| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Vegan Crunk
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:29 am 
Offline
Kitchens Planning Manchester
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:18 am
Posts: 2621
Location: England
I didn't see another thread for this, perhaps they could be merged if there is one?

My book arrived on Friday and I made 2 things over the weekend. Friday night I made the tempeh carrot sandwich with the optional coleslaw and it
was really good. We sometimes find BBQ sauce too sweet but the coleslaw and tempeh calmed it down and it was so quick and easy with stuff I had in the
house.

Last night I made the dijon pecan seitan with maple mustard glaze. Dijon mustard here is different from the US so I tweaked those amounts a bit to get it
right for us, and used a bit less syrup in the glaze and it was delicious. Served it with mashed potatoes and greens.

I'm looking forward to trying more from this!

_________________
http://cookingtheveganbooks.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Crunk
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:36 pm 
Offline
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:36 pm
Posts: 607
Location: West LA
I don't think there's another thread, although we were discussing the book in the upcoming cookbooks thread. Here's the content information I posted there:

There's no recipe list in the contents or on the chapter dividers. The index seems pretty complete (though I know that's not the same). Here are the chapters. The parenthesis are mine. I picked out recipes that sounded interesting to me, so not necessarily representative.

1. Just the Basics - Condiments, Sauces and Faux Meats (tofu chicken, creole sausage, etc.)
2. Grits, Gravies and Such - Big Ol' Southern Breakfasts (waffles, biscuits with chocolate gravy, tofu ham with redeye gravy, etc.)
3. Don't Spoil Your Supper - Appetizers and Snacks (No Tell Rotel Dip, sweet potato sausage balls, etc.)
4. Ladies and Gentlemen Who Lunch - Salads and Sandwiches (BBQ seitan salad, pimento cheese sandwiches)
5. Soup's On - Soups and Stews (cream soups that can be used in other recipes, beef stew)
6. Come 'N' Get It - Simple Southern Suppers (Tofu Fish Fry, seitan ribs)
7. For the Potluck - Casseroles and Savory Pies (cornbread dressing, Boozy Baked Beans)
8. All the Fixin's - Savory Sides (greens, sweet potato fries, etc.)
9. Daily Brea - Biscuits, Loves and Cornbread (biscuits, hush puppy muffins, cornbread)
10. Sweet Endings - Decadent Desserts (mandarin cobbler, chocolate praline cookies)

I made the cornmeal crusted tofu stix. They were okay. My main complaint is that the breading mixture made enough for 3 or 4 times the amount of tofu called for in the recipe, so I wound up throwing a lot out. Next time I would marinate the tofu longer and make only 1/4 to 1/3 of the breading.

_________________
http://veggielawyer.wordpress.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Crunk
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:04 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:12 pm
Posts: 3831
Location: Canberra, Australia
This one hadn't really piqued my interest yet, but dijon pecan seitan sounds pretty great! I might have to place an order come pay day.

_________________
Recipes. Rants. Raunch.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Crunk
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:19 pm 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:50 pm
Posts: 516
Location: Sun City
You know, I think part of the issue is that there is no Look Inside feature on Amazon, from what I could tell. It's hard for me to get excited about a cookbook when I can't really see what's in it.

Being the Southern girl that I am, however, I went to Bianca's blog and saw the picture of her Brown Sugar Baked Tofu Ham (served with red eye gravy and biscuits) and placed my order right then and there. I also saw a picture of her corn casserole that looked amazing, so I can fully say I'm very excited and can't wait until this arrives at my door!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Crunk
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:34 pm 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:47 pm
Posts: 1868
Location: NC
Freetahtah wrote:
You know, I think part of the issue is that there is no Look Inside feature on Amazon, from what I could tell. It's hard for me to get excited about a cookbook when I can't really see what's in it.



