed around 20% of my classes since august because of migraines. which means i have to fight to not get thrown out of school, which is silly because MIGRAINES ARE NOT MY FAULT and also i am an excellent student with an average ABOVE the highest grade. i mean, clearly i'm doing fine, even when missing 20% of my classes..

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:20 pm 

smoothie i'm so sorry it's interfering w/ your life so much :( the best days i've had lately are when i drink a LOT - i'm finishing up glasses 9 and 10 now. alas.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:19 am 

:(
Everything is the worst.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 575 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 23  Next