| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1561 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 63  Next
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:28 pm 
Tofu Pup

I cultured my Rejuvelac this week (used a mix of grains: red quinoa, white quinoa, barley and brown rice) and wow! is it great - a little tart and very complex & flavorful.

By the way, I hated to throw away the soaking grains so I used them to make a vegan-adapted batch of Peter Reinhart's 'Multigrain Bread Extraordinaire.' They give a lot of great flavor to the bread.

I started the soft-Gruyère and the sharp Cheddar today. The flavor is insanely delicious for both! They'd both make great dips as is, if you can't wait to ferment them.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:32 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

My pub cheddar is mostly cooled off now and it's totally delicious even though I forgot to buy scallions for it. I went the agar route which seems to have worked fine.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:56 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

jdepaula wrote:
By the way, I hated to throw away the soaking grains so I used them to make a vegan-adapted batch of Peter Reinhart's 'Multigrain Bread Extraordinaire.' They give a lot of great flavor to the bread.

Oh good. I was hoping there would be something you could do with the leftover grains. I'll remember that for next time, because I felt bad throwing away so much quinoa.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:09 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My house is looking kind of crazy at the moment! I've got sharp cheddar ageing in the fridge, gouda drying in the pantry, yoghurt fermenting on top of my water heater, and bowls of cashews soaking everywhere. Making a start on gruyere this afternoon!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:43 pm 
Nailed to the V

Coming over! :D

So - the power of the oven. Always going to have rejeluvac culture in there. (and most likely cheese too if it needs to be air-dried. every day I gave it a nice little stir, and and made the sprouts whirl up and i tested it and it was freshy and as lemony as it was GOING to get. I am going to stock up on some cashews, and stuff and make some cheeses next week :D I don't know which but stuff i can do right away!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:47 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I think the gruyere is my favourite straight-from-the-blender cheese yet. I think I'm going to make the hard version so I can use it for the cheese and mustard scones I used to make in my pregan days.

Boyfriend tried some of the sharp cheddar- he still eats cheese but even he was impressed with it. He made a surprised noise and was all 'it DOES taste like cheese!', like he'd been doubting me.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:21 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Brie (page 12):

I just realised I didn't follow the recipe to the letter, I used 1/4 cup of coconut oil (40 grams, I measured before melting, so I know it should be a bit more to fit 1/4 cup) and I should have used 1 cup. It also says 1 pound Basic Cashew Cheese, that's the supposed yield of the recipe, but I think I used less. However, it's tasty, just less solid (so I will never add a whole cup of pure saturated fat to it, it also dilutes the flavour). I've never tried dairy Brie, so I can't tell if this one is similar to it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:08 am 
Nailed to the V

are those peppercorns on top?
I LOVED dairy Brie. it was like the best thing on this earth.

I got some cashews soaking. I am going to make boursin (I've never had that), or maybe basic chevere.
when i go shopping this week I'm going to get the stuff to make guyere. :) and possibly mozzarella.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:19 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Yes, they are optional, fresh herbs can be used, too.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:27 pm 
Nailed to the V

Hmm. i think next time I am going to use my food processor, rather than my blender. when I was scraping it out of my Ninja i saw a little few pieces of nuts, where as I think the food processor will smooth it out before I hit "butter" stage.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:46 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Ack... I'm a little concerned about my rejuvelac. It has a lemony smell and flavor to it, but also a kind of barnyard funk that if I were drinking beer I'd attribute to brettanomyces, which is an airborne yeast, I think. Is it ok or do I need to start over...?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:27 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I made the Brown Piquant Cheese...I brushed it daily with red wine/salt. It is really pungent--almost like a vegan stinky cheese. Its good in small bites...BUT....tonight I made vegan ceasar dressing with it! SO GOOD!!!!

I used about 1/2 cup crumbled cheese
nooch
lemon juice
capers (maybe 1 TBS)
water
pepper
olive oil ( 1/4 cup)
dash vinegar
dijon mustard (2 tsp)

blend in processor or blender. I like mine sort of thick, so I only add the water a little at a time...its so good!!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:10 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My yoghurt didn't work at all. I don't know what's up with it, but it looks and tastes exactly the same as it did when I first poured everything into the jar. It was a really cold day here but I kept it on top of my water heater (which is in a cupboard in my hallway), which is where I usually put bread dough to rise these days but I guess it just didn't cut it. Sadness!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:03 am 
Tofu Pup

Has anyone had luck buying rejuvelac in the Portland area? I heard maybe Whole Foods, but no one seems to know what it is. What section of the store would it be and is it just called rejuvelac or is there another name?
Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:17 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Nikki - I have checked several stores (Whole Foods, Peoples Coop, Alberta Coop and New Seasons) to no avail - try making it with quinoa! That's the easiest.

*If you mean, Portland, OR...no clue about Maine

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:53 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

Erinnerung wrote:
My yoghurt didn't work at all. I don't know what's up with it, but it looks and tastes exactly the same as it did when I first poured everything into the jar. It was a really cold day here but I kept it on top of my water heater (which is in a cupboard in my hallway), which is where I usually put bread dough to rise these days but I guess it just didn't cut it. Sadness!

Aw that's sad! I first made yoghurt like this from a Lebanese cookbook (just subbed the dairy for soy/coconut). I wrap mine in a few heavy blanket layers. The Lebanese book actually suggested to keep everything in the pan then wrap the whole thing in layers but this time I used a glass jar. What yoghurt did you use as the starter? I used coyo natural. My yoghurt isn't as thick as that...but coyo is very thick.

Actually, one thing the Lebanese book said to do that this one didn't is not to stir the yoghurt for 24 hours after you put it in the fridge, at which point you can 'break' it.

So far I've made the yoghurt and cream cheese.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:31 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I find my yoghurt gets thicker over the first 24hrs or so in the fridge. I have found it needs to be warmer than bread dough though- I use the oven set to about 30c. Input a plate in with the jar on top, because the direct heat from the oven shelf was too much.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:29 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Erinnerung wrote:

It's probably the starter. I can make yoghurt with only one brand, and, that brand contains Bifidus and Acidophillus, not S. Thermophilus or L. bulgaricus.

I think the optimal temperature is around 40°C. But, before I had a yoghurt maker, I managed to make it on my counter when air temperature was over 20°C at night, In winter, I would make it on my radiator.

More advices on making yoghurt without a yoghurt maker:
http://www.bryannaclarkgrogan.com/page/page/1999382.htm
http://suite101.com/article/how-to-make ... me-a148623

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:50 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I did wonder if it might be a problem with the starter, like with it maybe not being 'real' yoghurt but instead some kind of substitute. I used Kingland plain yoghurt. The price tag has put me off CoYo so far, but I'm willing to give it a try (especially if three tablespoons will keep me in homemade yoghurt indefinitely!).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:23 pm 
Nailed to the V

basic cashew chevere is in the bowl in my fridge. heee it's all.... well. white mess, but it tastes good :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:43 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

This morning Boyfriend put the sharp cheddar on his sandwich to take to work for lunch, even though he has non-vegan cheese in the fridge. Success!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:49 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I haven't tried anything other than the parmesan yet - it was really tasty - but I'm going to let it air-dry some more before using again since it's not quite *hard*. I wanted to add that I met Miyoko at Chicago VeganMania the other day after witnessing such a great demo of a few cheeses and I'm feeling even more inspired! My girlfriend and friends are also pumped to make some more. Julalegume just raved and raved about the nacho cheese sauce and stuffed shells with almond ricotta they sampled.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:58 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

bekki wrote:
Veg-in-Training wrote:
I want to love this book. Ordered carrageenan today.

Make the pub cheddar and you shall be in love.

It will be next!

Kim Cooks Veg 4U Blog (new blog)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:38 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I made my first cheese from this book--the Gruyere. It has another day or so to ferment, but it tastes so good that it's all I can do not to tuck into the bowl right now. It's a good thing I don't have any crackers in the house.

I can't wait to start on the meltables, but they'll have to wait until I locate some plain unsweetened soy yogurt around here.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:59 am 
Not NOT A Furry

My gouda turned out weird. I followed the recipe to the letter, but maybe I should have cooked it longer or something. It doesn't taste too bad, but it is ugly and the texture is odd.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1561 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 63  Next