This is pretty much the way I am, too. I even looked for at at the Brick and Mortar bookstore (no luck) and probably wouldn't have bothered had it not been for bcakes posting the table of contents + samples. I am far too excited now, though.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Crunk
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:57 pm 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:13 am
Posts: 1808
Location: USA
Freetahtah wrote:
You know, I think part of the issue is that there is no Look Inside feature on Amazon, from what I could tell. It's hard for me to get excited about a cookbook when I can't really see what's in it.

Being the Southern girl that I am, however, I went to Bianca's blog and saw the picture of her Brown Sugar Baked Tofu Ham (served with red eye gravy and biscuits) and placed my order right then and there. I also saw a picture of her corn casserole that looked amazing, so I can fully say I'm very excited and can't wait until this arrives at my door!


agreed, i miss the preview feature on amazon.com i'm guessing the author and/or publisher have to give permission?

either way, now that i know there is recipe for 'brown sugar baked tofu ham' i have to have this cookbook. i'm ordering it tomorrow!

_________________
"....but I finally found block tempeh a few weeks ago with the intent to give it my virginity." -Moon

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Crunk
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:15 pm 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:47 pm
Posts: 1868
Location: NC
This came today and so much of it looks fantastic and I'm kind of bummed that I have lots of leftovers that really need to get eaten before I cook anything else. I like that she seems to balance traditional with healthier in what looks like a very reasonable way. And all of the stories about her granny veganizing family favorites gives me the warm fuzzies.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Crunk
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:20 pm 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:13 am
Posts: 1808
Location: USA
cool, like bcakes did, it would be great if you could tell us what strikes you fancy at first glance. probably a moot point since this book does not list the recipes in the table of contents or at each chapter page, but i really miss the preview function that shows that.....

p.s. is the book balanced between tofu/tempeh/seitan or does it favor one more than the other??

_________________
"....but I finally found block tempeh a few weeks ago with the intent to give it my virginity." -Moon

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Crunk
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:06 pm 
Offline
And you never will.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:41 pm
Posts: 4584
Location: Memphis
bookwormbethie wrote:
is the book balanced between tofu/tempeh/seitan or does it favor one more than the other??

I think it's pretty well balanced between them.

I have a Flickr set of a few of the recipes I made when I tested for the book (I got really lazy about taking pictures, but I wish now I had taken more), if anyone is interested:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/poopiebitc ... 028399497/

_________________
Sometimes I think, it's really my lack of cybernetic implants that keeps me from being truly human. - Mars
One vegan baker to another: "Dude, do you even sift?" - FootFace


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Crunk
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:50 am 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:13 am
Posts: 1808
Location: USA
awesome photos, lucky you for being a tester! the corn casserole looks good! did you test for the cornbread dressing recipe??

_________________
"....but I finally found block tempeh a few weeks ago with the intent to give it my virginity." -Moon

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Crunk
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:54 am 
Offline
And you never will.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:41 pm
Posts: 4584
Location: Memphis
I didn't make it, but I have eaten it a couple of times (made by Bianca) and it is really good! It reminds me a lot of my granny's dressing.

_________________
Sometimes I think, it's really my lack of cybernetic implants that keeps me from being truly human. - Mars
One vegan baker to another: "Dude, do you even sift?" - FootFace


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Crunk
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:05 pm 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:47 pm
Posts: 1868
Location: NC
I made the pecan crusted seitan and maple mustard sauce tonight and wow! I had made up my own recipe for a similar dish before, but this one turns out much better and is easier, too. Make it. Now.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Crunk
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:11 pm 
Offline
Hearts James Cromwell

Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:23 am
Posts: 55
poopiebitch, your dumplings look yummy!

