It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Experiences with scams - woe stories and close calls
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:24 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

Quote:
Dear __________,
How are you?
Please find the attached Transaction Order. Incoming money transfer, which you are supposed to process, will come
to you as a check. You will receive this check via USPS.

The steps of procedure:
1. Please see Transaction Order carefully.
2. Waiting for Incoming money transfer (You will receive check by USPS).
3. As soon as You receive Incoming money transfer (receive the check) complete the Transaction Order:
A - Cash Incoming money transfer (Cash check).
B - Take 5 percent commission from sum for Yourself.
C - With 95 percent from the sum go to the MoneyGram or Western Union Agent and transfer money to the
Recipient specified in Transaction Order
(Attention! Withhold transaction fee according to the Contract terms and send the remaining amount.
Take transaction fee from our part 95 percent and send the rest of the money.)
4 . After sending the money, you will need to email the report on the completed transaction having the
following information:
- Full name of the manager you sent the funds to
- Amount transferred
- Reference number (8-digit number Money Gram gave you OR 10-digit number, that western union's teller will give you after the money transfer.)

this is a classic translator hiring scheme as well.

i have only two scam experiences-
1) rentacar-- don't remember what company, but somehow the 40/day turned into almost $2000 for something like 5 days. I tried to fight and dispute but I was getting close to my flight time and, unsurprisingly, no manager could be found to talk to me. Convenient. I had to sign/pay and run or miss my flight. I was REALLY pissed off. Worse still, the car had a crummy electrical system and i had to be towed while using it. It should have been free.
2) got scammed by a non-profit who hired me to do a very large translation on a super tight deadline. told me, when informed about the usual 100% rush fee, "price is no object". I worked like a dog (and destroyed my NaNoWriMo project to deliver 100 pages in a week) but made it. About an hour after I had delivered the document, i got a call from some strange person, not my contact there, who ranted and raved for almost 30 minutes, totally abusive, telling me how horrible my job was and how embarrassed they were that they even knew me, at some points screaming and yelling insults. I was utterly gobsmacked and unable to respond with anything coherent except that i'd love to see what the problems were and talk to their staff about what my shortcomings were. The person told me they "didn't have time to deal with idiots like you." I hung up. Of course, the bottom line was- unsatisfied, they refused to pay. I was so distraught i had a TMJ episode and my jaw locked up, i had to go to acupuncture and the guy asked me if i had been assaulted, i was so messed up. I finally called up my translation partner in tears to tell her what had happened. She interrupted my sniffles right away to ask "it was a non-profit, right?" Yeah, it was. Apparently that is how these nonprofits afford expensive translations- get them delivered and then complain. The ruder the better. No need to pay. I had no idea. Damn shame, because I will never translate for a non-profit again, and I'm sure they're not all scammers.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:44 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

I think that's somewhat common with goods and services. Someone will complain, loudly, rudely and repeatedly to get something that is just fine for free. It happens on etsy often where someone complains about what they received and often make threats about a lawsuit or 'negative feedback'. They're trying to scare the seller into a refund and the seller will want to try to avoid the negative feedback. And $30 may seem like not much to give up to avoid a potential lawsuit (that is a completely empty threat).
Also on etsy there are always lots of people who will send messages looking for donation to causes or items sent for free to review on a blog. Usually the blog has few posts and few followers. Sometimes the cause are fake and the person pockets all the charity money. There was a big one a number of years ago and etsy had to change their policy about allowing charity people to solicit.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:51 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

karichelle wrote:
I also had a shoplifter once who had his whole family involved, young kids included. That was very sad.

I've seen that too. Quite of few customers who were trying to do check/EBT scams had their kids with them. :(

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:51 pm 
And you never will.

pandacookie wrote:
I think that's somewhat common with goods and services. Someone will complain, loudly, rudely and repeatedly to get something that is just fine for free. It happens on etsy often where someone complains about what they received and often make threats about a lawsuit or 'negative feedback'. They're trying to scare the seller into a refund and the seller will want to try to avoid the negative feedback. And $30 may seem like not much to give up to avoid a potential lawsuit (that is a completely empty threat).

