| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: October Food Spending Challenge!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:01 am 
Semen Strong

So here we go again! Happy MoFo and Happy October to everyone!

I'm shooting for $350 again. I think the key for me is going to be cutting down on the processed foods and going back to lots of veg and beans.

Post subject: Re: October Food Spending Challenge!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:56 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I am so on this. I failed miserably in September. This month I'm taking out my food budget in cash and once it's gone for the week, it's gone.

I'm aiming for $100/week. Spent $82 yesterday so I think I'm in good shape for a small mid-week shop.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:09 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I'll take out cash soon, just have to get to an ATM! (Which I did yesterday, but psyched myself out since I'd *already* gotten this week's food. Sigh. I've spent about $50 for this week, so I'll take out $160 for the last three and a half weeks (40 of which for that last week which is half november, so $140 for the rest of October).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:18 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I'm in! I am going to keep track of this more seriously this time. This month I'm gonna aim for $50 a week. My worst habit, I notice, is that I follow my budget fairly well and then spend $30-$40 of my paycheck on takeout for everyone (and by everyone, I mean me most of the time). So I'm going to try and confine ALL my food expenses this time around.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:40 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I try all the time, but work travel gets in the way (they send me somewhere and pay for the hotel, but I have to pay for myself to eat out, which is crazy expensive in cute Northern countries, easily 2x what I would spend in the Bay Area). This month I'm just travelling to see Amma a few times (Berlin and Houten), so maybe it'll work and I'll actually manage to spend less than 70 per week? I hope I hope I hope?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:59 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm so in! This month my partner goes back to school, so we are pretty much living off my maternity leave benefits - eeep! - until his benefits start, probably by November. So lots of rice and beans and veggies. And using only cash! I took out $160 for the first two weeks, so a medium trip at the start of the week, which leave me with enough to top up on veggies/herbs to spice up rice/beans/noodle bowls/etc.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:53 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

400$ for all of October for 2 adults (1 VERY pregnant) and 1 child

Week of Oct 1st: Just spent 130$, but a lot of it is stuff I was running out of, which I will not have to buy again for a long while (oil, flour, etc)
Total: 270$ left

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:04 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I want to join too but I won't set a dollar amount. I think I will just be part of the thread and be more aware. I guess it helps that my blog for Mofo is about being frugal. I chose that theme mainly because I have not been as frugal as I had been in the past and want to get back to being more conscious of my spending.

My problem with a number is that our household has gone from two adults and three teens to one adult and two teens in the past few months. It's weird with five people: I, the main shopper and cook, didn't always know who was eating/drinking what, so I am still figuring that out.

I just started using Mint to keep track of my bank accounts and I like it. I especially like how I can break down the entries. For example, when I go to Costco and spend $90, $30 might be for cat supplies and $60 for groceries, but I can split those up in Mint.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:24 am 
And you never will.

I'm in again! I lost track in September, so I don't know what my final number was, but I was going through some shiitake so I'm not going to beat myself up about it. This month I'm sticking to cash only and I plan to be more careful about separating out business expenses vs groceries (which can be tough when I'm shopping for baking supplies and our personal stuff at the same time, with a toddler who would rather be doing anything but sitting through shopping and two separate transactions).

I've budgeted $400 for the month, as always this includes all food, household goods (such as toilet paper and cleaning supplies), and any eating out we do, for two adults and one toddler.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:43 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

This month I don't have a specific number I'm aiming for, but I will be keeping track because I want to work through some of the extra grains and staple stuff we have stored up in the pantry and see how much is actually spent after all that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:51 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I'm in this month. After a super expensive grocery trip yesterday (which didn't even proivde enough food for a week) my partner and I decided it is time to start budgeting. We're starting off at $100 a week for groceres and household items and will hopefully work towards less as we get better about cooking and budgeting.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:26 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Whoop! Looking forward to this month of budgeting because I actually done well last month. Going to go with the €100 a fortnight and then €10 a fortnight extra for eating out.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:35 pm 
Dead by dawn

I think I'm in for this month. Sort of, anyway. I have been on an "off-season" for two weeks and able to get back to meal planning after a hectic summer. I really want to keep a handle on that to save money but I don't really know what's reasonable for me (one person, training for endurance events.) So I think I'm just going to start by keeping my focus on time management/meal planning, and keeping track of food money to give myself a baseline goingg forward. I'm just going to track food spending because household items aren't my nemesis, and I'm going to go by the calendar month so I won't count yesterday's groceries (I will probably change that if I give myself a goal for November because a weekly goal seems more manageable.)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:37 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

My goal for the month is $100. I have tons of dried grains and beans at home already so I don't think it will be too hard.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:41 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I'm in! This is my first month on a reduced wage, so I'm hoping to stick to £50 (about $80) a week. That's for food and household stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:50 pm 
Impressive boner

I'm aiming to stick to £200 for the whole month. Half of that has already gone on a big home delivery so the rest will come out in cash and be used for weekly fresh produce.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:39 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

i'm doing pretty good. i have $113 left for the next 2 weeks (we refill our budget envelopes on the 15th) i think $300 is good. on 9/15, i refilled the envelopes with $2 to spare. mr. carrot wanted lightlife bacon and daiya sandwiches for brunch this past weekend, and we made a $20 coffee purchase, so we're a little behind, but we should be good.
(on 8/15 i was $123 over budget. but i was still restocking the depleted pantry, so that was expected.)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:01 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I'm in! I think I'll aim for $60 bucks a week? At the very least this'll give me an understanding of what I ACTUALLY spend (which I already know is too much.)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:25 pm 

In again. I lost count of September but guess I went about £20 over again.

Today I spent £2.95 on (delicious South Indian) lunch because I didn't feel up to making packed lunch.

Was really low on food in general so went shopping. A few luxury goods like chocolate chips and freezer convenience foods but mostly vegetables and soya milk and stuff like that which should last me a couple of weeks.

Total spend today £40.04 (including lunch).

I think it'll be easiest if I just keep my receipts and then tot them up in thread. I'm going to aim for £120 this month since I'll be eating out to encourage a local pub that has chosen to dedicate local food fortnight to vegan food!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:52 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I think I am going to aim for $75 per week. Partially because we only have $21 left in our account for groceries next week, and also because I think we could spend less than we have been. I feel like I have been wasting a lot of money this summer on produce, because it has looked so yummy and been so cheap compared to winter prices, but I have been throwing a lot away. I always plan dinners and make a list, but produce has been the one thing that I give myself so leeway with, so I need to put an end to that. Seems like prices are starting to go up too, ugh. I also have a groupon for 4 weeks from a local CSA, so that should help us spend less to.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:46 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I'm in! I'm shooting for $100/week. Boyfriend has a giant appetite (he is a cute giant boyfriend so I don't mind), which has really cut down on how much I have in the way of leftovers. I still have a few more weeks with the farmers market, which should help, and I'm hoping to get more into the couponing thing. Should help that money is really tight so we kind of have to...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:48 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I'm in too. Going to shoot for $30/week and no eating out. I honestly want to see how long I last without caving & buying a meal out. I'm serious about my house buying budget. If only I could get my makeup spending under control :P

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:52 pm 
And you never will.

I went shopping for the week today and spent $56, but I forgot to get grapes and I'm almost out of conditioner, so I'm going to have to make another trip at some point.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:17 am 
Smuggling Raisins

I'm in. I'm aiming for $100/month. This shouldn't be too bad, since I have a worker-share in a CSA, which doesn't finish until the end of the month.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:43 pm 

Total up to £42.04. I bought a black forest cupcake to support a local vegan business who is selling cakes in a non-vegan cafe. Weirdly, when I asked the girl I was buying the cake off at the cafe whether they sell vegan savoury food as well she looked totally confused and said no, even though I then spotted a blackboard advertising falafel and hummus right next to her head!