| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best vegan biscuits and sausage gravy recipes?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:48 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Hi folks!

I'm on the search for the best vegan biscuits and the best sausage gravy recipe. I've made the tempeh sausage crumbles from the PPK website and think tempeh could make awesome sausage gravy, but haven't found a recipe that really does it for me yet.

Also, almost all of the biscuit recipes I've seen call for shortening. As far as I can tell, we don't have that over here in the Netherlands. Is it okay just to sub margarine for it all?

I also ask because an omni friend of mine in the southern US is trying to eat more veg meals and she loves biscuits and sausage gravy. Because of a crazy tick bite situation, she is now allergic to mammal protein (yes...there is a tick that can make you allergic to meat). I'm trying to help her out with some of her favorite recipes.

Share your favorite recipes if you got 'em!

Post subject: Re: Best vegan biscuits and sausage gravy recipes?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:37 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i am a big fan of the VWAV biscuits and sausage crumble gravy. i don't use tempeh though, i use very small TVP crumbles.

you could use margarine, but even better, use coconut oil (hardened, so it's like shortening). for biscuits i usuallly use a mix of half margarine, half coconut oil. [or all coconut, as lately we can't get margarine without whey or milk additives that is suitable for baking. dammit!]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:49 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

torque wrote:
i am a big fan of the VWAV biscuits and sausage crumble gravy. i don't use tempeh though, i use very small TVP crumbles.

you could use margarine, but even better, use coconut oil (hardened, so it's like shortening). for biscuits i usuallly use a mix of half margarine, half coconut oil. [or all coconut, as lately we can't get margarine without whey or milk additives that is suitable for baking. dammit!]

Ah yes! Good idea. And I knew I had seen a biscuits and gravy recipe in one of my cookbooks, but couldn't remember which one. Thanks for the reminder.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:01 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I haven't made them yet, but I was going to say that I just saw a recipe for biscuits and gravy (plus several other gravy recipes) in Vegan Diner, but then I realized that none of them were sausage gravies, and then I realized I didn't know what sausage gravy actually was or how it differed from other kinds of gravy and then I looked it up online and saw that it's gravy made from sausage drippings and realized I've never had it (that I know of) and that none of the recipes I was going to mention qualify, so actually I have nothing useful to add to this thread, except that maybe the biscuits in Vegan Diner might work for you, if not the gravy and I really can't think of any way to make this sentence ramble on any longer so I'll step out now.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:20 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

lepelaar wrote:
I haven't made them yet, but I was going to say that I just saw a recipe for biscuits and gravy (plus several other gravy recipes) in Vegan Diner, but then I realized that none of them were sausage gravies, and then I realized I didn't know what sausage gravy actually was or how it differed from other kinds of gravy and then I looked it up online and saw that it's gravy made from sausage drippings and realized I've never had it (that I know of) and that none of the recipes I was going to mention qualify, so actually I have nothing useful to add to this thread, except that maybe the biscuits in Vegan Diner might work for you, if not the gravy and I really can't think of any way to make this sentence ramble on any longer so I'll step out now.

Hahaha...thanks! I remember sausage gravy as just having the flavors of sausage (like fennel and sage and smoke) along with some crumbled bits of sausage. I think the tempeh sausage crumbles could fit that.

I don't have Vegan Diner! I wish I did. I'll do a Google Book search....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:23 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

pickledtreats wrote:
lepelaar wrote:

Hahaha...thanks! I remember sausage gravy as just having the flavors of sausage (like fennel and sage and smoke) along with some crumbled bits of sausage. I think the tempeh sausage crumbles could fit that.

I don't have Vegan Diner! I wish I did. I'll do a Google Book search....

Okay...I got a gravy recipe from Amazon's look inside, but the biscuits aren't available. Bummertown!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:34 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I was going to say Vegan Diner. I'm a huuuuge biscuits & gravy snob and it's the real deal. I add some crumbled Gimme Lean to the gravy.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:44 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

The gravy is easy. Just fix yourself a roux and stream some milk in. Maybe some sausage and lots of black pepper or lawry's. Now, the biscuits I have trouble with. I did the VWAV recipe once and the darn things hardly rose. I think next time I'm going to just throw the dough in greased muffin tins and hope they pull through.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:51 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

I could probably drink the gravy from Vegan Diner, it's THAT good. There's an awesome sausage recipe in there too, which goes perfectly with the gravy, and the biscuits are super tasty also. Aside from nooch toast, it's pretty much the only breakfast I ever want from September to March.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:52 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i have the vegan diner cookbook and noticed the biscuits call for shortening, can i just sub an equivalent amount of vegan butter in stick form?

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:56 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Yes, I've used Earth Balance buttery sticks.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:01 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

bookwormbethie wrote:
i have the vegan diner cookbook and noticed the biscuits call for shortening, can i just sub an equivalent amount of vegan butter in stick form?

I'm going to try using coconut oil as recommended by a few folks here since it's hard like shortening. But good to know that margarine works just as well!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:03 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

molly wrote:
I was going to say Vegan Diner. I'm a huuuuge biscuits & gravy snob and it's the real deal. I add some crumbled Gimme Lean to the gravy.

Which gravy recipe? There seem to be a few in there - or at least more than one. The one I got from the search was the creamy sage gravy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:26 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

pickledtreats wrote:
molly wrote:

Which gravy recipe? There seem to be a few in there - or at least more than one. The one I got from the search was the creamy sage gravy.

Yes, that's the one!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:46 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Maybe it's because it was my first vegan gravy, but my favorite is still the white bean one from WVAV, but I make it with crumbled Julie Hasson Italian Sausages. Plus, it's really filling, which is great.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:15 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Julie's recipes from the book are on her blog! http://www.juliehasson.com/2011/05/biscuits-gravy/

I'm definitely going to try her version, probably this weekend because now I'm craving it. I have done a flour/EB roux, plus onion + garlic, salt + pepper, unsweetened soymilk, and some Gimme Lean. It's good but could use a little more flavor, I think.

I use EB sticks for biscuits, and it always works well.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:57 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Amy wrote:
Julie's recipes from the book are on her blog! http://www.juliehasson.com/2011/05/biscuits-gravy/

I'm definitely going to try her version, probably this weekend because now I'm craving it. I have done a flour/EB roux, plus onion + garlic, salt + pepper, unsweetened soymilk, and some Gimme Lean. It's good but could use a little more flavor, I think.

I use EB sticks for biscuits, and it always works well.

Awesome! Thanks for the link.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:43 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Update! Made Julie's biscuits with coconut oil and the gravy. So freaking delicious. Then I added some tempeh sausage crumbles over the slathered biscuits and gravy. Even more delicious. Thanks for the links guys!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:45 am 
WELFARIST!

Mmmmm...I love biscuits with sausagy gravy. My fave is the VwaV one and I haven't tried the Vegan Diner one, but I'm sure it's great, too. I'd like to add sausage crumbles to whatever though because for me that really completes it.