I've had two separate people do this to me, one after a wedding cake and one after a birthday cake and many mini cakes. I gave each of them one calm email explaining why they wouldn't get a refund, and ignored all further loud complaints, saved harassing phone messages, and threats of lawsuits (which never occurred). People are jerks.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:06 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

My partner's grandparents were scammed once when someone called telling them their grandson was in jail and ill and needed several thousand dollars wired to some bank in Central America (where it would then be transferred to the jail?) to post bail and get to a hospital. They were so upset and distraught that they did it without thinking. If they had taken five minutes to call him they would have known he was fine, but they were terrified. Mankind can be absolutely worthless and I'd like to kick those people in the teeth.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:15 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

That Whole Foods story from earlier happened a few times when I was a cashier. We were trained to be on the lookout for acts like that. Thankfully, it never happened to me. Our undercover security guards catch shoplifters all the time, and there are purse-snatchers in our store from time to time. I also just learned that there are apparently organized retail crime groups. That's pretty wild. We had to start locking up Hennessy and Patron because shoplifters will steal them and sell them on the sly to little corner stores. Shady stuff.

One guy was recently caught, and I saw him only days before. I was filling the wine cooler at the end of the night, and saw him put 6 bottles of high-end rosé Champagne (think $60+ bottles) in one of the six-pack carriers and was walking around the department. He was either spooked by me or one of our undercover guys, because he put everything back and bolted out the side door. Funny thing was, I only noticed him because he was wearing a long black apron, black pants and white button-up, like he was a waiter or busser. He was caught a few days later in one of the suburban stores, stealing more high-end Champagnes, and claimed he was doing it to fund his heroin addiction, but security thinks he's part of one of the ORC groups. Forked up.

I bought a fake iPod on Ebay once because it was cheaper than a refurb. It inevitably broke, and I took it to the Apple store, where they pointed out all of the imperfections. How could I have known? I've only used Ebay once in the 5 years since then. Fred uses it to sell old music equipment, and has had several people try to scam him.

I also got bullied into getting a credit card when I was 18. Someone cold-called my house, knew all of my information, and just asked me to confirm. Eighteen-year-old me was an idiot, because I'm pretty sure I did the same thing with another card. I ignored my dad's warnings and used them. I racked up a few more cards and a couple grand in debt, which I'm still dealing with. My credit is shot, I can't get student loans without a cosigner, and I still don't have a credit card after cutting up the last one about 7 years ago. That reminds me I have court on Oct 4th. Baaaaaaarf.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:41 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

poopiebitch wrote:
pandacookie wrote:

I've had two separate people do this to me, one after a wedding cake and one after a birthday cake and many mini cakes. I gave each of them one calm email explaining why they wouldn't get a refund, and ignored all further loud complaints, saved harassing phone messages, and threats of lawsuits (which never occurred). People are jerks.

It is why I always like to stress that the customer is not always right. A lot of online places like Amazon and Etsy encourage sellers to follow that rule and I think it hurts the sellers a lot. The more people get away with their threats the more they use them to get lots of free things. If the marketplaces were more proactive about shutting down scammers it would help. There is never an excuse to email a company and be flat out rude and threatening. It is a huge red flag that they do that often. I took negative feedback because I was not going to play that shiitake. You can spot the crazy feedback from a mile away, too, because it is almost always long and rambling and there will be caps lock.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:33 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

pandacookie wrote:
It is why I always like to stress that the customer is not always right. A lot of online places like Amazon and Etsy encourage sellers to follow that rule and I think it hurts the sellers a lot. The more people get away with their threats the more they use them to get lots of free things. If the marketplaces were more proactive about shutting down scammers it would help. There is never an excuse to email a company and be flat out rude and threatening. It is a huge red flag that they do that often. I took negative feedback because I was not going to play that shiitake. You can spot the crazy feedback from a mile away, too, because it is almost always long and rambling and there will be caps lock.

I stopped re-selling books on Amazon for this reason. That was a lot of unnecessary drama, full of bad punctuation, caps locks and Amazon insisting that I was in the wrong (not true!).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:30 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

mandycoot wrote:
karichelle wrote:
I also had a shoplifter once who had his whole family involved, young kids included. That was very sad.

