| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46454 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1094, 1095, 1096, 1097, 1098, 1099, 1100 ... 1859  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:42 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

lavawitch wrote:
I'll worry when he starts riding bareback in Siberia.

This made me spit coffee on my computer!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:18 am 
Semen Strong

Why do Republicans seem to have such crazy ideas about Obama? It just feels like, as JStew said that there is a President Obama only the GOP can see. Thinking he could really suspend the constitution and become a dictator seems to require more than just incredulity but a straight up ability to suspend logic and reason.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:11 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Tofulish wrote:
Why do Republicans seem to have such crazy ideas about Obama? It just feels like, as JStew said that there is a President Obama only the GOP can see. Thinking he could really suspend the constitution and become a dictator seems to require more than just incredulity but a straight up ability to suspend logic and reason.

i get a lot of my friends asking "what the hell is UP in the US right now?" and asking for explanation.
The only thing I can come up with, honestly, is that the GOP is very good at taking racism and calling it something/anything else and using it as a motivating factor.

I never, ever, ever thought i would say this but thank god for the evangelicals: as long as they continue to think mormons are not as christian as they are, the GOP shouldn't have a chance (at least that's my hope. if it doesn't work out that way, i may never come back, even to visit.)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:33 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

I wonder if it's a lack-of-education issue? Like, that people who believe those things are people who did not learn how government works in school somehow? I dunno, I'm as confused as y'all are.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:25 am 
Dead by dawn

Oh, logic and reason were definitely suspended in this rant! I was shocked because his sister has always seemed so... normal. I just can't fathom how they believe that stuff. They are 100% sure he'll be reelected (probably via some conspiracy) and that we will be living under martial law by mid-2013, with soldiers conducting door to door searches to confiscate everyone's guns. Biker boy was even stunned speechless, so I'm thinking it's not the kind of thing they've believed in the past, which goes back to is there an Obama only the right can see? Because it's not like they reacted this extremely to the last Democrat who sought reelection.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:02 pm 
WELFARIST!

So many feelings right now. Feelings need to go fork themselves. So do people who have issues that they're in denial about and make you feel bad because they're in denial. Oh and liars and double standards, go fork yourselves.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:25 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Tofulish wrote:
Why do Republicans seem to have such crazy ideas about Obama?

torque wrote:
racism

I think this sums it up.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:47 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

To be fair, where I live, there are MANY people with equally whacked out ideas about George Bush and the Right Wing. It's all just based on so much fear.

All my life, every time there's a presidential election, all the liberals are saying "this is the most important election ever! so much is at stake! I am so afraid for the future of our country if GOPCandidateX wins! It will be horrible!" And though I usually agree, it's so interesting now to see the republicans on my FB feed saying all the same thing. Why is there so much fear mongering in all of this? It's a constant manipulation to make us all feel that there are other people out there who are different than we are and worse than we are and so on and so forth. I just find the whole thing depressing and insincere to the hilt.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:04 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

My uncle just gave me $300. I am so uncomfortable taking money--especially that much-from him (or anyone really!).
He told me to go buy something nice, but, gah.

And I feel ungrateful for feeling more uncomfortable than grateful.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:41 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Yeah, it's weird being given gifts of money as an adult. It's a bad anniversary for me today, and I was speaking to my mum yesterday and she offered to pay for me to go away somewhere. I appreciate that she's trying to do something nice for me to make me feel better but at the same time it makes me feel like I can't take care of myself. It's irrational really, if anyone else told the story I would think what a nice thing that was for my mum to do (as I think it's a nice thing for your uncle to do).

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:46 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I dunno, y'all...I respect that, but personally I love it when people give me gifts of money. I'd definitely rather get either a gift of money, or a gift that you can't really buy with money, than someone giving me a thing that they bought that I probably don't want. And frankly, I'm shiitake broke right now, so it would be pretty sweet if more people gave me gifts of money.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:58 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

wow. an ex ladyfriend of mine is now married to a man 3 times her age and very very very pregnant. she seems happy, so that's good, but wow I did not expect this future for her, wow.

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:16 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

choirqueer wrote:
I dunno, y'all...I respect that, but personally I love it when people give me gifts of money. I'd definitely rather get either a gift of money, or a gift that you can't really buy with money, than someone giving me a thing that they bought that I probably don't want. And frankly, I'm shiitake broke right now, so it would be pretty sweet if more people gave me gifts of money.

It's mostly that I don't know them that well.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:05 pm 
WELFARIST!

What the hell does this mean? "Traditional values of my upbringing play an important role in my life:"

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:12 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Mr. Shankly wrote:
What the hell does this mean? "Traditional values of my upbringing play an important role in my life:"

"I'm a racist homophobe who thinks women belong in the kitchen."

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:16 pm 
WELFARIST!

j-dub wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:

"I'm a racist homophobe who thinks women belong in the kitchen."

