| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vegan eating = Chicago in your pants? tmi warning!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:34 am 
Nailed to the V

I'm not vegan, but considering it, and so I've been increasing my consumption of legumes and soy products lately. Especially after I eat tofu, my arse turns into the Windy City! I don't think I'm intolerant, since it's not painful or anything, but there is just So Much Gas. Is this a common experience? How long does it take for the gut to get used to a legume-rich diet?

Post subject: Re: Vegan eating = Chicago in your pants? tmi warning!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:01 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Chicago in your pants is the best term ever.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:23 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

amonik wrote:
I'm not vegan, but considering it, and so I've been increasing my consumption of legumes and soy products lately. Especially after I eat tofu, my arse turns into the Windy City! I don't think I'm intolerant, since it's not painful or anything, but there is just So Much Gas. Is this a common experience? How long does it take for the gut to get used to a legume-rich diet?

It happens to me too... I have to make a conscious effort to remember not to eat tofu for breakfast on legs day at the gym.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:15 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Taking probiotics or digestive enzymes can help reduce the windy city effect. Beano isn't vegan, but there are others like Yes To Beans - silly name, but it works for me.

I've also found that I can tolerate some legumes better than others. I love pinto beans, but they really do a number on my gut. Me and chickpeas get along just fine, same with navy beans.

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:38 pm 
Nailed to the V

SpiceMiner wrote:
It happens to me too... I have to make a conscious effort to remember not to eat tofu for breakfast on legs day at the gym.

Dammit! I thought it was just teething trouble...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:43 pm 
Nailed to the V

bunniee wrote:
I've also found that I can tolerate some legumes better than others. I love pinto beans, but they really do a number on my gut. Me and chickpeas get along just fine, same with navy beans.

That's true for me too. We usually stick to white beans, black beans, lentils and chickpeas. Still, I eat much more of them than before - used to be once or twice a week, and now it's almost every day. And tofu, like I said - I love it, but I'm a little sorry for whoever is sitting around me in class the next day...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:05 pm 
WELFARIST!

I didn't get the Chicago reference right away, I was mistakenly thinking of Cleveland and clicked on this, assuming someone had pooped their pants. That's right, Cleveland is what prompted the click.

I thought Chicago in your pants was cute, though, once I got it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:56 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

This is possibly the best post title the PPK has ever seen.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:08 pm 
Impressive boner

I thought Chicago was a new filter for custard.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:02 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

bunniee wrote:
Taking probiotics or digestive enzymes can help reduce the windy city effect. Beano isn't vegan, but there are others like Yes To Beans - silly name, but it works for me.

That’s funny, I am the opposite. Pinto beans and black beans don’t affect me much but chickpeas do. Tofu and Vegan Protein shakes are what really do it to me though.

To the OP, prepare for TMI lol... I have found that after your body has had a sufficient amount of time to clean itself out after giving up meat/dairy the odor associated with "windy city effect” goes away. It is still noisy, but hey, that’s the fun part. I have absolutely no science to back this up, just the personal experiences of myself and my mother (whom I live with, who is also vegan [I didn’t know if who or whom was appropriate so I used one of each!])

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:39 am 
Seagull of the PPK

seitanicverses wrote:
I didn't get the Chicago reference right away, I was mistakenly thinking of Cleveland and clicked on this, assuming someone had pooped their pants. That's right, Cleveland is what prompted the click.

Again, super twin sister, we think exactly alike. Cleveland indeed!!!!

Some mod, this new witty poster needs the best subnick ever.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:21 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Oh yeah, response to the actual topic of the post: I've been vegan for almost 10 years and I'm pretty sure I could power a rocket ship out of my butt.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:22 am 
Nailed to the V

seitanicverses wrote:

I totally don't get the Cleveland thing. Is this because I'm eurotrash or is it a ppk thing?

SpiceMiner wrote:
It is still noisy, but hey, that’s the fun part.

I'm trying to grow out of that kind of humour! Can't afford it if I'm going to be a proper nurse! My kid is adorable when he laughs at his own (or anyone else's) farts though :-D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:54 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

amonik wrote:
seitanicverses wrote:

I totally don't get the Cleveland thing. Is this because I'm eurotrash or is it a ppk thing?

SpiceMiner wrote:
It is still noisy, but hey, that’s the fun part.

I'm trying to grow out of that kind of humour! Can't afford it if I'm going to be a proper nurse! My kid is adorable when he laughs at his own (or anyone else's) farts though :-D

Google Cleveland Steamer.... :)

My sense of humor is about 5 years old and I hope I never grow out of it…

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:12 am 
Nailed to the V

SpiceMiner wrote:
Google Cleveland Steamer.... :)

Oh dear.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:55 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

amonik wrote:

Now now. One man's eurotrash is another man's euroTREASURE.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:22 pm 
Tofu Pup

This is something I struggle with too. Health and budget-wise, beans seem to be the best option, but I have to be careful. I may just have sensitive guts in general (gluten and lactose intolerant), but here's what I've come up with that usually works for me:

1. No grey lentils. Ever. (Unless there are just a few scattered among some rice--no more than 1:5 bean to rice ratio!) May God(dess) send strength to anyone near me a few hours after I break this rule. Navy and Garbanzo seem easiest to digest. Red lentils, pinto beans, and black beans are usually fine in moderation (well-rinsed, if from the can).

2. If I make a big pot of black beans (the Venezuelan ones in Viva Vegan are awesome), I'm only allowed to have them one meal a day. It's tempting to follow Terry's advice to fry them up again in the morning to make Gallo Pinto for breakfast, and then take yet another serving to work for lunch, but it just should not be done!

3. Eat beans with lots of other non-bean items: rice, veggies, bread, potatoes, etc. I make sure to rotate tofu, tempeh, and nut-based meals with veggies and well-cooked potatoes to calm my stomach.

4. If I want to have lots of beans, it should be on a Friday or Saturday night, so I don't have to hold in *the toots* all day at work!

If tofu makes you gassy, you may want to keep an eye on whether you may have a soy issue. (It could just be that you're getting used to it.) I can have loads of tofu with no problem, but soy milk makes me feel a bit off, so I drink almond milk instead. I might try probiotics like someone recommended. If you have a gluten issue, watch out for one of the brands of probiotic juice, because all of its varieties contain barley malt. I used to drink it, and I wondered why I still felt bad!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:23 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I'm just unashamed of my farts. The end.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:19 am 
Nailed to the V

Thanks everyone for your helpful and hilarious replies!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:45 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I'm two weeks late with my reply but I would like to let you guys know that I got the reference RIGHT AWAY.

the end.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:00 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Farting is like the funniest thing that can happen in our house between my girls and husband. I just tell my girls that it is only funny in front of family.

The ladies at my husband's work do not appreciate my meals because of how much my husband, well you know. He thinks it is hilarious though.

Anyways, I took probiotics before going vegan and didn't think they worked well. I starting taking them again, and boy do I notice a difference now. I am not really eating yogurt anymore, besides the occasional soy yogurt, so I like taking the probiotics.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:28 pm 
Nailed to the V

I know mum has some pills she takes when she's going out in public - I'll have to ask her what they're called (I know they're OTC). I had a *lot* of space to myself in my line-dance class this week...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:15 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

As a native Clevelander...I really don't know what to say. But I lived in Chicago too.Its a shame the second link on googling "Cleveland Steamer" is a cleaning company. That or its the best thing ever

And as a non-regular vegan I can be gassy pretty often and it doesn't even matter what I eat.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:15 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Honestly since I cut out lactose my gut has been so much happier. As long as beans are well-rinsed and properly cooked, I don't seem to have an issue. Sauerkraut, though...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:54 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I've been a big ol' fartypants over the last two days and I don't know why. I've started not-dieting again in an effort to reset my "what's normal" to break through a plateau.

But I'm farting like Wario here.