| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2012 Theme Announcements & Ideas
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:03 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Hi! Anyone care to share their official (or evolving, or unofficial, or tentative, or whatever!) theme ideas for 2012? Feel free to share ideas you'd *love* to see someone else do, too.

Warning: the organizers may include these ideas in a MoFo post...so feel free to share your blog if you want, to! <3

Post subject: Re: 2012 Theme Announcements & Ideas
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:55 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

I wanted to do rice and beans, but I don't think I have time or enough organization to be that specific, so I think I'll open it up to beans/legumes in general.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:05 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I will do a theme for each day of the week. I have not specified the order but it will be these 6 (and Sundays being weekly recaps and links to other awesome blogs from the week): Chili peppers (I've grown my own this year and will do fun stuff with them) , Lingonberry jam (the swedish national jam, inofficially), New food (ingredients i havn't tried before), Family Friday (food inspired by family members, i've already been doing this on my blog from time to time), scones (on saturday mornings) and a personal "Chopped"-challenge between me and my boyfried where we take turns to give each other the mystery ingredients. So, a lot of themes.

I would like to see:
- someone doing a budget challenge and blogging about it (eg eating for under 100 dollars during October or something similar)
- historical food
- being vegan on antarctica
- cajun cooking
- alaskan cooking
- a month of burgers

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:06 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I'm doing 30 days of Tofu Cookery

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:36 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

pannkakan, all of your daily themes sound great! I'm going to be planting chillies in October so I'm looking forward to reading about yours.

And lobsteriffic, I've heard so much about Tofu Cookery and I'm really looking forward to you convincing me that I need a copy!

I'm going with a Frocktober theme- each day I'll be wearing something from my mostly-vintage dress collection and cooking something inspired by the dress, whether it's by the print and colours or a memory of where/when I bought it. I'm also hoping to do weekly giveaway posts, and there'll be a few days when I'm out of town for a wedding so they might be travel-related posts.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:55 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

My theme is "fall meals". I'm going through my cookbooks to find recipes that use fall ingredients or are appropriate for cool weather and then each day I will show a different course. I expect I'll be using lots of pumpkin, pear, ginger, apples, and cinnamon. The Vegan Table and Vegan Desserts are both organized by season, so hopefully I'll find some inspiration there.

Mon - breakfast
Tues - salad
Wed - soup
Thurs - main course
Fri - drinks + snack/appetizer
Sat - dessert
Sun - some vegan-related activity I did or a restaurant review

Hopefully it will not be a boring theme!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:57 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

You know how just about every day has some bizarre food holiday associated with it? I'm doing those, only vegan. Using this list:

http://www.tfdutch.com/foodh.htm (the links are mostly broken, but you can google each of the days)

It'll either be tons of fun or a total disaster, but it's my first time participating in MoFo (and my first time blogging), so I'm going for it! National Bologna Day? National Chocolate-Covered Insect Day? You betcha!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:41 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I am liking the day-of-the-week-trend this year. I'm totally on board with it. My tentative plan is for for 5-themed posting days, with one being specifically for the weekend. That one will be cocktail/cocktail snack-themed.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:50 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I am doing a theme based around all the ingredients I have bought/requested in a swap for a reason and never yet used. There'll be a different ingredient every day. If I dont have quite enough (fairly sure I do), I'll supplement it with cooking from a cookbook I have never used, so same idea.

The one thing I want to see more than anything is Eastern European food.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:30 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I'm going to focus on food for my kids: stuff to make omni children fall for vegan food I hope... Or at least eat!

I'd love to see other people do this too- I could use some inspiration! I'd also love to see some Japanese cooking, Mexican and Spanish.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:54 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Cgvegan wrote:
I'm going to focus on food for my kids: stuff to make omni children fall for vegan food I hope... Or at least eat!

I'd love to see other people do this too- I could use some inspiration! I'd also love to see some Japanese cooking, Mexican and Spanish.