I've seen that too. Quite of few customers who were trying to do check/EBT scams had their kids with them. :(

A guy was once caught with his 8 year old daughter switching price stickers in our store. He had apparently been doing it for a while. We recognized him as a regular, and he always came with his daughter and said a really friendly "hello" when he came in. Then he'd take a pile of books from the sale section, and a pile of full-priced books, sit somewhere quiet (to "read"), peel off the sale stickers and put them on full-priced books, and then pay in a different section (like he'd pay for sci-fi books in the non-fiction section so that the employees were less likely to know which titles were meant to be on sale). He got caught because he tried this with a really big brand new title (something like the newest Terry Pratchett hardcover) that was clearly NOT on sale. The manager on duty at that moment came to deal with the situation (I'm not sure if the police were called or if he was just asked to leave and never come back) and told him he should be ashamed of himself for not only doing this, but involving his daughter in his dishonest (criminal) doings.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:53 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Catalina wrote:
My partner's grandparents were scammed once when someone called telling them their grandson was in jail and ill and needed several thousand dollars wired to some bank in Central America (where it would then be transferred to the jail?) to post bail and get to a hospital. They were so upset and distraught that they did it without thinking. If they had taken five minutes to call him they would have known he was fine, but they were terrified. Mankind can be absolutely worthless and I'd like to kick those people in the teeth.

ooh, i forgot- when my husband went to Japan the first time (1990, when Brazil was financially in pretty bad shape), within a few days after his departure his mom got a strange call from some "kind soul" who was "interpreting for him in the airport" saying that the immig police in Los Angeles had taken him into custody, he needed $5000 wired right away to get him out. Luckily my mother in law is a pretty smart cookie and knew that his flight went through Canada and not the US, and told them to go take a bath.

It's pretty common to get "kidnap" phone calls here- usually to business numbers- where you hear a kid's voice crying and a rough male voice saying "pay up or the kid gets it". Your first reaction is to say your kid's name, and the guy says "yeah we have Fernando right here" etc etc. They're usually calling from organized crime rings in prisons.
My husband fell for it once, went screaming to the school to check and see if FC was there (she was).
Since then we've learned to say some other name when these calls come instead of your kid's name, and lead these meatheads on. ("Maria!!!!" "Yes we have Maria right here, we're going to cut off her ears" "Great, Maria is my mother in law, could you sew her mouth shut while you're at it?")

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:07 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

mandycoot wrote:
Quarantined wrote:
Fee wrote:

This has me wondering if people were trying to scam me or if that guy just legit forgot he took the $100 back. Because several times while working as a cashier something similar happened where I had to remind the customer that they hadn't actually given me the money.

I feel like if he legitimately forgot he'd be pretty likely to go back to the store and explain the mistake, when it involved that much money. I mean, you'd probably notice an extra $97 in your wallet pretty fast and might be freaked out, if it was a real mistake.

I'm 100% sure he was a scammer, especially with four more years of cashiering under my belt after that (some of them in Chicago; I am no longer surprised by anything). And looking back on it, who buys a single box of kids' cereal with a $100 bill? The whole thing was fishy and I was too busy being annoyed and bisque-y to recognize it. Another good lesson. :)

This happened to me at a bank I worked and I gave the person an extra $800 through being deceived like you were. I was mortified when I realized what happened at day's end, and my boss consoled me and says it happens all the time.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:14 am 

pandacookie wrote:
There was a big one a number of years ago and etsy had to change their policy about allowing charity people to solicit.

i didn't know that! what should i search for, and where to read to make sure i didn't do anything wrong? i searched charity, and only found "Can I donate proceeds from my shop to a charitable cause?" and in the TOS, there's a section called "Charitable listings and shops" but i didn't see anything about non-crafters soliciting crafters for items to be raffled off to charity (off of etsy)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:14 am 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

I've had to do a lot of job hunting in the last few years, and in this desperate economy you really have to watch out for scammers. A scam I've seen a lot is receiving an e-mail for a job you don't remember applying for, and the e-mail may be addressed to your name or it may just be something generic like "Dear applicant". The body of the e-mail may say something like "The position you applied for has been filled but we think based on your qualifications you'd be a great applicant for (whatever) position. Visit our website to apply." So you'll click on the link and the website looks pretty legit, the questions are simple, but the company needs your credit score to process the application. That's a big red flag.
Also, never pay to apply for a job.
I love Craigslist and there are a lot of great things to buy and sell there, and plenty of good legit jobs, but lots of scams as well. I use the "detroit metro" craigslist and a quick way to find the scam jobs is that their location is (detroit metro) instead of a specific city. The job descriptions will be simple, the pay will be inflated (14-17$ hourly for entry level, unheard of in our state).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:17 am 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

paprikapapaya wrote:
This happened to me at a bank I worked and I gave the person an extra $800 through being deceived like you were. I was mortified when I realized what happened at day's end, and my boss consoled me and says it happens all the time.