I made the Cauliflower Creole for dinner tonight. It came together really quickly. It's a good and simple supper, which is fitting because it's in the Simple Southern Suppers chapter.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Crunk
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:41 pm 
Offline
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:52 am
Posts: 58
Just got this yesterday...wow! So many recipes I want to make! Tonight for dinner I made pigs in blanket (fat free except for tofu dogs) = yum! My picky family loved them! And I made the Cheesy Broccoli Rice Casserole. The mushroom soup which serves as a base is a total keeper...(I used olive oil instead of margarine and added some garlic). And because my hubby and kids are really picky I didn't do the nooch topping as it would be too much for them. Rather, I just added extra rice milk to the recipe and topped with daiya. It's fabulous. This book will definitely be in my regular rotation.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Crunk
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:47 am 
Offline
WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:57 pm
Posts: 5245
poopiebitch wrote:
I have a Flickr set of a few of the recipes I made when I tested for the book (I got really lazy about taking pictures, but I wish now I had taken more), if anyone is interested:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/poopiebitc ... 028399497/

Yum!

_________________
"I'm sorry! I'm Canadian!"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Crunk
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:55 pm 
Offline
Nailed to the V

Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:25 am
Posts: 588
I bought this..
:D

_________________
A Vegan Julie/Julia Project: This Cycle: Great Gluten Free Vegan Eats! http://veganlydelicious.wordpress.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Crunk
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:42 pm 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:13 am
Posts: 1808
Location: USA
J_Rice wrote:
Just got this yesterday...wow! So many recipes I want to make! Tonight for dinner I made pigs in blanket (fat free except for tofu dogs) = yum! My picky family loved them! And I made the Cheesy Broccoli Rice Casserole. The mushroom soup which serves as a base is a total keeper...(I used olive oil instead of margarine and added some garlic). And because my hubby and kids are really picky I didn't do the nooch topping as it would be too much for them. Rather, I just added extra rice milk to the recipe and topped with daiya. It's fabulous. This book will definitely be in my regular rotation.


Do a good bit of Bianca's recipes call for tofu dogs or other meat substitutes (excluding tofu, tempeh, and seitan of course). I personally do not eat meat substitutes (or use fake processed cheese) and I'm wondering now if many of her recipes call for them.

_________________
"....but I finally found block tempeh a few weeks ago with the intent to give it my virginity." -Moon

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Crunk
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:09 am 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:47 pm
Posts: 1868
Location: NC
bookwormbethie wrote:
J_Rice wrote:
Just got this yesterday...wow! So many recipes I want to make! Tonight for dinner I made pigs in blanket (fat free except for tofu dogs) = yum! My picky family loved them! And I made the Cheesy Broccoli Rice Casserole. The mushroom soup which serves as a base is a total keeper...(I used olive oil instead of margarine and added some garlic). And because my hubby and kids are really picky I didn't do the nooch topping as it would be too much for them. Rather, I just added extra rice milk to the recipe and topped with daiya. It's fabulous. This book will definitely be in my regular rotation.


Do a good bit of Bianca's recipes call for tofu dogs or other meat substitutes (excluding tofu, tempeh, and seitan of course). I personally do not eat meat substitutes (or use fake processed cheese) and I'm wondering now if many of her recipes call for them.


I really don't recall any, so I'm guessing the pigs in a blanket are one of the few. Even with that, you could make your own seitan veggie dogs if you want. I don't recall many using fake cheese, either. It seems to be more of an optional thing in most recipes.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Crunk
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:57 am 
Offline
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:54 pm
Posts: 259
IVe considered buying this book too, but there is no look inside feature on Amazon, and she doesnt seem to give any recipes on her blog...or am I just missing it? All I see are product reviews. :/

I am a Southerner and a vegan, so I would be interested, but would like to take a look before I buy.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Crunk
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:16 am 
Offline
Bathes in Braggs
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:01 am
Posts: 1296
Location: sunshine coast, australia
so do the recipes require branded products like daiya and such, that we don't have in australia? one of the things i looove about v'con is that i don't need any special vegan products, just regular ingredients.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Crunk
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:32 am 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:13 am
Posts: 1808
Location: USA
Daphne wrote:
IVe considered buying this book too, but there is no look inside feature on Amazon, and she doesnt seem to give any recipes on her blog...or am I just missing it? All I see are product reviews. :/

I am a Southerner and a vegan, so I would be interested, but would like to take a look before I buy.


