| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1390 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 56  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Steam PC gaming thread!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:42 am 
WRETCHED

I bought ticket to ride for the iPad. When playing against the computer, how come I get 3 destination cards but the computer seems to get up to 6?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:39 pm 
Inflexitarian

Am I the only one having serious issues with Torchlight 2 on multiplayer?

My wimpy laptop runs it fine, husband's gaming rig runs single player okay...then as soon as he tried to play multiplayer with me, it freaked out. Neither of us had firewalls on, both machines work fine for other LAN and online games..

It keeps him connected for a few minutes where he appears to be standing around on my screen, mobs come back to life almost instantly (it becomes almost a survival game!), 3 copies of the same boss spawned, and he regularly gets dropped from the game.

(well my laptop can't run all the same games but runs Torchlight 2 fine)

And yes, we are geeks. His Father's Day gift was the pre-order, my anniversary gift was the game ;)

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/GeekKnowledge

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:55 pm 
A Bad Person

Chiatroll and I didn't run into any problems with multiplayer, but we weren't on a LAN, and we only played for an hour.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:25 pm 
Inflexitarian

Hmm..yea, I'm at a loss. It's not even just the LAN either. It happened with a regular multiplayer game too. But besides the dc'ing, the crazy amount of mob respawn makes it very hard to play like that.

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/GeekKnowledge

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:32 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

9:00 tonight, Dishonored unlocks.

See y'all in a few days.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:36 pm 
Chip Strong

I'm dying from pre-order burnout and have taken solace in Minecraft and Skyrim, but yeah, I'm totally playing Dishonored at 9 tonight. I already started pre-loading it before leaving for work this morning.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:57 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

solipsistnation wrote:
9:00 tonight, Dishonored unlocks.

See y'all in a few days.

I'm so excited.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:04 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Just got the blink abillity, after spending, oh, 30 minutes or so poking around the tavern area wandering around on the roof and finding hidden stuff and reading everyone's books and stealing all their spare change.

MAN I've missed that kind of gameplay.

Sending swarms of rats to devour your enemies: vegan or not?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:18 pm 
Chip Strong

solipsistnation wrote:
Sending swarms of rats to devour your enemies: vegan or not?

Vegan! Not only do you rid the world of a corpse muncher, but you provide food to our animal betters.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:17 am 
A Bad Person

Okay, now I've finished Borderlands 2. It ran a bit longer than it probably should have, but it was thoroughly solid throughout. If you liked Borderlands, Borderlands 2 is more, better Borderlands. There's a stronger focus on storyline and characters in it. Brick is probably my favorite character. Tiny Tina is the goddamned worst. There is a lot of interesting stuff in the hidden ECHO recorders (audio logs) that aren't quests but tracked as challenges. Like one level will have four ECHO recorders scattered around that tell a particular story, such as how each vault hunter ended up on Pandora. There are some really hilarious pop culture references, in the form of subtle nods, hidden areas, and full blown quests, such as when you get a quest to take a pizza into the sewers to lure out "a splinter cell of mutants". That one goes exactly where you think it's going.

That said, there are some really tough fights in that game. I played as a gunzerker and I never felt like I was overlevelled. Often, a new area would mean I felt underlevelled. This is a real contrast from Borderlands 1, wherein the first five hours are more or less balanced, then (if you do all the sidequest stuff) the scale tips in your favor and it turns into a shooting gallery. I didn't complete every single quest before finishing Borderlands 2, but I left less than a handful unfinished. The lead up to the final confrontation was more brutal than the end challenge itself. I ran into a real wall of difficulty in one of the areas unveiled near the end, so much that I respeced (for basically the first time ever) so that I could dump more skills into health regen. I lost half of my money in that area to respawns.

But I totally recommend it to anyone who's a fan of first-person shooters and loot games. Bonus points if you have friends who want to play it with you. I'm more receptive to playing coop games after I've finished them on a solo run first, because I don't want to end up further ahead in the story than my own progression.

Now that I've finished that, and I have some free cash, I can get Dishonored! But I've settled on finishing Spec Ops: The Line first. I'm already two-thirds done with it, and wow. That story is going places.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:22 pm 
Chip Strong

People! You really should get yourself Chivalry: Medieval Warfare. I don't generally go for multiplayer games, but this one is pretty great. You yell and jab your polearm at knights, or be a knight, and you die a lot, and kill a lot. It's really fun.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:31 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Imitation Of Chris wrote:
People! You really should get yourself Chivalry: Medieval Warfare. I don't generally go for multiplayer games, but this one is pretty great. You yell and jab your polearm at knights, or be a knight, and you die a lot, and kill a lot. It's really fun.

I have chivalry and war of the roses. I prefer war of the roses overall for it's combat and realism but wish it had more victory conditions like chivalry does.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:38 pm 
A Bad Person

Wow, two awesome things today! First, the start of the Halloween sale! A bunch of scary (or spooky, or spooky-related) games heavily discounted for a week!

AND! Condemned: Criminal Origins has been released on Steam! This is a Monolith developed first-person action game that was an Xbox 360 launch title. It's heavily focused on melee combat, with most firearms only having a few bullets in them. It's also got some really interesting crime scene investigation mechanics. Since the enemies are typically homeless people driven insane, the game is generally regarded as one of the finest hobo beating simulators of all time. It gets a bit weird (supernatural) at the end, but it's totally worth playing. It's kind of like Seven meets Doom 3.

I want to post my recommendations about what sale games are worth it, but I'm at work and looking at Steam on my phone. It'll have to wait until I get home. But my first recommendation is to get Condemned!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:46 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

brian wrote:
Now that I've finished that, and I have some free cash, I can get Dishonored! But I've settled on finishing Spec Ops: The Line first. I'm already two-thirds done with it, and wow. That story is going places.

So what did you think of Spec Ops?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:50 pm 
A Bad Person

solipsistnation wrote:
brian wrote:

So what did you think of Spec Ops?

I think everyone should play it. Particularly the MMS crowd.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:58 pm 
A Bad Person

Let me elaborate a little, all spoilered, about Spec Ops and F.E.A.R.
Spoiler: show
I knew it was a modern take on Heart of Darkness going in, which I've never read but I've seen Apocalypse Now plenty of times. But the first hint that something's not right is that when you first encounter hostile U.S. Army soldiers, the first thing one of the AI buddies says is "Why are we shooting at them?" There are plenty of other sequences that make you think about what you're doing, but this is only the second game I can really think of that approaches this. The first time was near the end of F.E.A.R., when you actually catch up to Fettel. By then you've found out that he's your brother, and there's a shared hallucination, and then he's on his knees, looking up at you, and you've got a pistol to his head, and the only option is to blow his brains out. You have to pull that trigger, and then he's just another dead body, like the hundreds of replica soldiers and ATC security you blasted through to get there. Except this one mattered.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:10 pm 
Chip Strong

No more sales! Gah! So many unfinished/ unplayed games.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:11 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

brian wrote:
Let me elaborate a little, all spoilered, about Spec Ops

Yeah, pretty interesting how it builds up to stuff, isn't it? And yeah, the end of FEAR was also quite the thing.

Do you want a dump of a bunch of articles on Spec Ops? If nothing else, it's generated a bunch of really good games writing, but I won't go gather links if you're not interested. I think I posted one of them before, but if not, this is a particularly good one:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/815 ... oter-games

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:37 pm 
A Bad Person

Okay! Here are what I consider the best deals! If you have to limit yourself to three, I highlighted the three best.

• Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition - $14.99
    An enormous post-apocalypse RPG made even larger by DLC!
  • Alan Wake - $14.99
    Twin Peaks meets Max Payne!
  • Alan Wake's American Nightmare - $7.49
    The Twilight Zone meets Max Payne!
  • Amnesia: The Dark Descent - $4.99
    Actually-scary first-person survival horror!
  • Penumbra Collector Pack - $4.99
    Physics-y first-person survival horror!
  • Condemned: Criminal Origins - $7.49
    Seven meets Doom 3!
  • Killing Floor - $4.99
    Wave-based class-based first-person coop!
  • Lone Survivor - $4.99
    2D Silent Hill!
  • Dead Space - $4.99
    Third-person survival horror in space!
  • Dead Space 2 - $4.99
    The sequel to third-person survival horror in space!
  • The Walking Dead - $14.99
    Amazingly soul-crushing zombie adventure game!
  • Left 4 Dead 2 - $4.99
    Coop first-person zombie blasting!
  • Limbo - $2.49
    Creepy 2D platforming!
  • Costume Quest - $7.49
    Chrono Trigger-ish RPG about kids trick-or-treating!
  • Atom Zombie Smasher - $2.49
    Strategic zombie destruction!
  • STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl - $9.99
    First-person post-apocalypse survival set in the Ukraine!
  • STALKER: Call of Pripyat - $7.49
    More first-person post-apocalypse survival set in the Ukraine!
  • F.E.A.R. - $2.49
    Creepy slo-mo manshoot!
  • F.E.A.R. 2 - $3.74
    More creepy slo-mo manshoot!
  • Bioshock - $4.99
    Underwater first-person battle against Ayn Rand! kind of

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:40 pm 
A Bad Person

solipsistnation wrote:
brian wrote:
Let me elaborate a little, all spoilered, about Spec Ops

Yeah, pretty interesting how it builds up to stuff, isn't it? And yeah, the end of FEAR was also quite the thing.

Do you want a dump of a bunch of articles on Spec Ops? If nothing else, it's generated a bunch of really good games writing, but I won't go gather links if you're not interested. I think I posted one of them before, but if not, this is a particularly good one:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/815 ... oter-games

Sure, link away! I'm always up for good games analysis.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:55 am 
A Bad Person

It's hard to talk about the story of Hotline Miami without ruining it, particularly because it's so downplayed, but more people should play it. It's kind of a buggy mess at times, but it's an intense game with a very strong sense of style. It's short but absolutely worth the $10 price tag.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:27 am 
A Bad Person

Here's an article someone else might find interesting: http://www.polygon.com/2012/11/1/356031 ... tudios-thq

It's about the development process behind Homefront. I played Homefront, and this line from the article describes it perfectly: "... it's just this ugly game filled with mean things that happen to people you don't care about." My class curriculum is heavily centered around systems development, and I did a presentation for one class on disordered development wrecking potentially very successful games. I could have really used an article like this.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:05 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I mostly seem to have misplaced my Spec Ops links, but here are some:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/06 ... review-pc/
http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/8/2 ... ey-2kgames

Pretty good video commentary:
http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/sp ... ine-part-1
http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/sp ... ine-part-2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:38 pm 
A Bad Person

Thanks for those! Chiatroll linked me to the Extra Credit videos while I was playing Spec Ops, but the other two I haven't read. And Spec Ops is kind of the flipside of Homefront in terms of development results. Spec Ops had a publisher who was hands-off and wanted their developers to make the game they wanted to make (exception for the tacked-on multiplayer, which the publisher farmed out), and it had a troubled development, but the overall product is successful in delivering what they set out to accomplish. Homefront didn't get the chance to make the game that they wanted because of poor management and publisher meddling, and their result might have been a minor commercial success but failed to achieve the developer's vision.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:13 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

1 year since Skyrim came out!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1390 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 56  Next