| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Non-vegans view of vegan food I guess?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:05 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I cant even remember what I thought vegans were eating before turning vegan myself. I just knew you could survive it, but who would have thunk it's so tasty, eh?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:01 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Chicki wrote:
Gulliver wrote:
Someone I know told me today that he tells people that based on his experience of me, vegans mostly exist on a diet of wine.

Ha! me too!

Seriously. I have showed up at parties/gatherings etc where food is served. They will tell me "oh, we have wine for you!" no food. Just wine. and they don't even drink wine, they got it especially for me.

I'm ok with that.

This is basically my experience as a vegan in Brazil, if you replace wine with beer. I've said for years, if you have beer and a banana for me, I'm just fine, and people usually indulge me.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:30 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Mmm...beer and banana's. That's what she said?

sorry. sounded vaguely dirty. and delicious.

and I still love 'that's what she said' jokes like it is still 2005.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:45 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Cornelie wrote:
Tofulish wrote:
As I am eating a female partner looks at my food and goes "That looks DISGUSTING! What is it? Who would eat it?"

That is SO RUDE. Unbelievable.

YOUR MOM! is the only response I can think of.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:50 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Chicki wrote:
and I still love 'that's what she said' jokes like it is still 2005.

high five, me too!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:15 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Because he is illiterate, Gulliver thought Tofulish wrote:
As I am eating a female, [my] partner looks at my food and goes "That looks DISGUSTING! What is it? Who would eat it?"

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:21 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Cornelie wrote:
I used to think vegans ate brown rice with lentils and onions for dinner every day...

I was showing my recipe blog to my PhD supervisor and he was surprised how good it looked. Then he suddenly realised that some vegan food might actually be tasty (I've been feeding him vegan muffins and cakes forever, but I guess he didn't register that). I asked him where he thought the good flavor in his food came from. He said animal products. I asked if he liked plain chicken or ground beef. He said no.

Someday I'm going to cook all my co-workers a five course vegan meal.

Totally unrelated, but when I looked at your blog and translated it into English using Google, chickpea cutlets were called Chickpea Citizens. Love it!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:34 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Just yesterday a coworker was asking me a few questions about my diet, and at some point I started in on my veganized Southern comfort food list and talking about the nifty faux meat at Boba House in Greensboro, whereupon she exclaimed that "mock meat" was a disgusting sounding phrase and ergo the food itself must be disgusting....I was then rather stumped as to what I should call it to make it sound more appealing. The oxymoron "veggie meat," or "not-chicken" but tastes and feels like it?

Anyways, this was from someone who loves those Morning Star black bean burgers, so I shall have to point that out the next time "mock meat" comes up.

Side note: When I first heard the phrase "bean burger," I thought it sounded gross, but I now make them at home and ravenously cram them in my face. With pickles!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:56 pm 
Inflexitarian

When pregan, I knew a vegan who mentioned having a large supply of grapefruit in her trunk one time. So, I used to think vegans ate all grapefruit all the time.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:28 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I have a friend who is veggie and was vegan for a while. We've known each other for years, she knows how much I love to cook and how savvy I am about food.

I mentioned that I was vegan on twitter and she replied to say 'Oooh keep your strength up!'. Um?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:55 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

My boyfriend brought in vegan baked goods I made to his office - he brought most of them home....his coworkers were more curious about the office candy jar. :/ Yesterday though his region had a team day - they made a special stop to get him a vegan lunch from our fave Thai place - fresh spring rolls, rice and peanut sauce, his co-workers said it looked good...Tiny steps!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:40 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

ijustdiedinside wrote:
Totally unrelated, but when I looked at your blog and translated it into English using Google, chickpea cutlets were called Chickpea Citizens. Love it!
LOL!

In Dutch it says 'kikkererwten burgers' (chickpea burgers). The word 'burger' as in 'hamburger' was borrowed from English, so in that meaning it's an Anglicism for the Dutch. The normal Dutch meaning of the word 'burger' is 'citizen'.

The Dutch word for cutlet is kotelet. 'Kikkererwten koteletten' sounded kind of gross and way to long. Thus, the chickpea citizen was born.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:02 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Because their absurd minds clearly operate on the same wavelength, Gulliver and choirqueer both thought Tofulish wrote:
As I am eating a female, [my] partner looks at my food and goes "That looks DISGUSTING! What is it? Who would eat it?"

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:14 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Fascist wrote:
. . . nifty faux meat at Boba House in Greensboro. . .

Just wondering, whereabouts in NC are you from? I live near Asheville now, but grew up in Winston-Salem and visited Greensboro a fair amount (mostly to see indie movies at the Carousel). . . Boba House is awesome!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:40 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Cornelie wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:
LOL!

In Dutch it says 'kikkererwten burgers' (chickpea burgers). The word 'burger' as in 'hamburger' was borrowed from English, so in that meaning it's an Anglicism for the Dutch. The normal Dutch meaning of the word 'burger' is 'citizen'.

The Dutch word for cutlet is kotelet. 'Kikkererwten koteletten' sounded kind of gross and way to long. Thus, the chickpea citizen was born.

haha. that is a great bit of linguistics there.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:55 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

Hehehe, chickpea citizens....

choirqueer wrote:
Because their absurd minds clearly operate on the same wavelength, Gulliver and choirqueer both thought Tofulish wrote:

Punctuation saves lives, people!

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:08 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I had a bake sale for a school thing a few days ago, and I made VCTOTW peanut butter blondies topped with melted chocolate, and also some VWAV chocolate chip cookies with walnuts. They were both clearly labeled as vegan, and they sold rather well! I was only there for about a half an hour or so early in the morning, and half the people that came bought my vegan sweets and almost nothing else.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:14 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

cornflowers wrote:
I have a friend who is veggie and was vegan for a while. We've known each other for years, she knows how much I love to cook and how savvy I am about food.

I mentioned that I was vegan on twitter and she replied to say 'Oooh keep your strength up!'. Um?

Maybe she meant mental strength to keep it up? I know even now if I'm really sick or forgot to plan ahead (and therefore starving) I struggle sometimes. But now that I've discovered the veggie Cantina Bowl I think those days are over.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:41 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Oh, I hate when my/my BFs older relatives ask "But does that really get you satified?"

Duh, I have twice as much food on my plate as you do. And a hell of a lot more fiber.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:27 pm 

bekki I think she meant physical because we were talking about the physical demands of a retail Christmas, but I can't be sure!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:00 pm 
Tofu Pup

Most people tell me my food looks nice... My mum is fairly narrowminded about vegan food, although she tries it I think she's already decided beforehand that she won't like it. She's never even tried my fake margarine but refuses to so instead we have two types of margarine in the fridge which doesn't make much sense... as far as I can tell they both taste pretty much the same...

A rude girl I met at a barbeque kept going on about my Linda Mccartney sausages, like reading the ingredients list out, and started telling me about how the chickens will just kill each other anyway so we might as well eat them. Someone had told her there'd be a vegan at the barbeque and it was like she's stored up all of these things to say and couldn't wait to say them. I think she was just an arguementative person in general though.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:25 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I have non-veggie friends ask me all the time how I stay 'full' since vegan food isn't very filling.

Well, it's not really the meat that fills you up is it? I remember that CARBS and starches are what filled me up (i.e. I was always hungry on a super low carb/atkins diet thingy). And as vegans, we get plenty of those. I mean, pasta, grains, beans, BREAD, FRENCH FRIES, DESSERTS...all the super filling stuff is (or can easily be) vegan. It was never meat that filled me up, it was all the extras that went with meat.

i guess they just assume that we eat salad all the time. Or have trunks full of grapefruit.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:36 pm 

There was an ace Channel 4 documentary about why Atkins works. Really in-depth - they had identical twins in isolated sealed chambers measuring everything they ate and drank to see if there were extra ketones and all sorts. They concluded that protein makes you full.

I eat heaps of lovely plant protein so I'm always really satisfied by my meals.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:35 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

This study found no difference between high-protein and low-protein diet effect on satiety and calorie intake: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=21272705

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:50 pm 
Grandfathered In

I have heard so many people tell me they couldn't be vegan because it just doesn't fill them up. So, I guess, eat more of it?

I don't get it.