| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 607 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: What did you make for your baby/toddler to eat today?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:02 am 
Inflexitarian

Raspberry Swirl wrote:
I'm trying desperately to put some weight on Lu. He's always been small, since he was premature (and his growth in utero was stunted from my placenta being damaged) and has been on his own growth chart and gaining appropriately for his size. Until he hit the 15-18 month range. While he's still been gaining slightly, it's not as much as before and I'm starting to catch some heat from his ped. I'm sure the reason why he's not gaining as much is because he's constantly on the move, determined to burn every calorie I can feed him. Not to mention the increasing picky eating. In addition to three meals and three snacks daily, he still manages to drink two bottles of concentrated calorie soy formula, and at least one large sippy worth of plant milk with flax oil mixed in. Some of my most recent fattening food tricks have been-

Cooking lentils with added olive oil, then making lentil "meatballs" and frying them.
Smoothies with full fat coconut cream added.
Adding a layer of earth balance under his peanut butter on toast.
Oatmeal with soy creamer, flax oil, and nut butter.
Adding oil into applesauce.

I feel like I'm oiling the poor boy to death. Any other high fat suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Honestly it sounds like you're doing a really great job adding in extra calories in a healthy way to his diet. How concentrated is his toddler formula (22 calories/ounce, 24 calories/ounce, etc.)?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:08 am 
Inflexitarian

Yesterday Guineapiglet had...

Breakfast: biscuits, sauteed spinach, sweet seitan, and mango
Lunch: Falafel and hummus
Dinner: an attempt at what used to be her favorite spinach quesadillas made with chickpea cheese but she's lost her love of dinner. anything after 5 has to be either nursing or snacks or she's just not that into it.

10 months old and she occasionally (maybe once or twice a week) replaces food with nursing. But does seem to be drinking a little less when she nurses now.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:15 am 
Semen Strong

Breakfast: honey crisp apple slices, granola and soy yogurt. We're going to a bagel brunch for lunch!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:51 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I just put a batch of kale chips (seasoned w/ olive oil, copious nooch, garlic & onion powder, salt & a bit of chipotle) in the dehydrator. This is the 1st time I've made them. I can't believe a $1.50 bunch of kale filled my entire 9 tray excalibur. Man the ones you can buy pre-made are expensive!!

A few hours from now we shall see if I can get Kai to eat some greens.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:43 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Yesterday, slightly fussy Freya not wanting to eat much. I'm thinking maybe it's her teeth, but I sooo wish she could just tell me. :( She did much better today.

Today:
B-fast: nibbled some strawberries, refused cereal, maybe two bites of yogurt
snack: 1/2 digestive and good bit of bread from farmers' market
lunch: several pieces of pasta, and avocado (after refusing soup), bits of (vegan) cheese, small bit of pear
snack: some O's, mostly serving as a distraction while mommy tried to make sure our house wasn't condemned by the Board of Health
dinner: baked beans, couscous, nibbled pattypan squash/onions but refused the kale that was in there, nibbled apple, wasn't sure what to make of corn on the cob

Hard to believe that soon she's going to be at the point where she's supposed to be getting most of her nutrients from big people food. Eek!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:10 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Aubade wrote:
I just put a batch of kale chips (seasoned w/ olive oil, copious nooch, garlic & onion powder, salt & a bit of chipotle) in the dehydrator. This is the 1st time I've made them. I can't believe a $1.50 bunch of kale filled my entire 9 tray excalibur. Man the ones you can buy pre-made are expensive!!

A few hours later...little bugger won't even try a chip. I thought vegan kids were supposed to love kale chips. Harumph.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:17 pm 

More for you, eh? :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:42 pm 

Aubade wrote:
Aubade wrote:

A few hours later...little bugger won't even try a chip. I thought vegan kids were supposed to love kale chips. Harumph.

We're they good? The expensive pre made ones are sooooooo tasty. There is a place by my work that sells these tiny bags for eight dollars. It was dangerous when I was pregnant.
Lunch yesterday was an avocado roll. She ate the whole thing. Went on to eat a massive amount of grapes.
Last night we had tofu scramble, green beans, and brussels sprouts.
Today we were at family brunch and she ate a ton of Brussels sprouts, green beans, tofu chili, and grapes.
Tonight we are trying baked beans for the first time, and broccoli.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:49 pm 

OMG brussels sprouts...go babynut!

I think I may rather stab myself in the hand than eat a ton of brussels sprouts. I won't even let K cook them in the house. ((shudder))

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:07 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Butternut wrote:
Aubade wrote:
Aubade wrote:

Were they good? The expensive pre made ones are sooooooo tasty. There is a place by my work that sells these tiny bags for eight dollars. It was dangerous when I was pregnant.

I think they're good! Very chip-y and tasty. I never had store bought ones because they're so expensive so I can't compare, but I like these a lot. It made 2 24 oz containers & 1 9 oz container, so basically about 7 cups just from that one bunch of kale!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:27 pm 
Semen Strong

Bagel brunch was awesome! I can highly recommend it as a get together with other mama friends. Everyone just brings their own bagels and toppings and coffee and you all sit together outside as the kidlets play. So fun, and so low pressure. We spent the whole day sitting outside playing, eating and talking. Best way to spend a Sunday ever.

