| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4078 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 164  Next
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:56 pm 
WELFARIST!

I can't believe some people in the comments section on Jezebel are saying people are reading too much into the dress up day. The idea is bad on so many fronts!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:35 am 
A gift from the crasshole god.

This is kind of a stupid thing to make me angry but goddamn it peas me off. Has anybody seen the shiitake on facebook about "The Gap" telling men to make their girlfriends put on a bikini and if they have the perfect body they will have a little gap under their asparagus or some shiitake? As if we didn't have enough shiitake being bombarded at us about how we should look perfect, here is something else to measure our worth against. Yay.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:36 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Sarah-Jane wrote:
This is kind of a stupid thing to make me angry but goddamn it peas me off. Has anybody seen the shiitake on facebook about "The Gap" telling men to make their girlfriends put on a bikini and if they have the perfect body they will have a little gap under their asparagus or some shiitake? As if we didn't have enough shiitake being bombarded at us about how we should look perfect, here is something else to measure our worth against. Yay.

UGHHHH.

When my bff's husband (then fiance) was in grad school, he became best friends with this unbelievable douche, and started becoming a douche himself. She just let all the crazy misogynistic crepe slide to keep the peace, but when I visited for a week I let him have it with both barrels any chance I got.

One day the guys were showing us a "hilarious trick" they had learned: you put your hands in the "hang loose" sign, thumbs & pinkies out, rest of fingers in like a fist. Put your thumbs together tip to tip. Apparently if a girl's asparagus didn't fit between your pinkies you "shouldn't" fork her. You know, for your dignity and manly pride.
They were quite proud of themselves.

So I made a similar gesture, minus thumbs: Make fists, stick out pinkies, put thumb sides of fists together, and said "Funny, I use a similar one for guys.... *looked at them both closely* ...guess YOU'RE both out of the running."

My friend pretty much peed herself laughing. Neither dude had any response. I know, I know, fighting fire with fire helps nothing, but it felt damn good at the time. "Oh, isn't it hilarious to receive constant societal pressure about what size your body and/or its parts should be? And isn't it extra hilarious when people make mean comments about how your body doesn't fit the standards of attractiveness? ... sorry, what? It's NOT hilarious? Oh, I'm sorry. I thought that's what we were doing, because clearly you find this hilarious. MY BAD!"

Sometimes it's fun to be a crasshole to crassholes. I think the crasshole friend was just plain offended and thought I was a bisque; fiance was smart enough to know I was more trying to say "since when are you That Guy?"

I love those delusional first few minutes of the day where I grossly underestimate my love of sleep. -lurky mclurkerson

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:03 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Motion 312. fork this shiitake.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:19 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I talked to someone who considers herself a feminist because she slaps her boyfriend. That's it--she doesn't know much about feminism otherwise, but since she's the violent one, it's a feminist act. Urrrrrggggghhhhhh....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:23 pm 
A Bad Person

Domestic violence is feminist now? Who knew!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:40 am 
Not NOT A Furry

brian wrote:
Domestic violence is feminist now? Who knew!

Girl power! Barf.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:37 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

SassyOh wrote:
I talked to someone who considers herself a feminist because she slaps her boyfriend. That's it--she doesn't know much about feminism otherwise, but since she's the violent one, it's a feminist act. Urrrrrggggghhhhhh....

Wow, that's forked up. I was just thinking about how annoying it is when someone brings up feminism and another person is like "yeah, I believe in equality! I mean, if a girl hits a guy, he should be allowed to hit her back!" If your feminism is shitty and banal enough to be about who is allowed to hit who, then your feminism sucks.

I hope her boyfriend feels safe enough to leave or get some kind of help.

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:48 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

Tofulish wrote:
This high school has a Predator and Prey Day. Girls dress up in animal print and the boys dress up in camo.

http://jezebel.com/5943627/high-schools ... imal-print

To Catch A Predator: Gone Wild.

And then I show up dressed like the alien Predator and tear them all to shreds (unless Arnold shows up).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:01 pm 
Semen Strong

Damned feminists making dicks smaller: http://www.thenation.com/blog/170120/fe ... r-penises#

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:21 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I am about to go absolutely apeshit on someone posting on my friend's Facebook saying that Planned Parenthood does nothing but "murder babies", even with multiple people in the thread saying that they get birth control pills and have had breast exams and received all sorts of other services from PP. I keep telling this dude that if he wants to present this information as a fact, he needs to back it up with evidence. He's now telling me that "the liberal mind does not accept facts". OW MY RATIONALITY.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:31 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Every time I go anywhere in public here I'm getting hit on. Some of it is polite ("Hey, you're really pretty"), which I can handle, and I get it; you gotta at least try to flirt, and as long as you're respectful, I don't usually mind, but other times it's really, incredibly rude.
Like this exchange I had with some student on the university of Edinburgh campus.

"You are very pretty."
"Um..thank you..."
"Ali believes we should get to know each other better, because Ali thinks you're very pretty. Do you agree?"
"Um..."
"My flat is just around the corner." Creepy smile.
"Seriously? I'm leaving now. Way to be a jackass."

I don't get it. Do I scream stupid American or something? Is it really a thing to hit on the foreigners because people think they're stupid/only looking at the accent/whatever?
Because, yeah, I'm American. I accept that. But shiitake. I'm not an idiot, and I'm definitely not interested in having sex with any of you. I have a boyfriend. I chose him for many reasons. And no, I am not going to go along with "Well, he's halfway around the world. What he doesn't know can't hurt him." because it'll hurt me. I don't get hit on this much at home, but I also have specific places I go that don't lend themselves to me being hit on or flirted with.

Leave me alone. All of you. If you want to talk to me because you think I'll sleep with you, don't bother.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:53 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Which country are you in, miss d?

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:04 pm 
Semen Strong

If memory serves, she is visiting Scotland (Edinburgh) from the US, looking into studying there.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:31 pm 
Semen Strong

Convicted Rapist Seeks Visitation with Victim's Child.

Criminal Court judge accepted a plea of 16 years probation for the rape of a 14 year old, and then remanded the case to Family Court. Because the Family Court ordered the rapist to pay child support, he now wants visitation. The victim's attorney is saying that this is a Criminal Court matter not a Family Court one, and that the Criminal Court should have ordered restitution in the amount of the child support needed for the life of the child, rather than remanding it to Family Court where it would be treated like an ordinary custody dispute, giving the rapist the rights of a biological father.

Spoiler: show
Melendez pleaded guilty to the rape in 2011 and was sentenced to 16 years probation. Judge Thomas McGuire, who oversaw the criminal case against Melendez, remanded the case to Family Court in the Spring where Melendez was ordered to pay $110 a week in child support to the victim.

Now, Melendez has filed a petition in Family Court arguing that if he is forced to pay child support, he should have the right of visitation, a situation the victim's attorney says would be outrageously unjust.

"Once I learned that the judge ordered a rapist to go off to Family Court and pay child support, which is pretty outrageous - in a sense it decriminalizes the behavior, or frames it other than a serious crime - I got on board and filed a motion to reverse the judge's order," said Wendy Murphy, a criminal attorney and academic at the New England School of Law.

"My client is very worried she'll have to send her daughter off to this man she doesn't know, and tell her she'll be going off on visits with the man who raped her mother and created her. We're fiercely fighting against concept of even being in Family Court.

In August, Murphy filed a motion with the judge asking him to reverse his decision and to send Melendez to Criminal Court and ask him to pay restitution fees equaling the amount of child support he would owe in Family Court. Melendez would have no parental rights if he were sent to Criminal Court for restitution, she said.

"She wants nothing to do with this guy," Murphy said. "She doesn't want a 16 year relationship with him. He can request visitation, he can have potential involvement in the child's education, have access to the child, control where (the victim) lives. We don't want this in Family Court."

Sometimes it feels like rape is the only crime where other people feel free to say that it wasn't "really" a crime, despite the fact that it clearly falls within the wording of the statute.

fork you "legitimate rape" people.

