| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 591 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Writers "Kick in the Pants" thread
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:38 pm 
Grandfathered In

Thanks, TC. Yeah, it's food/compost for thought. I know consistency is important, but it can just be so darn hard. I know that it doesn't just lead to good ideas, but it creates a sense of discipline and possibility. But it's hard to let go of false beliefs, like "This should be easy" or "If I was any good at this, it would just happen."

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:45 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Well, yea. The point is to just allow yourself to write total complete JUNK. For a while, if I were you, I'd just put the story away for a bit and just spend some time journaling every day. AS long as you are writing SOMETHING it doesn't really matter what it is, or how good/awful it is. And journaling seems like it would be less emotionally loaded for you. Once you get into a good rhythm, then you can start working on your story every week or every few days.

Dear Nora: My cat's advice column (really)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:08 am 
Grandfathered In

Put in 500+ words. Up to 67,500 or so, not that that's the point. The point is finishing the draft, however many pages it needs to be.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:47 pm 
WELFARIST!

^Yay!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:15 am 
Grandfathered In

Eep.

Yesterday: no.

Today: no.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:08 am 
WELFARIST!

Take the weekends off, footie and just write during the week, maybe? (that's usually what I do unless I'm feeling especially inspired on weekends.) Keep going!!!!!!!!! I KNOW you can do it!1!!!! and it'll be awesome!!!1!!1!!!!

I think I wrote 1800+ new words yesterday and revised/reorganized a chapter. Then, this morning, while out for my run, I looked into the river while I was crossing the bridge and what seems like a really intriguing idea to introduce into my novel flashed into my mind. I have to do my writing hours in the evening today (usually try to do it in the morning but today's schedule makes my morning writing impossible today) and I'm gonna work with my new idear and see how it goes. Still need help with the structure and this idea will both help the structure and add plot intrigue (hopefully!).

Ideas always seem so much better in my mind, when I imagine them, before I start forging them out on the page...and then it becomes "this sucks!" But hopefully not! *fingers crossed*

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:53 pm 
One Trick Dick

I went to a open meeting of the Oregon Writer's Colony last night (http://oregonwriterscolony.org/). Not sure what i took away form it, other than membership is cheap and grants you access to a cabin on the coast. More of a networking tool than anything else.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:53 pm 
Grandfathered In

Got my words done tonight. I've probably got another 500 words or so before I have to turn to the forbidding last act.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:15 pm 
WELFARIST!

Woot! You can do it.

I'm not going to get much done today, I'm just getting started and worked an extra long day, had errands to run, etc. I'm just going to write a bit about the idea I had today and deal with the particulars later. This is why morning writing works better for me, I'm always too pooped by the evening after work to get much done. Tomorrow will be the same thing and maybe Friday, with trying to write in the evening/night.

Next week, I should be able to return to morning sessions!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:25 pm 
WELFARIST!

alan wrote:
I went to a open meeting of the Oregon Writer's Colony last night (http://oregonwriterscolony.org/). Not sure what i took away form it, other than membership is cheap and grants you access to a cabin on the coast. More of a networking tool than anything else.

I was at the Word on the Street festival in Toronto last Sunday and picked up some pamphlets for a writers association but on closer examination, it turned out to be non-fiction (I dabble in non-fiction, but more personal/memoir and this is for...like financial writing and maybe self help kind of stuff). The bulk of my writing is fiction anyhoo so I don't think that particular association is for me.

I also joined a poets and writers meet up group but haven't gone to any meet ups. Also they send me e-mails sometimes which are like "get in touch with your soul! meetup" and that sounds like its not for me, either...

I don't usually pursue these things but I do put my feelers out every so to see what's out there...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:25 pm 
Grandfathered In

9/27: √

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:06 pm 
WELFARIST!

^Sorry footie I dunno exactly what that means, but it looks like progress to me!

Didn't write any new words myself today (besides making some plotting notes for my next steps and outlining the next scenes I want to do) and spent about an hour doing that and reorganizing and a bit of editing of words already written.

Right now, it's all so discouraging for me and I know it'll be like this for a while. I feel like my early drafts are all "telling", like forging out the story intentions and inventing some characters and now I'm in the slow, painstaking process of converting all that "telling" into scenes that "show" meanwhile still forging because what I have so far is by no means anywhere near complete. Basically, I'm trying to write scenes of the parts of the story that interest me and eventually I hope to patch them together into a cohesive narrative.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:15 pm 
Grandfathered In

(9/27: check! I did my writing!)

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm doing a lot of, "Look, here's how this guy's feeling, okay?"

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:34 am 
WELFARIST!

FootFace wrote:
(9/27: check! I did my writing!)

Okay, awesome!

FootFace wrote:
Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm doing a lot of, "Look, here's how this guy's feeling, okay?"

Exactly.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:57 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Um, hello.
It seems that by showing a lot of enthusiasm about a certain subject, I have talked myself into a corner - albeit an exciting corner with an amazing space-themed wallpaper - and now I have to actually write a book. i.e. 60,000-80,000 words. I have participated in NaNoWriMo 3 times so far, and I have never made it to 50,000. And this is nonfiction / academic stuff. (But, luckily, I don't have a deadline.)
Over the last 2 weeks, I've done a lot of research and note-taking, and I already have just over 7,000 words of notes and quotes.
I will do this.

P.S. I realize this doesn't really fit the Creative Writing trend in here - but sooner or later my energy levels won't be as high, and I will be in dire need of multiple kicks in the pants. Feel free to kick away.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:02 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

^Academic writing is still writing, in my book.
Also, hello thread. I'm trying (again) to make a real effort to write creatively during the semester. I'm taking a poetry workshop, so I'm accountable for writing poems and exercises, but I'm trying to focus on short fiction as well. I've had 3-4 short stories stagnating since early summer. I guess my problem is that I'm willing to write poems that don't quite work and then hone them until they do, but for some reason I expect fiction to work on the first go, and get discouraged when it doesn't. Tell me I'm being ridiculous.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:09 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Hi kilgore,
I won't tell you you're being ridiculous. But consider this: Everyone has the right to write shitloads of rubbish, and sometimes it's just a matter of filtering it a bit to find the gems. Also, some of my best writing (as judged by others) was done half-awake, scribbling down stuff that sounded ridiculous to myself. And recently I re-read my MA thesis and realized that now, 3 years later, and with the appropriate distance, it's not half as bad as I remembered it. See?
If you ever feel like swapping bits of creative writing and exchanging feedback, PM me. :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:25 pm 
Grandfathered In

I don't think it's ridiculous at all, but I do think it's incorrect. Things take time. And you can't know everything about what you're writing until you've finished writing it. (And maybe not even then.)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:08 pm 
Grandfathered In

9/29: √

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:25 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Go, FF!

Phoenix: you're the raddest. I might take you up on that.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:21 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Yay!

Gonna give myself a little kick in the pants today, because I need to re-edit a paper before I send it.
Including a brand-new table of contents, because none of the page references are accurate anymore.
Bleh.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:00 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Done! My MA thesis is going to be published, and I even found a halfway decent stock image to use as cover illustration (which makes it kind of look like your average 70s SF paperback).
I'm actually going to be a published author! :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:29 am 
WELFARIST!

Awesome, Phoenix!

Yeah, KT, like footie says, good writing takes time and development. If only our ideas came wrapped in all the right words the first go in one lightening bolt then writing would be easy! But it's the opposite. One of my teachers told me he wrote seventeen drafts of his novel before it was ready, another poetry teacher commisserated when I complained about how hard endings are to write, and that sometimes it has taken two years to arrive at an idea to close things and he said sometimes he has the same problem.

Glad to hear you're going in a workshop. I really enjoyed my workshop days and learned a lot and was constantly inspired!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:22 pm 
Grandfathered In

9/30: √

But I need to step back and actually figure out what's going on in the story. I'm sure there's some value in just writing and seeing where it leads, but I think my energy is better spent making a real plan for this chunk of the story.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:54 pm 
WELFARIST!

yeah, I have to do that too, footie. I don't really count my production by how many words I write per session, but I try to put in a couple of hours every weekday and that usually includes revising, planning, plotting, organizing, re-re-re-re-re-re-reading&writing ad nauseum and so on. Just whatever forward progress I can make, regardless of whether or not a new word is written on a given day. I mean, with poetry, my word production could be, like 50 and that could take four hours (or whatevs) so only in the early draft stages do I see word counts as a measure of progress and really only with long work (i.e., if novel NaNoing).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 591 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24  Next