| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vegan Crunk
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:29 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I didn't see another thread for this, perhaps they could be merged if there is one?

My book arrived on Friday and I made 2 things over the weekend. Friday night I made the tempeh carrot sandwich with the optional coleslaw and it
was really good. We sometimes find BBQ sauce too sweet but the coleslaw and tempeh calmed it down and it was so quick and easy with stuff I had in the
house.

Last night I made the dijon pecan seitan with maple mustard glaze. Dijon mustard here is different from the US so I tweaked those amounts a bit to get it
right for us, and used a bit less syrup in the glaze and it was delicious. Served it with mashed potatoes and greens.

I'm looking forward to trying more from this!

Post subject: Re: Vegan Crunk
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:36 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I don't think there's another thread, although we were discussing the book in the upcoming cookbooks thread. Here's the content information I posted there:

There's no recipe list in the contents or on the chapter dividers. The index seems pretty complete (though I know that's not the same). Here are the chapters. The parenthesis are mine. I picked out recipes that sounded interesting to me, so not necessarily representative.

1. Just the Basics - Condiments, Sauces and Faux Meats (tofu chicken, creole sausage, etc.)
2. Grits, Gravies and Such - Big Ol' Southern Breakfasts (waffles, biscuits with chocolate gravy, tofu ham with redeye gravy, etc.)
3. Don't Spoil Your Supper - Appetizers and Snacks (No Tell Rotel Dip, sweet potato sausage balls, etc.)
4. Ladies and Gentlemen Who Lunch - Salads and Sandwiches (BBQ seitan salad, pimento cheese sandwiches)
5. Soup's On - Soups and Stews (cream soups that can be used in other recipes, beef stew)
6. Come 'N' Get It - Simple Southern Suppers (Tofu Fish Fry, seitan ribs)
7. For the Potluck - Casseroles and Savory Pies (cornbread dressing, Boozy Baked Beans)
8. All the Fixin's - Savory Sides (greens, sweet potato fries, etc.)
9. Daily Brea - Biscuits, Loves and Cornbread (biscuits, hush puppy muffins, cornbread)
10. Sweet Endings - Decadent Desserts (mandarin cobbler, chocolate praline cookies)

I made the cornmeal crusted tofu stix. They were okay. My main complaint is that the breading mixture made enough for 3 or 4 times the amount of tofu called for in the recipe, so I wound up throwing a lot out. Next time I would marinate the tofu longer and make only 1/4 to 1/3 of the breading.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:04 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

This one hadn't really piqued my interest yet, but dijon pecan seitan sounds pretty great! I might have to place an order come pay day.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:19 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

You know, I think part of the issue is that there is no Look Inside feature on Amazon, from what I could tell. It's hard for me to get excited about a cookbook when I can't really see what's in it.

Being the Southern girl that I am, however, I went to Bianca's blog and saw the picture of her Brown Sugar Baked Tofu Ham (served with red eye gravy and biscuits) and placed my order right then and there. I also saw a picture of her corn casserole that looked amazing, so I can fully say I'm very excited and can't wait until this arrives at my door!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:34 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Freetahtah wrote:
You know, I think part of the issue is that there is no Look Inside feature on Amazon, from what I could tell. It's hard for me to get excited about a cookbook when I can't really see what's in it.

This is pretty much the way I am, too. I even looked for at at the Brick and Mortar bookstore (no luck) and probably wouldn't have bothered had it not been for bcakes posting the table of contents + samples. I am far too excited now, though.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:57 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Freetahtah wrote:

Being the Southern girl that I am, however, I went to Bianca's blog and saw the picture of her Brown Sugar Baked Tofu Ham (served with red eye gravy and biscuits) and placed my order right then and there. I also saw a picture of her corn casserole that looked amazing, so I can fully say I'm very excited and can't wait until this arrives at my door!

agreed, i miss the preview feature on amazon.com i'm guessing the author and/or publisher have to give permission?

either way, now that i know there is recipe for 'brown sugar baked tofu ham' i have to have this cookbook. i'm ordering it tomorrow!

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:15 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

This came today and so much of it looks fantastic and I'm kind of bummed that I have lots of leftovers that really need to get eaten before I cook anything else. I like that she seems to balance traditional with healthier in what looks like a very reasonable way. And all of the stories about her granny veganizing family favorites gives me the warm fuzzies.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:20 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

cool, like bcakes did, it would be great if you could tell us what strikes you fancy at first glance. probably a moot point since this book does not list the recipes in the table of contents or at each chapter page, but i really miss the preview function that shows that.....

p.s. is the book balanced between tofu/tempeh/seitan or does it favor one more than the other??

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:06 pm 
And you never will.

bookwormbethie wrote:
is the book balanced between tofu/tempeh/seitan or does it favor one more than the other??

I think it's pretty well balanced between them.

I have a Flickr set of a few of the recipes I made when I tested for the book (I got really lazy about taking pictures, but I wish now I had taken more), if anyone is interested:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/poopiebitc ... 028399497/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:50 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

awesome photos, lucky you for being a tester! the corn casserole looks good! did you test for the cornbread dressing recipe??

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:54 am 
And you never will.

I didn't make it, but I have eaten it a couple of times (made by Bianca) and it is really good! It reminds me a lot of my granny's dressing.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:05 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I made the pecan crusted seitan and maple mustard sauce tonight and wow! I had made up my own recipe for a similar dish before, but this one turns out much better and is easier, too. Make it. Now.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:11 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

poopiebitch, your dumplings look yummy!

