| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13640 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 546  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:25 am 
Offline
Brain Made of Raw Seitan
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:23 pm
Posts: 1212
Location: Under a bridge
SassyOh wrote:
New peeve: I work with someone who has inexplicably started offering me blatantly non-vegan food, saying, "I know you're vegan, and you don't eat meat, but I brought meat-stuffed-meat with meat sauce that you're welcome to try." I cannot figure it out. She's always been friendly and curious about the food I eat, and has never felt compelled to offer me food in the past (we've worked together for about six months). I always politely decline and she never seems offended, but...uh, weird?

I dunno. From my point of view, it feels awkward not to offer to share, even if the person you're with can't eat it. For example, my dad has a bunch of food allergies so there's a ton of stuff I can eat and he can't, so when we go out to eat I usually end up saying something like "I would offer you a taste of this but it has a ton of gluten in it, sorry." I don't know if that makes it better/worse, but to me it feels awkward not to say anything. Maybe your co-worker is like that too, but just has an awkward way of expressing it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:12 pm 
Offline
Inflexitarian
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:17 am
Posts: 759
Location: Toronto
I'm not bothered by people offering me non-vegan things; I just politely decline. Doesn't bother me in the slightest. But the phrase "I know you won't eat this but..." rubs me the wrong way.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:19 pm 
Offline
Not a creepy cheese pocket person
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:17 pm
Posts: 4115
Location: Austin
couroupita wrote:
Pet peeve that happens all the time, including tonight: going to a restaurant and saying no cheese when I order, then it comes out with cheese. Not easily picked off cheese, but all melty, or crumbled, or shreds so it's really all over anything. Cheese makes me ill so I have to send it back and then I feel like crepe for wasting food.

I totally understand when a restaurant is busy and mistakes happen orif it was more of an infrequent occurrence but for pete's sake, the restaurant I went to tonight was totally empty. And it happens at least 50% of the time. Is it so weird to leave off cheese (or mayo, or sour cream)? I guess I'll just start saying it twice, which makes me feel kinda jerky. Last night we went to a deep dish place that has vegan cheese (and a vegan pizza) but the last 3 times we've gone, they've put regular cheese on the vegan pizza! And then they won't make you another deep dish because it takes 30-40 min to bake. We triple checked last night that the order was corret (politely, of course) and they acted all offended. Gah!

When this happened this weekend (I had asked for my dish "vegan, including no cheese"), the server said, "oh, you're vegan vegan."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:52 pm 
Offline
Nooch of Earl
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:18 pm
Posts: 3750
Location: Bella Napoli
Maybe this belongs in first world problems? But:

The costco tofu comes in weird size packages (2x19 oz, I think), which is sort of fine, except that it comes in 4 blocks. So putting it in the Tofu Xpress is both time consuming (because there are 4 different blocks and you can't press them together) and difficult because it smooshes the tofu too much.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:08 pm 
Offline
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:57 pm
Posts: 6517
Location: Boston, MA
In case anyone cares as much as I do about Cinnamon Sweets, here's my email from MOM Brands.

Quote:
Thank you for your email message regarding Malt-O-Meal Cinnamon Toasters™ cereal.

We recently removed dairy from this product. Therefore, you will see packages with and without dairy listed on our product. Changes like this one can take several months to be seen at the store shelf.

Food allergic consumers should rely on our package ingredient labels for the most accurate information on a product. If a product contains any of the FDA major eight allergens (egg, milk, peanut, tree nut, fish, shellfish, soy, and wheat) it will be clearly listed on the ingredient label in bold print.


So my addiction can not only live on!

_________________
I would eat Dr. Cow pocket cheese in a second. I would eat it if you hid it under your hat, or in your backpack, but not if it was in your shoe. That's where I draw the line. -allularpunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:19 pm 
Offline
And you never will.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:41 pm
Posts: 4617
Location: Memphis
annak wrote:
Maybe this belongs in first world problems? But:

The costco tofu comes in weird size packages (2x19 oz, I think), which is sort of fine, except that it comes in 4 blocks. So putting it in the Tofu Xpress is both time consuming (because there are 4 different blocks and you can't press them together) and difficult because it smooshes the tofu too much.

