| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 586 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 24  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Plus Size Fashion Conscious ladies!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:46 am 
WRETCHED
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:54 pm
Posts: 7994
Location: Maryland/DC area
I agree, I was just surprised by their clothes but I was desperate so I went there. I wouldn't have gone, given the name, but I was glad I did.

_________________
You are all a disgrace to vegans. Go f*ck yourselves, especially linanil.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plus Size Fashion Conscious ladies!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:55 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:14 pm
Posts: 3295
Location: NJ/Philadelphia
I havent been in a dress barn in a really long time! But that dress is adorable!

_________________
"Gnome kicking says a lot a man's character." - Babbette


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plus Size Fashion Conscious ladies!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:37 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 3506
Location: Toronto
Wanted to thank everyone for the Levis Curve ID suggestion. Internet said I'd be a bold curve (I've got a pretty pronounced hourglass shape), the bold curves DID NOT FIT and were like all my nightmares of jean shoppings. So were the demis. Finally tried on the slight curves and they rock! So...don't necessarily go by the ID, but I did find some awesome dark skinny jeans and I've been wearing jeans for the first time in about five years!

_________________
"I'd rather have dried catshit! I'd rather have astroturf! I'd rather have an igloo!"~Isa

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plus Size Fashion Conscious ladies!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:45 pm 
Discovered unobtainium
User avatar
Online

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 11059
Location: VA
Awesome! I might have to check those out too.

I was disenchanted with the Levis store when I first lost weight and needed a small size. The women's were too big on the waist and juniors didn't allow hips. It was so stressful and frustrating.

_________________
"This is the creepiest post ever if you don't know who Molly is." -Fee
"a vegan death match sounds like something where we all end up hugging." -LisaPunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plus Size Fashion Conscious ladies!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:27 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:25 pm
Posts: 3454
Location: Nashville, TN
GraciaKai wrote:
Do any of you get irritated at the "plus" sized models on websites? I feel like none of them are really plus sized. And I know it's internet advertising and they are all airbrushed and everything. But thighs don't look that soft and perfect! I'm plus sized in real life and that means I have rolls, and flabby arms, and vegemite! Why can't any of the models represent that?

VENTING!


A little late here, and I can't find the link, but I read an interview with a "plus size" model at some point who basically said most of them are just like standard size 10-12's and actually have to wear padding to fit into the clothes. I was just below plus size (standard 14) most of my life and was always pissed that the plus sized models looked so much smaller than I did, even though they were supposedly wearing bigger sizes.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plus Size Fashion Conscious ladies!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:28 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 3506
Location: Toronto
Just wanted to say on the jeans line, I bought new jeans at Reitmans (they're bright blue!) and they're completely awesome and they come in a large range of sizes.

_________________
"I'd rather have dried catshit! I'd rather have astroturf! I'd rather have an igloo!"~Isa

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plus Size Fashion Conscious ladies!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:20 am 
Tofu Pup
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:37 am
Posts: 12
I guess I have an idea where i should find and Buy some big plus clothes :-)...Thanks a lot!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plus Size Fashion Conscious ladies!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:07 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:14 pm
Posts: 3295
Location: NJ/Philadelphia
creep wrote:
GraciaKai wrote:
Do any of you get irritated at the "plus" sized models on websites? I feel like none of them are really plus sized. And I know it's internet advertising and they are all airbrushed and everything. But thighs don't look that soft and perfect! I'm plus sized in real life and that means I have rolls, and flabby arms, and vegemite! Why can't any of the models represent that?

VENTING!


A little late here, and I can't find the link, but I read an interview with a "plus size" model at some point who basically said most of them are just like standard size 10-12's and actually have to wear padding to fit into the clothes. I was just below plus size (standard 14) most of my life and was always pissed that the plus sized models looked so much smaller than I did, even though they were supposedly wearing bigger sizes.

So messed up! Even when I'm shopping in say Lane Bryant and I see huge posters of women in their undies they don't look remotely plus size to me. I want to see some rolls and vegemite gosh darn it!

As for the jeans thing. A friend of mine just recently got a pair of Old Navy's rock star cut and they looked Amazing on her. When I have money to shop for clothes again I will def be trying on a pair of those.

_________________
"Gnome kicking says a lot a man's character." - Babbette


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plus Size Fashion Conscious ladies!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:28 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 3506
Location: Toronto
GraciaKai wrote:
creep wrote:
GraciaKai wrote:
Do any of you get irritated at the "plus" sized models on websites? I feel like none of them are really plus sized. And I know it's internet advertising and they are all airbrushed and everything. But thighs don't look that soft and perfect! I'm plus sized in real life and that means I have rolls, and flabby arms, and vegemite! Why can't any of the models represent that?

VENTING!


A little late here, and I can't find the link, but I read an interview with a "plus size" model at some point who basically said most of them are just like standard size 10-12's and actually have to wear padding to fit into the clothes. I was just below plus size (standard 14) most of my life and was always pissed that the plus sized models looked so much smaller than I did, even though they were supposedly wearing bigger sizes.

So messed up! Even when I'm shopping in say Lane Bryant and I see huge posters of women in their undies they don't look remotely plus size to me. I want to see some rolls and vegemite gosh darn it!

As for the jeans thing. A friend of mine just recently got a pair of Old Navy's rock star cut and they looked Amazing on her. When I have money to shop for clothes again I will def be trying on a pair of those.

I'm generally a 10-12 and I picked up a pair of the 12s at Old Navy the other day and I swear to God I would have thought they were a 6 had I not seen the label. Like I didn't even bother trying them on they were so ridiculously small. Maybe they're REEEEEEALLY stretchy...

_________________
"I'd rather have dried catshit! I'd rather have astroturf! I'd rather have an igloo!"~Isa

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plus Size Fashion Conscious ladies!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:44 pm 
***LIES!!!***
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:10 pm
Posts: 3427
j-dub wrote:
GraciaKai wrote:
As for the jeans thing. A friend of mine just recently got a pair of Old Navy's rock star cut and they looked Amazing on her. When I have money to shop for clothes again I will def be trying on a pair of those.

I'm generally a 10-12 and I picked up a pair of the 12s at Old Navy the other day and I swear to God I would have thought they were a 6 had I not seen the label. Like I didn't even bother trying them on they were so ridiculously small. Maybe they're REEEEEEALLY stretchy...


I wear a 20-22 in dress/work pants and just bought size 18 Rockstar Jeans (18 is the biggest size they come in as far as I can tell). They are AMAZING, they fit beautifully, and make me feel awesome.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plus Size Fashion Conscious ladies!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:23 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:53 pm
Posts: 1940
Location: Joliet, IL
Old Navy carries larger sizes online, up to a size 30, but I don't think you can return them in store if they don't fit, I think you have to mail them back. There was a big uproar in the fat acceptance and fatshion communities about it because they used to carry larger sizes in store and stopped. This was a handful of years ago, I think there was a post about it, or a conversation about it on Shapely Prose.

_________________
In addition to BB creams, we now have CC creams and even DD creams. Where's my ZZ cream? I need help growing a sweet beard.-amandabear

twitter @jessilikewhoa


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plus Size Fashion Conscious ladies!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:40 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 3506
Location: Toronto
Ariann wrote:
j-dub wrote:
GraciaKai wrote:
As for the jeans thing. A friend of mine just recently got a pair of Old Navy's rock star cut and they looked Amazing on her. When I have money to shop for clothes again I will def be trying on a pair of those.

I'm generally a 10-12 and I picked up a pair of the 12s at Old Navy the other day and I swear to God I would have thought they were a 6 had I not seen the label. Like I didn't even bother trying them on they were so ridiculously small. Maybe they're REEEEEEALLY stretchy...


I wear a 20-22 in dress/work pants and just bought size 18 Rockstar Jeans (18 is the biggest size they come in as far as I can tell). They are AMAZING, they fit beautifully, and make me feel awesome.

Wow. Maybe I will brave trying them on then. Thanks!

_________________
"I'd rather have dried catshit! I'd rather have astroturf! I'd rather have an igloo!"~Isa

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plus Size Fashion Conscious ladies!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:07 am 
Discovered unobtainium
User avatar
Online

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 11059
Location: VA
The few times I shopped at Old Navy, I noticed they were really lousy at having the correct sizes on things. They might have been a mistakes 6.

_________________
"This is the creepiest post ever if you don't know who Molly is." -Fee
"a vegan death match sounds like something where we all end up hugging." -LisaPunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plus Size Fashion Conscious ladies!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:39 am 
WRETCHED
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:54 pm
Posts: 7994
Location: Maryland/DC area
Old navy does have crazy sizing. They no longer carry plus sizes in the store but they did at one point.

_________________
You are all a disgrace to vegans. Go f*ck yourselves, especially linanil.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plus Size Fashion Conscious ladies!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:26 pm 
Level 7 Vegan
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:08 pm
Posts: 1573
oh good Lard, I am in dress-shopping hell. I'm currently wearing a size 14 dress and usually if I get a 16 it is sorta unflatteringly baggy on me. Well, I ordered some Eshakti stuff to see if could find a dress for my sister's wedding (which is in 16 days eeep) and got a 14 because I didn't feel like being measured - they totally didnt fit. Fine, my fault. So my aunt - who has been designing and making clothes for 40 years - just measured me and according to eshakti's size chart, I'd be a size 20! I refuse to engage in body hate but seriously?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plus Size Fashion Conscious ladies!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:35 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:14 pm
Posts: 3295
Location: NJ/Philadelphia
That really stinks! I'm sorry. I hope you can return what you bought. I've never tried anything from Eshakti so I can't say how they run. But I normally different sizes in all designers/stores. Ordering online is always a crepe shoot for me. Sometimes I get lucky but most of the time the stuff goes right back.

