| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 88  Next
 Post subject: Re: dumb questions related to pregnancy and babies and stuff
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:14 pm 
Semen Strong

I'll second Ariann's recommendation, because I've seen Malka motor around in her super cool Pumas!

For me, I went to our localish consignment stores and just tried shoes on Leela. We ended up finding a great pair of Pedipeds (sized 6 to 12 months) and another pair that were size 4. I think its great to be able to try them on, and that said, I have no issue with used leather.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:30 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I might have to get them in red for the next size up: http://www.amazon.com/Future-M2-SF-Snea ... =baby+puma

I have no idea how baby shoe sizes work. Some shoes seem to be in month sizes, some are in numbers (Malka is currently wearing a size 4), and the numbers may or may not correspond to lengths of feet, but it seems to differ by brand.

Now we're looking at the potential for waterproof winter baby boots. Do those exist?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:52 pm 
Semen Strong

Pediped has these. I saw a few at the consignment store, and hope to score some at the Edison event in October :) Sadly they aren't vegan...
http://www.pediped.com/Products/Flex-br ... S1903.aspx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:40 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

$79.00 for baby shoes? Oy! I'm not ready for this.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:52 am 
Married to the wolfman

The Emperor had a pair of Kamik boots that we really liked for rain when he was littler. He wore them in snow once or twice with socks and was fine too. (We don't get snow here.) Pretty much scaled down Wellingtons.

They definitely WERE harder for him to walk in than normal shoes at first... I think it was the combo of how tall they were and the fact that the soles aren't really flexible. But they cost like $30, and it rains a LOT here, and he got used to it.

The annoying thing about Pedipeds is that they're like 95% synthetic. It seems like it would be so easy for them to veganize their design!

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:46 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I just bought Grey some stride rite shoes, I honestly didn't even think about if they were vegan or not, I am guessing not. I couldn't believe when I became the person that spent $50 on baby shoes.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:16 am 
Semen Strong

The used Pedipeds were $12.99 and the Koala Kids were $1.99 and they're in great condition. I just can't spend $40 on shoes for someone growing so fast, unless I have to.

The nice thing is that we know so many moms here and everyone has offered us nice shoes, clothes etc. Yesterday I got the best Kelty hiking backpack for free, so I am jonesing for a big hike to try it out on.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:25 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

While I won't rule out used shoes, shoes are the only thing that I almost always buy new for my daughter. As I see it, everyone walks a bit differently, so you wear in shoes differently, and it seems important that you wear your shoes in yourself. I don't want to risk altering my daughter's way of walking. Of course, a lot of stuff I see in consignment stores was obviously never (or hardly ever) worn, so that is different. But in general, I buy new shoes even though I buy almost all her clothes used.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:01 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

We bought a pair of Vans last month and Ada grew out of them in three weeks. Three weeks! She has been in Native rubber shoes until this week and then yesterday I got her Cienta shoes because they were in a neighborhood store and it was getting too cold for those Native ones. But yeah, I'm already over buying shoes.
Chooze shoes are labeled as vegan and they have boots for toddlers. Just pricey! Although there are some casual shoes on sale now on their website.
Oh, and when I went to the Toms website there is only one pair of vegan shoes now for toddlers. Boo. I wish I bought the calculus ones way back when I saw them.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:23 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I hate kids' shoes - they are so expensive and kids' feet change so quickly (and unpredictably). Lucy was in the same size shoe for about 18 months and then went through 2 or 3 different sizes in a few months.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:35 pm 
Semen Strong

I hadn't really thought about used shoes shaping the way a kid walks, but thank you so much for the input. From the shoes I see in the consignment events, it really seems like they are all barely used because the kids outgrow them so fast.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:24 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

We've had a lot of success with these Keens: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LX ... PDKIKX0DER

Around $35 (still pretty ridiculous, but not as bad as other brands), very sturdy and durable, and adorable as all get out. We get so many compliments on them. I'm just about to order his third pair!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:33 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

