| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 93  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Playground randomness thread
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:57 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I'm so sorry you had such a rough time with Malka's birth, Ariann. I meant to comment when you mentioned it in another thread. For what it's worth, from someone who doesn't know you-- you seem very not-stupid to me, and like you're a great mom with useful advice. Of course I have no experience having multiple kids either, but I can't imagine that anyone wouldn't feel like they know what they're doing at least a little more the second time around. Anyway, I can't imagine how hard it must be to have gone through a traumatic birth and then have to be there fully for your baby rather than focusing your energy on taking care of yourself. I just wanted to say, try to go easy on yourself! You're doing a great job.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:35 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Give yourself some time, ariann. Things only get easier and easier. The first year is killer no matter whether you have an easy baby or not. Mr bird and i didn't start feeling like we could reconnect in an easy way until after 18 months and it's only been in the last few months that we feel like we get anything like the same amount of time together that we used to have.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:50 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Ariann, don't cave in to that whole "superwoman" thang. :) I am glad to have had friends and PPKers say that the first year just sorta sucks wrt one's relationship with their partner. There are days where I am sure that K and I are doomed to fail, times when I know he's going to leave because I'm so bisque-y or that I look at him and just think "what the f is wrong with you?". But now, it's just a bit easier and we both know that it's just going to take some time. Things aren't going to be the same for us (or you) though...they're just not. I don't mean that women can't still have great careers and wicked awesome relationships with their so's, it's just that I think it's important to remember that there is a "new normal" after a bambina comes along.

Aubade..the age thing looms large for me too. I keep thinking that we should be trying *now*, especially as it took us an awful long time to conceive Freya (hopefully now though, as we've figured out the problem, things could move a bit faster this time).

I too, want to work on some weight/health issues before trying again too. Pregnancy/labor/delivery and my own mental health would be so much easier if I were just a bit more fit. Plus, it's good for me even if I'm not pg. :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:18 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Oh Ariann, I'm thinking of you. That first year is really rough, especially when you have a difficult birth and aftermath. Honestly, I didn't feel anything like myself until the second year. It gets a lot better, it really does. Once your child is past the baby stage, and you see that you have created a walking, talking, awesome version of you and your partner, things start looking a bit brighter. Hang in there, and please don't hesitate to ask for help. That's a big thing. You can't do everything yourself, and need to surround yourself with love and people who can help you.

I'm feeling the same way about my weight, refinnej. I was on PPD meds that got me to 20lbs OVER my final pregnancy weight (great way to ward off the depression!) I want/need to be at a better weight before even thinking of getting pregnant again. I'm now back to my pregnancy weight (took me five months to get there...), but I'm in so much better shape now than I was before I was pregnant. It's a start!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:11 pm 

I went to my first LLL meeting in a couple of months (missed July with sick baby, then none scheduled for August). So today, there are I think ten women there. Me and three others with babies under age 11 months, one leader who's about 50, and one lady with her toddler daughter. The remainder were all toddler moms who were now visibly pregnant. Oi. Talk about stirring up those baby feelings.

(Freya, all chatty and waving and happy = the belle of the ball. I love those moments :D)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:14 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I really, really appreciate the sympathy, guys. I feel like I can't talk about this stuff to most of my IRL people. My husband says I can talk about it whenever I want and he knows I think about it, but I don't want to burden him that much or make him relive it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:59 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I met a baby yesterday that made me think I might want another baby. But only if it is a girl and she is chill. Can I place my order?

And refinnej, Nate is applying for a job in London. Doubtful it will work out, but so cool we could be Michiganders living near each other!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:59 pm 

Wow, that would be cool. How funny though, if we couldn't get together in the same state, but only in England. :) London is an amazing place, very much like New York to me. Dirty and disgusting but magical and awe-inspiring all at the same time.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:28 pm 

Husband, I *know* you are not going into the spare room and making all sorts of noise while my child is sleeping because you were too distracted to pack your shiitake for your trip earlier in the day.

