| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 592 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Chloe's Kitchen
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:26 pm 
Tofu Pup

Love this book. So far, the hits are the Caesar Salad (the best Caesar by far!) The Drive-Thru Burgers were awesome... I fried them a long time to get the right consistency. I would never serve without the special sauce... love that sauce. I made the Avocado Pesto Pasta from her blog... love it! I also made her mac and cheese from her blog... different from her recipe book which calls for agave. The Ooh-La-La Lasagna is great. I think next time I will just use jar sauce since I didn't think it was special. But the garden ricotta filling was great! I also loved her MeatLoaf and Cranberry Sauce. The Golden Gravy didn't turn out... too floury tasting... and too much thyme.

I thought the Chipotle Chop Salad with Agave-Lime Vinaigrette was very average.

I have been making a version of Avocado Toast since I was a young pup so this wasn't earth shattering. Very happy with this book. I hope she continues on and gets her own show.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:45 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I made the drive though burgers last week, they were a hit! I fried mine for a long time too, but I always do that for unbaked burgers. Boyfriend loved them and ate one double burger, one single burger and a side of curly fries for dinner (an impressive effort!). The special sauce totally makes these.

I also made the Mongolian BBQ seitan last night since I had all the ingredients. Totally inauthentic, but still enjoyable. I can see this being one of those recipes I'll make pretty often to use up whatever veggies I've got in the fridge, since I think it would work well with a lot of different things.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:07 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

VeganNewbie wrote:
I thought the Chipotle Chop Salad with Agave-Lime Vinaigrette was very average.

I loooove this recipe. Actually, now that you mention it, I'm craving it for lunch, but I add extra quinoa when I make it, more than whatever quantity she calls for. I think I've made that salad and the cashew drunken shittake broth soup more than any others from this book, but I've really enjoyed everything thus far and it's all pretty easy, too.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:31 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I made a half-batch of the Best-Ever Mac & Cheese for lunch today and I'm happy with it.
I used almost the full amount of breadcrumbs since I still used a large cast iron to bake in.
Chloe recommends that you adjust the sauce to taste before adding the lemon juice and agave, but they really do add something nice.
The only changes I made were adding a bit of paprika & cayenne to the sauce and using a bit of spray oil on top of the breadcrumbs. My verdict is that it's a really earth balancey good mac & cheese.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:31 pm 
Tofu Pup

Yes, I like the mac and cheese too. Just made the Barley Casserole the other day and I really liked it. I can also see adjusting the recipe with other veggies (or adding veggie sausage) and you can have an endless source of dinner ideas.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:23 pm 
Chard Martyr

jdfunks wrote:
I made a half-batch of the Best-Ever Mac & Cheese for lunch today and I'm happy with it.
I used almost the full amount of breadcrumbs since I still used a large cast iron to bake in.
Chloe recommends that you adjust the sauce to taste before adding the lemon juice and agave, but they really do add something nice.
The only changes I made were adding a bit of paprika & cayenne to the sauce and using a bit of spray oil on top of the breadcrumbs. My verdict is that it's a really earth balancey good mac & cheese.

BUT WAS IT THE BEST EVER? Because you know we talked about this.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:59 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

My favorite recipes from this so far are the Mongolian BBQ seitan and avocado salsa stuffed potato skins. YUM. I've also made the mac 'n cheese (good for a simple recipe, not the "best ever" and I don't add agave), stuffed shells in arriabbiata sauce, drive thru burgers (good but taste like fried lentil loaf), miso-glazed eggplant, and the thyme scalloped potatoes. The potatoes had a nice texture, but I personally prefer mine to have a cheddar/cheesier flavor. That said, I appreciate the simple ingredients, because those alone are pretty dang good still. No bad recipes here.

I'm amazed I haven't made the jalapeno cornbread poppers with whipped maple butter yet. I'm also eyeing the mango masala panini, fettuccine alfredo, iced apple cake squares, and sweet potato gnocchi with sage butter. The barley bliss casserole also looks kinda nice for a cold day.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:22 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The barley casserole did not work for me. I followed the instructions completely. I'm wondering if it's because I cooked in a stone casserole dish instead of glass? It was still like a pool of liquid when it was supposed to be done. I cooked it way longer than it called for and it still never really ended up soft and creamy. Just kind of wet and barely cooked.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:02 pm 
Tofu Pup

creep wrote:
The barley casserole did not work for me. I followed the instructions completely. I'm wondering if it's because I cooked in a stone casserole dish instead of glass? It was still like a pool of liquid when it was supposed to be done. I cooked it way longer than it called for and it still never really ended up soft and creamy. Just kind of wet and barely cooked.

Not sure... I used glass and I had to end the cooking time a couple of minutes early. It is surprising since when I put it in the oven, the dish was completely filled with liquid (as she suggests in the recipe). Have you tested your oven for temp? Also, I wonder if stone takes longer to heat up? I looked on line and everyone seems to say that glass conducts heat very well. I didn't find much on stone dishes...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:44 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

VeganNewbie wrote:
creep wrote:

Not sure... I used glass and I had to end the cooking time a couple of minutes early. It is surprising since when I put it in the oven, the dish was completely filled with liquid (as she suggests in the recipe). Have you tested your oven for temp? Also, I wonder if stone takes longer to heat up? I looked on line and everyone seems to say that glass conducts heat very well. I didn't find much on stone dishes...

Yeah, I have an oven thermometer and my baked goods always come out awesome. I pretty much never have well-written recipes turn out badly, so I guess it's probably the stoneware if it came out okay for someone else.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:58 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I made the espresso cinnamon cookies. They're not bad but for the amount of fat and sugar in them I wanted them to be yummier! I'll have to make more things this week.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:38 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I made the Ooh La La Lasagna last night for my 20th anniversary dinner. It was really, really good.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:20 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I made the garlic bread last night! My favourite is still the roasted garlic bread I bake from scratch, but that's super labour-intensive and this only takes a few minutes so it has its upside for sure. It was really good for something I was able to throw together in that amount of time, and it reminded me of the garlic bread they make at this chain pasta restaurant back home.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:36 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

You do realise now, Erinnerung, you must PM me and tell me the recipe for this roasted garlic bread from scratch. Thanks :D

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:40 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Yes, Erinnerung, your roasted garlic bread sounds delish!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:03 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I blogged about it ages ago, here! I haven't made it in a while either, I need to get on that!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:26 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Man, that sounds so yum. I'll be making with my next Italian feast! Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:20 pm 
Tofu Pup

So far everything I have tried came out well. Glad I bought it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:19 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Wow this book really jumped in price in Canada.
Im not ordering anything really new (minus my pre-orders) but I am kinda bummed out that I don't have this one. I pre-ordered her cookie book along with Allyson's Great Gluten Free Global Eats book. I think by January should the price drop again (and I do some Library cooking from it) I'll add it to my January order list

(where I intend to get several of Robin Robertson's books as well).

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:42 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Book Depository! Seriously, it's the best thing in the world and everything is always cheap. I go there almost every pay day to order something new. I sometimes feel kind of bad for not supporting actual bookstores or whatever, but it's their own fault for sucking so much and never stocking anything I want. And the mark-up on books in Australia is beyond ridiculous.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:16 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Erinnerung - :) I checked there too - it's almost 18.00. It's so weird that it went from 15.50 to almost 18.00 in a few months. Sooo weird.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:36 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Even though there are many tempting recipes to make for myself, I want to try making the dog treats for our dogs. It calls for blackstrap molasses, but do you think I can get away with using regular? It only calls for 1 tablespoon.

boychucker.blogspot.com
twitter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:39 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Okay, Amazon dropped the price on this, so I got it.
(& three other books)

I have a problem.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:43 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Erinnerung wrote:
Book Depository! Seriously, it's the best thing in the world and everything is always cheap. I go there almost every pay day to order something new. I sometimes feel kind of bad for not supporting actual bookstores or whatever, but it's their own fault for sucking so much and never stocking anything I want. And the mark-up on books in Australia is beyond ridiculous.

Me too! I almost wish I hadn't discovered The Book Depository as it's too easy to justify purchasing a cookbook every pay-day when they're so affordable. :-)

I've had Chloe's Kitchen but I haven't cooked anything from it yet; I'll have to rectify that this week.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:59 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

Yeah, I think we forget how good the Australian dollar is right now too. It's just so much cheaper and more convenient to buy everything online. Even last night I just bought loads of energy bars off www.iherb.com, shipping is only $4! And while I do like to make homemade bars, it's handy to have a bunch of bars around if they work out to be only a buck or two each.

boychucker wrote:
Even though there are many tempting recipes to make for myself, I want to try making the dog treats for our dogs. It calls for blackstrap molasses, but do you think I can get away with using regular? It only calls for 1 tablespoon.

I'm sure you could do it, the blackstrap would just add extra nutrients.

Reply to topic  [ 592 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 24  Next