All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Robin Asbell - Big Vegan
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:43 pm 
Saggy Butt

Anybody have this? Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Robin Asbell - Big Vegan
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:42 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I got this for my kindle the day it became available. I love it. The first couple weeks I got it I think I made 10 recipes from it.
It does the standard vegan fare, but there is a lot more in here than vegan mac 'n cheese and seitan recipes. I love the wild rice and blueberry salad, probably my favorite so far, but things got hectic here and I haven't had the chance to make something new from it for a couple weeks. Darn midterms.

There's a lot of fusion, and definitely a selection of fussier recipes, but as a more experienced cook with so many vegan cookbooks on my shelf, this book has been a new inspiration and a welcome challenge.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:30 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I have it as an eBook from the library right now. A lot of the recipes look pretty good.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:04 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I just bought this after reading Julie Hasson's write up of it during MoFo! Those fritters she made looked so good that I had to snap it up. It's a really nice-looking book, but I wish it had more pictures.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:18 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I just got this! It's a nice looking book, and recipes look solid. I made the kalamata tomato sauce pasta (did a baked version) last night, and it was tasty.

Post subject: Big Vegan
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:29 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Just got it, anyone else?

Post subject: Re: Big Vegan
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:27 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Yes! I took a class with the cookbook author and bought the book that night. The buckwheat biscuits remain a favorite!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:43 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Yep, a couple of us!

I still haven't made anything, I really need to find the time to sit down and read through it properly.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:44 pm 
Saggy Butt

I really liked the Jamaican Tofu Chowder with Collards and the Rasta Pasta.

http://tastespace.wordpress.com/2012/01 ... -collards/
http://tastespace.wordpress.com/2012/01/27/rasta-pasta/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:07 am 
Saggy Butt

I also really liked the completely inauthentic okonomiyaki. See here:

http://tastespace.wordpress.com/2012/06 ... u-like-it/

I also found the Creamy Spinach and White Bean Dip and Sunshine Carrot Tofu Scramble with Spinach to be nice. Not stellar, but nice.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:59 pm 
Nailed to the V

I hate you all
it's in my cart, and I'm just trying to figure out what else I should stick in there. (food in jars is tempting me - i want to desperately learn how to make my own jams and stuff). i just got it from the library.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:16 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

My university's bookstore is going out of business, so I snagged a bunch of books at 50% off and this was one of them. It was the soup recipes that sold me. It's always the soup recipes that sell me! Can't wait to give them a shot. Corn chowder, mmm.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:37 pm 
Nailed to the V

I made the skillet onion bread, I think i would add more salt, and some garlic but its good

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:41 am 
Inflexitarian

I've just ordered this book. I'm surprised there aren't more comments about it - I hope it's good! I was attracted by the fact that it doesn't rely heavily on commercial ready made products. I'm more of a from scratch type of cook. I also like that it's such a definitive volume. Some times I just want to find a recipe that will use up what I have in the fridge.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:27 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I've had this for a while but for some reason haven't gotten around to making anything yet. Has anyone tried the stuffed tofu turkey?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:33 pm 
Saggy Butt

The Roasted Vegetable Ribollita is very good, even without the bread.

~~~
http://tastespace.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:03 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I have it and love it. Only thing I don't like is the lack of photos, but for that many recipes I am sure it would have been too costly. Things I have liked the best have been Sweet Potato Drop Biscuits...Creamy Triple Mushroom Fettuccine with walnuts..and Szechaun Eggplant with peanuts.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:22 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I just ordered the book, based on the recipe titles/previews I saw on the "Look Inside" feature on Amazon. There was lots that sounded good so I'm pretty excited... despite the fact that the last thing I probably need is another vegan cookbook, especially since I have a few that I haven't made ANYTHING out of yet... Haha.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:16 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

So, first impressions of the book: It has a really good layout in my opinion and has heavy-ish pages. It's also really pretty and has a few photo pages, but not many. Each section is separated by a plum colored page that has a list of the recipes in it. The index seems pretty good as well. Recipes are never set up so that you have to flip the page to see the rest of the directions... most recipes fit on one page and if they don't, it's continued on the facing page, making it cookbook-holder friendly. I also found the type face to be fairly large and easy to read. The ingredients list could be more visible, though, since it's near the book binding.

Most of the recipes seem fairly weeknight friendly and there aren't too many vegan subs used. I only noticed a few recipes calling for vegan mayo (she has a recipe in the book if you'd rather use that) or vegan cream cheese. Although the recipes for the most part don't seem too labor intensive, they do combine ingredients in ways that I find interesting so it doesn't feel like it's just a big compilation of recipes that I already have in other books. I read through and was constantly saying, "Ooooh! I want to make that!" I will say that there is a lack of icons denoting different types of recipes like things that are quickly prepared or gluten free, since I know some people really like those. Also, some recipes do require overnight preparation, such as soaking of ingredients, and it'd be nice if those had some sort of note warning you.

I'm surprised that this book hasn't gotten more attention on here, so I'll try and post updates as I cook from it. I'm thinking next week I'll make it a "Big Vegan" week and make all of our meals from it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:32 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Last night I made the harvest vegetable stew in mini pumpkins, but I used acorn squash instead because that's all they had at the store. It was very good, but I don't see how this could only feed 4 people. Those people would have to be very, very hungry and not have any other sides or bread to go with it. That being said, I'm really not complaining about a recipe making MORE than I imagined. I actually served mine in halved acorn squashes, since they don't have a flat surface, instead of cutting a lid out and filling them that way. The stew was very good and slightly sweet (in a nice way) from the soy creamer and parsnips. It was very hearty and I probably didn't need anything to go with it, but I also made the creamy spinach and white bean dip to go on some sourdough bread I bought.

The creamy spinach and white bean dip, which sounded initially like just another hummus-y bean spread, was actually a surprise in that it was mostly spinach and the bean puree kind of just melted into the mixture to hold everything together. It also called for chopped tomatoes to be stirred in at the end, which was a nice touch so that it wasn't just a completely smooth spread. I'd definitely make this again and it makes a bunch. It'll be great on sandwiches.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:20 pm 
Inflexitarian

That stew sounds delicious! I don't mind when a recipe makes too much, but it makes me cranky when it doesn't make enough! I highly recommend the chocolate & almond cake. I can't recall what else I've made, but I'm just about to make the beetroot, orange & walnut salad for the first time.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:11 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Oh man, I made the Pumpkin Cherry Bundt Cake with Cherry Glaze this afternoon and I just had a piece. It's really good! The cake is moist and dense, but not -too- dense... It's perfect. I'll be eating this for breakfast tomorrow, for sure. I'd never used Ener-G egg replacer before, but I'm glad I bought some to make this because this recipe is definitely a keeper. I like that it's a pumpkin recipe so it's very autumnal, but has a bit of a twist to it so that it's not the same ol' same ol' pumpkin bread type thing.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:20 pm 
Saggy Butt

Enjoyed the Hazelnut-Sage Pesto.. added a bit of nooch though!

My version is here: https://tastespace.wordpress.com/2012/1 ... age-pesto/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:25 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

The recipe for the Roman Broccoli-Walnut Pasta was pretty awful. I'm not really sure what exactly went wrong here, and maybe I used too much broccoli (should have measured by weight instead of volume, I guess), but the sauce that you're supposed to blend in the food processor just came out a really unappetizing color and was super bland. It kinda was like topping your pasta with gruel. Adding soy creamer just made everything worse because it added some very unwelcome sweetness to the dish. I tried adding different things (spices, nooch, etc.) to try and make it taste better, but it was an exercise in futility.

I dunno, it sounded good in theory, but in practice, at least in my kitchen, it just really didn't end up working out at all. I'm not usually one to throw away food, but we ditched this and ended up getting take out.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:22 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I made the kale and sundried tomato calzones yesterday. So good! And surprisingly easy. (They did take about three hours from start to finish, but lots of downtime). I would suggest using more like 3/4 cup of filling for each because I had some leftover after they were all made up and the dough:filling ratio was a little high. Does anyone know the purpose of the silken tofu in the filling? I bought some (for $3.49, grrrrr) just for this because I wanted to make it right the first time but I'm pretty sure it did nothing!

Anyway, I will be making these again for sure (without the silken tofu) and will be experimenting with the fillings. They'd be delicious with some tofu scramble/sausage mixture as a breakfasty type thing! Or totally decadent with a pepperoni/daiya/mushroom filling.