Your Costco sells tofu?!

_________________
Sometimes I think, it's really my lack of cybernetic implants that keeps me from being truly human. - Mars
Every time a man helps me put my coat on a stream comes gushing from between my legs. - Mr. Shankly


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:41 pm 
Offline
Nooch of Earl
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:18 pm
Posts: 3750
Location: Bella Napoli
poopiebitch wrote:
annak wrote:
Maybe this belongs in first world problems? But:

The costco tofu comes in weird size packages (2x19 oz, I think), which is sort of fine, except that it comes in 4 blocks. So putting it in the Tofu Xpress is both time consuming (because there are 4 different blocks and you can't press them together) and difficult because it smooshes the tofu too much.

Your Costco sells tofu?!


Yes, it's with the Asian stuff in the close-to-the-deli refrigerated section (near the udon, sushi, seaweed salad, etc).

This is the opposite of a pet peeve but they also started selling recently (or i found them and they'd been there all along) gardein ground meat and field roast sassages. There should be a costco thread like the TJs one.

ETA another costco-related vegan pet peeve: how do you make a tub of hummus THAT enormous and then put dairy in it without realizing you're a complete and total crasshole? It boggles the mind.

I think only the cilantro jalapeno one is vegan. FEH.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:25 pm 
Offline
Huffs Nutritional Yeast
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:57 am
Posts: 115
Location: Kessel, Outer rim
annak wrote:
how do you make a tub of hummus THAT enormous and then put dairy in it without realizing you're a complete and total crasshole? It boggles the mind.


I just loled so loud I woke my dog up...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:06 pm 
Offline
WRETCHED
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:54 pm
Posts: 8938
Location: Maryland/DC area
This is mostly me just being naive but... a brand of sorbet is dairy free. They have a coconut sorbet so I'm thinking that it is made with coconut cream. I bought it twice in the past. Somehow, I assumed but I looked and it has skim milk in it... So every other container you have has no dairy but you put milk into your coconut sorbet?

Then I decide to look at other options in the store. All natural fruit bars, right? Fruit bars have no dairy in them but a coconut one has dairy. I give up.

_________________
You are all a disgrace to vegans. Go f*ck yourselves, especially linanil.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:52 pm 
Offline
Grandfathered In
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:41 pm
Posts: 9700
Location: Seattle
linanil wrote:
I give up.


But that's just what they want!

I mean, that's just what they want!

_________________
Did somebody say Keep on rockin?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:24 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:08 pm
Posts: 4066
Location: Pennsylvania
nickvicious wrote:
starrynight87 wrote:
ndpittman wrote:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't feel it necessary to announce to various servers that I'm vegan. I went home for a week, and whenever I'd try to ask questions about something, my mom or dad had to announce, "She's a vegan!" I think they're proud or amazed or something. I don't know. My issue is that not everyone knows what that means, so don't interrupt me when I'm asking about egg/dairy/fish stock.

I hate when they do that too. My parents do the same thing.

Ha! My father is in that club, too. I think we should just accept that our omnivore parents are much better at vegan dining than we are.

Or so they think.

Chicki wrote:
hummus with dairy in it.

That's a thing?

_________________
Music Therapy Blog
Personal Blog


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:58 am 
Offline
Nailed to the V

Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:19 pm
Posts: 575
Location: Sacred City, California
Limone wrote:
SassyOh wrote:
New peeve: I work with someone who has inexplicably started offering me blatantly non-vegan food, saying, "I know you're vegan, and you don't eat meat, but I brought meat-stuffed-meat with meat sauce that you're welcome to try." I cannot figure it out. She's always been friendly and curious about the food I eat, and has never felt compelled to offer me food in the past (we've worked together for about six months). I always politely decline and she never seems offended, but...uh, weird?

I dunno. From my point of view, it feels awkward not to offer to share, even if the person you're with can't eat it. For example, my dad has a bunch of food allergies so there's a ton of stuff I can eat and he can't, so when we go out to eat I usually end up saying something like "I would offer you a taste of this but it has a ton of gluten in it, sorry." I don't know if that makes it better/worse, but to me it feels awkward not to say anything. Maybe your co-worker is like that too, but just has an awkward way of expressing it.


