| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The science of imitation milk...
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:29 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I wonder if the entire purpose of this ad, other than pointing out whats in our milks, is to get people to start calling it imitation milk rather than alternative milk.... I think psychologically Imitation has a negative connotation, where as alternative is positive

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:30 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Honestly, all that site did was make me wish I wasn't out of soy milk. I could go for some cookies and soy milk right now.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:42 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

Shelling the soybeans was fun!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:33 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

SpiceMiner wrote:
I wonder if the entire purpose of this ad, other than pointing out whats in our milks, is to get people to start calling it imitation milk rather than alternative milk.... I think psychologically Imitation has a negative connotation, where as alternative is positive

Yes, I think that was one the overall goal of the campaign. You summed up what I was trying to say much better than I did!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:49 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I didn't know anyone was attempting to imitate milk. Imitate the texture and flavor of meat and cheese, yes. Imitate milk? No.

Then again, perhaps I am biased simply because I've never liked milk. Ever.

I hated being forced to drink it for calcium as a child. In fact, I haven't purchased any milk since I first bought a quart of soymilk, discovered it was everything I always wanted milk to be, and started drinking the residual out of my cereal bowls for the first time in my life.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:24 pm 
WELFARIST!

That was so stupid. What is their obsession with shaking alt milks and why do they think you need to shake it for so long, so vigorously?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:26 pm 
WELFARIST!

Chicki wrote:
SpiceMiner wrote:

Yes, I think that was one the overall goal of the campaign. You summed up what I was trying to say much better than I did!

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:12 am 
Huffs Nooch

This is the least informative infotainment I've ever seen. There really isn't any substance their argument, which as far as I can discern is that only milk that comes from cows is "real" and that science is bad, but you can use it to make a point anyway.

I really wish I could believe that this was fake, because it's so bad I really don't know how they can take themselves seriously.
Ugh.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:37 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Fascist wrote:

I hated being forced to drink it for calcium as a child.

Completely unrelated and very unscientific, but my family had some dairy farms and I had milk pushed on me like you would not believe as a child. No not the milk that came from my cousins farm, but gallons and gallons of store bought milk. Milk at every meal, snacks, at school, before bed etc. No soda or juice, or even water, parents would give me milk.

I started puberty at 8 years old. Coincidence, perhaps. Like I said, terribly unscientific, just my own experience. And a terrible experience it was. I had to wear a bra in the 4th grade! Zits! underarm hair! it was so embarrassing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

IsaChandra wrote:
Shelling the soybeans was fun!

i cracked a coconut with a vice! most satisfying experience so far today! (i have yet to open this bottle of wine, however, so i think coconut is on its way down the list!)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:39 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

hoveringdog™ wrote:
I, for one, enjoy suckling at the sexy teat of science.

How has no one sigged this?

Anyway, I had fun but got tired of shaking and gave up. Anyway, it does seem like a kind of scared, desperate attempt considering the considerable expansion of milk alternatives popping up. There is no way that the fact stores have gone from a handful, if that, of soymilk varieties, to more than I feel like counting.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:05 am 
Dead by dawn

bekki wrote:
hoveringdog™ wrote:
I, for one, enjoy suckling at the sexy teat of science.

How has no one sigged this?

Anyway, I had fun but got tired of shaking and gave up. Anyway, it does seem like a kind of scared, desperate attempt considering the considerable expansion of milk alternatives popping up. There is no way that the fact stores have gone from a handful, if that, of soymilk varieties, to more than I feel like counting.

Yeah, there's clearly a market for plant milks, evidenced by the amount of grocery store real estate they get now (compared to even, say, three years ago.) I used to get excited when I saw plant milk in someone's cart: "Oooh, are they vegan?" But most of the time it's a cart that's otherwise full of omni foods. Maybe they're all lactose intolerant, but I suspect that some people just like the alternatives better.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:55 am 
Calls "cavemen" on that

My regular old grocery store carries lots of 'fake' milk. at least 2 brands of soy (with many different kinds, chocolate, vanilla, regular, light, organic, light vanilla etc), 2 brands or almond, and coconut. And that is just the refridgerated kind, there are also some shelf stable ones (I don't buy those)

And its a regular store (Ralph's) which is not high-end or anything. And all of them are cheaper than the healthy-ish store I shop at regularly. Soymilk at Walmart too...but expensive. Like $1.50 more than Ralphs.

yay for fake milk. I love drinking from the teat of a soybean.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:59 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Mr. Shankly wrote:
That was so stupid. What is their obsession with shaking alt milks and why do they think you need to shake it for so long, so vigorously?

I never finished shaking my milk. Got repetitive strain injury with over-use of mouse.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:12 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Personally I had fun shaking my milk.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:33 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

It kind of bugs me that the silk soymilk carton says "Shake well and drink often"

shake, yes ok I will do that.

Quit telling me how often to use your product. Sheesh. I'LL DRINK WHEN I WANT!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:40 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Chicki wrote:
My regular old grocery store carries lots of 'fake' milk. at least 2 brands of soy (with many different kinds, chocolate, vanilla, regular, light, organic, light vanilla etc), 2 brands or almond, and coconut. And that is just the refridgerated kind, there are also some shelf stable ones (I don't buy those)

And its a regular store (Ralph's) which is not high-end or anything. And all of them are cheaper than the healthy-ish store I shop at regularly. Soymilk at Walmart too...but expensive. Like $1.50 more than Ralphs.

yay for fake milk. I love drinking from the teat of a soybean.

Really? Here at Walmart it's the cheapest out of anywhere...less than $6 for a two pack of Silk. I've also noticed a lot of stores even have their own brands; Walmart, Ingles, and Food Lion all immediately spring to mind. Even my mom said that she's been buying different milks for the last two months and enjoying all the variety there is.

I also realized that i didn't finish my thought in my last post. I was trying to say that with the increase in varieties there is no way that the dairy industry isn't hurting, but somehow left of the entire end of my sentence. Geez, maybe the carageenan or evaporated cane juice is getting to me.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:01 am 
Nooch of Earl

For a while the "fake milk ingredients gameshow" commercial was on Hulu, and because of the way hulu works this meant I saw it 2-3x every time I'd watch the Daily Show. Each time I wanted to throw something at the TV because A) the things they mentioned that were all SCARY LIKE were mostly added vitamins and minerals. I mean, if fortification is bad, I guess cow's milk with vit D is out?? and B) the guy in that ad campaign looks like someone I know who peas me off.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:52 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Well, that was cute. But, seriously, coming from a country that puts fish in their orange juice and beeswax in their chocolate, you're complaining about additives?

Incidentally, what they call Science, I would call cooking. In the same way that homogenising milk and skimming to various fat percentages is more part of farming than Science.

I'm not necessarily wild about lots of additives in my milks, but I understand the purpose of most of them (making them shelf-stable etc). And that crepe about sugar was stupid.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:39 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

bekki wrote:
I was trying to say that with the increase in varieties there is no way that the dairy industry isn't hurting, but somehow left of the entire end of my sentence. Geez, maybe the carageenan or evaporated cane juice is getting to me.

I was just going to comment that. The best thing about this commercial is that it indicates the dairy industry is scared of plant milk. Hooray for things that aren't gross!

annak wrote:
the guy in that ad campaign looks like someone I know who peas me off.

Haha! I had the same experience, he looks like a guy I used to work with, who subsequently became a car salesman.....