You might want to check back earlier on her blog, I was late to the party, but there was probably a blog tour of the cookbook......

For me, I like a well organized table of contents with all the recipes listed in the front of the book, or at the very least, a plain table of contents and then all the recipes listed on each chapter's title page. From what I gather, the cookbook is not organized like this so I'm not sure how much a preview would help as the beginning of cookbooks (with or without a well organized table of contents) are going to have an intro/how to cook/ingredient overview/pantry info, etc.... in the front and while I do read that since it's fun to see what the author's personality and tone of "voice" is, that doesn't help me decide when purchasing a cookbook.

_________________
"....but I finally found block tempeh a few weeks ago with the intent to give it my virginity." -Moon

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Crunk
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:51 pm 
Offline
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:54 pm
Posts: 259
bookwormbethie wrote:
Daphne wrote:
IVe considered buying this book too, but there is no look inside feature on Amazon, and she doesnt seem to give any recipes on her blog...or am I just missing it? All I see are product reviews. :/

I am a Southerner and a vegan, so I would be interested, but would like to take a look before I buy.


You might want to check back earlier on her blog, I was late to the party, but there was probably a blog tour of the cookbook......

For me, I like a well organized table of contents with all the recipes listed in the front of the book, or at the very least, a plain table of contents and then all the recipes listed on each chapter's title page. From what I gather, the cookbook is not organized like this so I'm not sure how much a preview would help as the beginning of cookbooks (with or without a well organized table of contents) are going to have an intro/how to cook/ingredient overview/pantry info, etc.... in the front and while I do read that since it's fun to see what the author's personality and tone of "voice" is, that doesn't help me decide when purchasing a cookbook.



ohhh...yeah..Im glad you mentioned that--I like my cookbooks organized the same way. Robin Robertson does a fantastic job with this in the cookbooks that I have by her. I will wait on this book...I have Paula Deens books and I can always veganize on my own just fine.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Crunk
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:14 am 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:13 am
Posts: 1808
Location: USA
I *finally* ordered this book. I'll do my best to type out a complete list of all the recipes once it arrives ;)

_________________
"....but I finally found block tempeh a few weeks ago with the intent to give it my virginity." -Moon

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Crunk
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:52 pm 
Offline
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:21 pm
Posts: 72
Location: Memphis, TN
Yea! Thanks guys! It's so exciting to see people talking about my book on the PPK!!!!!!!!

As for "Look Inside" not being offered on Amazon, I totally agree that that sucks. When the book was on pre-order, I assumed "Look Inside" would be offered when the book was finished printing, but it wasn't. It might just be an oversight on my publisher's part because Book Pub Co also publishes Artisan Vegan Cheese, and you can look inside that one. I'll get on that in the morning and hopefully, we can get that fixed. I love that feature when I'm browsing cookbooks online.

Sorry about the lack of a recipe list with each chapter. That's my publisher's style preference. :-(

Anyway, it's just cool to see people actually buying it!! And talking about it!!

_________________
http://vegancrunk.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Crunk
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:40 am 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:13 am
Posts: 1808
Location: USA
Miss Crunk wrote:
......Sorry about the lack of a recipe list with each chapter. That's my publisher's style preference. :-(

Anyway, it's just cool to see people actually buying it!! And talking about it!!



Eep, I am so embarrassed, Bianca, please do not apologize! I'm just an overly organized person (perhaps annoyingly so?!?!) and that is how I prefer cookbooks to be. However, I have plenty of cookbooks that aren't organized this way and I love them the same. I'm sure I will love your lots too! Can't wait to get my hands on your cookbook, mine shipped out yesterday, as I'm a fellow Southerner too down here in GA. Told my hubby about your "deviled eggs" (saw the pics on your blog I think) and he is very intrigued!

_________________
"....but I finally found block tempeh a few weeks ago with the intent to give it my virginity." -Moon

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer