| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123 ... 210  Next
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:59 am 
So Totally Yiffy

gwenc02 wrote:
I'm in the middle of reading Joseph Anton by Salman Rushdie right now. The way it's going is that I'm blowing through a chapter because it's so amazingly good and then going back and reading that same chapter more slowly to enjoy it. Love, love, loving it so far.

Sounds like this book is a must read. Thanks for your comment, Gwen - now there's no way around it. Just a few days ago there was a live chat on Goodreads with Rushdie, mainly about Joseph Anton, or rather ... the whole Satanic Verses repercussions. I watched it a few hours later. If anyone's interested: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/video_chat/51. He is one of my favourite authors, and he seems to be such a pleasant, good-natured and modest person.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:42 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I'm trying to follow along with my niece's required reading, because I'm nosy and also so we can discuss it. I just started Esperanza Rising about half an hour ago. I know I will love it but I already almost cried. ¡Pinche Tio Luis!

boychucker.blogspot.com
twitter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:17 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I've got a few books going at the moment: The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch by Philip K. Dick, The Tiger's Wife by Tea Obreht, A Hundred Flowers by Gail Tsukiyama, and What's Left of Me by Kat Zhang. The first three are all excellent so far. The last is really stupid teen fic, but I have a weird compulsion to finish every book I start, so I'm going to keep reading.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:50 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

The Perks of Being a Wallflower - friend sent it to me - said it is his fave book this year.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:31 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

planteatingathlete wrote:
I had to try to read the first book 3 times before I decided just to power through and keep with it. Now I'm glad I did as I am about halfway done with the fourth and final book.

Aren't there five published books? I'm on book 3, and I was thinking I still had two more to go after it! ...at least until he writes/publishes the rest.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:22 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I love Kindles free top 100. I got Rebooting My Brain: How a Freak Aneurysm Reframed My Life, by Maria Ross, and really like it so far.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:45 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

creep wrote:
planteatingathlete wrote:
I had to try to read the first book 3 times before I decided just to power through and keep with it. Now I'm glad I did as I am about halfway done with the fourth and final book.

Aren't there five published books? I'm on book 3, and I was thinking I still had two more to go after it! ...at least until he writes/publishes the rest.

Yes you are correct on both counts. I love the series and nerd out with one of my coworkers about it all the time. He tells me all the conspiracy theories among the Martin nerds.

I just finished the His Dark Materials series, which I loved. Now I have a bunch of books I had on hold that all decided to come in at the same time. So I'm deciding between Born to Run and NW by Zadie Smith. I'll probably read Born to Run first since Smith books take me a long time to get into and enjoy.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:00 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I just finished Dave Eggers' A Hologram for the King. I found it pretty hard to get into, and I wasn't really that keen on it until I was right near the end and it kind of clicked with me. Really different to his usual stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:52 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

missmuffcake wrote:
I finally finished "How To Be A Women"....oh god out of the whole book I thought 2 chapters were OK and that is it. Maybe I think there are bigger issues facing women right now (with all the republican-rape-abortion stuff) going on to really care about this women's bland opinion. I hate women who tell other women that they cannot get plastic surgery,dye their hair be strippers or what have you in the sake of being a feminist. Women did not fight for the next generation just to have other women tell us what is proper or not.

I'll add to the choir of not being entertained/engaged by this at all. The style didn't gel with me.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:12 pm 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Just started "Collapse" by Jared Diamond. I like his style.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:58 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

missmuffcake wrote:
The Perks of Being a Wallflower - friend sent it to me - said it is his fave book this year.

I read it a couple of months back because I heard the movie is coming out and so many friends have raved about the book but I didn't love it

Catalina wrote:
I just started The Amber Spyglass, the last of the His Dark Materials series. I've really enjoyed them. Not my favorite fantasy but I can't seem to put them down for long.

I liked that series, it was one of the series that got me back into YA a few years ago

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:22 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Anek wrote:
Just started "Collapse" by Jared Diamond. I like his style.

I love Collapse.

You might also look into Dirt: Erosion of Civilization. I forget the author, but it's very interesting and a pretty good companion read. It's about, um, dirt!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:37 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Thanks, I will! I loved the Germs Guns and Steel one, so I have high expectations for this one.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:38 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The Long Earth - Terry Pratchett /Stephen Baxter.
Radically different SF. Still making up my mind.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:35 am 

Kitteh wrote:
missmuffcake wrote:

I read it a couple of months back because I heard the movie is coming out and so many friends have raved about the book but I didn't love it

I am feeling the same way and doubt I will go see the movie (directed by the person who did Juno - I really did not like that movie)....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:05 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

missmuffcake wrote:
Kitteh wrote:
missmuffcake wrote:

I am feeling the same way and doubt I will go see the movie (directed by the person who did Juno - I really did not like that movie)....