Seriously, drawers banging. I asked him to be quiet. Can he do it in the morning before he leaves? Geezus, I pack for nearly every vacation we take. He has to pack one teeny tiny suitcase for 2 days travel and he's waking this child.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:47 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

4 oz of expressed breast milk has gone missing. I put it on the counter to warm up for the next feeding and then realized I wouldn't be needing it. Husband says he will pop it back in the fridge. I go to look for it an hour or two later and it is nowhere to be found. Husband tells me where in the fridge he put it...not there...then I see the bottle empty bobbing in the soapy water in the sink. Husband cannot tell me how it got there. Argh. It takes me two or three pumping sessions after feedings to collect that much. I feel so sad for myself. Vent over. Oops I guess this should have gone on the Venting thread - but how do you delete a post?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:42 am 

Oh, annasrobbie, that is the worst. I know that several of us here have literally cried over spilt milk.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:11 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I can't find the child care thread, so I'm popping into this one to say I'm so. damn. exhausted. The little girl I nanny for is sick and wakes up from her nap every 20 minutes having a screaming meltdown that only gets worse when I go in to soothe her. I feel like the worst nanny ever and that there's nothing this little girl will let me do except let her cry herself back to sleep. Three year olds, man.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:47 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Kate wrote:
I can't find the child care thread, so I'm popping into this one to say I'm so. damn. exhausted. The little girl I nanny for is sick and wakes up from her nap every 20 minutes having a screaming meltdown that only gets worse when I go in to soothe her. I feel like the worst nanny ever and that there's nothing this little girl will let me do except let her cry herself back to sleep. Three year olds, man.

Yeah, we have this going on right now except it is all night. Grey just wants boob so Nate can't help me. I a sick too. Ugh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:04 pm 
Semen Strong

Breastfeeding Leela in front of a friend, who said "Oh ugh, I weaned my son at 18 months. It took 6 months of me putting aloe and hot sauce on my boobs before he stopped going for them. And even now, 16 years later, he still loves hot sauce on everything!"

Hot sauce and aloe.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:13 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Oh God. My husband's brother was weaned after 2 years. His mom put hot sauce on her nipples once and that was that. I'm surprised to hear that others have done that (sounds like it would burn, is that why the aloe?) and that it could have taken 6 months!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:16 pm 
And you never will.

Hot sauce? How terrible! Of course, poopiebaby would probably lick it off and then ask for more.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:26 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Who was it on here that said they told their kid that the boobies were sleeping? I thought that was genius.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:04 am 
Semen Strong

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:29 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I love angry babies! (as long as they're not mine....) I think I may need hot sauce for my boob monster. He's all boob all the time to the point that I think he'll still be nursing when he goes off to college.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:58 pm 

I can't remember who recommended this thing, and I can't find my post either (baby brain), but thanks for the tip, it's been in our house just two days, but we love it so far: http://www.stokke.com/en-gb/highchair/t ... e-top.aspx

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:33 pm 
Inflexitarian

Kate wrote:
Who was it on here that said they told their kid that the boobies were sleeping? I thought that was genius.

I read this in The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding and completely intend on using it the moment that guineapiglet can comprehend it's meaning.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:27 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Refinnej - which Stokke item did you get? That highchair/chair is cool!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:42 pm 
Inflexitarian

refinnej wrote:
I can't remember who recommended this thing, and I can't find my post either (baby brain), but thanks for the tip, it's been in our house just two days, but we love it so far: http://www.stokke.com/en-gb/highchair/t ... e-top.aspx

It was me! So glad you love it! Did you end up getting a good deal? The price on that thing just keeps skyrocketing!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:48 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I looove our Stokke high chair (we have the red) and its been great for just really containing Dahlia while being pretty compact and keeping her close enough to me at the table to "help" her. And though we never got the tray or mat thing because when I looked for it 2yrs ago they were realllly expensive, we did buy the seat cover thing from someone on ebay for fairly cheap I think. Dahlia's pretty much too tall for the straps now and totally fine for the most part at sitting in any regular tall chair so in about 4 months will be movin' on to a regular chair in our ridiculously tiny dining area so Sierra can sit in the Stokke.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:46 pm 

Ah, thanks to you then GP! We paid a good bit for it, £24 I think, but it's very nice. Freya can still throw her food on the floor, of course, but it eliminates that blasted baby side-sweeping thing :)

We don't have a Stokke high chair, but have a nice wooden one that we got from eBay: http://m.mothercare.com/Mothercare-Vale ... 520Natural Occasionally, Freya uses the tray if I'm home alone and cooking..she might start having her dinner early, or I'll have her playing with something so she can be at the same level as I. 98% of the time though, we have the tray flipped around behind the seat and she sits right up at the table with us.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 93  Next