| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I need to plan a dinner party for omni coeliac suffers...
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:27 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Who can't eat rice either...

Starter, Main, Desert... PPK gurus GO!

Post subject: Re: I need to plan a dinner party for omni coeliac suffers..
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:45 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Have just heard no onion or garlic either...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:21 am 
Inflexitarian

Fancy dinner party or just dinner dinner party? I love dinner parties!

Starters: Some kind of hummus or bean dip w/veggies and (storebought?) gluten free crackers, vegan napoleons, savory spiced nuts

For mains: Polenta (soft or formed) with sauce, polenta lasagna, roasted zucchini noodle lasagna, some kind of hearty chili or stew (maybe the manzana chili verde from VCON?), acorn squash stuffed with quinoa and other goodies, some kind of curry with vegetables and chickpeas served over quinoa. <--Some of this stuff might not work as well without garlic and onions... I don't know....

Dessert: coconut ice cream sundaes, a raw or semi-raw "cheese"cake, gluten free baked goods (if you're feeling brave)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:51 am 
Bathes in Braggs

TAMALE PIE.

see: my tamale pie thread. haha.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:04 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Wow! quark's got some great ideas!

I have celiac disease myself, and managed to pass my sucky genes to my grandchildren who all seem to have some food allergy or other. Our family is in this same situation all the time. (I'm the only vegan in a family of omni's. And I cook.) After recently learning that rice is loaded with arsenic these days, I've been forced to give up my beloved gluten-free grain. This has lent itself to new avenues of experimentation for me. I now do more with quinoa, buckwheat, gluten free oats, and the stand-by non-grain gluten subs such as coconut flour, almond flour, or just squashes, yams, and sweet potatoes.

As quark suggested, I too have made great curries of chickpeas and sweet potatoes served over quinoa (big hit with the grandson!) And I have also replaced lasagna noodles with various vegetables. Quark sounds like the voice of experience, with these suggestions!

As an idea for a hearty soup/stew, I've relied on provoking more "traditional" flavors out of vegan foods, with great pleasure on the part of my family. I make a hearty stew of black-eyed peas, lentils, portabello mushrooms (big "meaty" flavor in these foods) along with basic veggies: carrots, celery, potatoes, onions (which you could skip) etc. Small things, like a touch of tomato paste, a spoonful of coconut aminos (or soy, or soy sauce) give foods that rich "umami" (meatiness) that omnis look for. Many, *many* times, I do not tell new celebrants that everything they're eating is gluten free and vegan. And they never guess. I just use several small "umami" provokers in a dish - it's my "trick."

Hummus is the universal family favorite starter. I get requests for it at every celebration. I've had rave reviews on stuffed portabello mushroom caps, stuffed cabbage, various soups and stews, etc. But, I do agree with quark that some of this might not be good without onions or garlic.

As for the idea of gluten-free baked goods, try serving a pumpkin bread or brownies made from a gluten-free flour (or mix). There are several now. These are "accidentally vegan" things that are a big hit with omnis.

I hope these ideas help! Good luck, and remember - just have fun! Be the love and the light. That way, they'll forgive anything. :D Lol!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:25 am 
Not NOT A Furry

The dinner party is relaxed but has to be really stonking food. So kind of posh, but not necessarily fancy.

If I was doing a Humous starter I think it would have to be home made things to dip- any recipes? But would Humous without garlic be ok?

Polenta with a sort of roasted vegetable and chickpea stew maybe for a main.

I think the coconut icecream is a great idea- any good recipes. I'll be cooking at my parents house and don't want to have to take recipe books, so online recipes preferred!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:26 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

There's a vegan and gluten-free Mexican restaurant near me that's super popular and insanely delicious. Soo, I would say nachos; tacos, enchiladas, or tostadas; the restaurant does gluten-free cupcakes and ice cream, but why not go with flan? Here's a recent menu, for inspiraton: http://m.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a. ... =691335270 .

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:49 am 
Naked Under Apron

I would go Indian and make a quinoa pilaf for the grain.
Cilantro and coconut chutney and pakoras.
Chana Masala, spinach saag and dal with a big leafy salad.
Ice cream parfait or a fruit cobbler with rose water added to the fruit.

xo
kittee

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:18 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

For omni dinner parties, I would steer clear of tofu, tempeh, seitan etc. It might scare them (not that they could have seitan anyway). I was going to say Indian or Mexican, but you guys beat me to it!

Here are some ideas. Not sure what cookbooks you have. If you tell us what you have, I could make more detailed suggestions. Also, I try to do mostly easy or make ahead stuff for dinner parties, since you are making so many dishes, and trying to entertain as well.

Mexican:

Apps: Chips and fresh salsa and guacamole. You really cant go wrong there. Dont use onions or garlic. Are they ok with shallots? That's what I use in my salsa anyway. If not, just do guac. And/or a queso dip if you have a good recipe

Main: tamale pie, enchiladas, chilaquiles (I have a great vegan version with lots of shredded veggies), etc. There are some awesome vegan mexican food main dishes. Do you have the cookbook viva vegan? If not, there are tons of recipes online. Good tamale pie recipe on the PPK blog in fact

Sides: I would do some awesome slow cooked black beans, with a nice ancho chilli sauce drizzled over the top. And instead of rice, do a different grain. There is a really good recipe for Mexican Millet in Veganomincon, its like mexican rice. But better. You can also do a salad on the side. I like making a ceasar salad, but adding chillies to the dressing, and putting red bell peppers, avacado and tortilla strips in the salad itself. You could also make an amazing Tortilla soup. The recipe on the PPK blog is so so so so so good.

Deserts: there are lots of latin type deserts. Flan would be a good choice. there are lots of good recipes out there online

If you wanted to do american, I would do something like this

Apps: You can't really go wrong with hummus. Do a few different kinds, make it fancy! Or mix it up with a hummus, a pate, and another veggie type spread. You can make all of this the day before

Main: I am really partial to a good shepherds pie for omni's. There is an excellent on in Appetite for Reduction that usues lentils. Another option would be a Cacciatore type dish using chickpeas. Great recipe in Veganomincon (Romanesco Chickpeas). I would serve it over polenta

Sides: If I did a shepherds pie, since it is so heavy, a salad would be nice. If you did a heavy chickpea dish, I would do a green vegetable. Maybe lemon seared green beans. You could do a light soup as well. There is a great recipe for a pesto cauliflower soup in Appetite for reduction that would go nicely with either of the entrees. Also really easy to make.

Dessert: there are a plethora of good gluten free vegan desserts out there. Maybe a cheesecake, sans crust? there is a nice recipe on the PPK blog. You can make it the day before as well. If you have an ice cream maker, people are always impressed with a good, hommade ice cream.

Hope that helps! I love these threads. I wish I had more dinner parties. They are always so last minute, all I do is pasta lately. And lots of wine.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:15 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Well... Here's what I did:

Starter: chickpea cakes based on these: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2011/10/co ... sauce.html with her tahini sauce (cold) and a hot (temperature) spicy roasted tomato sauce too. I subbed oat flour for the bread, and left out any onions. Served over a salad- the two sauces looked great!

Main: ratatouille based on this: http://www.olivesfordinner.com/2012/09/ ... yaldi.html but with butternut squash. Served with baked potatoes.

And the desert: http://cgvegan.wordpress.com/2012/10/24 ... o-post-22/ which was a winging-it moment based on past successes of a similar nature!

All pretty awesome though I say so myself!