| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I'm coming to Austin!!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:11 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Me & Nick (Mr Jojo!) are coming to Austin for 12 day on September 21st! We're super excited, Austin's been on my must visit list for ages and reading this thread & LazySmurf's blog has been getting me all excited!

We really want to eat at The Vegan Yacht, Arlo's, Counter Culture, Cheer Up Charlies, Capital City bakery, Red Rabbit Co-op (for doughnuts!) Mr Natural & Toy Joy. We have plans to go & see college football one night and fancy football in Houston another night and we wanna go tubing, catch a movie or two at The Alamo, check out the Hope farmers market and swim in some swimming holes...swimming holes sound amazingly cool to someone coming from a country where you can hardly ever swim outside because of the cold!

Food wise is there anywhere amazing we've missed off that list? We like diner style food and I like healthy/raw food on occasion.

We'd also like to catch some live bands, can anyone recommend where to go to see some punk bands? I saw that Cheer Up Charlie's does a ska/punk night, does anyone know when that's on or how to find out? We don't have facebook so we cant check the listings on there!

We also like to shop for books and second hand CD's, I've heard Monkey Wrench books is great. Is there anywhere else we absolutely must go?

Also, where would you go running in Austin? I (foolishly!) signed up to take part in a charity relay race less than a week after we get back having never really run before so I'm going to have to do some running whilst we're there. The hotel has a gym but running somewhere pretty and outdoorsy would probably be more fun. We're staying Downtown if that helps with your recommendations!

We'd love to meet up with some of you guys whilst we're there, would anyone be up for hanging out at the Hope farmers market on Sunday 23rd? I heard there's a food truck there with vegan ice cream sandwiches! If that's not good for people maybe dinner at one of the food trucks one weekday evening would be better?

Post subject: Re: I'm coming to Austin!!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:29 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

PPK Meet-up!!!!!!! Hope farmer's market works great for me cause it's on Sunday, that is the best place to get Red Rabbit Doughnuts too since that is where they have their specialty flavors.

You need to add Bouldin Creek to your list, they have the best noochy tofu scramble in the world. I would also say breakfast tacos at Whole Foods, it is right across the street from Waterloo Records and Cheepo is down the street and they are both great places to go music shopping. Sweet Ritual has awesome vegan sundae's so you might want to go there instead of Toy Joy except Toy Joy is really fun so you might want to do both. And Wheatsville Co-op!!! You have to go there no matter what, popcorn tofu po'boy and all sorts of other things must be tried.

You should definitely run the Town Lake Path. Here is a thread where we talk about that and here is my Vegan Tour of Austinwhich will totally help you if you are staying downtown cause there are maps.

I think Cheer Ups has a tumblr site that they update with shows but also check the Austin Chroniclefor what exactly is going on when you are here.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:03 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Cheer Up Charlie's just lost their sound permit and can't do outside shows anymore, so I'd look for another music venue for punk music. But I'm no help there!

I'm sure you've already mapped this, but in case you haven't, Houston is a 3 hour drive from Austin.

For raw food, there's the raw bar at Whole Foods, Daily Juice (shares space with Sweet Ritual), and Beets, which is the only sit down option. Counter Culture also has some raw offerings, including really good cheesecake.

For books, Book People is the best bookstore in town (next door to Whole Foods). Monkey Wrench specializes in anarchist, DIY, zines, and things like that. It's also around the corner from the Vegan Nom, a taco food cart. And near Monkey Wrench, there's Half Price books, which is a regional used book/media seller. When you're in the Cheer Up Charlie's part of town, there's an eclectic bookstore called Domy. They have a lot of design-oriented books. And if you're in the South Congress area (near Guero's, which has Food for Lovers queso), there's South Congress Books, which has a really curated selection of used and new books. They're more expensive than most used book stores, but it's fun to poke around.

A meet up at the Hope market sounds great!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:05 am 

Awesome, I'm excited that the Hope farmers market works for you guys.

LazySmurf I've added Wheatsville Co-Op & Bouldin Creek to my list, noochy scramble is my favourite. I'll be checking out those record stores too and I think we'll probably have to visit Toy Joy and Sweet Ritual, I can't possibly skip somewhere as fun as Toy Joy or vegan sundae's!

Thanks for the running rec too, Town Lake Path sounds perfect.

mollyjade thanks for the bookstore & raw food rec's, good to know about the Counter Culture cheesecake! We have indeed mapped out the drive to Houston, we're going to stay near there the night before the football game & go to a drive in movie to make the trip more worthwhile!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:57 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Yay! Austin is a great place. You're going to have tons of fun and eat some amazing vegan food. And I'm super happy you've heard about Red Rabbit donuts and want to try some! Unfortunately, I can't say 100% that we'll be at HOPE on the 23rd. One of the owners of the co-op is going on holiday out of the country at that time and since there's only 6 (!!) of us, having one less person makes quite a difference and we may have to cut down to 1 farmer's market a weekend while she's away. We will though, definitely be at the SFC farmer's market downtown (on Guadalupe, between 4th and 5th) on Saturday the 22nd. But none the less, check out HOPE if you can. It's a great little market with some amazing people/vendors. :)

https://www.facebook.com/redrabbitbakery

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:16 am 
Baking In The Flavor

Nothing really to add that hasn't been said, but you've picked a great time of the year to visit Austin! Hope you have a fun trip! :)

Rabbit Food Grocery will have a couple of Pop-Up Shops during your stay, which might be fun to check out. There's a pretty comprehensive calendar of vegan events on the Red Hot Vegans page if y'all want to meet up with locals (other than the PPK, of course!).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:52 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

The 21st, Vegan Drinks is hosting an ice cream party at Sweet Ritual (the vegan ice cream parlor) and I'll be there selling Red Rabbit donuts!! Meet tons of vegans and eat the best vegan ice cream/cookie dough (celeste from Celeste's best will be there too) and donuts! Just think of it as your welcoming party to Austin :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:11 am 

NakedVeganLunch wrote:
Unfortunately, I can't say 100% that we'll be at HOPE on the 23rd.....but none the less, check out HOPE if you can. It's a great little market with some amazing people/vendors. :)

Do you know if you'll be at HOPE on Sunday yet? If not no worries we'll definitely hunt down the doughnuts somewhere else!

LazySmurf & mollyjade are you still up for meeting up at the market even without the possible lure of doughnuts?!

Thanks for the Red Hot Vegans link jessica, fondue night at Counter Culture sounds super tempting! I'm glad we've picked a good time, it's looking like it's cooling down a little!

NVL thanks for the ice cream party tip off, unfortunately we don't land until around 7:30pm tomorrow evening so I don't think we'll make it. We'll definitely be checking out Sweet Ritual another time though!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:46 am 

I'm still down to meet up but if their is no doughnuts we should go somewhere more fun, like Counter Culture Brunch or Cap City Bakery. Whenever works for Molly will probably work for me.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:23 pm 

LazySmurf wrote:
I'm still down to meet up but if their is no doughnuts we should go somewhere more fun, like Counter Culture Brunch or Cap City Bakery. Whenever works for Molly will probably work for me.

Either of those places would be awesome! I'm super excited about visiting both of them, what's best/funnest for you guys?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:42 pm 

Did you see Red Rabbit is going to have a Root Beer doughnut this weekend! When do you get in? There is a meet up tomorrow night at Sweet Ritual with make your own sundaes with doughnuts and brownies from cap city at 7.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:54 pm 

Oh and there is also this at Counter Culture http://www.facebook.com/events/102170246606529/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:50 pm 

Root beer doughnut??! I <3 root beer!

Unfortunately we don't land 'til around 7:30 tomorrow so we won't be able to make the ice cream thing, it does sound awesome though! What's the other thing you linked to, the one at Counter Culture? I don't have Facebook so I can't see it!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:59 pm 

Quote:
5 hours worth of bands doing 3 to 4 songs each about
Cats & Dogs (think Walkin the Dog, Leave My Kitten Alone, I Wanna Be Your Dog, Cool For Cats, Puppy Love, etc.)

15% of the food and drink sales will go directly to
Austin Pets Alive
No cover to attend

Bands confirmed-
The Sons of Hercules (rock n roll)
JWW & The Prospectors (country swing)
The Charles Edward Cheese Band (new wave)
Hot Club de Blue Room (gypsy jazz)
The Saddle (dark country)
The Gory Details
Jesse Jay Harris
And more TBA

Hosted By Ms. Laurie Gallardo (KUT)
Beer by Hops and Grain
And more TBA

It's Saturday 4:00pm until 9:00pm
No punk but maybe fun! All dog and cat themed music. I really want to go.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:13 pm 

Capital City is having half-price coffee and cinnamon rolls on Saturday. I think, HOPE > Counter Culture > Cap City. Unless you'll have time to go to Cap City twice. Last time I did cinnamon rolls at Cap City, that's all they were serving at the time to streamline things, and you should get to try cookies or cupcakes there.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:40 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

jojo wrote:
NakedVeganLunch wrote:
Unfortunately, I can't say 100% that we'll be at HOPE on the 23rd.....but none the less, check out HOPE if you can. It's a great little market with some amazing people/vendors. :)

Do you know if you'll be at HOPE on Sunday yet? If not no worries we'll definitely hunt down the doughnuts somewhere else!

Unfortunately, we will not be at HOPE this weekend. We'll be at the downtown farmer's market on Saturday morning 10 - 1 which is on Guadalupe between 4th and 5th. We'll have our root beer donuts there as well! Along with about twelve other flavors :) Sorry you'll miss us tonight at the ice cream party. It goes til 9!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:02 pm 

So Counter Culture, everyone?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:22 pm 

mollyjade wrote:

I am going to go for sure and I would love to go with all of you instead of just me and my dog!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:38 pm 

LazySmurf wrote:
mollyjade wrote:

I am going to go for sure and I would love to go with all of you instead of just me and my dog!

Jojo, let us know what works for you.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:41 pm 

Oh also you might be interested in Museum Day this Sunday. They are all free!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:53 pm 

mollyjade wrote:
LazySmurf wrote:
mollyjade wrote:

Jojo, let us know what works for you.

We're here!! I'm so tired! My body thinks it's 5am so we're eating Hoboken Pie pizza in bed at the hotel!

Counter Culture sounds great! I don't think we can make the awesome sounding Cat & Dog themed thing tomorrow (we're seeing a football game at 6) but I'm still up for Sunday. Are you guys sure you don't mind going two days in a row if you're gonna be going tomorrow?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:32 am 

I'm happy to go Sunday. 11 AM-3 PM is the brunch menu, and after that is the regular menu.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:35 am 

mollyjade wrote:
I'm happy to go Sunday. 11 AM-3 PM is the brunch menu, and after that is the regular menu.

Nick just told me he wants to watch the 49ers play at 12 tomorrow so if 4 or later is good for you guys it'd be perfect for us. If not I'll leave him to watch football somewhere & come to brunch with you guys!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:36 pm 

Any time tomorrow works for me!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:11 pm 

Anytime after 4:00's good with us, what d'u think mollyjade?