| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 424 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Guide to being vegan at Starbucks
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:42 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I miss the Lucy's cookies...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:22 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

starrynight87 wrote:
ashley wrote:
It irritated me more when they quietly discontinued the noodle box. Not because I was really a fan of it, but because it was a food option other than a plain bagel.

PS, please get peanut butter for your bagels, starbucks.

They did?!?

Yeah. They took it off the menu.

By the way, thanks for the chicken in the hummus box, Starbucks. Vegetarians would definitely not be into a hummus box, so wise choice there. (Who makes these decisions?!)

I also want to point out that peanut butter is present in the "protein box" (whatever), so obviously they have a peanut butter supplier. My coworker bought that box for lunch the other day, and it came with one of those little packets of Jason's peanut butter. Why can't they sell those individually?! Except I don't want that gross honey peanut butter, but I have faith that they could get the plain kind if they wanted it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:17 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

interrobang?! wrote:
I've had coffee in 4 places in the past couple weeks. Not something I ordinarily do, but it happened. 2 chains, 2 independents. None charged extra for soy. 'Sup with your coffee, Americaland?

fork that. Free soy and tonnes of sexy Scottish people? I'm moving to your neighborhood.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:05 am 

I know this doesn't help many, but I'm getting a Pret A Manger next door to my office. Does anyone in Americaland know if they do soy lattes? It seems like they would. I see they do chai lattes, and I see that they have free soy, but I don't see mention of soy lattes. The UK Pret site lists hot drinks and specifies Alpro soya for lattes, but the American site doesn't list a hot drinks menu.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:11 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

missmuffcake wrote:
I miss the Lucy's cookies...

At my job, we have a self service snack room. There seems to be a rotation of what gets stocked on the shelves, and just last week I noticed they had these cookies. Never saw them in Starbucks, but I am loving them now! They have chocolate chip and oatmeal.

I will do my best to make sure they STAY in the rotation. I will buy them all!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:41 pm 

I've never seen Lucy's Cookies at Starbuck's, but I have to agree, they're pretty good! I even found them randomly at Marshall's, but a few days later I saw them on sale at the Co-Op for cheaper!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:08 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

We just got word that Canadian Starbucks will also be doing away with free soy. My coworker and I spent more time than is healthy ranting about it yesterday.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:15 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

On the plus side: we have several Argo Tea locations in New York now. Tea that actually tastes like tea instead of acid indifference, and they have free soy and almond milk.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:32 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

mumbles wrote:
On the plus side: we have several Argo Tea locations in New York now. Tea that actually tastes like tea instead of acid indifference, and they have free soy and almond milk.

ordinarily i think tea is for the weak, but pumpkin chai. that is all.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:37 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Now we fight about tea.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:50 pm 

i swear my decaf usually ends up as full caf most days lately....:/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:08 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

mumbles wrote:

oooh they have a location right near the bank I go to for work and now I think I may need to go get a caffeine fix! a quick check of their website makes me want some iced somethin...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:26 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

So, the local coffee shop down the street that I thought didn't charge for soy...charged me 70 cents for it yesterday. :( Apparently they were supposed to be charging all along but the owner hadn't been charging me. His son did. Made my drink more expensive than Starbucks, but I'd rather buy local when I can.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:02 pm 
WELFARIST!

karichelle wrote:
So, the local coffee shop down the street that I thought didn't charge for soy...charged me 70 cents for it yesterday. :( Apparently they were supposed to be charging all along but the owner hadn't been charging me. His son did. Made my drink more expensive than Starbucks, but I'd rather buy local when I can.

70 cents for soy is a lot! At that price, you might as well buy your own soy milk and bring it with you.

I'm pretty sure Starbucks is the only place I've been that charges extra for soy milk. Does Peets charge extra? I know that Au Bon Pain doesn't and they also have a decent amount of vegan food. If they can do it, why can't Starbucks?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:09 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i think fee is the one who long ago recommended carrying soy milk in a hip flask, and i still think that's the best solution.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:36 pm 

Mr. Shankly wrote:
karichelle wrote:

70 cents for soy is a lot! At that price, you might as well buy your own soy milk and bring it with you.

I'm pretty sure Starbucks is the only place I've been that charges extra for soy milk. Does Peets charge extra? I know that Au Bon Pain doesn't and they also have a decent amount of vegan food. If they can do it, why can't Starbucks?

