| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cats and constipation
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:37 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

So my kitty has been constipated off and on since mid-August. The vet says it could be related to the cancer (kitty had a mammary tumor) or just old age and being overweight. For now I've opted to limit treatment to medication and diet (all canned food), as kitty doesn't appear to have signs of another condition that could be causing the constipation. Other than the cancer diagnosis, she is doing well and recent bloodwork came back normal.

One of the meds prescribed was lactulose. Another vet at the clinic told me that Miralax can also be used as a stool softener, so I've been alternating between the two. Does anyone have experience with using either medication to treat chronically constipated cats? I'm thinking of stopping the lactulose once it runs out and just using Miralax, because it's cheaper and easier to use. The other medication is cisapride, which is definitely helping.

bird noises | book of faces

Post subject: Re: Cats and constipation
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:51 pm 
WELFARIST!

I used lactulose to regulate Kizzy's poop (Kizzy is an elder male cat, who was around 16-17 years old during his "constipation era" or CE - he has a tricky digestive system that has Eras). I found the lactulose worked really well--I think I gave maybe around 1 or 2 mL a day (I can't remember the exact dose, but I just sort of figured it out by the stool consistency in his litter--you know, I wanted his stool soft, formed and easily passable so when it went diarrheal, I cut the lactulose back, when it was still a bit hard, I gave him a smidge more lactulose). Then his vet changed his diet to renal care a couple of years ago and his poop self-regulated and seemed of a healthy consistency with the diet change that I didn't have to administer lactulose anymore.

I've never asked anyone, but I always kind of worried while I was using the lactulose what it was doing to his teeth because it's a sweet syrup but now that I've stopped having to use it, I've never pursued those inquiries further. Also, I think in the end it's more important that he poop comfortably because his teeth can be cleaned and cared for fairly easily.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:15 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i have a bottle of lactulose for my cat. it isn't a stool softener, i don't think; based on what the vet told me, it works more like a lube. i give ophelia a small dose if she doesn't poop for a day, but like seitanicverses, i am now feeding a renal-support diet, and i think the higher fiber and moisture content of that food has helped her with whatever her gi issues were. she rarely gets constipated anymore. i also mix water in with her wet food, because with her kidney stuff i want her to be as hydrated as possible, and i think that makes a difference.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:16 pm 
WELFARIST!

I should also add that when I gave him 2 mL a day, I didn't give it all at once for fear of overwhelming his system with gassiness or discomfort, so I gave 1 mL in the morning, 1 mL at night sort of thing, you know, to split the dose up. But of course, I would follow your own vet's advice on administration instructions with whatever you choose to use, I just remember (I think) my vet telling me to split the dose like that so he doesn't get uncomfy all of a suddens.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:20 pm 
WELFARIST!

Yeah, like acr says, I think my vet mentioned how lactulose works at the time she suggested I use it--in that it isn't a stool softener but is more lube-like and she described the mechanism of how it works in his body, but I've forgotten the specifics--but his poop definitely came out more easily!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:38 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

I have a 19yr kitty with chronic constipation, and I give her miralax daily. I like using miralax as it helps retain water.

I found this site very fascinating http://www.felineconstipation.org/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:09 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

My last cat had IBS and heart disease, and the vet really didn't want him straining because of the heart condition. She had us give him Miralax (we used the generic equivalent from Target). He got 1/4 teaspoon over a bit of wet food every day, and it worked really well. Good luck with your kitty!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:22 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

marla was having trouble with constipation when we first adopted her and the vet suggested i feed her a bit of coconut oil every day, about a teaspoon. worked like a charm! she eats it right off my finger. looks like it has a bunch of other health benefits, too: http://www.ehow.com/facts_5512916_coconut-oil-cats.html

(formerly known as wintermitts)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:05 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Thanks for the link, dangersquirrel, I'll check that out. When I do give kitty lactulose, the dose is 1 ml twice a day but the vet said I could decrease or increase it depending on how her stools look. I'm kind of playing it by ear.

I'm glad to see some of you had success with Miralax too. seitanicverses, I wondered about lactulose being bad for teeth too. Kitty does have periodontal disease but with everything else going on with her I've put off getting a dental cleaning. Not sure that I could afford right now anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:44 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Or opt for all natural and give your kitty pumpkin puree. I give it to my Brooklyn when she is constipated. =]

Here is an article about it also: http://voices.yahoo.com/pumpkin-natural ... 20746.html

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:58 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I thought about giving kitty pumpkin for the fiber, but she is so picky I don't know if she would eat it. She already gets fiber in her food and it doesn't replace the cisapride, which acts to increase peristalsis. It would be nice if it did, because compound prescriptions are costly.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:03 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

I feel you there. My kitty Brooklyn has paralysis of her hind legs and also FELV. Her medical expenses and medications become costly too. =[

I hope you do find a less pricey alternative in the future.

Have an amazing day. =]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:57 pm 
WELFARIST!

Yes, I used to put pumpkin puree in my kitty's food as well to help his poops along but mine kind of needed a boost above and beyond the pumpkin. I was also surprised that he actually didn't seem to mind/notice the pumpkin in his wet food. It didn't stop either of my cats from eating it, but if you have a really picky cat, they might not take to it.