| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 351 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Debate Thread
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:47 pm 
Grandfathered In

acr wrote:
FootFace wrote:
chiveggie wrote:
has Romney ever said where he's getting all these magical jobs that are going to appear out of nowhere?

America, duh.

and its small businesses, duh.

Duh.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:47 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

ndpittman said on facebook that Jim Lehrer was the real loser of the debate. I'm going to have to agree.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:48 pm 
We So Excited

I think Chris Matthews head exploded.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:49 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

starrynight87 wrote:
ndpittman said on facebook that Jim Lehrer was the real loser of the debate. I'm going to have to agree.

the voiceless victim of partisan disputes.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:51 pm 
Semen Strong

starrynight87 wrote:

And Big Bird....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:52 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Interesting point from Al Sharpton (did I really just write that?). While Romney seems like a winner tonight, we won't really understand who won for a bit because we will begin to dissect the content and realize that Romney simply lied a great deal throughout the debates. Not sure I fully believe it, but Romney definitely has some issues with saying things tonight that are completely different than what he has said to this point.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:58 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I think I'm most excited to watch the next Jon Stewart and see what he has to say. It is sad that I find the most unbiased view of politics to come from a fake news show on the comedy channel.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:01 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

sofrito wrote:
Interesting point from Al Sharpton (did I really just write that?). While Romney seems like a winner tonight, we won't really understand who won for a bit because we will begin to dissect the content and realize that Romney simply lied a great deal throughout the debates. Not sure I fully believe it, but Romney definitely has some issues with saying things tonight that are completely different than what he has said to this point.

one of the commentators on the channel i'm watching actually tried to turn this into an obama weakness, because every time obama brought up something romney had been saying for the past year and romney said, "listen, that's not what i'm about," obama had to rethink his approach. it was like they were trying to give romney props for running a misdirection.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:03 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

chiveggie wrote:
I think I'm most excited to watch the next Jon Stewart and see what he has to say. It is sad that I find the most unbiased view of politics to come from a fake news show on the comedy channel.

Yep.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:16 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

The Big Bird comment is blowing up on the internets. Most of the CNN commentators are saying that Romney pwned, but we'll see if the big yellow bird gets the last laugh.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:19 pm 
Semen Strong

Romney may have said things that were clearly untrue—I believe he did—but he said them convincingly, and Obama didn’t even challenge them.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/frederickal ... mperament/

Quote:
Romney won because he is the person whose temperament has been most in question among the public, with his apparent inconsistencies in his positions and his hasty, unconsidered statements like his response to the tragedy in Libya. Just by being on stage with the president of the United States and holding his own, the challenger made himself look strong and commanding. But he went well beyond that in every aspect of demeanor. He calmly watched as the president spoke; the president tended to look down as Romney spoke. Romney spoke with more passion than the president but also with more powerful numbers and facts, and with better human stories, too. Obama had moments of strength—I think he had a much stronger closing statement—but if there was any gain for a candidate in terms of displaying an appearance of impressive temperament, and this is to say nothing of their positions on the issues or their politics, it was Romney’s gain.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:31 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

as ever, i am dismayed by the power these superficialities have over our feeble human brains. if romney has been in question because of inconsistencies in his positions, why should his introducing a host of new inconsistencies with a commanding demeanor and a steady smile reassure anyone? maybe debates should be broadcast exclusively on the radio. we'll keep the candidates in a dark bunker until the inauguration/unveiling ceremony.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:36 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

*longest sigh in the world*

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:52 pm 
Semen Strong

I am in a fight on the Feminist Breeder's FB page with someone who doesn't believe the "scare tactics" that the Dems use because the GOP isn't really interested in controlling your uterus.

Are these swing voters? I just can't even believe that people are in that level of denial. Two years ago the GOP ran on JOBS and then once elected went full bore after reproductive rights. How can you not think that they are gunning for your uterus when the VP cosponsored H.R. 212, known as the Sanctity of Human Life Act, which pertains to the 14th Amendment, which states that "the right to life guaranteed by the Constitution is vested in each human being," and the bill makes the claim that "the life of each human being begins with fertilization."

FACEPALM!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:34 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I'm awaiting the fact checkers right now. There were several things Romney said that were blatantly false.. and I don't just mean him backtracking on things he'd previously said, I mean numbers and statements that are empirically and demonstrably false. Saying that the US healthcare system has the best health outcomes is just so delusionally wrong that I nearly fell out of my chair because I couldn't believe he'd have the balls to say something so ridiculous. That was one of the big ones that jumped out to me.

From a presentation standpoint, I'd say Romney probably won. There wasn't much content in what he did manage to say, but he said nothing very convincingly. Obama sounded unsure of himself, but I'm willing to chalk that up as him wondering what bullshiitake thing was going to spew from Romney's mouth next. From a content standpoint, Obama easily won. Hands down, no argument.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:00 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

http://factcheck.org/2012/10/dubious-denver-debate-declarations/

At least a couple are out already. I didn't watch the debate because I go to bed stupidly early and I don't like missing sleep only to feel stabby for hours on end, but it sounds like Obama had a ton of opportunities to raise a bullshiitake flag that flashed like a strobe and just didn't. Maybe he was off his game because he anticipated Michelle was pissed at him for spending their anniversary night like this.

Ugh I saw all these cave paintings complaining about vegan cheese options. I don't miss those days. -Isa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:38 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i cant wait until this election is over. it's making me horrifyingly depressed.
i didnt watch the debates because i cant deal and my vote has always been very solidly for Obama. i cant imagine what alternate universe there might be where i would even entertain the notion of thinking about voting for Romney.

it's making me very depressed that people think Romney did better last night. ugh.
i was really hoping he would put his foot in his mouth 100 times like normal but i kind of didnt expect he would.

ugh ugh ugh.

im hoping the Obama campaign has some secret killer thing about Romney they are waiting to reveal until right before voting time.

there's another presidential debate right? not just the VP one?

i hate that elections in this country are decided but uninformed people who grasp onto platitudes of what they think sounds good.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:42 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Have I mentioned lately that I love Neil deGrasse Tyson?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:07 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

LisaPunk wrote:
i hate that elections in this country are decided but uninformed people who grasp onto platitudes of what they think sounds good.

Oh dear god yes - it's maddening.

LisaPunk wrote:
there's another presidential debate right? not just the VP one?

There are two more - 10/11 is the VP debate; then two more presidential debates on 10/16 and 10/22. Hopefully Obama will come out ready to call bullshiitake more effectively.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:17 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

chiveggie wrote:
also. Why doesn't the moderator have a button that just shuts off their microphones when the time is up?

I was wondering the exact same thing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:42 am 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

this guy on npr is saying the truest, most dismal thing: most people don't follow politics closely, or at all, but they watch the debate because it's on tv, and for a lot of people that's their first and most important (and maybe only) exposure to the candidates' ideas and positions. the next day when the fact checkers point out x, y, and z, those people are doing something else, and they might never hear or think about any of those things. the guy i'm listening to is thrilled about all this, because he's in favor of romney, but i'm remembering watching the numbers come in in 2004 and going to bed all numb and weepy.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:44 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

acr wrote:
this guy on npr is saying the truest, most dismal thing: most people don't follow politics closely, or at all, but they watch the debate because it's on tv, and for a lot of people that's their first and most important (and maybe only) exposure to the candidates' ideas and positions. the next day when the fact checkers point out x, y, and z, those people are doing something else, and they might never hear or think about any of those things.

this is what i was thinking this morning when people were saying that the fact checkers had info on some of the BS Romney said and i was like "IT DOESNT MATTER NO ONE IS PAYING ATTENTION ANYMORE"

i very seriously want to crawl under a rock and die.
ugh.
must drag myself out of this election malaise.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:13 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I am curious to see the ratings and see how many people actually pay attention enough to watch the debates. These days with so many other TV options etc, just preempting network primetime shows doesn't mean people can't watch something else. And how many really have the attention span for two hours of talking unless they care about politics which most Americans do not...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:16 am 
rowdily playing checkers

Americans love a winner, and Mitt Romney is one. This is a great day--I can't wait until we have an American president again.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:02 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

i don't undestand the interest in the debates or the election in general. the red team and the blue team are flip sides of the same MIC coin. and i predict that as soon as obamney gets re-elected he will go bowling and simpsoning after the last vestiges of the new deal that remain in this pathetic tin pot banana republic.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 351 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next