| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NYT: Vegan Food Has Gone Mainstream
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:36 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Quote:
In fact, from power tables in Beverly Hills to pubs in the San Fernando Valley, the surging popularity of plant-based diets is drastically changing the dining landscape. That shift is under way in various cities around the world, but it’s happening in an explosive way in and around Los Angeles: at the elite gastronome-magnets, at casual gathering spots and everywhere in between.

I could do without all the mentions of how pretty and blond everyone is, but it IS an article about celebrities, more or less. I also question how many of the new vegan options are really celebrity driven versus just responding to demand.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/26/dinin ... ref=dining

Post subject: Re: NYT: Vegan Food Has Gone Mainstream
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:00 am 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i am sometimes wary of publications like the times getting SoCal a-listers all up in my vegan, because i'm afraid half the world will then decide it's an elitist fad like scientology or high colonics. but this article is pretty good, and so far the comments are 98% positive and reasonable. also, buffalo cauliflower sounds awesome, and i really hope werner herzog yells at me at a dinner party someday.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:22 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Yeah, I guess I only gave my complaints. It's a pretty good article. I like how they talk about the crappy food options vegans have to put up with, and how vegan diners are demanding better food.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:41 am 
Semen Strong

Its not mainstream until I can get it in a drive-through.

My biggest vegan pet peeve is that I miss the convenience of mainstream foods, especially with a kidlet. On a busy day, I can't just get a veggie burger and fries and eat it while I figure out how to do whatever comes next. I have to figure out our food sitch ahead of time and pack a lunch or power bars or puffs for every event.

Tell me how that is mainstream again?

Also "luminous-skinned sylphs who seem to have floated in from a Fashion Week catwalk" makes me stabby. How are these sylphs mainsteam? Have you seen America?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:25 am 
Grandfathered In

According to the culture vultures, veganism has been "going mainstream" for about 10 years now.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:37 am 
rowdily playing checkers

Veganism has been going mainstream for years, but what's interesting here is that veganism going mainstream is going mainstream. Writing about how veganism is going mainstream isn't just for the snooty, elitist MSM anymore! Now you can read about it on my rustic blog, Yesterday Snooze. Also on my blog, you can see advertisements featuring attractive young women wearing "Who Farted?" t-shirts.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:45 am 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

"rustic blog" = mumbles on his stoop with some crayons and a garfield notebook.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:30 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Yeah, none of what's on the article is relevant to me. I'd prefer that they focus on real vegans and not celebrities dining at restaurants I could probably only ever afford once in a blue moon.

Tofulish wrote:

My biggest vegan pet peeve is that I miss the convenience of mainstream foods, especially with a kidlet. On a busy day, I can't just get a veggie burger and fries and eat it while I figure out how to do whatever comes next.

Red Robin has a vegan Boca burger now. You can build your own burger on their website and then just do takeout. Also, every few weeks I go to In-N-Out and get the veggie burger sans spread w/ fries and I'll just eat that. Not healthy, but it's only a couple bucks and not too shabby. Especially if you stuff your fries in the bun.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:36 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

nickvicious wrote:
Yeah, none of what's on the article is relevant to me. I'd prefer that they focus on real vegans and not celebrities dining at restaurants I could probably only ever afford once in a blue moon.

Tofulish wrote:

My biggest vegan pet peeve is that I miss the convenience of mainstream foods, especially with a kidlet. On a busy day, I can't just get a veggie burger and fries and eat it while I figure out how to do whatever comes next.

Red Robin has a vegan Boca burger now. You can build your own burger on their website and then just do takeout. Also, every few weeks I go to In-N-Out and get the veggie burger sans spread w/ fries and I'll just eat that. Not healthy, but it's only a couple bucks and not too shabby. Especially if you stuff your fries in the bun.

Denny's has vegan burgers too. Chipotle and even Taco bell are also doable. The fast food situation could certainly be better but it's not impossible.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:41 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

The Denny's vegan burger is Amy's too...yum. We eat at Chipotle the most when we're road-tripping. You can also order pizza from Papa John's on a smartphone. The veggie pizza with no cheese is vegan, the breadsticks are too, and even the garlic "butter." That's our lazy hotel food.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:58 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

Yeah, I think fast food becomes less of a problem all the time. There's always a Taco Bell or Subway around, if not something better like Chipotle, Togo's, Panera, etc.

Around here, almost all of the other fast food Mexican places have vegan options (Del Taco, Jimboy's, Baja Fresh) too. Many of the pizza places are okay sans cheese.

I guess it's only the burger places that are holding out, but I have never once felt deprived for not being able to eat McDonald's or Burger King.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:31 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

So yeah it's true that there are fast-food options, but most of those in my area aren't drive-through, which is not a big deal until you have a baby!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:51 pm 
Semen Strong

Kiddo wrote:
So yeah it's true that there are fast-food options, but most of those in my area aren't drive-through, which is not a big deal until you have a baby!

QFT. Yes, I could go to Chipotle or a restaurant with take-out options (and we do), but I would have to leave the dog home, take the kid out of the car, put on my carrier, get her into it, walk to the store, wait on line, order and pay, while balancing the kid and getting money out of my wallet etc, and then drag the food and the kidlet to the car, take her out of the carrier take the carrier off and drive home with her unhappy until she falls asleep in the car seat.

As opposed to a drive-through, where I would have Cuddles and Leela in the back after the park, L falls asleep, I go through the drive through, order, pay and get my food and eat it before I get home. Best. Day. Ever.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:23 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Tofulish wrote:
Kiddo wrote:

QFT. Yes, I could go to Chipotle or a restaurant with take-out options (and we do), but I would have to leave the dog home, take the kid out of the car, put on my carrier, get her into it, walk to the store, wait on line, order and pay, while balancing the kid and getting money out of my wallet etc, and then drag the food and the kidlet to the car, take her out of the carrier take the carrier off and drive home with her unhappy until she falls asleep in the car seat.

As opposed to a drive-through, where I would have Cuddles and Leela in the back after the park, L falls asleep, I go through the drive through, order, pay and get my food and eat it before I get home. Best. Day. Ever.

I don't have a car so I'm not interested in drive-thru, but I'm still stuck sometimes when I need to put dinner on the table and it's a whole ordeal to find special vegan ingredients. I usually plan a week in advance to make sure we have nutritious meals, but if any of that planning backfires, I'm challenged by the stores that are a quick walk to my place that don't carry things like tempeh, miso, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:41 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I suppose we do have it pretty good in Southern California. I travel a lot, but I find most big cities are pretty accomodating (except for Vegas. Stupid vegas. Not all vegans can afford the Wynn)

I live in orange county, and we do have some awesome places here, but nowhere near as many as LA or SD does. We gots the 3 chains (Veggie Grill, Native Foods, and one Loving Hut - all amazingly good) and a few all veg restaurants (avanti, 118 degrees etc) but not nearly as many as big cities do.

My partner is Omni. I cook 100% vegan at home, so when we go out he wants Omni food, which I understand. We do local fast casual most of the time, or small Thai/mexican food places.

There are a lot more options now than there used to be, lemme tell you! Places really are becoming more and more accomodating. So we have a whole list of places we can both enjoy, that I know have vegan options. Gets boring ordering the same damn thing all the time though.

God. I really really really really really wanna go to one of my favorite vegan restaurants. Really. I don't have anybody to go with me. I need some veggie friends. My omni friends have eaten at those places, but don't really prefer them, so we never go. When we go to LA, we never eat at any of the amazeballs vegan friendly places, since we are always with omni friends. Sadface.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:45 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I'm always realy annoyed that there's no veggie grill or native foods in san diego. it seems so silly!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:24 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Tofulish wrote:

http://www.burgerville.com/our-food/menu/
Spicy Anasazi Bean Burger
Yukon & White Bean Basil Burger
(vegan minus cheese and ailoi, gluten free buns avail)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:32 pm 

unethical_vegan wrote:
Tofulish wrote:

http://www.burgerville.com/our-food/menu/
Spicy Anasazi Bean Burger
Yukon & White Bean Basil Burger
(vegan minus cheese and ailoi, gluten free buns avail)

And those of us who don't live in their very small area are SOL :(

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:26 pm 
Semen Strong

Yeah, sorry, a chain around freaking Portland isn't mainstream.

Veganism may be mainstream in Portland though. QED drive-through indicates mainstream.

Once vegan food is available in drive-thrus through the country, I'd consider veganism mainstream for the US.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:37 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

This http://www.scpr.org/programs/airtalk/20 ... emingly-e/ Was on NPR here in LA today... I felt like the host was SO condescending, like he couldn't believe anyone was really vegan for ethical reasons. LA, man...

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.”
--Margaret Meade

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:31 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Taco bell has good options! Drive thru! Fourth meal!

Generally, I stay away from fast food. However, if I am in a pinch, or coming home from a club/bar and had to much to drink, or am travelling, I do taco bell. Oh yeah, AND I FREAKING LOVE TACO BELL.

The beans, corn and flour tortillas are all vegan. Get anything with no meat, sub beans, fresco style. Fresco style means they leave out the cheese and sub chunky tomato salsa (it's yummy too). Best part is, all employees know what fresco is, so they are less likely to fork up and put cheese on it, rather than just asking for 'no cheese'

Here are some options I have done (sometimes I put daiya on at home).

-Tostada fresco style
-Bean burrito (green or red), Fresco style
-Bean burrito (green or red) , fresco style, add lettuce
-Chips, side of rice, side of beans
-bowl (not all locations) with no meat, cheese etc, fresco style
-7 layer burrito fresco style
-bean burrito, fresco style, add potatoes and adk them to PRESS/GRILL IT **THIS IS AMAZEBALLS**
-Cinnimon Twists (no meat is in the fryer so totally animal free)
-Potato taco, fresco style, add tomatos
-Taco Salad, no meat, fresco style, (extra tomatoes, salsa, add rice)
-Cantina Burrito or bowl, no cheese, no sauce (I sub green sauce)

I usually try to watch my calorie intake and just get a tostada and/or burrito fresco style.

The new Cantina Burrito is surprisingly yummy.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:04 pm 
***LIES!!!***

The Cantina Burrito is very yummy and very expensive for Taco Bell! Sadly (or fortunately) there's no drive through at the Taco Bell around the corner from me, otherwise I'd be eating it much more often. The Fresco 7 Layer Burrito is my usual go-to.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:10 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

ijustdiedinside wrote:
I'm always realy annoyed that there's no veggie grill or native foods in san diego. it seems so silly!

I am really surprised to learn this! San Diego is such a big metro area and it seems such an easy jump from LA. I guess San Diego doesn't have Veggie Grill or Native Foods for the same reason Sacramento doesn't...just because.

I have no illusions that Chico will have the likes of either place anytime soon.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:10 pm 

The burrito is high calorie too. The bowl isn't too bad. You do need to get both without that cilantro sauce, which has both milk and egg in it. But even without sauce, the burrito is crazy high.

I didn't think the bowl had much flavor though...they seem to be depending on that sauce for the flavor. Sad since something with 2 kinds of salsa and guacamole on it should have flavor without a creamy dressing.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:26 pm 
***LIES!!!***

karichelle wrote:
You do need to get both without that cilantro sauce, which has both milk and egg in it.

God dammit. I have been misled.