I know you wouldn't consider my rape legitimate, because I knew my attacker, but it doesn't make it any less rape.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:12 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Disgusting.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:32 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Jigglypuff wrote:
Which country are you in, miss d?

Just left Edinburgh. I'm in Cardiff for the next night and day. So far, people have been very sweet, but I've only talked to two people...

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:40 am 
WELFARIST!

Celebrity bashing for imperfections and personal growth. I just read about how Christina Aguilera told her record label to pretty much get over the fact that she's "fat" and that she's not up for changing her weight anymore. Then I read the comments (why?) and there was some pretty negative stuff in there. The first comment that this commenter posted was, "Good thing the first decade of her career wasn't spent getting rich by pushing unhealthy body image on impressionable young women." I hate that some people think celebrities are somehow immune from societal pressures. People like Brittany Spears and Christina Aguilera were really young when they began their careers and not only did they have the societal pressure to look a certain way but they also had their careers on the line. They were packaged up and marketed as an object and ideal. Instead of having a somewhat small pool of people that see them, they literally had the world looking at them and people who's job it was to criticize them. This immense pressure while they were still really young is hard and I think it's not really great to put the weight of unhealthy body image on her shoulders, as if she's somehow immune to pressure. His second comment was, "How courageous to start trying to out-Adele Adele after spending so long trying to out-Britney Britney." So now that she actually is coming out against unhealthy body images, she's not allowed to say anything because another celebrity has come out against it? That's not cool. There's been a lot of people, including celebrities, who have spoken out against unhealthy body images and I don't see people jumping on them about it being a fad or one trying to outdo another celebrity. Even if she is trying to outdo another celebrity, at least this is a WAY better image to be pushing. She's also a lot older now and can demand more. I'm not even going to talk about how her ethnicity was kind of squashed.

It reminds me of a shirt I saw on a guy while on the bus earlier this year. It was just a picture of Britney Spears that says "slut" underneath it. You know what, fork you. And I haven't even touched on how celebrity shaming passes on to everyday women. If you're equating Britney Spears as a slut because all of the stuff she's been through and has done, you're equating people in similar positions as sluts and deeming them less than.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:04 pm 
ugh

Apparently the Christina Aguilera quote isn't even real.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:32 pm 
WELFARIST!

Really? Miss Representation just reposted the quote and article. I want this to be real.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:48 pm 
ugh

Whoops, I meant to include this link before: http://music-mix.ew.com/2012/10/01/chri ... -comments/

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:26 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Good news, ladies - it looks like we're allowed to eat chocolate after all (as long as it's just a teensy bit at a time)!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2012/oct/02/cadbury-crispello-chocolate-bar-women

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:28 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

A girl I volunteer with added me to facebook and when I go look at her profile the poor girl is in an argument with another friend of hers who think feminists don't think enough about the men, and women who dress like sluts and hookers should expect to be treated like shiitake :/ I'm throwing out all these statistics to her and anecdotes, plus pointing out treating men like they will rape anyone at the sight of cleavage is misandrist, but she really seems adamant that we should just hate women because you can't rid the world of crassholes :/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:29 pm 
WELFARIST!

I'm only stopping on really quickly so I can't respond to the link upthread yet but I wanted to leave this here:

Quote:
“You find that along with the culture of death go all kinds of other lawbreaking. The not following good sanitary procedure, giving abortions to women who are not actually pregnant, cheating on taxes, all these kinds of things. The misuse of anesthetics so that people die or almost die. All of these things are common practice, and all that information is available for America.”- Todd Akin

http://feministing.com/2012/10/03/quote ... -pregnant/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:49 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

My freshmen are currently writing a visual analysis, and this photo came up in our conversation about iconic images. I've also been looking at lots of WWII stuff lately while gathering material for my MoFo theme, so my partner posted this on my FB wall. Interesting/disturbing, innit?

http://cratesandribbons.com/2012/09/30/the-kissing-sailor-or-the-selective-blindness-of-rape-culture-vj-day-times-square/

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4078 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 164  Next