I made the Cauliflower Creole for dinner tonight. It came together really quickly. It's a good and simple supper, which is fitting because it's in the Simple Southern Suppers chapter.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:41 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Just got this yesterday...wow! So many recipes I want to make! Tonight for dinner I made pigs in blanket (fat free except for tofu dogs) = yum! My picky family loved them! And I made the Cheesy Broccoli Rice Casserole. The mushroom soup which serves as a base is a total keeper...(I used olive oil instead of margarine and added some garlic). And because my hubby and kids are really picky I didn't do the nooch topping as it would be too much for them. Rather, I just added extra rice milk to the recipe and topped with daiya. It's fabulous. This book will definitely be in my regular rotation.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:47 am 
WELFARIST!

poopiebitch wrote:
I have a Flickr set of a few of the recipes I made when I tested for the book (I got really lazy about taking pictures, but I wish now I had taken more), if anyone is interested:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/poopiebitc ... 028399497/

Yum!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:55 pm 
Nailed to the V

I bought this..
:D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:42 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

J_Rice wrote:
Just got this yesterday...wow! So many recipes I want to make! Tonight for dinner I made pigs in blanket (fat free except for tofu dogs) = yum! My picky family loved them! And I made the Cheesy Broccoli Rice Casserole. The mushroom soup which serves as a base is a total keeper...(I used olive oil instead of margarine and added some garlic). And because my hubby and kids are really picky I didn't do the nooch topping as it would be too much for them. Rather, I just added extra rice milk to the recipe and topped with daiya. It's fabulous. This book will definitely be in my regular rotation.

Do a good bit of Bianca's recipes call for tofu dogs or other meat substitutes (excluding tofu, tempeh, and seitan of course). I personally do not eat meat substitutes (or use fake processed cheese) and I'm wondering now if many of her recipes call for them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:09 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

bookwormbethie wrote:
J_Rice wrote:

Do a good bit of Bianca's recipes call for tofu dogs or other meat substitutes (excluding tofu, tempeh, and seitan of course). I personally do not eat meat substitutes (or use fake processed cheese) and I'm wondering now if many of her recipes call for them.

I really don't recall any, so I'm guessing the pigs in a blanket are one of the few. Even with that, you could make your own seitan veggie dogs if you want. I don't recall many using fake cheese, either. It seems to be more of an optional thing in most recipes.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:57 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

IVe considered buying this book too, but there is no look inside feature on Amazon, and she doesnt seem to give any recipes on her blog...or am I just missing it? All I see are product reviews. :/

I am a Southerner and a vegan, so I would be interested, but would like to take a look before I buy.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:16 am 
Bathes in Braggs

so do the recipes require branded products like daiya and such, that we don't have in australia? one of the things i looove about v'con is that i don't need any special vegan products, just regular ingredients.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:32 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Daphne wrote:
IVe considered buying this book too, but there is no look inside feature on Amazon, and she doesnt seem to give any recipes on her blog...or am I just missing it? All I see are product reviews. :/

I am a Southerner and a vegan, so I would be interested, but would like to take a look before I buy.

You might want to check back earlier on her blog, I was late to the party, but there was probably a blog tour of the cookbook......

For me, I like a well organized table of contents with all the recipes listed in the front of the book, or at the very least, a plain table of contents and then all the recipes listed on each chapter's title page. From what I gather, the cookbook is not organized like this so I'm not sure how much a preview would help as the beginning of cookbooks (with or without a well organized table of contents) are going to have an intro/how to cook/ingredient overview/pantry info, etc.... in the front and while I do read that since it's fun to see what the author's personality and tone of "voice" is, that doesn't help me decide when purchasing a cookbook.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:51 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

bookwormbethie wrote:
Daphne wrote:

You might want to check back earlier on her blog, I was late to the party, but there was probably a blog tour of the cookbook......

For me, I like a well organized table of contents with all the recipes listed in the front of the book, or at the very least, a plain table of contents and then all the recipes listed on each chapter's title page. From what I gather, the cookbook is not organized like this so I'm not sure how much a preview would help as the beginning of cookbooks (with or without a well organized table of contents) are going to have an intro/how to cook/ingredient overview/pantry info, etc.... in the front and while I do read that since it's fun to see what the author's personality and tone of "voice" is, that doesn't help me decide when purchasing a cookbook.

ohhh...yeah..Im glad you mentioned that--I like my cookbooks organized the same way. Robin Robertson does a fantastic job with this in the cookbooks that I have by her. I will wait on this book...I have Paula Deens books and I can always veganize on my own just fine.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:14 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I *finally* ordered this book. I'll do my best to type out a complete list of all the recipes once it arrives ;)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:52 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Yea! Thanks guys! It's so exciting to see people talking about my book on the PPK!!!!!!!!

As for "Look Inside" not being offered on Amazon, I totally agree that that sucks. When the book was on pre-order, I assumed "Look Inside" would be offered when the book was finished printing, but it wasn't. It might just be an oversight on my publisher's part because Book Pub Co also publishes Artisan Vegan Cheese, and you can look inside that one. I'll get on that in the morning and hopefully, we can get that fixed. I love that feature when I'm browsing cookbooks online.

Sorry about the lack of a recipe list with each chapter. That's my publisher's style preference. :-(

Anyway, it's just cool to see people actually buying it!! And talking about it!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:40 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Miss Crunk wrote:
......Sorry about the lack of a recipe list with each chapter. That's my publisher's style preference. :-(

Anyway, it's just cool to see people actually buying it!! And talking about it!!

Eep, I am so embarrassed, Bianca, please do not apologize! I'm just an overly organized person (perhaps annoyingly so?!?!) and that is how I prefer cookbooks to be. However, I have plenty of cookbooks that aren't organized this way and I love them the same. I'm sure I will love your lots too! Can't wait to get my hands on your cookbook, mine shipped out yesterday, as I'm a fellow Southerner too down here in GA. Told my hubby about your "deviled eggs" (saw the pics on your blog I think) and he is very intrigued!