And for dinner we had the reheated eggplant lentil dish from AFR over pasta. Leela ate a huge bowl and then came looking for more. Really happy that she seems to be eating so well.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:54 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

breakfast: purple organic baby puffs (we were out of pretty much eveything and didn't go grocery shopping till after lunch)
lunch: avacado cubes, a few tots, falafel rounds with the avacado on it, more puffs
snack: cantalope, vanilla almond granola
dinner: black bean and sweet potato flautas from yellow rose recipes (his new fave!)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:22 pm 
Inflexitarian

refinnej wrote:

I think I may rather stab myself in the hand than eat a ton of brussels sprouts. I won't even let K cook them in the house. ((shudder))

Oh my goodness Brussels sprouts are divine! I am making it my personal mission to covert you. Although I don't know how yet. Hmmm...anywho!

Guineapiglet's food for today:
Breakfast - waffles, millet patty, sauteed spinach
Snack - Veggie Pirates Booty (her new obsession)
Lunch got hijacked by swim lessons, naps and nursing
Dinner Falafel and poblano potato salad
Snack on our evening walk an oat/dried fruit bar

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:22 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

refinnej wrote:

Maybe you are a supertaster! http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/sci ... 12-23.html

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:48 pm 

Soba noodles with a cold peanut sauce? YES! Stir fried veggies? Alright.

Watching a baby eat noodles is pretty entertaining.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:18 pm 
Semen Strong

Leela continues to love everything we make her. Last night she was shoveling her food in and it was adorable.

Breakfast today: cereal, yogurt and apple
late lunch/dinner (Mama fail): Harvest blend grains, kale and white beans.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:19 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Aubade wrote:
I think they're good! Very chip-y and tasty. I never had store bought ones because they're so expensive so I can't compare, but I like these a lot. It made 2 24 oz containers & 1 9 oz container, so basically about 7 cups just from that one bunch of kale!

do you massage your kale before you put it in the dehydrator?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:29 pm 
Inflexitarian

Breakfast - fresh mango slices, O's mixed w/freeze dried apples and blueberries
Lunch - spinach pizza (whole wheat english muffin, homemade pizza sauce, ribbons of fresh spinach on top)
Dinner - she had a late nap today so just ended up nursing and nibbling on the cucumbers, tomatoes and lettuce of my salad as we sat on teh floor and ate. Oh and a couple bites of roasted red pepper cornbread.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:30 pm 
Inflexitarian

Tofulish wrote:
Leela continues to love everything we make her. Last night she was shoveling her food in and it was adorable.

Breakfast today: cereal, yogurt and apple
late lunch/dinner (Mama fail): Harvest blend grains, kale and white beans.

That's the luxury of this age - when things get crazy and a meal is skipped nursing fills in the gaps. I'm going to miss the days when I can just whip out a boob and call it dinner.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:53 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Breakfast: blueberries (like 8 - amazing!), a couple bites of a Nature's Path Flax Waffle and rejected the bite that had peanut butter on it. A very impressive meal for her.
Lunch: I think noodles with "butter," probably very few.
Dinner: Several more blueberries, one macaroni, rejected spinach, nibbles at a few grapes (then played "feed grapes to Daddy" game).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:54 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Sent Henry with his first big boy lunch to daycare today! Pasta with a little bit of sauce and raspberries. He loved it! I'd been in a rut because he's only tried a handful of things, and babies have to have had a food three times before they'll give it to them at school (I get a little leeway since I work one class over, but he still hasn't tried a ton of stuff). For dinner he had some cold oatmeal leftover from this morning - I love his current lack of pickiness - and some unsweetened applesauce for "dessert".

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:57 pm 
Semen Strong

Breakfast: granola, banana, strawberry in coconut yogurt and almond milk
Lunch: roasted butternut squash and cauliflower over Harvest Blend grains
Dinner: pasta with roasted butternut, kale and garlic.

All three were well received and delicious.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:04 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Breakfast: don't think it happened
Lunch: Had lunch at friend's house for Sukkot and Malka ate almost an entire stuffed shell with tofu-pumpkin filling and tomato sauce, many spoonfuls of black bean soup with tofutti sour cream (and then went back and tried to eat some with her fingers), and a few rice crackers. A really amazing meal.
Dinner: a bite or two of a nuked frozen burrito with ketchup on it, a couple bites of tomato, some soft tofu a little bit later

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:13 am 

I'm so happy right now she'll pretty much eat anything we eat. Tonight I made one of my fall/winter weeknight staples that I worried wasn't kid friendly, and she devoured it. So black-eyed pea gumbo was a success. Even the okra.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:31 am 
Inflexitarian

Just like that guineapiglet went from casually eating to replacing nursing's with food, literally overnight. Yesterday she had:

Breakfast - cantaloupe, toast, tofu scramble and spinach
Lunch - marinated baked tofu and sweet potato tots
Dinner - an entire tamale, sauteed spinach and raspberries for dessert (I have never seen her eat so much!)

Snacks - O's, freeze dried fruit and veggie booty throughout the day

Oh and Butternut black eyed pea gumbo sounds amazing. Do you have the recipe handy? I'm trying to learn to love okra

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 607 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 25  Next