I probably wasn't clear in my original post, but the thing I think is weird is that this is a new thing she's doing. Once she found out I was vegan she stopped offering to share food, and was always respectful and polite. I guess it's not a PEEVE, exactly, but it's just been coming up a lot (we have several staff birthdays around this time, so there's always a potluck these days) and I don't get it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:29 am 
Offline
Should Write a Goddam Book Already
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:25 am
Posts: 1038
I had a sinus infection earlier this year, and at the moment I have a throat infection, but for some reason some people seem to hold that against me because I'm vegan. (I never knew that cheese and steak prevented infections. Probably the antibiotics in there. Pffff.)

_________________
The night is dark and full of turnips.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:21 am 
Offline
Bathes in Braggs
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:48 pm
Posts: 1374
starrynight87 wrote:
Chicki wrote:
hummus with dairy in it.

That's a thing?


Yeah, that's ridiculous. The little speciality foodie shop in town carries "feta hummus" now. It's just whipped cheese with herbs that's spreadable. There are no chickpeas in sight! Why do they have to call it hummus?! Most confusing/stupid thing ever.

SassyOh wrote:
Limone wrote:
SassyOh wrote:
New peeve: I work with someone who has inexplicably started offering me blatantly non-vegan food, saying, "I know you're vegan, and you don't eat meat, but I brought meat-stuffed-meat with meat sauce that you're welcome to try." I cannot figure it out. She's always been friendly and curious about the food I eat, and has never felt compelled to offer me food in the past (we've worked together for about six months). I always politely decline and she never seems offended, but...uh, weird?

I dunno. From my point of view, it feels awkward not to offer to share, even if the person you're with can't eat it. For example, my dad has a bunch of food allergies so there's a ton of stuff I can eat and he can't, so when we go out to eat I usually end up saying something like "I would offer you a taste of this but it has a ton of gluten in it, sorry." I don't know if that makes it better/worse, but to me it feels awkward not to say anything. Maybe your co-worker is like that too, but just has an awkward way of expressing it.


My mom does the same thing whenever we go out to eat. She'll get some omni dish, and I usually say that it looks good (commenting on the presentation or whatever), and she immediately is like, "DO YOU WANT SOME?!?" in the most excited hold-crap-my-veg-daughter-wants-to-eat-meat-I've-been-waiting-for-this-moment-my-whole-life voice. I think I just have to stop saying anything to her when the food comes.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:17 am 
Offline
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:57 pm
Posts: 6517
Location: Boston, MA
My thing with the omnivore offering is that there are a couple of people that ask me if I'd like to 'cheat a little' and have something. Similarly a co-worker asked if I was 'good' while I was in Brazil.

_________________
I would eat Dr. Cow pocket cheese in a second. I would eat it if you hid it under your hat, or in your backpack, but not if it was in your shoe. That's where I draw the line. -allularpunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:28 am 
Offline
Dying from Nooch Lung
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:50 pm
Posts: 3315
Location: The Bene
I know this is an oft cited peeve: the fact that any time a mainstream publication publishes anything even remotely related to veganism, or even a vegan recipe, the legions of "People eating tasty animals" and "this would be good wrapped in bacon" people feel compelled to comment. Today, I stumbled across an article about eating feet (cows', pigs', goats', chicken, etc.). I immediately scrolled to the comments to find out if those legions of "preachy vegans" defensive meat eaters always refer to had come through and left a patchwork of "anti-meat propaganda". But nope. It was all nice and friendly with people leaving stories of their pleasant experiences eating animal feet when they were growing up or some such anecdote.

I'm not saying I think a mob of angry vegans should descend on the comment section of every online article about meat. I'm just wishing the mobs of angry meat eaters could afford us the same courtesy. "Preachy vegans" indeed. Harrumph.

_________________
Ain't no guarantees in life, and nothing that comes out of my vagina can change that. - Erika Soyf*cker

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:35 am 
Offline
And you never will.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:41 pm
Posts: 4617
Location: Memphis
annak wrote:
poopiebitch wrote:
Your Costco sells tofu?!


Yes, it's with the Asian stuff in the close-to-the-deli refrigerated section (near the udon, sushi, seaweed salad, etc).