We have a pair of chooze but the sole is really stiff, if grey were not walking or had established his walk they would be fine, but too clunky for right now. We got those 50% off in June. Grey also has giant feet, he is already in a size 6.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:42 pm 
Saggy Butt

How do you find out your baby's size? I don't understand how the sizing works. Do I just have to take him into a store and try on shoes? That sounds absolutely awful.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:59 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

For the first pair or two of shoes, I just guessed from looking at her feet next to various shoes, and I was putting her in too small of shoes, as it turns out. I finally went to a good children's shoe store where they measured my daughter's feet, and told me what size to buy. I usually buy about a half size up to make sure there is room to grow.

I really should buy some Keens for her. I've heard great things about them from a couple local mom friends, so thanks for reminding me, flava. I've had good luck with Teva sandals and Crocs so far.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:04 pm 
Married to the wolfman

We resisted Crocs for a long time as solipsistnation (who is not usually the person getting the Emperor's shoes on and off) thinks they're tacky. Now? I would shiv a guy who tried to take E's away. He can get them on and off himself and I don't have to find socks before we leave the house. Oh man.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:12 pm 

Has anyone found a vegan version of shoes like these: http://www.hippychick.com/index.cfm/pro ... e-dots-855. You know, the ones that are kinda like moccasins? Freya's doing the shuffle/cruising and lots of walking holding onto fingers, but then her socks get nasty when we're out and about. I don't want to put any hard-soled shoes on her until she's walking though.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:48 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

refinnej wrote:
Has anyone found a vegan version of shoes like these: http://www.hippychick.com/index.cfm/pro ... e-dots-855. You know, the ones that are kinda like moccasins?

Try Soft Star - http://www.softstarshoes.com/vegan-ramb ... green.html. Isabooties is another option I've read about, though I will confess I haven't tried either. ETA link: http://www.urthchild.com/brand-isabooties.html

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:20 pm 

Thanks! i ran across Isa booties on several sites when Googling. they seem to be well liked. I may have to sell a kidney to pay for them.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:05 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Isa Booties went out of business as far as I can tell. You can only find a few of their styles in extremely limited sizes now from other retailers. The Puma shoes were our solution to the soft-soled moccasin and saving Malka's socks/giving her a little more protection on outdoor surfaces. They are very soft soled, very easy on/off.

There are definitely vegan moccasins on Etsy, though - if you have a good idea of the size, that'd be a good place to look.

We also looked at Crocs - no good for a first shoe, but maybe sometime down the line.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:24 pm 
Semen Strong

Yes, we tried Crocs on too, and they wouldn't have worked for L because they were so cumbersome and thick soled, but I can see that they would work with an established walker.

The only reason I went to buy shoes is that we had tried a whole bunch of shoes that we were given, and she hated them all and would sit and cry and try to get them off her feet. With the Pedipeds, she has been happily toddling up a storm, even outdoors.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:32 pm 
***LIES!!!***

That might also be development and getting used to the idea, though. Malka hated her shoes at first and now begs to have the same shoes put on. You might want to try your hand-me-down shoes again and give them a few more chances.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:37 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

new dumb question: I'm going to do my glucose tolerance screening on Saturday morning, for anyone who remembers their test - how sick did it make you feel? Is it better to have eaten just before going so you're not just putting sugar in your belly on it's own or not?
... I'm not too concerned about failing, though of course I can't really know, and it will be good to get peace of mind one way or the other, but the test itself is worrying me!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:10 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

My midwife told me that I should have had a nice protein-ful breakfast before I came in...rather then the sugar cereal - No one told me!!! I didn't feel sick at all, it kind of tasted like flat orange soda to me.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:30 pm 
Semen Strong

It tasted like flat orange soda for me too. I had tofu scramble before the screening, as directed, but I failed it any way. I didn't think it was a big deal at all.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 88  Next