_________________
"Gnome kicking says a lot a man's character." - Babbette


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plus Size Fashion Conscious ladies!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:10 pm 
WRETCHED
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:54 pm
Posts: 7994
Location: Maryland/DC area
eShakti's size chart looks pretty standard to me. I compared it to Eddie Bauer as they seem to have fairly decent sizing (not too wild one way or another) and it is basically the same. The stuff I've been buying has also been fairly true to size.

_________________
You are all a disgrace to vegans. Go f*ck yourselves, especially linanil.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plus Size Fashion Conscious ladies!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:21 pm 
Level 7 Vegan
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:08 pm
Posts: 1573
hah yeah I tend to wear mainly casual, stretchy type things and it's a whole 'nother world when it comes to fitted dresses with waists and zippers! I have a broad back like a football player apparently. Good thing is I've found a dress I love and the eshakti ones can go back.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plus Size Fashion Conscious ladies!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:50 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:14 pm
Posts: 3295
Location: NJ/Philadelphia
Yeah, I would agree that there is a huge difference in the way casual clothes fit compared to fitted and structured dresses. Always measure first to be sure! That was actually one of the things I hated most about working in bridal. No one wanted to be measured. But then when they picked a 12 and couldn't zip it up they would freak out. (Not saying that's what you did.) But I could never understand why people didn't want to be fitted properly for their dresses. You will always look better in something that is properly fitted and the correct size when it comes to formal wear! And when you wear the correct garments underneath, cause that's important too.

Glad you can return them!

_________________
"Gnome kicking says a lot a man's character." - Babbette


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plus Size Fashion Conscious ladies!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:15 pm 
***LIES!!!***
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:10 pm
Posts: 3427
I almost never buy casual clothes so I'm always highly skeptical of my friends who look the same size or bigger who claim to buy smaller sizes than me. But the casual/dressy explanation would explain it. I was thrilled/shocked to fit into Old Navy's 18, especially because before I was pregnant I couldn't fit into any of their clothes and I was 70 pounds lighter. Now that I am apple shaped instead of hourglass shaped, I can buy cheap clothes! Yay!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plus Size Fashion Conscious ladies!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:19 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:31 pm
Posts: 2023
Location: Austin, TX
I really want to get these boots but I don't think they will fit my calves, because tall boots seldom do.

Anyone here happen to have them? Or know another tall vegan boot?

_________________
blarg Lazy Smurf's Guide to Life
twitter @veganLazySmurf
Pinterest


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plus Size Fashion Conscious ladies!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:27 pm 
Semen Strong
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:10 pm
Posts: 18627
Location: Cliffbar NJ
I got a pair of Rockstars at the outlet for $20. They are really comfy.

_________________
But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plus Size Fashion Conscious ladies!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:28 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:14 pm
Posts: 3295
Location: NJ/Philadelphia
Those are awesome, but if your calves are anything like mine they won't fit. Not even plus size boots fit my calves! I think I ordered like 4 pair one year from the internet and none of them fit.

Does it tell you what the circumference is? Sometimes you can measure your calf and then see if it will work.

_________________
"Gnome kicking says a lot a man's character." - Babbette


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plus Size Fashion Conscious ladies!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:07 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:31 pm
Posts: 2023
Location: Austin, TX
GraciaKai wrote:
Those are awesome, but if your calves are anything like mine they won't fit. Not even plus size boots fit my calves! I think I ordered like 4 pair one year from the internet and none of them fit.

Does it tell you what the circumference is? Sometimes you can measure your calf and then see if it will work.


It says the circumference but for a size 6 so by my measurement that would be an inch and a half too small but I am a size ten. I don't know how they measure up? I doubt they will fit, I want them :(

_________________
blarg Lazy Smurf's Guide to Life
twitter @veganLazySmurf
Pinterest


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plus Size Fashion Conscious ladies!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:13 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:14 pm
Posts: 3295
Location: NJ/Philadelphia
It's probably only like 1/4 inch increase for each size. But you could call Steve Madden and ask someone there. Or see if there is a better size chart on the Steve Madden website.

_________________
"Gnome kicking says a lot a man's character." - Babbette


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 586 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 24  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer