| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Chip/Crisp Thread
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:10 pm 
Chard Martyr

I am on a serious chip kick. Two of my coworkers and I have this unofficial yet very efficient system where one of us brings in chips almost every day, and we snack on them with glee.

For the longest time I was going for the (slightly) more natural chips like salt and vinegar Kettle chips, then I even went so far as to buy the baked ones, but one day I bought a bag of accidentally vegan chips from my youth (ahem, Old Dutch Mexican Chile Rippled chips, for posterity) and now I only like the crappy ones with like 280 calories per serving. They make me happy.

Some other favourites: Regular Hula Hoops (my neighbouring grocery store stocks British foods!), Old Dutch ketchup, Twiglets, and this Canadian drug store brand of barbecue and also dill pickle.

Let's talk chips.

Post subject: Re: The Chip/Crisp Thread
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:24 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

My go-tos are Old Dutch ketchup (I swear my roommate and I keep the flavour afloat), Sweet Chili Heat Doritos and multi-grain tortilla chips. I want to try these Mexican Chile Rippled ones, though!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:29 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I'm simple, I love Baked Lays regular potato chips. I miss Funyons since going vegan though :(

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:05 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I need a vegan version of Ruffles Sour Cream and Cheddar. Like clockwork, when I get my insane Pre-period salt craving, I want those so much it hurts, and then I think about how gross they would taste and I feel nauseus.

So, yeah. Vegan version.

I love salt and vinegar Lays. Potato chips need to be junky. I try to avoid them entirely though. Hard to stop eating, and I definitely gain weight if I do.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:09 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I'm a ready salted any type fiend. Thanks to a sick stomach all I have eaten this weekend is 2 packets of ready salted Tesco crisps and a full bag of lightly salted tortilla chips.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:12 pm 
Mediocre Tart

Hula Hoops! Yes! I love hula hoops second only to salt 'n' shake. The best thing about hula hoops is that you partially smoosh two of them in your mouth and then poke that smoosh into a new whole one. In your mouth. Or mebbes it's just me that does that...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:33 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Michael Season's thin & crispy potato chips are my favorite salty snack. They are reduced fat but taste like regular potato chips to me.

bird noises | book of faces

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:39 pm 
Nailed to the V

There's a dollar store in town that carries Onyums. They're like Funyuns, but vegan!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:06 pm 
Chard Martyr

interrobang?! wrote:
Hula Hoops! Yes! I love hula hoops second only to salt 'n' shake. The best thing about hula hoops is that you partially smoosh two of them in your mouth and then poke that smoosh into a new whole one. In your mouth. Or mebbes it's just me that does that...

I can't even begin to describe the joy I felt when I found my favourite British salty snack ACROSS THE STREET from my new place. I will have to try your method of eating them.

Back when I lived in England (and was not vegan/vegetarian), I used to love the beef flavours of Hula Hoops and M&S crisps. One day there will be an accidentally vegan one, right?

Oh man, and I am a MASSIVE fan of these Nova Scotian chips. They are amazing. All chip-lovers must try them in his/her lifetime.

ETA...I guess they are from New Brunswick. Still just as delicious.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:53 pm 
Nailed to the V

Make them yourself once and you will never buy another bag of chips again. Mandolin, potato, deep fryer, and spices of choice = the best chips you will ever eat.....until you try yam chips or beet chips or sweet potato chips etc etc.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:08 pm 
Impressive boner

I love Frazzles and Skips (own brand milk-free ones) and Kettle Chips. Om nom nom!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:24 pm 
Saggy Butt

Vijita, I love those covered bridge chips too! We drove past the factory (in New Brunswick, as you corrected) coming back from Quebec. I had seen the sign earlier on the side of the road (Factory Outlet!) but thought it would be a bit of a drive of the highway and we were all tired. Then we passed it and it was right off the ramp - I still regret not stopping.

I also love the Presidents Choice "loads of" ketchup and all dressed - I don't buy them often because I can't stop eating them.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:24 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Pop chips - the chili lime and original! Ruffles Tapatio but the booted them...:/

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:45 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Chilli Kettle chips are the only chips worth eating. They stopped making them for a little while when they tried to make fancier flavours, and they replaced it with non-vegan sweet chilli and sour cream or some shiitake. Australia was outraged and demanded that normal chilli chips be brought back. The entire country cared more about this issue than anything going on in politics or whatever, and in an unparalleled display of people power, we got the chips back.

Those jalapeno Kettle chips they have in the US are pretty great though, too.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:10 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Lately I've been loving Miss Vickie's salt and malt vinegar kettle chips and I was noshing on jalapeno kettle chips on Friday night. Yumz. I think Munchos are vegan, too. I kinda remember having a bag a while back after checking their veganness. Mmmmm...I've been craving them again lately. But kettle chips have been my thang these days.

I really want to try the Old Dutch ketchup. I keep forgetting about them, somehow. I loooove ketchup chips though.

ZOMG, I love chips!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:20 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

seitanicverses wrote:
Lately I've been loving Miss Vickie's salt and malt vinegar kettle chips and I was noshing on jalapeno kettle chips on Friday night. Yumz. I think Munchos are vegan, too. I kinda remember having a bag a while back after checking their veganness. Mmmmm...I've been craving them again lately. But kettle chips have been my thang these days.

I really want to try the Old Dutch ketchup. I keep forgetting about them, somehow. I loooove ketchup chips though.

ZOMG, I love chips!

You should take Arisaig's advice and get the President's Choice loads of ketchup chips. They're rippled and have way more flavouring than Old Dutch. They're AMAZING!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:13 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i'm a munchos freak. they're salty enough to actually hurt my mouth, which is apparently all i really need in a chip.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:01 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I like simple chips the most. baked lays, original sun chips. I also love veggie sticks. not sure if theyre still around cause there are no TJs around here but the kind they had there were the best.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:25 pm 
Dead by dawn

I love chips way too much. Honestly, plain Lays are probably my favorite. Though I would punch my own grandmother for a perfect vegan version of Lays sour cream and onion. I also love the salt & pepper ones they sell at Target. And, you know, all the other (vegan) chips in existence...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:43 pm 
Chard Martyr

Last summer I got General Tso's potato chips at target on a clearance rack and they were soooo good, but they are totally discontinued :(

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:13 pm 
Nailed to the V

Oh, Apple Straws! For some reason the taste reminds me of mini doughnuts.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:40 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I'm a plain fritos fan. I also really love Stacy's pita chips. My office buys the gigantic bags at Costo, and it takes a lot of willpower to ignore that bag. Once I start, I have a really hard time stopping.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:52 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I love this thread. First up, I love GOOD tortilla chips with queso any day. I have a long-standing soft spot for BBQ Lays and tank reminded me of how I'd eat Sun Chips for a late, ridiculous breakfast like, twice a year, from the convenience store at my old job. I used to be obsessed with the French Onion ones, was it? when I was younger. In more recent time, I like salt & pepper kettle-style chips, those sea salt rice chips with hummus...I could go on. I tried a couple of varieties of the newish Beanfield's chips at VegFest yesterday, and I must get my hands on a bag of the nacho soon! I mean, they won a VegNews Best in Show Award, so you know they're good : )

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:23 am 
Chard Martyr

Oh man, I really need to try those President's Choice "loads of" ketchup brand. For someone who doesn't really like ketchup, I sure do love ketchup chips. Old Dutch has a new rippled brand called Spicy Ketchup, and they're pretty good, but they're definitely no Mexican Chile.

jdfunks...I totally liked those french onion sun chips back in the day. And lolz at you know what.

More favourites: the old school barbecue Old Dutch that come in the boxes. Remember when all of a sudden every brands barbecue changed to be less salty, more sweet, less spicy, and more mesquite? Yeah, Old Dutch boxes never did. Props.

I kind of worship Old Dutch.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:00 am 
Ninja Master

I LOVE crisps. They are my biggest diet downfall! When I'm onsite for work I really struggle to get vegan food unless I bring it with me and I end up eating loads of crisps. It's not good.

I am currently addicted to nik naks. I like the nice n spicy and rib n saucy ones. I will eat the scampi lemon ones but only if they're the only ones left in the pack, as I find them a bit powdery.

I love Walkers, especially Worcester Sauce flavour, salt & vinegar and prawn cocktail.

Also, I love the flame grilled steak ridged kettle chips. They always seem to be on special for about £1 for a big bag and they are so freaking good.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com

Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next