Your Costco sells udon and sushi and seaweed salad?!

I live in the wrong part of the world.

_________________
Sometimes I think, it's really my lack of cybernetic implants that keeps me from being truly human. - Mars
Every time a man helps me put my coat on a stream comes gushing from between my legs. - Mr. Shankly


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:43 am 
Offline
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:50 pm
Posts: 403
Location: Spokane, WA
I have a 25 mile commute to work every morning, and I am SO TIRED of all the cattle transport trucks on the road. They smell awful and are about the most depressing thing ever. I get them in the morning on my way to work and in the afternoon on my way home, and it's a really shiitake way to start my day. I mean, they are horrible and cruel and depressing and will pretty much ruin my day no matter what they smell like, but couldn't they at least wash them so that they don't make me retch from half a mile back? Seriously... how does an omni drive past one of those things and then eat a hamburger when they get home??? Between the smell and the death aura they nearly put me in tears every time.

_________________
Bugger bugger bugger bugger bugger!!!!!!! -Desdemona


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:31 am 
Offline
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:24 pm
Posts: 5499
Location: BRLA
Getting guilt tripped by people offended that you're not buying their kids non-vegan school sale candy. The secretary just passive aggressively coughed my name in reference to people who won't buy stupid chocolate from her.

_________________
The thing about this thread is, it's dumb. - IJDI


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:13 pm 
Offline
ugh
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:20 pm
Posts: 2663
Location: north of Boston, MA, USA
Seaweed salad with jellyfish. I didn't realize how common this was until recently so I've probably been eating jellyfish every now and again without realizing. Ugh.

_________________

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:19 pm 
Offline
Who's Ted Leo?
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:44 pm
Posts: 7227
Location: Modesto, CA
Thinking you found a vegan product to only find out the version you see is not vegan!

I was at CostPlus - saw Jammy Dodgers - got really happy only to find out they were not the vegan ones. I want Jammy Dodgers!!!!

_________________
The Stay At Home Girlfriend: A zine that focuses on
vegan recipes, cat love and living with OCD.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/missmuffcake


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:37 pm 
Offline
Dying from Nooch Lung
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:50 pm
Posts: 3315
Location: The Bene
b.vicious wrote:
Seaweed salad with jellyfish. I didn't realize how common this was until recently so I've probably been eating jellyfish every now and again without realizing. Ugh.


What? Seriously?

_________________
Ain't no guarantees in life, and nothing that comes out of my vagina can change that. - Erika Soyf*cker

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:38 pm 
Offline
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:57 pm
Posts: 6517
Location: Boston, MA
lepelaar wrote:
b.vicious wrote:
Seaweed salad with jellyfish. I didn't realize how common this was until recently so I've probably been eating jellyfish every now and again without realizing. Ugh.


What? Seriously?


Yes, I, too, would like more info?

Also, icky!

_________________
I would eat Dr. Cow pocket cheese in a second. I would eat it if you hid it under your hat, or in your backpack, but not if it was in your shoe. That's where I draw the line. -allularpunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:43 pm 
Offline
WRETCHED
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:54 pm
Posts: 8938
Location: Maryland/DC area
missmuffcake wrote:
Thinking you found a vegan product to only find out the version you see is not vegan!

I was at CostPlus - saw Jammy Dodgers - got really happy only to find out they were not the vegan ones. I want Jammy Dodgers!!!!


You know that is what freaks me out when I go to regular Chinese restaurants. I've been going to a vegan Chinese restaurant regularly for so long that I think things are just naturally vegan. (I can't remember what specifically but there are some dishes that would have egg added in a regular Chinese restaurant)

_________________
You are all a disgrace to vegans. Go f*ck yourselves, especially linanil.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:52 pm 
Offline
Drinks Wild Tofurkey
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:10 pm
Posts: 2786
Location: Midlands, UK
Wow, Fee, that'd be incredibly rude even if you didn't have the reason of being vegan to not want to buy it.

_________________
"Wait a minute. There is a holiday for eight days of fried food and I haven't been celebrating it?! This is not right." - Rhizopus Oligosporus


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13640 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 546  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Gulliver, jogirl, ~Sz and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer