| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: favorite bagel places
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:11 pm 
Hail Seitan!

Here's my list!

1) Terrace Bagels, in Windsor Terrace Bklyn. When I lived near the F I'd go here every weekend. Nice and crunchy on the outside but soft on the inside if you get them fresh. Lots of tofutti varieties. They also have the little cafe next door where can sit diner-style and eat. The only thing I wish they had that they don't is soy milk for coffee. Otherwise, they're amazing.

2) Ess-a-bagel in the east village.

3) Bagel hole in Park Slope. Smaller and crunchier than most places, but sometimes i'm in the mood for that.

4) Absolute on the UWS

5) Murray's on sixth avenue... though Grounded, a coffee shop on Jane Street, serves Murray's bagels and delicious coffee so I go there more often than Murray's.

Post subject: Re: favorite bagel places
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:15 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

i really need to try absolute one of these days!

there are finally good bagels with tofu cream cheese near my house. It's called brooklyn bagel and I like to get a whole wheat everything bagel with veggie tofu cream cheese. They also have cinnamon walnut tofu, but I'm not really a sweet bagel girl.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:23 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

The Bagel Store! The one by the Graham Ave. L stop, not the Bedford location. Yum, yum, and yum.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:10 pm 
FAYGO

I don't really seek out bagels, but I'm thrilled a place by my office has plain, scallion and vegetable tofu cream cheese. For the other midtowners, it's called Milk and Honey and it's on 45th Street between 5th and 6th Aves.

I haven't checked in a while, but last time I asked, they had water challahs (no eggs) every Friday, too.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:25 pm 
Hail Seitan!

SeitanSaidDance wrote:
I don't really seek out bagels, but I'm thrilled a place by my office has plain, scallion and vegetable tofu cream cheese. For the other midtowners, it's called Milk and Honey and it's on 45th Street between 5th and 6th Aves.

I haven't checked in a while, but last time I asked, they had water challahs (no eggs) every Friday, too.

Cool, you work near me! I'm on 42nd between 8th and 9th. I hear there's a place nearby called Green Symphony that I'm supposed to try out.. any other good vegan options in the area? I

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:28 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

My Zoetrope wrote:
The Bagel Store! The one by the Graham Ave. L stop, not the Bedford location. Yum, yum, and yum.

I like the Bedford one! They give me free bagels, and once they had blueberry tofu cream cheese.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:35 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Dunebug wrote:

I like the Bedford one! They give me free bagels, and once they had blueberry tofu cream cheese.

I like the Bedford one too! I had the blueberry tofu but it was a little too sweet for my tastes. That place is seriously awesome though, I'm going to be so sad when it closes. Thank goodness for the Graham Ave location.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:42 pm 

clawhammer wrote:
Dunebug wrote:

I like the Bedford one too! I had the blueberry tofu but it was a little too sweet for my tastes. That place is seriously awesome though, I'm going to be so sad when it closes. Thank goodness for the Graham Ave location.

I knowwww! I think their lease is ok for another year or so though, right?
I don't know what I'll do... I guess I'll have to make the hike to Graham Ave :(

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:45 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I used to like the Bedford Bagel Store location, but then they stopped cleaning up after themselves and it grossed me out. Finding remnants of Lox on my bagel was the last straw. Plus they have messed up my order multiple times, giving me cream cheese and not tofu. The Graham Ave. location has their heads screwed on straight.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:59 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Yeah they have their lease for a while longer, thank goodness.

About the messed up orders, that's happened to my boyfriend. Asked for tofu, got cream cheese, realized the error and tried to get them to change it. They went to scrape off the cream cheese and give him the same bagel. The employee got yelled at, but seriously? Kind of ridiculous. Most of the time they are super nice and friendly though. Also marginally closer to my apartment.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:14 am 
FAYGO

doncherryfan wrote:
SeitanSaidDance wrote:

Cool, you work near me! I'm on 42nd between 8th and 9th. I hear there's a place nearby called Green Symphony that I'm supposed to try out.. any other good vegan options in the area? I

I typed up a long reply to this then decided we'd be better off with a midtown thread: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1561

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:09 pm 

clawhammer wrote:
Yeah they have their lease for a while longer, thank goodness.

About the messed up orders, that's happened to my boyfriend. Asked for tofu, got cream cheese, realized the error and tried to get them to change it. They went to scrape off the cream cheese and give him the same bagel. The employee got yelled at, but seriously? Kind of ridiculous. Most of the time they are super nice and friendly though. Also marginally closer to my apartment.

Woah, this kind of thing has never happened to me there! I'd be upset too....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:32 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

I love Bagel Hole, too. And Bergen Bagel, if it's a GIGANTIC doughy bagel you crave.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:49 am 
Member type 4

I have a soft spot for Bagelsmith. It doesn't hurt that they're 24/7 and have no credit card minimum.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:04 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I will ONLY go to Absolute. If I went anywhere else I'd feel like a dirty cheater. Maybe I'm missing out on the most glorious nyc bagel known to man...hm

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:23 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

The Bagel Store was good, but I am seriously in love with Absolute. Garlic bagel with sundried tomato tofutti, chyeah.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:31 am 
She's No Isa Chandra!

If you were flying into NYC from the midwest, which ONE bagel place would you go to for breakfast? Preferably somewhere on the way from La Guardia to midtown Manhattan, sooner than later cause you'll be kinda hungry.
Oh, and it's your first time ever to New York, so this needs to be a kickass bagel.

What bagel should I eat for breakfast on Friday??

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:33 am 

AutumnVegan wrote:
If you were flying into NYC from the midwest, which ONE bagel place would you go to for breakfast? Preferably somewhere on the way from La Guardia to midtown Manhattan, sooner than later cause you'll be kinda hungry.
Oh, and it's your first time ever to New York, so this needs to be a kickass bagel.

How are you getting from Laguardia to mid town? and where in mid town are you going? I'm asking this because one of the bagel places that everyone talks about being the best is on 106th and broadway which is the last stop on the m60 bus that you can take directly from laguardia. But depending on where you're going in midtown being at 106th and broadway might not be any help to you at all.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:31 am 
She's No Isa Chandra!

ijustdiedinside wrote:
AutumnVegan wrote:

How are you getting from Laguardia to mid town? and where in mid town are you going? I'm asking this because one of the bagel places that everyone talks about being the best is on 106th and broadway which is the last stop on the m60 bus that you can take directly from laguardia. But depending on where you're going in midtown being at 106th and broadway might not be any help to you at all.

I'm just playing it by ear and walking around for a bit, but I eventually want to end up near the MoMA.
What's the bagel shop called?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:38 am 

AutumnVegan wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:
AutumnVegan wrote:

I'm just playing it by ear and walking around for a bit, but I eventually want to end up near the MoMA.
What's the bagel shop called?

it's called Absolute Bagels - http://www.absolutebagels.com/

There may be some bagel places closer to your destination though!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:42 pm 

Does any of those places do gluten free bagels?

*crosses fingers*

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:42 pm 

Does any of those places do gluten free bagels?

*crosses fingers*

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:41 am 
So Totally Yiffy

i generally go for 2 bagel places, one based on proximity to my room/school/classes and price (cheaper than the place up the street) and one in brooklyn that me and friends go to a lot.
1 - gramercy bagels - an everything bagel with tofu veggie is $3.45. up the street at pick-a-bagel its $3.75.
2 - the bagel store, which was already mentioned. i go to both the one near the graham L stop and the bedford L stop. we usually go to bedford because verb is across the street and sometimes a friend is working so we score some free chai. although i think last time i went they gave me regular tofu veggie because the texture was different but when i asked they showed me the tub of cream cheese and said it was the tofu one. hmmm....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:51 am 
Tofu Pup

Ess-a-bagel on 3rd avenue between 50th & 51st streets is great if you work near the 51st street 6 train. It gets busy though, so make sure you have time to wait if you go before work.