| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45612 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1093, 1094, 1095, 1096, 1097, 1098, 1099 ... 1825  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:54 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

guys.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:56 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Gulliver wrote:
dropscone wrote:
Gulliver wrote:
My little brother made one out of a cigar box. His father is an artisan luthier and he (my brother) sold it to Newton Faulkner for actual money. So... cigar box ukes are really a real thing and are, by their very nature, mostly recycled. Try one!

Is your brother likely to make any more for sale? I'm not that confident I'd get beyond buying the gubbins and then leaving it in a corner with all my other craft projects.
I can ask! Probably not, because he's 14 and at school. I can ask, though. My stepfather is Nick Benjamin who's made guitars for Kaki King and Ray Davies (of The Kinks), and he taught my brother and probably helped with the hard bits.

Blinking flip! He's got a three year waiting list I see.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:57 am 

(I have sent a spy to find out if it's vegan)

((yes, it appears to be vegan! \o/))

Last edited by joshua on Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:58 am 

fisticuffs wrote:
You know how it is when you meet a bunch of new people that have been friends for a while? Like you tend to have trouble mixing in with the conversation? I actually thought I was doing pretty good for my introverted self... turns out they thought I was very shy. And I'm seeing these people again next weekend and now I feel pressured. BLEH.

But you're lovely! Who told you they thought you were shy and why on earth would they think that would be a helpful thing to say?!

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:47 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

dropscone wrote:
fisticuffs wrote:
You know how it is when you meet a bunch of new people that have been friends for a while? Like you tend to have trouble mixing in with the conversation? I actually thought I was doing pretty good for my introverted self... turns out they thought I was very shy. And I'm seeing these people again next weekend and now I feel pressured. BLEH.

But you're lovely! Who told you they thought you were shy and why on earth would they think that would be a helpful thing to say?!

Yeah you're lovely!! Also, don't feel pressured. It gets better, trust me. :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:50 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

They told my bf, he told me. He's not too clever, is he? ;)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:57 am 
ugh

starrynight87 wrote:
Holy crepe my friend just got engaged and she didn't tell me before posting on FB!

Er, I did this. I got overwhelmed by how many people I would have to call if I'd decided to let people know individually, and texting didn't seem any better than Facebook. The only people that found out before FB were my fiance's parents and my mom. (That said, we were already together for ~8 years so it wasn't a shock to anyone.)

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:20 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

fisticuffs wrote:

Yeah...as a fellow introvert, I know it's super awkward when that happens. But on the other hand, I feel like it's better to find out how people are perceiving me early on in our friendship, and also to have them interpret it through a positive lens (thinking you're shy is a lot better than a lot of other ways people might misinterpret introversion!), rather than to find out months or years later that people stopped being friends with me because they just decided that something I had no idea I was doing meant something that it completely didn't!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:31 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

*sobs* It took me 24hours to figure out where the battery compartment was in one of my house alarm motion sensors. Then it took 2 hours of driving around and going into shops looking for a replacement battery. Finally got one and went home to change the battery. Battery is all changed but the damn thing is still beeping!!!!!!!!!! I'm going to go insane.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:37 am 

Nothing like waking up hungover and full of regret!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:37 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Mars wrote:
zwingtip wrote:
Pros:
-Going to go hang out with Mars

DEBAUCHERY INCOMING!

WELCOME TO PORTLAND NOW LETS DEBAUcchhhherrrrr.... Ugh wait I'm all sick and on antibiotics and yeah... Fun?!

Mars needs to learn better timing!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:47 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

Fisticuffs, you are indeed totally lovely, so don't let it get to you! Besides, what's wrong with being shy?

Joshua... o_0

Dropscone, I also know someone who makes cigar box ukes. I don't know if he makes them to sell, but I can ask him and/or put you in touch with him. Only thing is, he's in the US, so I don't know how handy shipping one would be. But it never hurts to ask.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:18 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

joshua wrote:

*gasp* <---actually what I did
Where was this?

I had to request a withdrawal from my ISA (tax-free savings account) today*, and it turned out that I had about £275 more in the account than I thought I did - yaaay! Also, eating dinner tonight, I confirmed that I have some sensitivity issues in one of my teeth, which probably means cavities - booo!