Is ABP good? I was wondering this today. There's one next to my Starbucks. And a Panera across the street. And soon to be a Pret A Manger. I'm in chain heaven. Sbux is my favorite though. I'm tempted to get a second cup today while I still can.

Actually, I'm starting to feel pretty ambivalent on the whole thing, kind of like a toddler that throws a fit and then falls asleep. $0.60 will add up, but I really, really enjoy it though. I think the best PR move for Sbux would be making soy free across the board though. Then they can just say, oh, it's no longer a reward because everyone gets free soymilk.

I should be in marketing.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:52 pm 
WELFARIST!

ndpittman wrote:
Is ABP good? I was wondering this today. There's one next to my Starbucks. And a Panera across the street. And soon to be a Pret A Manger. I'm in chain heaven. Sbux is my favorite though. I'm tempted to get a second cup today while I still can.

Actually, I'm starting to feel pretty ambivalent on the whole thing, kind of like a toddler that throws a fit and then falls asleep. $0.60 will add up, but I really, really enjoy it though. I think the best PR move for Sbux would be making soy free across the board though. Then they can just say, oh, it's no longer a reward because everyone gets free soymilk.

I should be in marketing.

I haven't tried any of their coffee drinks but I like their coffees. They have a coffee table with various caffeinated and non-caffeinated coffees usually a breakfast/morning blend, hazelnut, vanilla and regular. They usually have soy milk in one of the regular containers with the milk, half and half and cream but if you don't see it, go up to someone who works there and ask for soy milk- I've noticed that the one in Cambridge has started to keep theirs behind the counter. I really like it and it's super cheap, I pay maybe $2 for a medium coffee.

Panera also has soy milk and can make some coffee drinks that are vegan.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:19 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Mr. Shankly wrote:
Does Peets charge extra?

They do, $0.50 in espresso drinks. You can get a free splash in your coffee though.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:30 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

acr wrote:
i think fee is the one who long ago recommended carrying soy milk in a hip flask, and i still think that's the best solution.

but if i use the flask for soy milk, where do i put my booze?

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:17 pm 
WELFARIST!

bunniee wrote:
acr wrote:

but if i use the flask for soy milk, where do i put my booze?

Purse of flasks. You won't look weird.

If you have enough, it might just even look like you carry around a bunch of bananas:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:12 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Ugh, Starbucks here used to be so much better. They used to have a vegan brownie, and now it's gone. Then, there were packets of Lucy's cookies...now those are gone. Then, they had the noodle bistro box and now it is discontinued. Now, they are doing away with free soy milk with a Sbux card.

I'm super disappointed about the whole charging for soy milk thing now...I'll be writing them a letter complaining for sure! The more complaints they get, the better!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:19 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I can't remember the last time I was charged for soy when it's just for a *cup* of coffee. The local places usually charge 50 cents when you're getting a steamed drink, but not allll time... Back when Starbucks charged extra for soymilk for your cup of coffee, I'd just ask for it after I ordered from a barista, no problem.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:40 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I don't go to Starbucks that often anymore, but half the time they charge me extra for a splash of soy and half the time they don't. Annoying.

There's a local place down the street from my school that isn't really cheaper than Starbucks, but the coffee is amazing, soy is only $0.25 extra in a latte (and always free for just a splash) and they have a few vegan cookies. Also while I was in there yesterday they were playing Bikini Kill.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:56 am 
Nooch of Earl

loolie wrote:
Ugh, Starbucks here used to be so much better. They used to have a vegan brownie, and now it's gone. Then, there were packets of Lucy's cookies...now those are gone. Then, they had the noodle bistro box and now it is discontinued. Now, they are doing away with free soy milk with a Sbux card.

I'm super disappointed about the whole charging for soy milk thing now...I'll be writing them a letter complaining for sure! The more complaints they get, the better!

FIRST they came for the brownies and we didn't speak up.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:22 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Tzippy wrote:
lavawitch wrote:
But where are all these locally owned businesses? In about a 30mile range here, we have SB or a shop owned by Bible thumpers (seriously--by going in you agree to let them try to "save" you; that's part of their mission).

We have something kind of like that here, except I think they manage to do it with proselytizing: http://www.remedycoffee.com/ (to be fair, though, I haven't actually been there).

I've been in there, but never actually bought any coffee. I was there for a decidedly un-Jesusy event in the back venue space. It smelled nice.

Also, screw Starbucks! I'm going to buy all my lattes at the place that has kapop or I'm going to start my own shop with a dugong on the logo.

"God said, kill and eat!" ~ my grandmother

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 424 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 17  Next