It was on the Target job application! Glad I'm not the only one who thought it didn't sound very good.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:36 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

monkeytoes wrote:
Oh, logic and reason were definitely suspended in this rant! I was shocked because his sister has always seemed so... normal. I just can't fathom how they believe that stuff. They are 100% sure he'll be reelected (probably via some conspiracy) and that we will be living under martial law by mid-2013, with soldiers conducting door to door searches to confiscate everyone's guns. Biker boy was even stunned speechless, so I'm thinking it's not the kind of thing they've believed in the past, which goes back to is there an Obama only the right can see? Because it's not like they reacted this extremely to the last Democrat who sought reelection.

I'm really starting to think that half of Americans are just psychopaths. I do find the psychology and sociology of all this to be fascinating, but I still wish it weren't happening.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:02 pm 
WRETCHED

I think my inlaws think they are dying or something, they keep trying to give us money. We take the money because I guess it makes them feel good and we've tried arguing against it to no avail. We will usually donate to a charity in their name or something.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:11 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Donate to the panda who needs more cookies charity. Funding my Cheerwine habit since aught five.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:16 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Ran into my ex best friend from high school (she's kind of along the lines of that person Torque was talking about in the other thread-excuse the vague vagueness) in the library of my hometown. Considering how we stopped being friends, I'm rather shocked at how open and friendly she was. All I wanted to do was run away and I'm pretty sure I'm not ever going to let her back into my life because it will just turn back into crazypantsville. Hoping to never run into her again.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:45 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

lillianp wrote:
Ran into my ex best friend from high school (she's kind of along the lines of that person Torque was talking about in the other thread-excuse the vague vagueness) in the library of my hometown. Considering how we stopped being friends, I'm rather shocked at how open and friendly she was. All I wanted to do was run away and I'm pretty sure I'm not ever going to let her back into my life because it will just turn back into crazypantsville. Hoping to never run into her again.

i just found out that one of the high school friends i was most relieved to get away from is in my city now. i run into a person i know about once a year, and there's no reason for me to think she and i would ever be in the same place at the same time, but i'm still so afraid of bumping into her and not being able to escape before she recognizes me. given how bad i am at placing people in general and how utterly unaware of my surroundings i tend to be, there is a very real chance that she could have me cornered before i even realized what was happening if we somehow did end up in a room together.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:48 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Molly needs to stop plotting elaborate schemes to get into my wine glass.

I better hide the credit card and ACME catalogs.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:21 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Oh dear. Apparently, Molly made the rounds, stealing beakfuls from everyone's wine glasses. Dad let her have three. Uncle let her have a few. I had no idea she was quite that sneaky.

Is she going to fall off her perch?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:25 pm 
Semen Strong

ameyfm wrote:
Why is there so much fear mongering in all of this? It's a constant manipulation to make us all feel that there are other people out there who are different than we are and worse than we are and so on and so forth. I just find the whole thing depressing and insincere to the hilt.

I really hate that all the fear-mongering means that most of us are voting either against Romney or against Obama, without there being an examination of the last 4 years and some of the broken promises with some accountability/discussion about making things different next term.

I voted for Obama, but only because I can't see having a SCOTUS appointment with another conservative justice when RBG retires in 2014. I hate what he has done with the drone program, not closing Gitmo, closing the medical marijuana dispensaries in California, stepping up the rate of deportations etc.

There is plenty to not like about Obama and Romney, but we can't have a conversation about the issues, because the debate is entirely fear-driven. I do wish we had had some sort of Dem primary, where Dem voters could have had a chance to weigh in on the things that POTUS has done and what a second term would look like.

I have no idea what a Romney presidency would look like, and I suspect neither do most GOP voters, and it feels really problematic to think that they are just voting against President Obama and some crazy fictionalized version of his presidency. I really don't want to put it down to racism though. I thought this was a good summary of what an O.2 could be like: http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012 ... fact_lizza

The truth is that the two parties are more alike than they are different and esp with all the checks and balances, its not like the Dems are going to make any huge changes in the country, and the GOP is also holding off on making changes that are too big (see Justice Roberts holding his nose and voting against overturning the ACA)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:32 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Exactly what you said, Tofulish. I have grave issues against both, but the choice is still clear.

I am very disturbed about Benghazi though, and the lack of action taken by the State Department (and ultimately the White House). It should never have been allowed to happen. Say what you will about all the faults of Bush--it wouldn't have happened under his administration or Condi Rice's watch. Not that plenty of bad things didn't happen under his administration--don't get me wrong. But, this issue really disturbs me. They had advance warning.

Also, I'm so sick of republicans who get elected on reasonable issues and then, when they get elected "jobs! economy!" translates into "abortion! Evil women! Evil teachers!!" while jobs leave the state,,transportation issues are unaddressed, and real education issues aren't even considered.

Keeping the Supreme Court sane is our only hope. Especially with Scalito ready to tip it to the far, far, far right.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46454 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1094, 1095, 1096, 1097, 1098, 1099, 1100 ... 1859  Next