I'm loosely going to be doing cooking for kids. Specifically, an almost 4 year old, who is just getting past sensory issues and deciding that food is in fact, awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:15 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Bolivian food! It should be fun. Which reminds me, I need to figure out how to purchase the Vegg for that purpose. Where do you get it? (Local? If so, Boston folks, help me out!)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:52 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I just came here to say I think I'm going to try to do a day of the week based theme as well. Even though that seems to be a common thread, I'm sticking to it. Right now I just have a few of the days down:

Frozen Fridays (ice cream!) and Tofu Tuesdays. I'm also thinking maybe Wine-y Wednesday and Seitanic Sunday!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:13 am 
Saggy Butt

I’m doing a Canadian theme. The plan is to post traditional Canadian recipes, review or talk about Canadian products and hopefully get some faq’s in with some Canadian vegan companies.

I like to see someone have a theme based on all those weird ingredients we buy and then forget why we bought them. I still have a can of black soybeans hiding in the back of my pantry and for some reason I bought coconut vinegar.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:20 am 
Saggy Butt

A breakfast/brunch theme would also be awesome.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:22 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I must say, in general I love those going for it with really narrow themes, such as eating one thing the whole month (eg muffins, pancakes, potatoes etc). It's fun to read but I would never do it myself.

I also hope for a third year of vegan gravy from tofu and sprouts.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:06 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

zensquiggle wrote:
You know how just about every day has some bizarre food holiday associated with it? I'm doing those, only vegan. Using this list:

http://www.tfdutch.com/foodh.htm (the links are mostly broken, but you can google each of the days)

It'll either be tons of fun or a total disaster, but it's my first time participating in MoFo (and my first time blogging), so I'm going for it! National Bologna Day? National Chocolate-Covered Insect Day? You betcha!

What's your blog? I like this idea a lot and want to follow you.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:57 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Maggie Muggins wrote:
I’m doing a Canadian theme. The plan is to post traditional Canadian recipes, review or talk about Canadian products and hopefully get some faq’s in with some Canadian vegan companies.

I'm so pumped for this!!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:00 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

A good chunk of my focus is going to be on vegan + cycling. I do a lot of touring/racing and it's taken me awhile to get the nutrition down.

Also, I'm toying with the idea of eating something pumpkin every single day of October. Maybe. Hahaha.

Of Capsicums & Things."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:08 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

pandacookie wrote:
zensquiggle wrote:

What's your blog? I like this idea a lot and want to follow you.

YES. I love this idea!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:31 pm 
Tofu Pup

I'm doing a theme based on all of the omni recipes/cookbooks/periodicals/websites that inspire me, and adapting them to be xgfx. I may also adapt some gluten-containing vegan recipes to be xgfx, such as my gluten free chickpea cutlets that I made for last year's MoFo.

I suspect there will be a lot of baked goods, breakfast and comfort foods.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:12 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Maggie Muggins wrote:

I like to see someone have a theme based on all those weird ingredients we buy and then forget why we bought them. I still have a can of black soybeans hiding in the back of my pantry and for some reason I bought coconut vinegar.

Last year I did 30 recipes from the Laura Secord Canadian Cookbook, good one on you!

This year I'm thinking either a fruit or grains theme. I can't decide :(

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:47 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Kelly wrote:
Cgvegan wrote:

I'm loosely going to be doing cooking for kids. Specifically, an almost 4 year old, who is just getting past sensory issues and deciding that food is in fact, awesome.

Great! I'm going to subscribe and steal all your ideas! Mine are 7,5 and very nearly 2...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:42 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Maggie Muggins wrote:

That's exactly my theme, though of course my ingredients may not be the same as yours.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:14 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

xanthia wrote:
Last year I did 30 recipes from the Laura Secord Canadian Cookbook, good one on you!

I have the Laura Secord Canadian Cookbook. Geez, that book is older than I am, and I'm pretty old! It used to belong to my mother. Do you have a link to those recipes?

Canada is such a melting pot that I don't really think we have much that is uniquely ours. I've lived here all my life and I don't consider very many things 'Canadian' (outside of certain game dishes, ie. caribou) when it comes to food. I've often thought it would be fascinating to go right back to the country's beginning and what was eaten by the settlers and build on that. Of course, that's probably where our heavy British influences came from. We never see much about the dishes of our different Native groups either.