| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Soaked oats! You've been holding out on me!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:46 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I've been meaning to try overnight oatmeal for a while. I had hot oats before work the other morning but the weather is much too hot here for that.

And for Fezza

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:10 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

fezza wrote:
I keep reading the title of this thread as "soaked cats" and getting excited.

I'm ok with that, too

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:19 am 
ugh

I just had a bowl w/raisins, maple syrup & oat milk. (ha, is it weird to soak oats in oat milk?) It was really good!

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:36 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I added the flaxseed meal in last night and the oatmeal still had some liquid left this morning. Soooooo good! Today I added blueberries, strawberries and a drizzle of maple syrup.

Thanks everyone, this is my new breakfast for the summer.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:04 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

Eeeeeeeeeeeee SIr Didders!!! Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! <3!

Thank you lovelies! <3 <3

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:15 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

The ReBar cookbook from Victoria has a great recipe for Bircher Muesli.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:35 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I'm going to have to try this too! Recently a friend of mine, after hearing that pineapple is by-far my favorite fruit, told me that I should soak oats overnight in almond milk and pineapples/pineapple juice, apparently it's delicious. I think I'm gonna try it, maybe with some mangoes and bananas thrown in in the morning (there are so many mangoes down here in South Florida right now that I have a bunch of neighbors just leaving them in front of their houses for people to take).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:46 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

i've been really slacking on my morning oatmeal consumption. (i was gung ho for a while.) i'll have to try the overnight oats method... if i remember, that is. i'll probably keep forgetting, like i've been doing.

anybody have any new combos they'd like to provide? (and what's your usual ratio?)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:57 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Mine have been pretty nice the last couple of mornings.

I have a 250ml container (just under a cup measure). I fill it about 2/5 to 1/2 full of porridge oats and then add in all the rest of my stuff to near the top. Yesterday I added about 10 almonds, maybe 6 hazelnuts, a tablespoon of dessicated coconut, a few sultanas and the liquid was equal quantities soya milk and tropical fruit juice. Today was the same only I just used orange juice instead of tropical and had run out of hazels. They were both pretty tasty.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:01 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

1/2 cups oats, one cup nut milk of your choice but soy works best, I think. Cinnamon, banana, maple syrup, walnuts. Cinnamon, blueberries, maple syrup, peanuts. Im boring with my combos. And I normally add the cinnamon in at night so it soakes in really well. And I also eat my soaked oatmeal cold. So not great in the winter. Still havent found a way to do them overnight in the crockpot without sticking. Must work on that before it gets really cold!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:28 pm 

GraciaKai wrote:
Still havent found a way to do them overnight in the crockpot without sticking. Must work on that before it gets really cold!
maybe try a smaller crockpot? they sell one that's a 2 cup capacity. that might be perfect. (don't know if it's safe to run overnight though) ohhhh! i bet it'd work perfectly on a timer!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:33 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The few times I made overnight oatmeal in the crockpot I made enough for multiple servings. And once I used a crocpot liner. The oatmeal stuck either way. I think you need to do it in a water bath but I dont have a dish that fits in my crockpot.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:35 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I should do this. I am pretty much and oat virgin. I eat a crappy instant (organic at least!) oatmeal most mornings. But if I can soak at night, and bring into work in a tupperware, that would be good!

Help me lose my oat virginity.

Just regular oats at the bulk bin/store right? not steel cut or instant or anything I am assuming.

Do like 1/4 cup oats + 1/2 cup soymilk? Good ratio? maybe a little more milk?

Do you guys add sugar or sweetners the night prior or the morning of? I will probably use vanilla soymilk since that is what I buy for my coffee anyways, so I won't need it all that sweeter. Looks like if I add nuts add the night before, unless I want them crunchy. Add fruit the next day too.

I used to LOVE musli when I was a kid. I think that my local bulk place sells it too, pre-mixed by the lb. Might try some of that too. I just have to watch the portions. That's why I do the crappy instant, it's only 150 calories....but if I measure out, I should be ok.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:41 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

The nuts get crunchy in a different way if you soak them overnight! At least, almonds and hazelnuts and brazils do - cashews and walnuts tend to soften, it's true.

I add everything the night before unless it's something like toasted nuts or coconut or chocolate chips. Dried fruit absorbs the liquid and plumps up. It's true I don't tend to use soft fruit, but I have added smoothie the night before. As long as you keep it in the fridge overnight nothing bad happens to it and I think it helps the flavours to meld.

I don't tend to add sweeteners like sugar or agarve to mine, just fruit or fruit juice. My soya milk is unsweetened.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:51 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

My soy milk is usually the vanilla kind, so I don't think I will add sweeteners either, just fruit/nuts.

I can't wait to go grocerry shopping this weekend now. and buy oats. and nuts. Shhhh don't tell anyone I look forward to shopping for oats and nuts.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:05 pm 

i really like the canisters of generic organic oats from superfresh (a&p, pathmark etc. greenway, i think it's called.)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:49 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

1 serving of old fashion rolled oats is 1/2 cup. So I put 1/2 cup in a tupperware container with 1 cup of soymilk and some cinamon. I let soak overnight. Then in the morning I add maple syrup, nuts, fruit, and raisins. For a while I was stiring in some peanut butter.

I made the mistake of trying to soak steel cut oats once. It does not work!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:11 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I love overnight oats! I soak dried fruit and nuts with the oats and add ground flaxseed and cinnamon when it's ready to eat.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:34 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

One of my favourite breakfasts but I keep forgetting to make it up the night before. I'm a bore and need to start experimenting. All I add is soy or a nut milk, chia seeds, maple syrup and vanilla extract.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:57 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i like both soaked rolled oats and soaked steel-cut oats (horse food, basically).... today i had a bowl with my flaxseed and about 2c of fresh berries. omg

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:47 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

I love overnight oats, been eating them for a month now. Perfect for transporting to work too which is a huge plus for me since the mornings for me a rush to get out the door, rush to the gym, rush to work. I like to soak the oats with almond milk, flax meal, cinnamon, and dried fruit. I should start adding more fruit to them though cause mid-morning I get a little hungry.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:48 am 
Flounceiad 2011

I need to better about eating breakfast on super-busy school mornings, and am seriously intrigued. Will it with the McCann's Irish (or other steelcut) oats??

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:53 am 

i totally forgot to put them together last night. i had all intentions, but then i did the dishes and forgot. luckily the dog woke me up at 4:00 to go outside, and i remembered then. i just soaked the oats in my soymilk, and in the morning, i sprinkled some cinnamon and agave in it. oh man! it's so good!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:53 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I didn't use McCann's, but when I tried it with steel cut I thought it was inedible. They were still hard and didn't really change at all. But you could do overnight steel cut oats in a crockpot. But that isn't just soaking them it's heating them as well.

I read somewhere that this works though. Boil some water and then turn it off. Add steel cut oats and then put a lid on it. And let it soak overnight. Then they will be cooked and ready to eat in the morning. I haven't tried it though because I don't like the idea of leaving my oats sitting out on the stove all night long.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:57 am 

i bet you can do a combo soak/crockpot. make some soymilk ice cubes, put 1 or 2 in the crock pot with the rest of the soymilk and oats, put the crockpot on a timer and start it a few hours before you wake up. i might try this. hopefully i hadn't yardsaled my 2 cup crockpot. hopefully i can find the lid.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next