| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Low carb veganism?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:17 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

EmperorTomatoKetchup wrote:
from what i gather, there are multiple types of paleo diets. some are cool with dairy or potatoes or whatever, and others are not. a raw vegan diet would probably jive with many (most?) of them.

and flax is more of an oilseed than a grain, though i remember seeing some inane paleo site where they tell you to avoid flax oil because you shouldn't eat furniture polish. seriously.
Did you tell them you can eat what you want and to mind their own beeswax?

buh-dum-tshh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:19 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Oh, and I think you can also eat mushrooms on Paleo. They'd make a nice addition to all kinds of meals.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:45 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

I happened to win a copy of Practically Raw a few months back, so I've definitely been looking to that for inspiration. It's interesting though, she conveniently has nutrition facts for every single recipe - and many raw recipes are still quite high in carbs. It's a good place to start though. I think I've come to accept that I'm simply going to have more carbs than a true Paleo diet would, and at least aim for not more carbs than protein. And with all the nuts and seeds there will be a lot of fat - but good fat.

Cornelie, I love your meal plan list. I think that's exactly the kind of thing I'm ending up with, even though it definitely has more carbs than this program would like. (Did you know chia has 5 g of carbs per T and only 3 g of protein? I had no idea until yesterday, since I was thinking chia pudding breakfast too.)

Any further thoughts let me know, and I'll keep you all posted. :) Like Chickie said, Paleo is such a big thing right now, it would be wonderful if my original post could help others to have the tools to keep people out of the Paleo world. :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:03 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

abcvegan wrote:
(Did you know chia has 5 g of carbs per T and only 3 g of protein? I had no idea until yesterday, since I was thinking chia pudding breakfast too.)

Almost all of those carbs are fiber though, not digestible carbs. Most low carbers only count the 'net' or digestible carbs in their foods, and leave the fiber out.

This wikipedia article has a lot of info on the role of fiber in digestion. Mostly fiber slows the absorption of nutrients and helps keep you satiated for longer.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:17 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

My question to people so freaked about carbs would be that I bet cavemen didn't know what carbs were and I bet they ate the fork out of fruits when they found them.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:33 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

Cornelie wrote:
abcvegan wrote:
(Did you know chia has 5 g of carbs per T and only 3 g of protein? I had no idea until yesterday, since I was thinking chia pudding breakfast too.)

Almost all of those carbs are fiber though, not digestible carbs. Most low carbers only count the 'net' or digestible carbs in their foods, and leave the fiber out.

This wikipedia article has a lot of info on the role of fiber in digestion. Mostly fiber slows the absorption of nutrients and helps keep you satiated for longer.

Ah, thank you!! Man I have a lot to learn on this, having never counted calories/carbs/whatever in my life. Glad you guys are here. :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:48 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

bekki wrote:
My question to people so freaked about carbs would be that I bet cavemen didn't know what carbs were and I bet they ate the fork out of fruits when they found them.

They probably did :-)
Fruits were not available to them year round though, and they were also not yet bred and selected to be as big and as high in fructose as most fruits are today.

However, my reasons for keeping the carbs in check are based on what I've read about the effects on modern people, not vague ideas about what the 'typical' cave woman or man used to eat. That varied widely from region to region, and they probably ate a lot of stuff you can't buy in any health food store or supermarket (wild carrots and tiny wild apples, beech nuts, larvae, grasshoppers, you name it).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:13 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Some more meal ideas:

Zucchini noodle 'pasta' with a white nut-based sauce with mushrooms and veg or a tomato sauce and nut/flax based (raw) meatballs or nut cheese.

If you'd be willing to step outside the strict paleo framework from time to time, a chili with vegan mince or (if you want to stick to whole foods) white or black soy beans would be nice too. Serve with some avocado slices or guac and you're done.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:18 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Veganbody wrote:
Hi,
I try to low carb too, but for me that means I don't eat pasta, rice, bread etc. Or if I do, maybe once or twice a week I'll have brown rice but that's it.
By doing that, it tends not to make too much difference on the legume side of things.d
There are so many delicious things to make which are low on the carb side of things. Isa's book - Apetite for Reduction is great. Check out my blog for some ideas too if you like. http://www.veganbody.net

Yes I agree. We eat like that most of the time too. Some of our non-veg friends like to be a little more strict about the carbs though. When I cook for them I really try to stick to 10-20 gram of carb per meal, and that means no legumes except maybe soy beans.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:03 pm 
Tofu Pup

Pretty much all low-carb and lower-carb diets involve some increasing of fat--not just increasing the protein. I don't eat really low carb but I do have to pay attention to carb intake because of my IBS and hypoglycemia. I've found the best way to get an appropriate amount of calories and nutrients is to add plenty of healthy fats to my meals--coconut oil, avocado, nuts and seeds, etc. I definitely eat more calories from fat than protein which might not work for someone who's an intense athlete, but if you're just trying to lose weight/be healthy I think it's fine.

Oh, and focusing on higher-protein 'grains' like quinoa instead of wheat or rice would probably be helpful. I mean, obviously quinoa has plenty of carbohydrates, but at least you're getting other good stuff with it as well. Probably sprouted would be the best option of all.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:28 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I'm planning on periodically going low carb, just for two weeks at a time. I'm struggling a bit for breakfast ideas. Toast is one of my favourite foods, & I plan on cutting out all breads - low carb breakfast makes me sad! Plain soy yogurt & raspberries, or a smoothie, is one option. What about chickpea flour? 18% carb, but if you made an omelette with silken tofu & filled it with mushrooms & asparagus or something, do you think that's low enough carb-wise?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:23 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Karena wrote:
I'm planning on periodically going low carb, just for two weeks at a time. I'm struggling a bit for breakfast ideas. Toast is one of my favourite foods, & I plan on cutting out all breads - low carb breakfast makes me sad! Plain soy yogurt & raspberries, or a smoothie, is one option. What about chickpea flour? 18% carb, but if you made an omelette with silken tofu & filled it with mushrooms & asparagus or something, do you think that's low enough carb-wise?

Depends on how low you want to go, but if you're aiming for something like 50-100 grams of carb a day, that type of breakfast would be fine.

Some options which are lower in carbs: tofu scramble, flax crackers or hot cereal with flax, ground nuts and bran. I have a recipe for nice very low-carb waffles on my website. It's in Dutch, so let me know if you're interested but have trouble figuring it out.

You can also bake your own low carb bread to make toast. I have recipes for that too: an airy one, and a firm one.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:33 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

Karena wrote:

Let's see, few things...

First, what I learned doing this - low carb life makes me sad too, but it's totally doable, and your taste buds do change a lot to get used to it. It was fascinating to see how many carbs I eat that are unnecessary, even though I am absolutely adding some of them back in now that it's over. I recommend giving it a real chance to just eat more veggies instead of trying to replace those carbs with substitutes - it's hard, but fascinating to see how great your body feels.

Second, if you have a dehydrator, you can make some "breads" that are low carb from nuts and seeds. They're only about 40 or 50 bucks on Amazon, so may be highly worth it for you.

Third, other options.
Smoothies are a great idea. I've become addicted to my green smoothies and love how filling they are. Really do keep you going for ages, plus give you so many nutrients! Finally giving them a fair shot may be my biggest win out of trying to do the low-carb thing. :) Getting them to taste right can take a bit of experimenting, but once you do... WIN! And once you get going, seemingly anything works. :) I posted my first successful basic recipe here:
http://www.abcvegan.com/h-is-for-hemp/
A great idea for breakfast if you miss the feeling of a bowl of cereal is chia pudding. Again, there's allll sorts of variations if you google it, but details on chia and my basic recipe here:
http://www.abcvegan.com/c-is-for-chia/
The omelette thing or any variety of tofu and veggies in an egg-like consistency totally works. Someone recommended the one on FatFreeVegan to me, and it worked pretty well:
http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2007/09/ve ... r-one.html
I found JL's tempeh scramble to be waaaaay better than any tofu scramble ever:
http://jlgoesvegan.com/scrambled-tempeh/
Oh, and that reminds me! Tempeh bacon... I'm not usually a fan, but I wrote about one successful recipe here:
http://www.abcvegan.com/bonus-post-because-holy-crap/

Wow! So many good options! I hadn't even realized how much I'd learned.... :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:33 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Karena wrote:

I don't know how low carb you're planning on going, but here's my list of breakfasts with 30g carb and at least 15g protein.

For chickpea flour, get the kind sold at Indian markets rather than the Bob's Red Mill brand. Bob's is higher carb. There's also soy grits if you can find them and don't mind eating tons of soy.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:40 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Thanks for the advice everyone! That gives me a lot to go on. I did a low-carb diet when I was vegetarian, so a vegan version is new to me. Love that list mollyjade! Thanks for the links abcvegan. I don't like tempeh, but the omelette sure looks good. Cornelie, I didn't know you could make low-carb bread - great! I tried to use Google translate on your page, but it didn't work for some reason.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:49 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Hmm, I never had complaints about our website and Google translate before. If you copy the text of the recipes into the translation window at the GT website it should definitely work. If you keep having problems, let me know which recipes you are most interested in and I'll translate them myself.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:58 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Ah, I remember a recipe for Low Carb bread I've always wanted to try out but didn't get around to yet. The recipe is German, but here is the very short translation:

1 Package dry yeast (7g)
1 tsp salt
50g chickpea flour (optional but helps to feed the yeast)
100g ground flax
100g ground almonds
250g gluten flour
roughly 300g water
bread spices to taste (e.g. fennel, coriander, caraway).

Instructions are pretty straightforward: mix dry ingredients, add water and (if neccessary) adjust amount of water until the dough feels like bread dough. Let this one rest and rise for a while (ca. 60 minutes, until doubled) in a loaf pan, then bake at 150-180°C for ca. 60 minutes. test for doneness with a wooden toothpick.

This recipe reads similar to cornelies but the ratio of flax and almonds is higher.

For those interested, here is the link to the original recipe:
http://vegetarisch-rezept.de/low-carb-brot-rezept/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:06 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

That bread looks very good. Thank you for posting it! I think it might be somewhere in between my dense and airy breads. I'll give it a try.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:03 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Lily wrote:
Ah, I remember a recipe for Low Carb bread I've always wanted to try out but didn't get around to yet. The recipe is German, but here is the very short translation:

1 Package dry yeast (7g)
1 tsp salt
50g chickpea flour (optional but helps to feed the yeast)
100g ground flax
100g ground almonds
250g gluten flour
roughly 300g water
bread spices to taste (e.g. fennel, coriander, caraway).

Instructions are pretty straightforward: mix dry ingredients, add water and (if neccessary) adjust amount of water until the dough feels like bread dough. Let this one rest and rise for a while (ca. 60 minutes, until doubled) in a loaf pan, then bake at 150-180°C for ca. 60 minutes. test for doneness with a wooden toothpick.

This recipe reads similar to cornelies but the ratio of flax and almonds is higher.

For those interested, here is the link to the original recipe:
http://vegetarisch-rezept.de/low-carb-brot-rezept/

I finally made the bread and it is good! Although I'm not the biggest fan of the very seitan-y chewiness and will probably try to replace some of the gluten with soy flour. And I'm thinking about adding sunflower seeds, sesame or other seeds/nuts.

I any case, the recipe above is a really good base recipe for trying out variations.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:26 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Bump! My partner is thinking about going low carb again for a bit, so I could use some inspiration. Some other folks have also expressed interest for low carb, so maybe we can help each other.

Yesterday I made roasted cauliflower in a coconut curry sauce with tandoori tofu and some cashews for dinner. We had silken tofu chocolate mousse for dessert. Lunch today was a tofu scramble, coleslaw and avocado. Tonight I'm going to make a lasagna with grilled zucchini 'noodles', tofu ricotta and almond creamcheese topping. We'll probably have some strawberry sorbet from the vitamix for dessert. It's all been really tasty, but I could definitely use more meal suggestions, and maybe a little less tofu.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:42 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

It's not really low carb, but I've been eating *lower* carb for a bit lately to help control my blood sugars.