I disliked Juno, too, thanks for the warning about the Perks movie ;)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:08 pm 
Like Anal, But Backwards

Not the same director as Juno, the same producer. The guy that wrote Perks is directing it.

Really annoyed at them casting Emma Watson as Sam.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:30 pm 

Pi_Face wrote:
Not the same director as Juno, the same producer. The guy that wrote Perks is directing it.

Oopppsss! I only saw the "Juno" part briefly...

I am in the middle of the book and it takes the typical teen 80s movie formula and strips it down and then tries way to hard to give us quirky characters...How many loner kid gets in with a cool crowed books/movies do we need? At least if someone does another version gives us something different, not white kids from the suburbs...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:56 am 

So I finished 'The Perks' and I just did not like Charlie...for such a smart 'special' kid he sounded stupid. The epilogue was interesting and I thought if the book was written from the hospital stay forward it would have been easier to like Charlie. I wonder how the actor who plays Charlie will handle crying every five minutes...Will there be a drinking game? My boyfriend said to read Catcher in the Rye now...it is not on Kindle so I will find a copy...However I need a break from annoying characters.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:05 pm 

Sass wrote:
I've got a few books going at the moment: The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch by Philip K. Dick, The Tiger's Wife by Tea Obreht, A Hundred Flowers by Gail Tsukiyama, and What's Left of Me by Kat Zhang. The first three are all excellent so far. The last is really stupid teen fic, but I have a weird compulsion to finish every book I start, so I'm going to keep reading.

Interested to hear how you're liking Gail Tsukiyama's book. I haven't read her for a while, but I had one of her books assigned in college and then went out and read like 3 others (though I can't remember the titles). Silk Road? Just looked it up. Women of Silk, Samurai's Garden and an Night of Many Dreams. I can't remember if I read The Language of Threads or not and that makes me sad. I remember loving Pei.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:17 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I am reading a book on the Green River killer. I never remember the name of ebooks. Why I picked this, I don't know. Why I am sucked in, I don't know. I hate true crime books. They make me sad, creep me out, and give me the willies. Yet I can't stop reading this, and now want to read the book written by the other guy who was heavily involved in the investigations.

Ick. I'll read something so happy it will make me puke rainbows after this.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:34 pm 
One Trick Dick

I got 11/22/63 back from the library so I can finally finish it.

On deck:
A Very Minor Prophet - James Bernard Frost
Office Girl - Joe Meno
and a couple Siri Hustvedt books

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:39 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

alan wrote:
Just finished Lidia Yuknavitch's Dora, enjoyable read, farcical fun.

I'm so glad to hear this, I read Chronology of Water a couple weeks ago and just loved it.

I was actually on a roll of great books that one, "We Only Know So Much" by Elizabeth Crane, and "Zazen" by Vanessa Veselka. It was wonderful.

Now I'm trudging through "The Lonely Polygamist". I wish there was an easier way to find books I'll like.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:45 pm 
One Trick Dick

LazySmurf wrote:
alan wrote:
Just finished Lidia Yuknavitch's Dora, enjoyable read, farcical fun.

I'm so glad to hear this, I read Chronology of Water a couple weeks ago and just loved it.

I was actually on a roll of great books that one, "We Only Know So Much" by Elizabeth Crane, and "Zazen" by Vanessa Veselka. It was wonderful.

Now I'm trudging through "The Lonely Polygamist". I wish there was an easier way to find books I'll like.

Zazen was on my library list, but the wife snaked me.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:07 am 
Grandfathered In

lavawitch wrote:
I am reading a book on the Green River killer. I never remember the name of ebooks. Why I picked this, I don't know. Why I am sucked in, I don't know. I hate true crime books. They make me sad, creep me out, and give me the willies. Yet I can't stop reading this, and now want to read the book written by the other guy who was heavily involved in the investigations.

Ick. I'll read something so happy it will make me puke rainbows after this.

Are you reading Riverman by Bob Keppel? The same Bob Keppel who was the lead detective on the Ted (Bundy) Squad in '74?! The same Bob Keppel whose class on serial murder I took at the UW extension about 15 years ago?

Or a different Green River book?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123 ... 210  Next