*I had to do it today because it's a 40-day notice situation, so if I'd left it until next weekend, I wouldn't have gotten the money before I left for the US.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:46 pm 

rachell37 wrote:
Where was this?

teh Belgiums

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:02 pm 
Nailed to the V

joshua wrote:
rachell37 wrote:
Where was this?

teh Belgiums

and we are NOT sharing it.
(Sorrrrry)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:12 pm 

A friend of mine is participating in the AIDS Walk in Indianapolis (where I used to live, and was very involved in HIV/AIDS activism) today. Two good friends of ours have died from AIDS since I moved away, and she posted a photo on FB of her two adorable grandchildren in a little red wagon with a big sparkly sign with our dead friends' names on it. It is the sweetest and saddest thing ever. and I am going to go bawl now.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:03 pm 

so I went on chatroulette today for the first time in probably 18 months. lots of dick. good. BUT, a) someone started drawing a picture. I thought they were drawing a hedgehog, but they were drawing me :(, b) someone's only words were "oh good, you're crazy" and pointed to their hair. I think I need a haircut. :(

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:23 pm 

I want to see the picture of hedghoshua.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:02 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'm looking at pictures and descriptions of available collies online. I've never chosen a dog before! The first dog my family had we got when my mom walked into the shelter (back then it was the "dog pound"), and said "I'm looking for a dog who's good with kids and not too big". The shelter worker just handed her a dog and said "Here, try this one," and that's the one we adopted. Sable came to us after I had been wanting to get a collie for a while and another local animal control had called my shelter and asked if we would take in a collie. She was taken in and earmarked for me, even though I had never met her (it was a surprise orchestrated by the then animal control officer and my mom). Obviously we don't get to choose my dad's police dogs. It's really difficult to figure out which dogs I'm interested in based on a photo and description. You'd think working at an animal shelter for so long would give me some adopting skills, but I guess not!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:12 pm 
WRETCHED

choirqueer wrote:
A friend of mine is participating in the AIDS Walk in Indianapolis (where I used to live, and was very involved in HIV/AIDS activism) today. Two good friends of ours have died from AIDS since I moved away, and she posted a photo on FB of her two adorable grandchildren in a little red wagon with a big sparkly sign with our dead friends' names on it. It is the sweetest and saddest thing ever. and I am going to go bawl now.

My uncle died of AIDS 20 years ago, his birthday was 2 days ago. It took me many years to even talk about AIDS without being a complete mess and thinking about him still can get me crying.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:48 pm 

linanil wrote:
choirqueer wrote:

My uncle died of AIDS 20 years ago, his birthday was 2 days ago. It took me many years to even talk about AIDS without being a complete mess and thinking about him still can get me crying.

*offers hugs*

Yeah. AIDS is a stupid forking jerkface. Go fork yourself in the face, AIDS. :(

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:47 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

choirqueer wrote:
starrynight87 wrote:
Why would anyone spend $50,000 to be in the same room as Romney? I just don't understand. You couldn't pay me a million.

I don't think I'd spend $50,000 just to be in the same room with anyone. Even if I had $50,000. Which, you know, not really at all.

Yeah. First I'd want to work on getting said $50,000. Then, you know, I'd probably put it in the bank for good measure.

joshua wrote:
(I have sent a spy to find out if it's vegan)

((yes, it appears to be vegan! \o/))

Whoa. Whoa. WHOA. Come to the US now plz!

eta: AIDS needs to go die. The only positive thing it gave us was Rent.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:04 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

My parents have been here only a few hours, and so far my mom called me fat, pointed out what's wrong with my house, and taken me out for a dinner that left me hungry. Isn't family great?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:04 am 
Dead by dawn

Well that was fun... Biker boy and I went up to his sister's house just to visit with them a bit. Out of the blue, his sister says, "Do you know anyone who's actually going to vote for Obama?!" and biker boy raised his hand. Oh. My. God. The rant that followed was pure Fox News-style craziness. Did you know that as soon as he doesn't have to worry about being reelected, Obama is going to suspend the first and second amendments? Did you further know that once he gets reelected, he's just never going to leave? So that anyone who votes for him is voting for their own dictator? I mean, I could have figured that they were Repubs based on where they live and what line of work his brother-in-law is in, but geez...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:15 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I'll worry when he starts riding bareback in Siberia.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45612 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1093, 1094, 1095, 1096, 1097, 1098, 1099 ... 1825  Next