Last night was tofu and vegetable stir-fry with soba noodles. We used just one of those little bundles of soba noodles for four servings (two dinners and two lunches), so it was light on noodles. It was about 30g net carbs, 23 g protein per serving. Breakfast was Kashi GoLean Crisp. I was so excited to find Kashi GoLean without honey!

Apparently I'm obsessed with lists. This is my latest: lower carb, higher protein vegan food.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:24 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Thanks for reviving this Cornelie! I'm interested in trying meals that don't revolve around grains more often. I'm thinking of making this salad of lentils, beets, and squash (subbing tofu for goat cheese):

http://healthymamainfo.com/2012/03/lent ... ese-salad/

I'm mostly just interested as a way to add variety to my meals so I don't know much about counting carbs or anything, but this thread has lots of interesting ideas.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:32 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Thanks for the input guys! Personally I am fine with legumes and small portions of grains, and I don't think Mr. Cornelie wants to avoid them either, but we have an omni friend visiting who is quite strict with the carb counting, so anything remotely starchy is off the menu for a few days. She won't even eat peanuts or cashews, let alone beans... I am very happy that she is open trying my vegan cooking at all.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:21 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Cornelie, have you made seitan yet? I eat low carb (always <100 grams a day, usually <50) on dietician's orders most of the time now (except when I fall off the wagon on weekends, which I always pay for in feeling hungover the next day). Seitan is really a godsend, because I was getting really sick of tempeh and got sick of tofu like the first week I started doing this. The nice thing about seitan is that it's not just one thing with a particular flavor and texture profile, the way tofu and tempeh can be. It is hard for me not to know that I'm eating tofu, but seitan comes in a million variations.

Now I really only eat tofu in tofu scramble (made with a splash of unsweetened soy milk, a little nooch, and .5 oz of daiya per serving plus the usual spices and black salt). I eat a lot of braised or pan-fried marinated tempeh. And a lot of seitan. I made this: http://vegandad.blogspot.com/2008/08/sa ... steak.html for dinner tonight (well under 10g/carbs per serving). My family had it with roasted potatoes, gravy, and greens. I had it with a little bit of the greens and a little bit of the gravy. I have also been making a lot of JENNA's seitan, which is very versatile: http://good-good-things.com/2011/10/seitan-and-recipes/. There are a million seitan sausage recipes out there, too, most of which are delicious.

I'm also eating a fair amount of processed foods - Lightlife sausage, tofu dogs, Nate's meatballs, that kind of thing. I also use low-carb condiments - mustard, splenda-sweetened ketchup (not much, because it is actually kind of gross tasting), sugar-free breakfast syrup (to make breakfast sausage palatable, I actually love this stuff), low-cal mayo (Spectrum makes a good one, you can make a nice tuno salad with tempeh, spices, kelp flakes, mustard, chopped dill pickle, and mayo and serve as lettuce wraps). I think it is kind of hard to do a strict carb counting vegan diet without adding in some of the processed stuff. It just gets really boring so quickly.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:50 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Yes I do make my own seitan very often, but we ran out and I didn't have/take time to make a new batch this week. Thanks for the recipe links, it's always nice to have more variety!

I also use wheat gluten, soy flour/protein isolate and flaxmeal to make low carb bread and wraps. I like to have protein in the form of bread, to eat with a soup or salad etc.

I'm in the Netherlands, so the options for 'processed' proteins are a bit limited, especially if we're trying to keep the budget in check. The affordable options at the supermarket are increasing, but they are often higher in carbs than homemade stuff. At the health food store we pay $4-5 for a small package of sausage or two burgers, so that's a once-a-week luxury.

Kudos to you for staying under 50 gram of carbs a day! I find it's quite difficult to get enough calories and have some variety if you want to stay that low.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next