It's tough. Those people are really good! I got hit with one when I was a barista. She kept handing me different bills, asking for different change, but I rolled with the punches and didn't get scammed. So then she "accidentally" dropped some money into our tip jar, oh, ooops, better grab that money back out of there, and grabbed a fist full of bills. What could I do? It was quite frustrating.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:22 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

We found a great rental house a few months ago for a great price, sent an email, and the guy sent back this very well-written email about wanting to find a tenant who will take great care of their house while his family is living out of state for a couple years. Okay, fine. So we exchange a couple emails and the grammar/spelling gets worse and worse, until he informs me that we would be mailing a deposit and he would be mailing keys. I had believed the out-of-town story, but figured that he had a property manager in-town who was taking care of the property. I asked about seeing it in person, and he said we could "go walk around" or something like that. Yyyyeah, no. So I find the house for sale on another website and contact the agent, who confirms that the house is for sale, not for rent, and it actually had sold the day before.

After this, I always searched the address if it looked too good to be true, and it was surprising how many houses were for sale and for rent by two different companies. Someone already mentioned this, but it was almost always a "firstnamelastname@yahoo.com" address.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:40 am 

i was essentially scammed by a former employer.

the craigslist ad mentioned $10 (not based on experience, just a flat $10/hr.)
when i got the job, he mentioned hiring me at $8.50 on a trial basis, and i agreed against my better judgment. that went on for 4 months before i asked him when i qualified for the $10. i was waiting for him to bump me up to what i initially went in expecting to get (and deserved), but he never brought it up.
(on top of all that, he didn't have the means to be an actual employer. so not only was i making $8.50/hour, but i was paying ALL of the taxes in a "self-employed contractor" type situation. much more expensive, and fewer benefits than an actual W2'ed employee) i've learned my lesson.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:20 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I think I may have almost gotten scammed or much worse with a job one time too. I had a phone interview that went really well and then they guy wanted me to come in, which was fine. Until he told me where the office was located. This is what freaked me out. He gave me the address and it took me a few seconds to realize he was running the business out of an apartment in the same apartment complex that I was currently living in. I don't know if that was a weird happenstance or what, but I was not comfortable with being a part of some shady business or possibly getting kidnapped or raped if I went to the apartment to finish the interviewing process. So I just never went through with it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:12 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Oh, I got scammed (well I consider this a scam) when I was in my late teens by a credit card company.

I had a couple of cards, doing it the 'right way', that is, not charging a lot, paying off every month, basically just building good credit.

This was 15ish years ago when you still paid bills by invoice in the mail. Remember that? probably not. Anyway, there was always a bunch of junk in there, offers for like personalized checks and stuff. I always threw that crepe away without looking at it.

Well apparently there was a form in there by the credit card company offering me their insurance (if you can't pay your bill because you lose your job or something, you get a longer billing cycle etc). The catch was, if you DID NOT WANT IT you had to sign it and return it.

I never even noticed that paper. Of course I didn't sign it. Next thing I knew, I had a $200 charge on my card for it. I called and fought for it to be taken off. They refused. I cancelled the card and refused to pay it. Got sent to collections, my credit took a massive dump because of this. I tried going to consumer groups to help me, but since it was for such a small amount (well not to me, by the time the interest added up it was over $500) they wouldn't help me.

This should be illegal, but it is not. So watch out for stuff like this. I notice that my cable company pulls shiitake like this with my bills, and my bank too. Gotta stay on top of that stuff.

This was long ago, and it still peas me off. Took 7 years to get my credit back in line.

"Unethical business practices." I call it a SCAM.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:49 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

supercarrot wrote:
pandacookie wrote:
There was a big one a number of years ago and etsy had to change their policy about allowing charity people to solicit.

i didn't know that! what should i search for, and where to read to make sure i didn't do anything wrong? i searched charity, and only found "Can I donate proceeds from my shop to a charitable cause?" and in the TOS, there's a section called "Charitable listings and shops" but i didn't see anything about non-crafters soliciting crafters for items to be raffled off to charity (off of etsy)

This was for groups that would form a shop on etsy and ask people to donate for them to sell and then the proceeds would go to charity. Someone cooked up this story about a starving child in India ( or something) and started the Save Wee Girl shop. Lots of people gave products and all proceeds went to this group who was supposedly saving a wee starving Indian girl. Well, they disappeared one day and to my knowledge no one ever got a satisfying answer about where the money went. People will still solicit for charity donations but there aren't supposed to be stores opened with the purpose of raising money for a cause. Etsy has no way to check out these people. If you have an established charity with links to past happenings and everything is off site, you'll be fine.

Panda With Cookie

Last edited by pandacookie on Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:51 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Chicki wrote:
This was 15ish years ago when you still paid bills by invoice in the mail. Remember that? probably not.

I still pay bills by mail.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:43 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

pandacookie wrote:
Chicki wrote:
This was 15ish years ago when you still paid bills by invoice in the mail. Remember that? probably not.

I should have said, when that was the only option to pay bills.

I do paperless. I am askairt to send checks in the mail.

I did a bit of consulting work in the ID theft industry and am SUPER parionoid about my mail. I shred and black out EVERYTHING. I have heard what happens to people. Hell, I have known people that have had their identity stolen. It really messed up their lives. That's why I freaked out so bad when my phone was hacked. I was afraid they got my personal information (SSN, birthday, passwords etc)

I know. I am ridiculously parinoid. I once had company over, and they saw my shredder and I explained why I had it. They looked at me like I had 2 heads. Oh well, it makes me feel better anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:36 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I almost got scammed when I was looking for housing in Australia on Craigslist. Found a place, sent emails back & forth with someone with very bad grammar. Was supposed to send a deposit & I would get keys in the mail. Asked for the apt's address, googled the address I was given & no such place existed. Very glad I listened to my gut and called off the deal. Although they were quite persistent about google "being wrong" and wanting my deposit.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:00 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Chicki wrote:
Oh, I got scammed (well I consider this a scam) when I was in my late teens by a credit card company.

I had a couple of cards, doing it the 'right way', that is, not charging a lot, paying off every month, basically just building good credit.

This was 15ish years ago when you still paid bills by invoice in the mail. Remember that? probably not. Anyway, there was always a bunch of junk in there, offers for like personalized checks and stuff. I always threw that crepe away without looking at it.

Well apparently there was a form in there by the credit card company offering me their insurance (if you can't pay your bill because you lose your job or something, you get a longer billing cycle etc). The catch was, if you DID NOT WANT IT you had to sign it and return it.

I never even noticed that paper. Of course I didn't sign it. Next thing I knew, I had a $200 charge on my card for it. I called and fought for it to be taken off. They refused. I cancelled the card and refused to pay it. Got sent to collections, my credit took a massive dump because of this. I tried going to consumer groups to help me, but since it was for such a small amount (well not to me, by the time the interest added up it was over $500) they wouldn't help me.

This should be illegal, but it is not. So watch out for stuff like this. I notice that my cable company pulls shiitake like this with my bills, and my bank too. Gotta stay on top of that stuff.

This was long ago, and it still peas me off. Took 7 years to get my credit back in line.

"Unethical business practices." I call it a SCAM.

Was this card a Discover card? I saw in the news today that they got in trouble for doing exactly what you described. You'd only get a refund if it happened recently, but still it is nice to know that they can't pull that kind of crepe any longer.

http://www.latimes.com/business/money/l ... 4933.story

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:19 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

No it was capital one, but yeah that is really similar! Just I got the thing in the mail, not over the phone.

Just because it is a big, well known company does not mean they don't scam their customers. You kind of have a degree of trust towards companies like that, you think you are a valued customer and they would never try to pull one over on you. But they will. They don't care.

Banks are terrible too. About 9 years ago my partner went on a business trip to Europe. He called his bank to see if he would be charged to use his debit card. They told him no. He called again, talked to someone else to see if he would get the same answer. "no sir, we do not charge you to use your debit card". So how come he had $900 in transaction charges when he got home? Oh, those were some other fee...that they didn't tell him about. Not a fee to use his debit card, but a fee to change the currency over. Apparently they didn't lie to him, since he didn't ask the question the right way.

forked up his credit big time. Only barley got it off his record. Now for both of our cases, we were young, but certainly not stupid. We thought we were well informed and knew what we were doing.

Point it, scams are not just the Nigerian Prince emails and stuff. Big corporations can do it to, but they can cover their asparagus better, behind lawyers and legal jargon, and get away with it.

I am glad to see Discover got busted and is refunding people. It makes me happy to hear that kind of stuff, since I have been screwed pretty bad in the past.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:23 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

pandacookie wrote:
Chicki wrote:

I'm picturing a panda walking to the post office mailbox - cookie in one hand, envelopes in the other. Panda gets to mailbox, realizes both hands are full, and must eat cookie before she can open the slot and drop in her envelopes.

bird noises | book of faces