| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Cookbook Challenge - Week Two - World Vegan Feast
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:18 pm 
WRETCHED

I'm not really good with pictures plus my recipe doesn't look the most appetizing :)

I first made the light seitan cutlets using soy beans (I didn't have tofu and it was something I had on hand). The recipe was a little odd in that the directions indicated that the cutlets would soak up the broth, which they didn't. I would've preferred to wait a day to have the seitan firm up before making the Serbian Braised Seitan and Sauerkraut but I wanted to make it tonight.

The Seitan and Sauerkraut was actually very good. The recipe was pretty easy to make and the jalapeno added a little extra punch to the recipe. I also added plenty of black pepper. Visually, I'm not very found of beige foods so I served this with some collard greens to give it a little greenery. In the future, I think I'd like to make my own red cabbage sauerkraut just to give it a little bit of color.

After 6 years of marriage, I also learned that my husband really, really likes sauerkraut.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:03 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I've made a lot this week! This is, however, including a few repeats. First of all, I made the chicken-style bouillon, which I love, and try to keep on hand. I replace the protein powder with soymilk powder. I also made the light seitan cutlets and the beefy seitan, both of which I've made before. I LOVE the light seitan cutlets. Generally I'm not a seitan fan, because I think it's too heavy, but the tofu in these makes them so light and lovely, and the flavor is really wonderful. The beefy seitan is almost a bit too meat-like for me, but I've used it in some of Bryanna's dishes in the past and it was good in those.
I also made the:
Bahn Mi, which I thought were good, but way too salty. Maybe this would be a good recipe to use low-sodium soy sauce in, because I think it uses 1/2 cup.

Serbian Braised Seitan and Sauerkraut, which I've made before and it's so easy and good. I like to serve it with wide fluffy noodles and extra chiles.

Baja Style Tempeh Tacos/Pineapple Chipotle salsa. These were great, and the salsa was super delicious. I had put off making them before because I thought it would be too complicated, but it was totally easy. I left off the creamy sauce, because I don't really lie sour cream/mayo, and I turned the avocado into guacamole, rather than cubing it on top. Also turned the cabbage into that cabbage slaw from Viva Vegan, rather than putting it in plain, and served with homemade bluecorn tortillas and some olives and chiles. I'd like to make these again!

Right now I have the Cassoulette in the oven, using Italian sausage from Vegan brunch. It smells really good!

Later this week, I will be using the beefy seitan in the Jamaican curry/Butternut rice and the Grits and Grillades. I've made both of these before, and they're great.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:44 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Made the tomato soup for dinner; I liked it and my oldest daughter liked it, the two younger kids were not fans!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:06 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I finished up last night with the Ugandan-style peanut butter stew.

We loved this so much! I always love anything containing peanut butter, but this was even better than I'd expected. Super rich and comforting and delicious. I definitely remember this recipe catching my eye when I first bought the book, and I have no idea why I hadn't made it until now. I'm regretting the lost time! This was really weeknight-friendly as well, which was a bonus.

I blogged a few more photos and words and things here.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:30 pm 
Nailed to the V

My reviews:

The Bahn Mi was the clear winner for this week. I've already talked about it above, so I won't repeat other than to say that it was easy and turned out great.

The Moroccan Spiced Sweet Potatoes were good too. My favorite thing about this recipe was that it called for thin half moons (instead of wedges) so the potatoes cooked up faster and crispier than my usual roasted sweet potato recipes.

The Spicy Basque Chickpea Stew was okay. As someone else mentioned, no spices are called for so the flavor is completely dependent on the chorizo that you use. I used the Viva Vegan chorizo recipe and added some extra hot pepper to the stew because it didn't taste the least bit spicy to me. This was okay, but probably not something I would make again. (I would definitely make the chorizo again though -- it came out very tasty).

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:04 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Can someone help. I am having a blog emergency. I left my copy of WVF at work. I am wanted to make the Bok choy with shitakes tonight. Can anyone message me the recipe? Pretty please?

Kim Cooks Veg 4U Blog (new blog)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:14 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I'm slowly beginning to want to cook (and eat) again after some really long workdays and a cold from hell. Since I don't have this week's book, nor the books for weeks three and four, I decided to just do another week of World Vegan Feast. So far I've made two new recipes, but I'll try to squeeze in another before the week is over.

I picked two more winners! First I made Egyptian Okra and Tomato Stew with Green Beans, which I ate with basmati rice. Then I made the Apulian Focaccia. I ended up using quite a bit less flour (maybe 3/4 cup less), which was odd since I usually have to add flour to recipes. The result was amazing, though. So soft and fluffy! Which of course is probably because this is mainly white flour unlike the breads I normally make. While the no-knead bread wins for effortlessness I'll definitely be making this bread again. Even if I had to borrow kitchen scales to figure out what 8 oz of potatoes look like.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:55 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Mashed potatoes with sautéed chard and garlic sound good. What people here (on the coast) do is just boil potatoes, blanch chard, add olive oil, salt, pepper and raw minced garlic. Bryanna's version must be even tastier. I love sautéed chard.

I think Serbian braised sauerkraut and meat is usually cooked in the oven, but I have never tried it. In Serbia (and surrounding countries) usually Hungarian pepper is used, rather than Jalapeño.

Austrian Spaetzle seem as authentic as they can be.

I bought this book many months ago and haven't cooked anything from it yet. *blush* I must participate in cookbook challenges.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:18 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Oh, I totally forgot that I made shorbat rumman (with chard instead of spinach) last week. So good. Highly recommended.

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2